Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for June 2020!!!

yes @Spurt , i have been hearing that rumor on and off the past couple of weeks. it would be "interesting" if that happens. Smiley Wink

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

John Harbaugh is a good coach who might be able to handle AB. I rather strongly suspect AB has a mental health issue or twenty of them. The right counseling combined with the right meds might just help contain his issues. 

There was a poll recently of who was the best wide receiver in the last ten years. AB would have probably been my answer. Julio, AJ, Larry Fitzgerald, and Michael Thomas have all been good, but when he was "on", AB was better. If you can get a sane version of AB back on the field, it would scare defenses. That whole "if you can get a sane version" is the big question mark.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman 

I think AB has a lot of mental issues that need to be taken care of.....John Harbaugh is an EXCELLENT coach....he's a bit more of a player kinda guy than Belichick, but he's still a bit stern and in charge....maybe Harbaugh could handle him.....that's IF AB gets all this other stuff taken care of to even get back in the NFL....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Speaking of wide receivers, Eagles sixth-round draft pick Quez Watkins was one of the guys working out with Wentz in Houston and he came away impressed. He was shocked at how big Wentz was and how powerful his arm was. Wentz taught them routes, the hand signals he uses, and more to get them up to speed for training camp. It's going to be one heck of a competition for roster spots at wide receiver in Philly this year. There are about twelve guys fighting it out over six roster spots.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

Speaking of wide receivers, Eagles sixth-round draft pick Quez Watkins was one of the guys working out with Wentz in Houston and he came away impressed. He was shocked at how big Wentz was and how powerful his arm was. Wentz taught them routes, the hand signals he uses, and more to get them up to speed for training camp. It's going to be one heck of a competition for roster spots at wide receiver in Philly this year. There are about twelve guys fighting it out over six roster spots.

@gardenman 

Maybe my Redskins can grab a WR or two that the Eagles had to let go because of limited roster spots Smiley Wink

I am ECSTATIC to learn that the Redskins never considered Colin K!!!! YAY!!! Woman Very Happy  They asked Doug Williams where Colin would be a good fit and he mentioned Andy Reid who gave Michael Vick a second chance and said when he did Reid mentioned his troubled son got a second chance..Doug said if anyone would be a good mentor and understand Colin K it would be Reid..But hey Doug I dont think Colin would want to be a backup behind Mahomes...there's no chance in hades Colin would get a lot of playing time....and Colin thinks of himself as a starting QB!!! LOL

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I was surprised to hear Doug Williams say they never even considered CK. They've taken in a few bad boys themselves over the years. 

The Andy Reid idea lacks one thing. Andy doesn't like things that distract the team. When he brought in Vick he made sure Vick understood Andy would tolerate no distractions. No press conferences by Vick, no attention-grabbing by Vick. He was to be a part of the team if he came to Philly and not an individual. Andy had had enough of that with TO and didn't want a repeat. CK would never agree to those terms. Andy is very much a team-first coach and CK is a CK first player.

I suspect quite a few teams will be looking to poach a wide receiver or two off the Eagles roster. Alshon Jeffery will likely be available. I wouldn't be shocked to see DeSean Jackson be available. (He's older, a bit fragile, and more expensive and unless he's willing to take a pay cut, he could be viewed as being expendable if the kids look good.) Last year's hero in Greg Ward might be gone also. He was the best we had last year, but he might be in a fight to make the roster this year.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Some of the "experts" are predicting a salary cap bloodletting this year if the league is forced to play to empty stadiums. They're expecting a lot of higher-priced veterans to be dumped to save cash. I'm not so sure about that. The CBA has a spending floor that teams have to meet, so they can't just cut everyone to save a lot of money. They have to spend a lot no matter what. 

Some interesting stats on Amari Cooper have emerged. He's apparently much better playing at home than on the road. In home games last year, he caught 52 passes for 869 yards and five TDs. On the road, he caught 27 passes for 320 yards and just three TDs. And it's not just that one year. In 2018 he more than doubled his yards at home and caught all seven TD passes at home. That's kind of a big dropoff on the road. Why? Does he feed off of the home crowd? Do visiting crowds get in his head? It does help explain why Garrett benched him in the Eagles game at Philly last year.

Or is it Dak doesn't throw to him on the road? Does Dak do more check downs on the road and not try to get the ball down the field? Does the crowd get to Dak? Is it an issue with the Cowboys audibles on the road where the home crowd can drown them out? A quick look at the targets shows Cooper was targeted 67 times at home to just 52 times on the road. A notable difference but not enough to really account for the difference in yardage and TDs.

In his home games, Cooper was targeted 67 times with 52 completions for 869 yards and five TDs for an average of 8.375 targets and 108+ yards per home game. In road games, Cooper was targeted 52 times with just 27 completions for 320 yards for an average of 6.5 targets and 40 yards per road game. Quite the dropoff.

I'm kind of guessing it was a combination of things with Dak, Cooper, and the o-line all combining for some share of the blame. Road crowd noise can prevent the o-line from making their adjustments letting more pressure get to the QB. More pressure on the QB makes him more likely to dump the ball off. That drops the number of targets Cooper sees.

Cooper might be one of those volume receivers who wants the ball thrown his way a lot and loses interest when it's not thrown his way making him less likely to get open and more prone to dropping the ball or not being exactly where he's expected to be. 

Will this two-year trend continue? We'll have to see.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman 

And yet despite these inconsistencies Jerrah Jones made Amari the second highest paid WR in the NFL............go figure?!?!?!?!?

The highest paid receiver in the NFL is the Atlanta Falcons' Julio Jones. He makes $22 million per season. He's followed by the Dallas Cowboys's Amari Cooper at $20 million and the New Orleans Saints' Michael Thomas at $19.3 million.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman 

D Jack was a good WR for the Redskins, but the problem was he just couldn't stay healthy.......hamstring injury, bruised shoulders, bruised shin, he missed games and left others......

Trusted Contributor

Looks like things are in line for the majority of knees to be on the ground this season.  Those standing will be the ones standing out.

I've read, I've listened, and I know a lot of people have changed their minds,

but my mind just can't get there.  Maybe another couple months will make a difference, but I don't think so.  Makes me so sad to miss another season,

I have 4 new shirts, I got my grandkids all new shirts for a family DC 

picture  Woman LOL

Laughing, but I feel like crying.

Think I'll go ahead and have the photo make....just in case. Smiley Happy