Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for June 2020!!!

Yeah, it's just a bad situation for Sean Peyton. There's a reason the Saints let Malcolm Jenkins go in the first place, and also a reason the Eagles released him. He was still under contract with the Eagles but had made it clear he wanted to be paid more or he wasn't going to play. A lot of times teams will call a player's bluff, "You signed the contract, play under it," but the Eagles, more or less said, "Fine. Off you go then. See ya! Have a good life!" The Saints then rolled out a wheelbarrow of cash to land him, apparently forgetting why they let him go in the first place. Now he's dynamiting the team.

There are graceful ways to handle situations where a player says something you completely disagree with. "He's entitled to his opinion." "He comes from a different background than I do." "We don't see things the same way." "I understand and respect his view, even if I disagree with it."

Saying he should shut the "F" up and you no longer consider him a friend, look up to him, or respect him, isn't the ideal way to handle such situations. Even if you privately feel that way, saying it publicly is stupid.

Now Sean Peyton has two veteran players who are team leaders with one of them completely attacking and largely misrepresenting what the other one said. It's not a good situation. Kudos to Brees as he's reached out to Jenkins to try and quell things, but Jenkins isn't the type to let something like this drop. It's going to be an issue. 

I'm quite sure that Jenkins will continue at least his raised fist salute, that's he's done every game as an Eagle, and the media will focus fifty cameras on him and Brees and compare and contrast how the two behave during the anthem, and then keep it an issue as long as possible. Maybe the press in New Orleans will be kinder, but we'll have to see. It's just a bad situation for the Saints. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman 

Well the Saints cant say they didnt know what they were getting into with Jenkins....its a fine line coaches walk with some players---There are some  very talented athletes and NFL players but those that come with all that "baggage" just arent worth it....  The Raiders and Patriots found it wasnt worth it with Antonio Brown...Of course, if now the Saints find a way to release Jenkins then Jenkins will say its because he spoke out about injustice, and it will create a media nightmare for the Saints.....

WHEW!!! Im glad Ron Rivera got rid of the divas and troublemakers on our team.... some of them we sure could have used like Trent Williams, Dunbar (and look where Dunbar is now), and even Josh Norman who was a "diva".....Rivera is not going to put up with it!!!.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

And now Jake Fromm, the Bills' rookie QB is in trouble for a text he sent a girl that she posted on Twitter. In the text he said guns should be expensive so only "elite white people" could afford them. It's said the Bills are considering cutting him.

Some are calling for Drew Brees to retire. That might not be such a bad idea for him. I'm not sure his teammates will have his back this year. That can get him badly injured.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

About Jake Fromm: free speech and all that, but in this atmosphere one has to choose their words carefully. He can be pro guns, but it was careless of him to use the words "white elite." Does he not know what kind of response that would get? 

He apologized, and the Bills organization said that since his apology seemed sincere, they were going to work with him regarding his status with the team. It doesn't sound like he will be released. 

It might be a good idea for Brees to retire soon. I don't think he was wrong, just that other players won't have his back if they still feel hurt by his words. They won't go out of their way to protect him. You can't play good football unless it's a team effort, and right now the team isn't together. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Esteemed Contributor

Interesting. I just out that the text from Fromm was dated 2019 and that it was just leaked now. I don't know if that changes things, but yhis situation wasn't going on at that time. Overall, the wording could have been different. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

Interesting. I just out that the text from Fromm was dated 2019 and that it was just leaked now. I don't know if that changes things, but yhis situation wasn't going on at that time. Overall, the wording could have been different. 

And it was a private text sent to someone he thought was a friend who betrayed the friendship by releasing it now. Was it a private joke of some sort between them that's being taken out of context now? Who knows? It gets a little crazy. It wasn't something he published on social media for the world to see. You have to really hate someone to try and destroy them in this manner. It's a very tacky move.

"The world deserves to know who he really is!" No. Jake Fromm deserves the right to show the world who he truly is by his actions and not by some old text message that's leaked out. If he's truly racist, his actions will show that. And truth be told, in a free country, you're allowed to be racist as long as you don't use your racist beliefs to harm others. Freedom means being free to believe pretty much whatever you choose to believe. Laws prohibit you from using your beliefs to harm others, but they don't control what you can believe. Well, they shouldn't anyway. If we start trying to legislate beliefs, freedom dies. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman  @teganslaw 

Some people dont realize what can happen with stuff they put on social media....even if you send it to a "trusted" friend....who knows if they will in turn share it with someone else, and that person shares it with another and before you know it....the whole world knows your private thoughts....And this especially applies to those in the public spotlight....like athletes and others....

Courtney's Ed Tech Blog: Week 6: Digital Citizenship & Bullying

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman  @teganslaw 

I just think this Drew Brees interview was blown all out of proportion....I wish the critics would answer me this----so  what exactly did all the NFL anthem protests accomplish anyway?!?!??!?....certainly didnt stop the Floyd situation or improve much of anything....

To correct social injustice the NBA has developed a better plan, instead of anthem protests the players and some NBA coachea will sit down with community leaders, law enforcement and citizens and diaglogue and map out actual ways to improve things, and from there its up to the people to see that these ideas move forward.....this makes much more sense than "anthem antics" 

Honored Contributor

i have to disagree with most of you on the BREES situation. he had every right to say what he said, but those who disagree have that right also.....plus they have the right to speak out about it. now he is backtracking and saying he is sorry? the problem is, now that he said what he said, why should anyone really believe he is sincerely sorry?

CK was pretty much drummed out of the NFL for things he did and said. people were supportive of him. people disagreed with him. he took a chance, stood by his convictions and opened up an entire dialogue.

doesnt seem fair to me at all, but then again, this entire situation is all about how NOT FAIR some things are in this life......unfortunately.......

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

NOW.....for a change of pace......looks like FOOTBALL is still going strong in terms of ratings. i am happy about that!  the final live watching 2019/2020 ratings are out for the television season.....

TOP 50 2019/2020 shows.....watched LIVE....

#1 SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL (numbers up from last year, most watched season since 2016)

#2 THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL

#3 MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL

#5 FOOTBALL NIGHT IN AMERICA, PART 3

in other sports on tv news, #43 was THE LAST DANCE (basketball)

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein