Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for June 2019!!!

@Spurt 

Yeah, young wide receivers tend to need two to three years to figure out the NFL game. Most of the kids in college did well because they were fast or big. College defenses tend to play off coverage and assume the QB won't be accurate enough or strong-armed enough to hit the receiver deep. When the kids get to the pros they're now fighting big, strong, fast DB's at the line of scrimmage and that takes some getting used to.

A guy like the Eagles JJ Arcega-Whiteside who's big but not blindingly fast, and who's had to fight for balls all through his college days tends to transition easier than the pure speed guys like a John Ross. JJ has already mastered body control, boxing out defenders, forcing defenders playing press coverage to make a misstep, and then shielding them off the ball.

John Ross with his 4.2 speed had defenders already dropping away from him in college and played with a big cushion. Football's pretty easy playing that way. It's just pitch and catch. Then he got to the pros and the DB's weren't backing off twenty yards. They were in his face. They were shoving him around. They were clutching him, grabbing him, holding him, and just generally annoying the heck out of him and he'd never had to deal with that before.

A guy like Jerry Rice, among the best receivers ever to play the game, ran something like a 4.59 forty. (Some say 4.7.) The dude was slow by receiver standards, but he knew how to play football. Most of the kids coming out of college these days don't know how to play football. They've just outrun everyone else to get to the pros. When they have to learn how to catch a DB flat-footed, force him to spin, force him into a misstep, and position themselves for the ball, they're lost. The DB's just bully them for a few years as they learn how to play the right way. If they ever do. 

JJ Arcega-Whiteside knows how to play football which made him a good pickup for the Eagles. He's not as fast as most of the rest of the receivers, but he'll likely be far more productive. The film on the kid is just amazing to watch. There's a game against Notre Dame where they put their best corner (Julian Love now a Giants fourth round pick) on him all game all over the field. JJ just schooled the guy. He had him spinning in circles. Breaking the wrong way. Caught him flatfooted. The DB was pretty much helpless against him. The ball didn't always go to JJ, but he had his guy just lost and confused. The refs could have called the DB for holding probably twenty times as that's all he could do after JJ fooled him. Even when he wasn't fooled, JJ shielded him away from the ball so he couldn't interfere with the catch. 

Drafting kid receivers is a crapshoot. Sometimes the pure speed guys grow into great receivers. More often they don't. If you can find a kid who's already playing a pro-style game grab him regardless of his speed.

Older players always want a new deal. Trent Williams isn't unusual. Malcolm Jenkins of the Eagles is playing the same game. He's the ninth highest paid safety in the league right now, but he wants a new deal. Is he the ninth best safety in the league? Eh, tricky to answer. He still wants a new deal though.

Lamar Jackson's big thing is going to be staying healthy. If he stays healthy, he could have a big year. 

I'm a believer in Baker Mayfield. The kid's got "it" whatever "it" is. It's some combination of pride, arrogance, ego, confidence, talent and more, but when you see a player with "it" you know it. Other players recognize it and play harder for the guy.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

The Colts are keeping Andrew Luck out of OTAs for now and will re- evaluate him next week. He has a mild calf strain, but Reich isn't concerned. The team is being overly cautious with all players. They had a number of injuries last season and don't want to take any chances. Luck should be good to go for training camp. 

Roger Goodell likes the possibility of shortening preseason games to two instead of four. However, if that happens the regular season might be extended to 18 games. I don't see the difference, as there would still be the same amount played. If they're going to cut the preseason to two, then still keep the rest to 16. No idea when it would take effect. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

I like an eighteen game regular season but the players are against it. I think a neat compromise would be to limit most of the players to just being able to play in sixteen games (except for punters, kickers, and long-snappers.) They could eliminate the bye week for the whole team in this manner, but each player would get two weeks off during the season. Backup players would be guaranteed at least two starts this way. Coaches and GM's could have nervous breakdowns deciding which players to rest each week. It would add even more strategy to an already strategic game. Which games do you rest your starting quarterback? How would the team you're playing that week respond? Instead of putting a guy who's a bit dinged out there, do you give him the week off? It would add an interesting new element to the games.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

The Giants had their first day of minicamp yesterday and according to at least one press report, the best QB on the field was....Alex Tanney? And apparently it was by a wide margin. Eli and Daniel Jones were both apparently off and Kyle Lauletta (last year's fourth round pick) was even worse.

Granted, it's just day one of minicamp and there's a long way to go, but as omen's go, when a 31 year old journeyman on his ninth team is by far your best QB in any session, it's a bad sign. This is when a guy like Eli or Jones should stand out from the pack based on talent alone. It didn't happen yesterday. If it doesn't happen this week that Giants offense will go into camp a bit discombobulated.

When training camp starts, you've got to have "a starter." If Tanney is still playing the best, do you have the cajones to make him the starter? Over Eli? Over Daniel Jones, your first round pick this year? Over your fourth round pick last year? I don't think so. But then the other players knowing Tanney is playing the best will start to look around and wonder what's going on. Do we want to win or not? The Giants really need either Eli or Jones to step up and start playing better, and they need it soon. If Tanney outplays them all minicamp, things could get pretty messy for the Giants.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman 

I kind of laugh when I hear the NFL players complain about how long the season is.....take a look at the other sports and their regular seasons plus playoffs/championship games. 

While it's true the NFL requires more physicality and more wear and tear on the body....we're talking about adding 2 games here!!!  First the NFLPA restricts practices and what players can and can't do, which seems to have led to more ACL and season ending injuries so it seems the NFLPA proposals haven't done the players any real favors, they are making poor decisions..

In addition to losing two preseason games, what I would propose is that the NFL does away with Thursday games in exchange for the 18 game season....and I'd increase the number of players on the roster too...and give the players a small pay raise. 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Haskins has been inconsistent in his throws, but Keenum has looked good...I hope they just let Haskins sit and learn his first season but I doubt it...but in the long term...the better plan...

Josh Norman has made some nice plays.  As has WR McLaurin......and the "peoples choice" Jimmy Moreland....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

Interesting news out of DC today. Trent Williams doesn't want a new contract, he wants a new team. He's playing the "Trade me or cut me, but I'm not playing here" card. He's apparently upset over how a medical issue was handled. This could get a tad messy. He's apparently insistent he won't play in Washington. They don't really have anyone to replace him with. Stay tuned. This could get ugly.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

@Spurt 

Interesting news out of DC today. Trent Williams doesn't want a new contract, he wants a new team. He's playing the "Trade me or cut me, but I'm not playing here" card. He's apparently upset over how a medical issue was handled. This could get a tad messy. He's apparently insistent he won't play in Washington. They don't really have anyone to replace him with. Stay tuned. This could get ugly.

@gardenman 

Trent is following the "Kawhi Leonard Strategy"  ....and I know it well...I know its not possible, but I wish the Redskins could do what my Spur's did with Kawhi and trade Trent ...to Toronto, Canada....I wonder how he'd like the CFL...and the Toronto Argonauts....😒

John Keim asked Gruden about it and Gruden said he didn't know whether Trent had any issues with the medical staff....

He's 30 and hasn't played a full season in a long time....Some say these reports are false and his absence has to do with healing and a medical issue with that tumor removal surgery, not a dispute with staff/team.....Time will tell.....

Esteemed Contributor

The Colts' late round draft pick, Javon Patterson, tore his ACL and was placed on IR. They signed G Nico Siragusa (no relation to Tony) to replace him.

What is really going on with Trent Williams? There must be more to the story than originally reported. Adrian Peterson and Trent Williams own a business together, and Peterson said that Williams never mentioned wanting out of Washington. Wouldn't Peterson have known something about this? Have to watch this situation to see what happens.

SPURT, you brought up Kawhi Leonard. It looks like things turned out OK for him; he's in the playoffs with the Raptors leading the series so far.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw wrote:

The Colts' late round draft pick, Javon Patterson, tore his ACL and was placed on IR. They signed G Nico Siragusa (no relation to Tony) to replace him.

What is really going on with Trent Williams? There must be more to the story than originally reported. Adrian Peterson and Trent Williams own a business together, and Peterson said that Williams never mentioned wanting out of Washington. Wouldn't Peterson have known something about this? Have to watch this situation to see what happens.

SPURT, you brought up Kawhi Leonard. It looks like things turned out OK for him; he's in the playoffs with the Raptors leading the series so far.

@teganslaw 

I just dont know about these reports about Trent Williams...the Washington Post has a vendetta against Snyder and the team and is always ready to blow up anything negative and exaggerate any story.  I trust John keim and Rick Snyder over Rappaport/Schefter/LaConfora...

It could be he wants one big final payday since he will be 31...But its odd that he didnt talk to AP, his business partner about it.....like more money coming to the business if I get my new deal etc...  Maybe there is an infection from his surgery to remove a tumor etc...maybe they found another tumor....who knows...

Yep, Kawhi is delivering for the Raptors, but a lot of it is the Warriors have a lot of injured players, but reinforcements should play Friday, so we will see how Kawhi and company do.  Kawhi was a bit banged up too...but he's playing hurt, but he wouldnt play for the Spurs....even though doctors said he was fine and his injury totally healed.... Péople are torn here --we hate Kawhi, but like the Raptor fans and want to see an underdog defeat the Super Team Warriors...and poor Spur Danny Green got traded to Raptors in the deal...it would be nice to see him get another ring.. nice guy..