Esteemed Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for June 2018!!!

Colts RB Robert Turbin has been suspended four games for violating the NFL policy on performance -enhancing substances. He was expected to have a larger role in the games since Frank Gore was released. Now the Colts will rely on Mack (who hasn't practiced since his surgery) and on rookies Nyheim Hines and Jordan Wilkins. Turbin will probably have to fight for his place in the starting lineup. I don't know how badly this will impact the team. Mack and Hines are both talented, so maybe this won't be such a big deal. It also depends on how the Colts establish the running game; maybe they'll go more for throwing. Time will tell how this plays out. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Rookie Redskin R Derrius Guice raised $21,000 for Cancer Center.

Guice was inspired by seeing the mother of his best friend successfully undergo treatment at the Mary Bird Perkins Cancer Center in his hometown of Baton Rouge, and so he decided to raise money for the center, and on Friday night he presented it with a check for $21,112.

"I just wanted to donate so they could do more research,” Guice said. “I just feel like there’s more and more you can always do to help find a better cure, or just keep finding little things by little things to find a cure for cancer.”

Guice set up an online fundraiser that included offering to play a game of Fortnite with anyone who sent in $5, putting $25 donors in a drawing to receive signed LSU cleats, $50 donors could go bowling with Guice, and $100 donors were entered in a drawing to win two tickets to this season’s Washington-New Orleans game. Guice said he thought when he came up with the idea that it would raise $5,000 and was pleased to see fans step up with more than four times that amount.

“We raised over $21,000 dollars,” Guice said. “My first time doing something like this

WTG Derrius!!!-If this guy can deliver on the field as he has off the field, the Redskins certainly will have gotten one terrific kid HTTR Woman Very Happy

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@yellowBeetle

Thought you'd get a kick out of this, a fan called Dan Snyder "A Jerry Jones starter kit".....Woman LOLWoman LOL  And a columnist said Snyder will never be a great owner, nor a decent owner, the best thing he can do for the team is STAY OUT OF THE WAY!!! LOL!!!

And speaking of band wagon jumping fans....Although publically they say they are all for it, privately. It appears that the LA Rams are a bit worried about NBA Star LeBron James possibly coming to the Lakers.....Dollars that sport's fans in the LA area can spend are limited (celebrities being the exception) and the Rams are worried that their newly established fan base will chose to give their money to the Lakers if LeBron signs with LA......And this certainly spells a certain doom for the LA Chargers who haven't stirred up much of a following....

In the 1980s, it was the Lakers, even with the Rams and Raiders in town. And just as the Rams could be closing in on taking over, LeBron would likely put the Lakers right back where they once were, eclipsing the town’s football, baseball, and hockey teams.  

Some of the football fans in California admitted that LA fans are the most fair weather fans in America......If Lebron does go to LA, it will be interesting to see if the Lakers have an impact on the 2 NFL teams if this NBA deal takes place.....I think the Chargers are doomed....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I thought this was a bit interesting....it seems that some are now questioning Andy Reid's move to get rid of Alex Smith, not everyone is sold on Patrick Mahomes....some doubt that he will be capable of matching Alex Smith's 10 wins  ............

And QB prices may be going up again as the Packers promise to get Aaron Rodgers a new deal soon.....

And the big question remains for the NY Giants---did they upgrade their offensive line enough to help Eli and the offense?  Some say don't expect to see improvement right away, linemen from college need time to learn and grow before they can make a statement in the NFL, especially those that came from colleges that used the option a lot, and then they need time to gel with their teammates.....then there is the whole Ereck Flowers issue...And does FA Nate Solder really have the talent they need and is he really worth all the money they gave him??????

Just for @Txblond---  With the loss of Witten and Bryant the Cowboys plan to use more four receiver sets and more short passes with Beasley and Austin as primary targets..........

Oh Oh--we hope this doesn't mean HEAR WE GO AGAIN....Redskins have Brandon Scherff's contract coming up and the contract that the Cowboy's Zack Martin got means that the Redskins will need to pay more to keep him.... PLUS the Redskins also have WR Jamison Crowder and LB Preston Smith ready to become free agents.  They have 13 mill in cap space but it looks like they may have to cut over-priced veterans like Vernon Davis, Jason Reed, or Josh Norman....JMHO but Reed has been essentially WORTHLESS and so ineffective because he's never on the field and ALWAYS hurt---he should have been cut long ago......The whole scary thing about all this is we have Bruce Allen making these decisions and contracts and we know how well he did with the Kirk Cousins fiasco...Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

That Giants o-line will be scary for Eli. Five new starters, several of them rookies, isn't confidence inspiring. Moving Flowers to right tackle exposes him to the more dominating pass rushers in the NFC East and he's never looked good. Now he's playing a new position against better competition and when he fails, it'll be right in Eli's line of sight. Eli's inclined to fold when he sees the rush coming, and he might see the rush coming a lot with Flowers out there.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

That Giants o-line will be scary for Eli. Five new starters, several of them rookies, isn't confidence inspiring. Moving Flowers to right tackle exposes him to the more dominating pass rushers in the NFC East and he's never looked good. Now he's playing a new position against better competition and when he fails, it'll be right in Eli's line of sight. Eli's inclined to fold when he sees the rush coming, and he might see the rush coming a lot with Flowers out there.

@gardenman

And even promising RB Barkley will need the OL to make some holes for him to run .........

Yep, Eli should be nicknamed "poker" because Eli knows when to hold 'em, knows when to fold 'em.....Woman LOL  Not tthe most elusive NFL QB......

Image result for cat playing poker

This is what I don't understand....Vegas odds for Giant's  to make the Super Bowl are 40 to 1, while the Redskins are 100-1--SAY WHAT?!?!??!?!??!?

Patriots are 6 to 1 and Eagles are 10 to 1

http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id/23651813/nfl-full-betting-outlook-all-32-nfl-teams-2018-season

Trusted Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@yellowBeetle

Thought you'd get a kick out of this, a fan called Dan Snyder "A Jerry Jones starter kit".....Woman LOLWoman LOL  And a columnist said Snyder will never be a great owner, nor a decent owner, the best thing he can do for the team is STAY OUT OF THE WAY!!! LOL!!!

And speaking of band wagon jumping fans....Although publically they say they are all for it, privately. It appears that the LA Rams are a bit worried about NBA Star LeBron James possibly coming to the Lakers.....Dollars that sport's fans in the LA area can spend are limited (celebrities being the exception) and the Rams are worried that their newly established fan base will chose to give their money to the Lakers if LeBron signs with LA......And this certainly spells a certain doom for the LA Chargers who haven't stirred up much of a following....

In the 1980s, it was the Lakers, even with the Rams and Raiders in town. And just as the Rams could be closing in on taking over, LeBron would likely put the Lakers right back where they once were, eclipsing the town’s football, baseball, and hockey teams.  

Some of the football fans in California admitted that LA fans are the most fair weather fans in America......If Lebron does go to LA, it will be interesting to see if the Lakers have an impact on the 2 NFL teams if this NBA deal takes place.....I think the Chargers are doomed....

@Spurt

Loved it ... thanks!!! "A Jerry Jones starter kit!!""Woman LOL And "Stay out of the way" is great advice!!! Woman Happy Cat Wink

As to your post about Guice, I liked him so much during the run-up to the draft. He was a guest on various shows like the GMF one and he came across as so personable and genuine and eager to do well. That is terrific how he raised all of that $$. Your Redskins were lucky to get him ... I wanted him to come to the Eagles!!Woman Wink

Poor, poor Eli if this new offensive line doesn't work out! (Btw that poker playing kitty is so adorable!! Cat Wink

And from the times I saw him play last year, I was really impressed with Alex Smith. He seems like a really nice guy, too. 

Enjoy!! Woman Happy

Super Contributor

Thanks for the info Spurt!

Trusted Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

@gardenman

And even promising RB Barkley will need the OL to make some holes for him to run .........

Yep, Eli should be nicknamed "poker" because Eli knows when to hold 'em, knows when to fold 'em.....Woman LOL  Not tthe most elusive NFL QB......

Image result for cat playing poker

This is what I don't understand....Vegas odds for Giant's  to make the Super Bowl are 40 to 1, while the Redskins are 100-1--SAY WHAT?!?!??!?!??!?

Patriots are 6 to 1 and Eagles are 10 to 1

http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id/23651813/nfl-full-betting-outlook-all-32-nfl-teams-2018-season

@Spurt

Some of those predictions are head-scratchers!! Definitely would not put the Redskins tied at the bottom! And I would not put NE at the top! 

Of course I think the Eagles should be ranked first! Woman Happy NE lost some key players ... and Brady will most likely start slowing down a bit.

I think Jacksonville could have a big year on the AFC side.

And in the NFC East after the Eagles, I think any of the other three could wind up in second place in the division ... all of them have the potential to do well, imo. Of course if this new offensive line for the Giants proves to be a bust then that will spell trouble. But if it can protect Eli, then I think the Giants could be formidable with Eli, Saquon, and Odell! And both Alex Smith and Dak could certainly have good seasons. So the NFC East looks strong, imo!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@yellowBeetle

You can tell it's the slow time of the NFL season when all the NFL analysts come up with these "what if" scenarios---Such as who would you rather have:  ELI MANNING OR (the current QB of each team)...Surprisingly they chose Eli over Alex!!!  I don't get that---Alex is more mobile than Eli, Alex interacts with teammates and shows more leadership,  Eli is 37 and Alex is 34...and some said that Eli was partially to blame for the Giants poor win/lose record too!!!  GO FIGURE!!! Woman Frustrated

At least for the Wentz/Eli comparison they did wisely pick Wentz.....