Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for June 2020!!!

@Spurt 

Yeah, the NFL is kind of weird with QBs. Most guys get one or two shots to prove they belong and if they don't thrive, they're tossed aside and largely forgotten. You'll have guys like Josh McCown and Ryan Fitzpatrick who'll hang around and get a few shots at starting, but they're the exceptions.

RGIII had two shots, one with the Redskins and one with the Browns and didn't grab either job by the throat, so he's old news these days. If you're looking for a guy like him, Jameis Winston or Mariota would be ahead of him on the list.

His best chance is if whoever is the Ravens' offensive coordinator or QB coach gets a head coaching job someplace and wants a guy who knows his system. Despite John Harbaugh's success as a coach though he hasn't spawned a lot of successful head coaches from his staff. (Are there any? Hmm... I can't think of one.) If he's not spawning new head coaches then it's really bad news for RGIII.  

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@wakefield64 wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

@Spurt 

Getting a starting job at 30+ isn't easy in the NFL. Most teams will view him as a guy who had his chance and didn't grab it. They'll invest in a kid instead. If a Ravens offensive coach lands a head coaching job elsewhere and that team needs a QB, RGIII might get a shot, but it's more likely even then they'd go with a kid.

A politician has now suggested that the Patriots sign Colin Kaepernick and make him their starting QB. As a nonfan of the Patriot's I support this completely. Watching them go 0-16 could be pretty entertaining. Most of the people who think CK should be in the league and starting, don't really understand football. (As an aside, I could see the Patriots making a move for RGIII if things went badly early on and they weren't trying to throw the season to draft Trevor Lawrence. RGIII is experienced and relatively affordable without being too insane. RGIII and Belichick might not be an ideal pairing, but it could be an option. I'm not so sure the Ravens would just give him away though.)

It's going to be an interesting year in the old NFL. I can't wait for it to start.

There is no way that Belichek would ever sign Colin Kaepernick for various reasons. Just my opinion. 

Agreed. CK is not a Belichick kind of guy. As a nonfan of the Patriots though, it would be fun to watch.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@Spurt 

Yeah, the NFL is kind of weird with QBs. Most guys get one or two shots to prove they belong and if they don't thrive, they're tossed aside and largely forgotten. You'll have guys like Josh McCown and Ryan Fitzpatrick who'll hang around and get a few shots at starting, but they're the exceptions.

RGIII had two shots, one with the Redskins and one with the Browns and didn't grab either job by the throat, so he's old news these days. If you're looking for a guy like him, Jameis Winston or Mariota would be ahead of him on the list.

His best chance is if whoever is the Ravens' offensive coordinator or QB coach gets a head coaching job someplace and wants a guy who knows his system. Despite John Harbaugh's success as a coach though he hasn't spawned a lot of successful head coaches from his staff. (Are there any? Hmm... I can't think of one.) If he's not spawning new head coaches then it's really bad news for RGIII.  

@gardenman 

Here's John Harbaugh's coaching tree--

Assistant coaches under Harbaugh who have become NFL head coaches:

Coach Team(s) Year(s)

Rex RyanNew York Jets, Buffalo Bills2009–2016
Hue JacksonOakland Raiders, Cleveland Browns2011, 2016–present
Chuck PaganoIndianapolis Colts2012–2017
Jim CaldwellDetroit Lions2014–2017
Gary KubiakDenver Broncos2015–2016
Mike PettineCleveland Browns2014–2015

These two had somewhat of a success 

Here's Chuck's record---

In his six seasons as the head coach in Indianapolis, Pagano led the Colts to a 53-43 regular-season record, including a 3-3 mark in the playoffs. He led the Colts to two AFC South Championships (2013, 2014), three consecutive playoff appearances (2012-14) and an appearance in the 2014 AFC Championship Game. 

Gary Kubiak compiled a record of 82 wins and 75 losses in his coaching career with the Houston Texans and Denver Broncos. 

But the others.....I think just their names speak for themselves....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@wakefield64 wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

@Spurt 

Getting a starting job at 30+ isn't easy in the NFL. Most teams will view him as a guy who had his chance and didn't grab it. They'll invest in a kid instead. If a Ravens offensive coach lands a head coaching job elsewhere and that team needs a QB, RGIII might get a shot, but it's more likely even then they'd go with a kid.

A politician has now suggested that the Patriots sign Colin Kaepernick and make him their starting QB. As a nonfan of the Patriot's I support this completely. Watching them go 0-16 could be pretty entertaining. Most of the people who think CK should be in the league and starting, don't really understand football. (As an aside, I could see the Patriots making a move for RGIII if things went badly early on and they weren't trying to throw the season to draft Trevor Lawrence. RGIII is experienced and relatively affordable without being too insane. RGIII and Belichick might not be an ideal pairing, but it could be an option. I'm not so sure the Ravens would just give him away though.)

It's going to be an interesting year in the old NFL. I can't wait for it to start.

There is no way that Belichek would ever sign Colin Kaepernick for various reasons. Just my opinion. 

Agreed. CK is not a Belichick kind of guy. As a nonfan of the Patriots though, it would be fun to watch.

I totally agree, but we will have enough entertainment watching Brady’s “replacements.” Lol.

Honored Contributor

The NFL and NFLPA are reportedly talking about opening training camp two weeks early and eliminating two preseason games. Opening camp two weeks early would compensate for no minicamps, and cutting two preseason games would limit the strain on players. Limiting preseason games might be a hardship for teams with new coaches.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@Spurt    Have you ever seen a Colorado mule deer?  No comparison to those Texas things.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Phillip Rivers is "aggravated" (his words) by analysts saying that he's washed up. He didn't have a good O-line with the Chargers; now that he's with Indy, he'll have better protection. Maybe all this talk will get him motivated, which will be good for the Colts. 

Despite some posters dissing Houston; I liked living there. That was 30 years ago, though, so probably take into consideration that the city has changed. It sounds like it's not for the better. 

Expect Kaepernick to stay in the news for awhile. He won't be playing in the NFL, but he's not going away anytime soon. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

Rivers is one of those guys who never won "the big one." In his draft class, you also had Eli Manning and Ben Roethlisberger who have won multiple Super Bowls. He's been a good quarterback and has earned lots of awards but he's not a QB I think of as being "scary." (I put Matt Ryan, Matthew Stafford, Andy Dalton, and some other "good" QBs in that same category.)

They have good stats, but they don't scare me. When on a good team and surrounded by good talent, they can play very well. I just don't see those guys lifting a team though the way an Aaron Rodgers or other "scary" QBs can lift a team. They're more of a technician at QB than a magician. If a play is there, they'll make it, but if things break down, so do they. Guys like Rodgers, Wentz, Lamar Jackson, DeShaun Watson, can make something out of nothing. They're freaking magicians on a football field. 

Rivers can prove the doubters wrong by playing very well this year, but he still won't scare me. There's nothing wrong with being a technician at QB. Tom Brady is one. So are lots of other QBs.  Modern defenses are better suited to stop technicians than magicians though. Modern defenses know what the technician QBs will be trying to do and have moves to counter it. It's a lot harder to counter the guys who don't even know what they're going to do until they do it like the more magical QBs.

Speaking of Wentz, an interview new Cowboy defensive tackle Gerald McCoy did in June of 2019 is making some news. In that interview, he was asked who was the better QB, Wentz or Dak and he answered Wentz without hesitation. That could make things a bit awkward for him around Dak. (Assuming Dak ever shows up to report.)

Jerry Jones really needs to get something done with Dak, and soon. The Jones family silence in recent days has gotten some players a bit upset. Richard Sherman has called out JJ for not taking a vocal public stand on racism. Signing Dak could help to defuse things a bit and give the press something else to focus on.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

Jerry Jones has made it very clear on how he felt about the kneeling, and unlike

Drew Brees he doesn't feel the need to apologize for his opinion.  I could write a few paragraphs on this topic, but I'm all talked out about it.  Smiley Happy

I see Erin Andrews has come out with a line of NFL clothing (sorry if this is old news,

it's new to me)  I just purchased her t-shirt to try out.  It doesn't "scream" Dallas

Cowboys, could be a good off season shirt for those who don't wear NFL gear

year round.  That would NOT be me.  LOL

Native Houstonian and proud of it, although I would never live there again.  Just

because I would never live in any large city again.

TX country living is my happy place.  Hope you all are living in your

Happy Place. Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Spurt    Have you ever seen a Colorado mule deer?  No comparison to those Texas things.

@Kachina624 

Nope, never saw a Colorado mule deer...had to look them up.....Yes, they are huge!!!!  

Now I did learn that we do have ELK in Texas...at least in the Hill Country.....

Free Range Elk Hunts Texas | All Seasons Guide Service

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”