Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for June 2020!!!

After thinking about it for a bit I'm guessing they waited on punishing the Patriots so they'd have time to appeal before losing the draft pick. By waiting until after this year's draft they now have plenty of time for the Patriots to appeal before the 2021 draft.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

As a Patriots fan, I find this new really interesting. Let’s see how Cam does with Sergeant Bill. Newton has had injuries and surgery, hope he will be ready. Personally, I am not sure that football will be played considering the uptake in Covid cases.

Honored Contributor

There's an uptick in cases, but a big decline in deaths. Other sports leagues have resumed, Premiere League soccer in England, Bundesliga in Germany, Nascar, and more with more starting soon, so I suspect the NFL will start up as planned. A disease that causes no symptoms in 80% of those who get it, and mild to moderate flu-like symptoms in another 15% with just 5% having more serious issues, and those mostly being in the elderly, shouldn't be a huge hindrance to fit, young athletes.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

This move puts the Patriots less in the "Lose for Lawrence" category and more in the "Let's try to win this thing" category. It's a cheapish move for the Patriots with a max value of around $8 million. Cam Newton is an upper-tier QB when healthy. Adding someone like him to your roster could be a good move for the Patriots. The big, big question though is, is he healthy?

DeSean Jackson is working out with Eagles rookie QB Jalen Hurts this week. Pretty much all of the Eagles' players have been working out with other Eagle players at one point or another so they can hit the ground running. It'll be interesting to see how it all works out.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@yellowrose,  Cowboys linebacker, Jaylon Smith, was in my Fort Wayne, IN, area to launch a new cryotherapy center. I didn't realize that this is his hometown and he went to high school here. He does other projects outside of football. 

Cryotherapy involves immursion in ice water for several minutes; it's supose to ease imflammation and help sore muscles, but I don't know if anything else is done. It seems to be popular with athletes.

Training camp starts July 28. The teams have to hold camp at their own facilites. The Colts would have normally trained in Westfield, near Indianapolis but now have to be at a center near the stadium. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

There's an uptick in cases, but a big decline in deaths. Other sports leagues have resumed, Premiere League soccer in England, Bundesliga in Germany, Nascar, and more with more starting soon, so I suspect the NFL will start up as planned. A disease that causes no symptoms in 80% of those who get it, and mild to moderate flu-like symptoms in another 15% with just 5% having more serious issues, and those mostly being in the elderly, shouldn't be a huge hindrance to fit, young athletes.

@gardenman 

Yes thankfully deaths are declining, BUT whats happening here with gatherings of the young college age folks is that they are contracting the virus from bars and large at home parties...and now even they are being hospitalized....(the spike really grew over Memorial Day weekend, and with the 4th of July coming up...doesnt look good, especially with the city celebration at Woodlawn Lake canceled means more at home parties).....

We got a scary ALERT from our mayor to STAY HOME, if you go out wear a mask the hospitals are filling up to capacity!!! And a young nurse was interviewed and she said it was scary to see people younger than her with no secondary health conditions struggling to breathe.....

The high school football players were starting their training and it got SHUT DOWN!!!  And other openings are being reversed and shut down again or customer capacity reduced....grocery stores are limiting the number of people in the store and there's long lines again...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”