Respected Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for June 2020!!!

Roger Goodall made a statement today stating that the NFL was wrong about how they handled players taking a knee.  CK was peacefully expressing his first amendment right.  He's been compensated to some degree but deserves to play in the NFL if that's what he wants.  So does Drew Brees!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Linmo wrote:

Roger Goodall made a statement today stating that the NFL was wrong about how they handled players taking a knee.  CK was peacefully expressing his first amendment right.  He's been compensated to some degree but deserves to play in the NFL if that's what he wants.  So does Drew Brees!

No mention of Colin Kaepernick! The whole RG statement falls short. Period.

I want to see/hear a direct and specific apology to him. His career was cut short. That needs to be remedied

I LOVED seeing the NFL players video this morning - spot on, reverent and moving.

My opinion of DB is in suspension.  I want to see what he does next - that will be key. 

Quite a revealing day on several fronts. 

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Respected Contributor

Drew Brees expressed his opinion about respecting the flag.   I respect the flag but I also respect CK's decision to take a knee during the anthem.  Goodall did not address CK and Brees did not address BLM in his original statement and therein lies the problem.  

Honored Contributor

@Linmo wrote:

Drew Brees expressed his opinion about respecting the flag.   I respect the flag but I also respect CK's decision to take a knee during the anthem.  Goodall did not address CK and Brees did not address BLM in his original statement and therein lies the problem.  

What CK and others did to silently protest had NOTHING to do with disrespecting the flag.  

When I heard DB reference his family history of military service as a reason for his stance, I stopped in shock and replayed his statement.  That changed everything for my opinion of him.

I truly think he only issued his following stmt bc of the threat to his legacy/employment. I did not find it to be authentic. But I will keep an open mind to see what he does next. 

I've never been impressed with RG - he is PHONY! 

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

"What CK and others did to silently protest had NOTHING to do with disrespecting the flag."

Here are Colin Kaepernick's own words in an interview with Steve Wyche. "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color." 

It sounds like Kaepernick thought his kneeling had at least something to do about the flag. But, what does he know? You can argue that his protests were mostly about racial injustice, but Kaepernick's own words, on multiple occasions, made it clear it was also about the flag. To argue his protests had "NOTHING" to do about the flag is a false argument. Kaepernick himself said on multiple occasions that it was at least in part about honoring or respecting the American flag. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

So is the protest about the flag or not? Everyone has their own idea, and both sides could be correct. I'm not sure Kaepernick himself knows what he wants, it could be just for attention or he could be sincere.  Nike pulled their shoes with the flag on it because Kaepernick was offended by the product.That sounds like a flag issue to me. Then he wore a Fidel Castro T shirt even though he is against police brutality. He seems to be contradictory in his beliefs. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 wrote:

NOW.....for a change of pace......looks like FOOTBALL is still going strong in terms of ratings. i am happy about that!  the final live watching 2019/2020 ratings are out for the television season.....

TOP 50 2019/2020 shows.....watched LIVE....

#1 SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL (numbers up from last year, most watched season since 2016)

#2 THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL

#3 MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL

#5 FOOTBALL NIGHT IN AMERICA, PART 3

in other sports on tv news, #43 was THE LAST DANCE (basketball)

@sunshine45 

smileys-cheerleading-755332.gif🏈 

I wonder what the TV contracts are gonna look like this time around and what networks will get what.... Rumors are that ESPN could be getting rid of some shows and with it some expensive personalities... perhaps the reason is to free up money to keep their NFL TV rights.....

• Negotiations for NFL broadcast rights are expected to heat up.......
  • Traditional media players Disney, Comcast, ViacomCBS and Fox -- the current owners of NFL rights -- are all once again the favorites to retain football broadcast rights for the remainder of the decade.
  • Amazon or another streaming service, such as ESPN+ or YouTube TV, could buy Sunday Ticket rights away from AT&T’s DirecTV, though it remains unclear if the league will negotiate that at the same time as its broadcast packages.

As much as I love my NBA Spurs,  I never cared for Michael Jordan, while he's a fantastic athlete he's  narcisstic, arrogant, and an ego as big as Texas.....not my kind of person....So I didnt watch a second of the much hyped "Last Dance"...but heard some of it didnt paint him in a very good light either as teammates spoke up....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw wrote:

So is the protest about the flag or not? Everyone has their own idea, and both sides could be correct. I'm not sure Kaepernick himself knows what he wants, it could be just for attention or he could be sincere.  Nike pulled their shoes with the flag on it because Kaepernick was offended by the product.That sounds like a flag issue to me. Then he wore a Fidel Castro T shirt even though he is against police brutality. He seems to be contradictory in his beliefs. 

@teganslaw 

I think the contradictory statements have to do with the influence of his girlfriend that has some very radical views....some say her urgings have done more to hurt than help the cause and CK....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Kaepernick's own words in multiple interviews made it very clear that his protests were at least in part, about honoring and respecting the flag. The blowback he received as a result of that stance now has him and his supporters insisting it has nothing to do with the flag, but Kaepernick's own words make it clear that the flag was a major part of his protest.

As to him being out of football, that has pretty much nothing to do with his protests and a lot to do with his contract demands and capabilities. Multiple teams have contacted him about joining their team but his contract demands (reportedly $20 million-plus a year) and his recent level of play is the reason he's not currently in the league. A large number of players still actively protest during the anthem and are still in the league and actively sought out by teams. He's not blackballed because he protests.

As to the salary issue, Marcus Mariota, a QB comparable to Kaepernick, though younger and without the distractions Kaepernick brings, signed a free-agent deal this year for two years at a total of $17.6 million. About $9.8 million per year, not $20+ million a year. In 2014 Kaepernick signed a six-year deal (that would have paid him through the 2020 season) at $126 million. His play fell off and he was benched in 2015. He then had a series of injuries, (shoulder, thumb, knee) and adopted a vegan lifestyle that resulted in him losing significant weight and muscle mass. In 2016 he restructured his contract and the restructure gave him the option of playing under the contract in 2017 or leaving to become a free agent. He opted to leave expecting to get a bigger payday from another team.

Teams that inquired were scared off, both by his asking price and also his recent injury history, his current weight/body mass, and his recent level of performance. 

Jameis Winston, arguably a better QB than Kaepernick, just signed a $1 million deal with $3.6 million in incentives with the Saints. Winston has less of an injury history and led the league in passing yards in 2019 throwing for 5,109 yards. (He also threw thirty interceptions.)

Colin Kaepernick could be playing in the NFL today if he truly wanted to play in the NFL. He only wants to play on his terms though and that's not how the world works. The only person responsible for Colin Kaepernick not being in the NFL right now is Colin Kaepernick.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

NOW.....for a change of pace......looks like FOOTBALL is still going strong in terms of ratings. i am happy about that!  the final live watching 2019/2020 ratings are out for the television season.....

TOP 50 2019/2020 shows.....watched LIVE....

#1 SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL (numbers up from last year, most watched season since 2016)

#2 THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL

#3 MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL

#5 FOOTBALL NIGHT IN AMERICA, PART 3

in other sports on tv news, #43 was THE LAST DANCE (basketball)

@sunshine45 

smileys-cheerleading-755332.gif🏈 

I wonder what the TV contracts are gonna look like this time around and what networks will get what.... Rumors are that ESPN could be getting rid of some shows and with it some expensive personalities... perhaps the reason is to free up money to keep their NFL TV rights.....

• Negotiations for NFL broadcast rights are expected to heat up.......
  • Traditional media players Disney, Comcast, ViacomCBS and Fox -- the current owners of NFL rights -- are all once again the favorites to retain football broadcast rights for the remainder of the decade.
  • Amazon or another streaming service, such as ESPN+ or YouTube TV, could buy Sunday Ticket rights away from AT&T’s DirecTV, though it remains unclear if the league will negotiate that at the same time as its broadcast packages.

As much as I love my NBA Spurs,  I never cared for Michael Jordan, while he's a fantastic athlete he's  narcisstic, arrogant, and an ego as big as Texas.....not my kind of person....So I didnt watch a second of the much hyped "Last Dance"...but heard some of it didnt paint him in a very good light either as teammates spoke up....

The new TV contracts are going to be very impressive. There are going to be lots and lots of zeroes on the end. We know that Fox, CBS, and NBC will all land some part of the new deals. ABC/ESPN will likely be involved along with Amazon, maybe HBO, Netflix, or others also. It's a very, very hot property.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!