Trusted Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for June 2018!!!

@Spurt wrote:

@Txblond wrote:

Hey there Spurt -  Thanks for keeping me up-to-date on Jerry and the Boys.  I don't have to read the Sports page everyday.  LOL.   By the way,  when was the last time the Redskins won the Super Bowl , or even beat the Cowboys??

G-man,  sorry about your health problems, and hope you are doing better!

@Txblond

Oh you are very welcome Smiley Wink I probably get the same Cowboy news as you do..

But the purpose of the post is that Texas is such a FOOTBALL HOTBED where FOOTBALL is the KING of all sports and at ALL levels--from Pop Warner, to High School, to College to the NFL!!!.....And for the 2 NFL teams to be sinking in popularity in TEXAS is BIG NEWS! Whats wrong with all your fellow Boyz fans..???? .

I am a realistic Redskin fan and certainly popularity for my team has plummeted since Job Gibbs left, and fans don;t like our owner either --I think he ranks 2nd as most hated in the NFL (#1 is probably YKW Woman LOL) The Redskins last Super Bowl was back in 1992 (maybe the NHL caps broke the DC curse)....and there is no longer a waiting list for tickets......

But the DC area was never known as a FOOTBALL HOTBED except for the Joe Gibbs era at good old RFK.  Baseball seems to be the most popular sport right now in the MD/DC/VA area...(I think @yellowBeetle can back me up on this).

There are small signs the Redskins are starting to turn it around....but they have a ways to go...but at least Im not a band wagon jumper.......I stick with my team through thick and thin...but it looks like the Cowboy/Texan fans don't!...

@Spurt

Everything you said about the Redskins is what I noticed when we lived in the Washington DC area up until 11 years ago  ... and what I hear is going on now from my best friend (since kindergarten!) who still lives in suburban Maryland.

My friend is a perfect example. She was always a truly loyal Redskin fan ... and a very, very enthusiastic fan ... up until about 10 years ago. Now she has become a fanatic about the Washington Nationals! She told me that now she often  doesn't even watch the Redskins! I have told you that we became Eagle fans back around 2002 (when we were still living in the DC area!) after seeing the mess that Snyder was making of the team. My friend back then thought we were crazy to abandon the Redskins! But now she has done the same thing ... although she has not latched onto another NFL team.

It is a shame, though, what has happend to the team over the last generation...our son's generation. When I was growing up and into my adulthood, Washington loved and adored the Redskins! There were never seats easily available for games! Season passes were prized possessions passed down through generations! The Redskins were one of the few things that could unite the politically polarized atmosphere of Washington. The D and R labels were forgotten and just about everybody rallied around the Redskins! But then with the faltering play and change in ownership post Joe Gibbs and Jack Kent Cooke, the Redskins have lost their revered status.

I still have a place in my heart for the Redskins!! Just about everyone growing up in the Washington area (pre-Snyder/Allen) loved the Redskins. I think for those of us who remember the team the way it was before Snyder and Allen it just is so sad to see what they have done to the team. But now I am actually a little hopeful, for two reasons, that maybe the tide will finally turn. I think it is a great sign that Gruden is there for another season. There has been such a sense of instability since 1999 when Dan took over that it is refreshing to see a coach start his fifth season! And I think Alex Smith may prove to be a really smart move! Time will tell ... but even though I am now a strong fan of the Eagles, I would love to see the Redskins do well, too! (Not as well as the Eagles, lol, but certainly better than they have done! Woman Happy)  

Honored Contributor

@yellowBeetle

Thanks for backing me up on the status of sports in the DC/MD/VA area.  You said the same thing that I heard from folks living in the area.  

Yep, Dan Snyder/Vinny Cerrato took what JCK and Joe Gibbs built and destroyed it.....And people turned their attention to the Nats....You outlined everything so well..........Snyder had a chance when he hired Marty Schottenheimer, but they both butted heads (Marty knew best but Snyder wouldn't listen so Snyder got rid of him.....)  It seems Snyder got a bit scared when all those people brought signs to that MNF game and attendance started to decline....So he at least has set in place some stability with Gruden and his staff....although GM Bruce Allen's decision are a bit suspect....

But fans of the Cowboys are just as fragmented and frazzled as Redskin fans....My aunt was a die hard Cowboy fan but she HATED Jerry Jones so much she gave up her allegiance, although she still loved the NFL, and others concur with her sentiments. In the past our city was COWBOY COUNTRY and you RARELY saw people wearing another NFL team's jersey around town....Now I see different jersey's all the time. ....I even saw a Bronco fan and Raider fan today at the grocery store.....And a friend that works for a company that has NFL days on Fridays during the NFL season said she was amazed last year at all the NON-COWBOY fan jerseys she saw.....

We will see what happens when the season starts-I can't wait!!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

In NFL news....Jameis Winston is suspended the first 3 games of the 2018 regular season..............

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Super Contributor

I'm sticking with the Boys,  "do or die".  Yeah, I know,  you hope they die.   We shall see.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Txblond wrote:

I'm sticking with the Boys,  "do or die".  Yeah, I know,  you hope they die.   We shall see.

@Txblond

Im glad you are a loyal fan....Woman Very Happy  And I respect you beause you didnt bail on your team.....

Honored Contributor

@Txblond wrote:

True fans never give up. The Browns somehow still have lots of loyal fans. The Eagles teased the fans for decades before winning the Super Bowl.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

As far as allegiance goes to a team, I think most of us who give up on a team do so very reluctantly ... in my case because of owner Dan Snyder's bungling mismanagement and constant interference with the Redskins. I have never, ever had any bad feelings about the Redskin team itself... or any of its players. But when you see someone like Snyder systematically ruin a franchise, it becomes too much for many life-long fans to bear. The proof in Washington is in survey after survey that expresses extreme displeasure with Snyder at the helm...and explains why game attendance is way, way down.

Yes there are probably a small group of "fair-weather" fans who abandon teams like the Redskins when they go years without doing very well. But they are in the minority, imo, and really are not what I would call true fans. But a true fan of a team like the Redskins who reluctantly decides to step away is most often someone who is disillusioned, disappointed and frankly disgusted ... and just cannot stomach what the owner has done to the team they have loved since childhood. Those feelings are what drove my family away as well as many, many other life-long Redskin fans.

But I greatly admire those true fans who stick with a team that is not doing well for whatever reason ...  from poor play or bad ownership, etc.  However I also feel that those of us who reluctantly decide to walk away from a team....not because we are fair-weather fans ... but because we have loved the team and just cannot support what the owner is doing ... should also be thought of as true fans!Woman Happy

(OK,  that is my rant for the day, lol! And maybe "the lady doth protest too much, methinks!" Woman Happy But I just wanted to offer up a defense of those of us who leave teams not because of poor play but because of poor ownership!!)

Honored Contributor

@yellowBeetle wrote:

As far as allegiance goes to a team, I think most of us who give up on a team do so very reluctantly ... in my case because of owner Dan Snyder's bungling mismanagement and constant interference with the Redskins. I have never, ever had any bad feelings about the Redskin team itself... or any of its players. But when you see someone like Snyder systematically ruin a franchise, it becomes too much for many life-long fans to bear. The proof in Washington is in survey after survey that expresses extreme displeasure with Snyder at the helm...and explains why game attendance is way, way down.

Yes there are probably a small group of "fair-weather" fans who abandon teams like the Redskins when they go years without doing very well. But they are in the minority, imo, and really are not what I would call true fans. But a true fan of a team like the Redskins who reluctantly decides to step away is most often someone who is disillusioned, disappointed and frankly disgusted ... and just cannot stomach what the owner has done to the team they have loved since childhood. Those feelings are what drove my family away as well as many, many other life-long Redskin fans.

But I greatly admire those true fans who stick with a team that is not doing well for whatever reason ...  from poor play or bad ownership, etc.  However I also feel that those of us who reluctantly decide to walk away from a team....not because we are fair-weather fans ... but because we have loved the team and just cannot support what the owner is doing ... should also be thought of as true fans!Woman Happy

(OK,  that is my rant for the day, lol! And maybe "the lady doth protest too much, methinks!" Woman Happy But I just wanted to offer up a defense of those of us who leave teams not because of poor play but because of poor ownership!!)

@yellowBeetle

I understand, I meant no respect to you, in fact I do respect you a lot. I just thought it was interesting that "America's Team" just aint what it used to be........

I totally understand what you are saying. And yes, there are certain situations that will cause any fan to leave--HORRIBLE owners, things a player or players said or did...or an NFL organization disrespecting fans etc etc.....For example, if Michael Vick was signed by the Redskins, I would DEFINITELY disassociate myself from the Redskins and cease to be a Redskin fan (animal lover that I am!).  

And living in Texas there are probably a few things Snyder has done that I missed hearing about too......I guess what keeps me as a Redskin is Joe Gibbs and all the wonderful players of the past and a few on the current team.....And I also have an alternative my Anti-Redskin team, my NBA Spurs which are thought to be one of the best run organizations in all of sports, and fantastic players as well.....At least that's what they USED TO BE before selfish, self-centered Kawhi emerged to wreck havoc with my team...Woman FrustratedWoman Sad  

Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@Txblond wrote:

True fans never give up. The Browns somehow still have lots of loyal fans. The Eagles teased the fans for decades before winning the Super Bowl.

@gardenman

How do those Browns fans do it?????  From boring uniforms and mascot to lousy season after season, and botched draft after botched draft...

Trusted Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@yellowBeetle wrote:

@yellowBeetle

I understand, I meant no respect to you, in fact I do respect you a lot. I just thought it was interesting that "America's Team" just aint what it used to be........

I totally understand what you are saying. And yes, there are certain situations that will cause any fan to leave--HORRIBLE owners, things a player or players said or did...or an NFL organization disrespecting fans etc etc.....For example, if Michael Vick was signed by the Redskins, I would DEFINITELY disassociate myself from the Redskins and cease to be a Redskin fan (animal lover that I am!).  

And living in Texas there are probably a few things Snyder has done that I missed hearing about too......I guess what keeps me as a Redskin is Joe Gibbs and all the wonderful players of the past and a few on the current team.....And I also have an alternative my Anti-Redskin team, my NBA Spurs which are thought to be one of the best run organizations in all of sports, and fantastic players as well.....At least that's what they USED TO BE before selfish, self-centered Kawhi emerged to wreck havoc with my team...Woman FrustratedWoman Sad  

@Spurt

Oh my no @Spurt I was not writing that about anything you said .... it was just my way of explaining (venting Woman Happy) about why both you and I and many others like my best friend do not stick with their "home" teams!!  In your case it is Jerry Jones... and in my case it is Dan Snyder! I was trying to make the point that we are not "fair weather fans" who gave up on our home teams because they were not playing well! We gave up on them because we did not like the antics of the owners! 

And as I said I lived in the DC area my whole life up until 11 years ago. The DC media is obsessed with the Redskins so I heard all kinds of negative, snarky stories about Dan Snyder that most people not living in the area like you would not have heard! I admit that I am biased against Snyder because of all of that ... but I certainly understand the great appeal of the Redskin franchise for fans like you!! Woman Happy They are very, very lucky to have someone as devoted as you are as one of their biggest fans!!