Honored Contributor

NFL News and Notes for June 2021!!!

It's June! That means training camps are just over a month away! Yea! The bad news for some players is it's June first and at four o'clock this afternoon, some will be out of a job. That's when teams can cut guys loose to free up cap space for 2021 and have it count against 2022's cap.

I expect things to be pretty interesting over the next few days. Some of the better unsigned free agents apparently have deals in place with teams that they're just waiting for their new team to clear cap space to officially sign them. We could see Deshaun Watson get moved in the near future. I don't think the Texans want that to linger too long.

The Aaron Rodgers saga looks like it'll drag out quite a bit longer as the Packers seem to feel they can eventually bully Rodgers into coming back. I'm never sure how smart it is to force a guy to play for you. The Broncos are just lurking there, waiting for the Packers to finally admit defeat and deal Rodgers.

The suspicion in Philly is that the Eagles have a deal in place for cornerback Steven Nelson and they're just waiting to get Zach Ertz's salary off the books to formally sign him. We'll find out pretty soon if that's true or not. He's an ascending younger corner (28 years old) who's been a three-year starter and played well. He's the hot name in Philly these days. 

Julio Jones could get moved sometime this week also. The Falcons likely know who his suitors are now and what they're offering. Julio going to the Titans for a second-round pick seems to be the trend right now, but we'll see. The Patriots can't be counted out.

The Cowboys may thin out their herd of linebackers this week with Jaylon Smith or Leighton Vander Esch getting moved. One of those two is likely viewed as superfluous in Dallas and we'll have to see which one (if either, or possibly both) gets cut loose. Jaylon Smith is reckless and undisciplined, while Vander Esch is more injury-prone. I don't see both being on the opening day roster, so one or the other, possibly both, could be cut loose sooner rather than later. The two kids the cowboys drafted (Micah Parsons and Jabril Cox) will likely be starting and they signed Keanu Neal as a free agent to start, so unless they play a five-linebacker set, one of the other guys is expendable. 

June promises to be a busy month with mandatory minicamps, lots of player movement, and assorted chaos. It should be fun.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for June 2021!!!

Somehting to note about Jalen Hurts first four starts last year. In the first half of games, he was as good as anyone in the league completing 62% of his passes with five touchdowns, no interceptions, three sacks, and a passer rating of 123.5. In the second half, he was horrible completing 48%, zero touchdowns, two interceptions, five sacks, and a QB rating of 53.7. Why the big difference? In the first half, the Eagles threw the ball 58 percent of the time and ran the ball 42 percent of the time. The defense had to play both the pass and run. In the second half we passed 82 percent of the time and only ran the ball 18 percent of the time. The defenses could gang up on the passing game and ignore the run.

Doug Pederson would just totally forget the running game after halftime and that hung his quarterbacks out to dry. If the defense knows what you're going to do, you're not going to be successful. If the new coaching staff mixes in the run and pass all game, we should see Jalen Hurts perform at his first-half level all game and that would be very good for Philly. It's not even like we were horrible at running the ball. We were good at it in the first half of most games, but then Doug would just ignore it for the rest of the game. A more balanced offense will likely let us see how good Jalen Hurts can truly be. If he's completing 62% of his passes with lots of touchdowns and few interceptions and a QB rating of 123.5, then this team will be very, very good.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman  @teganslaw @yellowrose @yellowBeetle 

On Twitter Sport's Illustrated picked up an interesting question asked by Albert Breer "Are the NBA Brooklyn Nets the most unlikeable team in ALL OF SPORTS? "  (the players created a team of arrogant Super Stars) Lots of other teams got votes ----The Lakers, The Red Sox, The Yankees,  Astros...the Patriots (no surprise), along with ANY sports team from Boston---and of course THE COWBOYS!!! 😏😄  There were a couple for the NBA Warriors, NHL Capitals, ....And a couple of strange entries---The Saints 🤔....and even my Spurs got one vote (must've been a Laker fan😄) ......

GOOD NEWS neither the Colts nor the Eagles were mentioned, not even once (although the Philly Flyers got one vote)....and no one mentioned my WFT (I think people feel sorry for us we dont have a real name nor mascot)....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman @teganslaw @yellowBeetle @yellowrose @sunshine45 

E2uMV4kWUAETvgJ.jpg

The Oilers no longer exist for the NFL so thats ano go, .....and I always hated the winking, feather cap wearing old Bucs mascot, don't care for the old Patriots logo.......The retro Steelers is kinda weird.......But I ALWAYS preferred the old Bronocs, Dolphins, and HATE the newest Rams logo, would prefer the retro one... With all the PC and other things going round we'd never get our old logo back...😥.What do the rest of you think????

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like the horseshoe better than the old Colts' logo. I like the Falcons, and don't think that it looks much different from the new one. The Dolphins' is also nice looking. 

Former Colts' safety, Malik Hooker, has visited Dallas and Miami and is reported to consider one of those teams. He is a good player and will be an asset to whichever team he decides on. His contract ended so he became a free agent instead of going with a new contract. Wishing him well, even if he does choose Dallas. Woman Happy

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

I like the horseshoe better than the old Colts' logo. I like the Falcons, and don't think that it looks much different from the new one. The Dolphins' is also nice looking. 

Former Colts' safety, Malik Hooker, has visited Dallas and Miami and is reported to consider one of those teams. He is a good player and will be an asset to whichever team he decides on. His contract ended so he became a free agent instead of going with a new contract. Wishing him well, even if he does choose Dallas. Woman Happy

@teganslaw 

Yep, I like the Colt's horseshoe better than the bucking colt with the helmet......

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Albert Breer must not have polled any Giants' fans. They would probably rank the Eagles as the most unlikeable team. They're convinced the only reason they didn't win the Super Bowl in 2020 was because we refused to beat the WFT. Then we stole Devonta Smith from them in the draft. They're a pretty unhappy group of fans when it comes to the Eagles.

As to the old logos, I'd pick the Eagles. I think I still have a sweatshirt with that logo on it. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Just wanted to join in here as I agree with @gardenman, I think the Eagles logo was the best one!  I don't really remember that one and of course the Patriots as I love my boys from Boston........sorry @Spurt   (LOL).   

Honored Contributor

I had to look up the modern Falcons logo as I thought that was the modern Falcons logo. The modern one has some red stripes but is otherwise the same.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LindaSal wrote:

Just wanted to join in here as I agree with @gardenman, I think the Eagles logo was the best one!  I don't really remember that one and of course the Patriots as I love my boys from Boston........sorry @Spurt   (LOL).   

@LindaSal 

So sorry Linda the response was from the Twitter gang.......actually Im a bit neutral on the Patriots since my WFT is in the NFC I just didnt care for their retro logo, prefer the newer one........Continue to pour out your love for your Boston Boys 😉.......