Esteemed Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for June 2018!!!

NFL Network recently had the best 100 players of 2017 voted by the players themselves. Tom Brady was #1 (doesn't surprised me; I figured he would be up there), but Carson Wentz was voted #3. Wentz is very good, but I was surprised at the rating because he missed much of last year. I thought that might effect the results.That shows how highly Wentz is regarded by other players. And to think that Wentz is rated higher than Aaron Rodgers? That's some praise!

Quenton Nelson is earning praise from Reich and other coaches. He will be starting left guard position. I'm looking forward to seeing Nelson in action. 

I don't know if anyone watches FOX News, but Nick Foles is suppose to be on Martha MacCallum's show, The Story, tonight at 7:00 EST. FOX News Channel. I have to work this evening, so I won't be able to see most of it. I mentioned this in case anyone would like to see Foles interviewed. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

NFL Network recently had the best 100 players of 2017 voted by the players themselves. Tom Brady was #1 (doesn't surprised me; I figured he would be up there), but Carson Wentz was voted #3. Wentz is very good, but I was surprised at the rating because he missed much of last year. I thought that might effect the results.That shows how highly Wentz is regarded by other players. And to think that Wentz is rated higher than Aaron Rodgers? That's some praise!

Quenton Nelson is earning praise from Reich and other coaches. He will be starting left guard position. I'm looking forward to seeing Nelson in action. 

I don't know if anyone watches FOX News, but Nick Foles is suppose to be on Martha MacCallum's show, The Story, tonight at 7:00 EST. FOX News Channel. I have to work this evening, so I won't be able to see most of it. I mentioned this in case anyone would like to see Foles interviewed. 

@teganslaw

Yep, that NFL player list was interesting, Wentz's #3 rating got lambasted by some of the NFL analysts...Wentz played well, but I still think Rodger's is better. The NFL analysts also felt the Ram's Aaron McDonald deserved higher than he got rated too....And were NFL players trying to help Le'Von Bell's contract negotiations by rating him so high so the Steelers think he's worthy of the Big Bucks he's seeking...(boy RB were thought of as a dime of dozen not too long ago--well be prepared for the RB market to go through the roof).....

Glad Nelson seems to be doing well for the Colts....

Saw that promo for the Foles interview, and I will be watching.....ya never know he might play for the Redskins one day, afterall Alex Smith is 34 and may only be around for a couple of years before the Redskins start yet another search for a QB -- Smiley Wink 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@teganslaw

Thks for the info on Foles ... set up the DVR!!Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

I'm not surprised by Carson's rating. He was the leading MVP candidate before his injury. Other players respect him a ton. I think Aaron Rodgers' coming back and not getting a win to keep them in the playoff hunt hurt his standing. Had he won that game and dragged Green Bay into the playoffs he would likely be ranked higher. Carson stayed in the game after blowing out his knee and threw a touchdown pass on his destroyed knee. That toughness impresses other players. Rodgers came back for one game to try and get Green Bay into the playoffs then sat out the final games. He could have played, but the team sat him. Players don't like that. If he can play, he should play is their mindset a lot of the time.
Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:
I'm not surprised by Carson's rating. He was the leading MVP candidate before his injury. Other players respect him a ton. I think Aaron Rodgers' coming back and not getting a win to keep them in the playoff hunt hurt his standing. Had he won that game and dragged Green Bay into the playoffs he would likely be ranked higher. Carson stayed in the game after blowing out his knee and threw a touchdown pass on his destroyed knee. That toughness impresses other players. Rodgers came back for one game to try and get Green Bay into the playoffs then sat out the final games. He could have played, but the team sat him. Players don't like that. If he can play, he should play is their mindset a lot of the time.

@gardenman

Could you please pass your wisdom on to Kawhi Leonard...

Players don't like that. If he can play, he should play is their mindset a lot of the time.  Tony Parker tried to share these same sentiments....

Woman Frustrated  

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh Oh.....

This is a sure sign of the Apocalypse.....

Poll shows NFL not as popular in Texas as football in general

AP

They still love football in Texas, perhaps as much as any place on the planet.

But they may not love it in quite the same way as they used to.

According to a University of Texas/Texas Tribune Poll, nearly half of the state’s registered voters have an unfavorable opinion of the NFL in particular.

The NFL drew an unfavorable opinion from 47 percent of voters (including 28 percent who went all the way to “very unfavorable”), while 27 percent had a favorable opinion of the league. The survey included 1,200 registered voters and was conducted from June 8-17, and has a margin of error of less than 3 percent.

Of course they blame it all on the "hoopla" going on....But what they don't realize is a lot of these football fans don't like Jerry Jones....And even Bob McNair made some unpopular comments......And when was the last time the Cowboys won a Super Bowl(a lot of their fans are band wagon jumpers you dont bring in the trophies they do lose interest)....and the Texans haven't come near the Super Bowl either...If it wasn't for JJ Watt there would be a WHOLE LOT LESS interest......

And why wasn't I asked to compete the poll!!!!! Woman Frustrated

Super Contributor

Hey there Spurt -  Thanks for keeping me up-to-date on Jerry and the Boys.  I don't have to read the Sports page everyday.  LOL.   By the way,  when was the last time the Redskins won the Super Bowl , or even beat the Cowboys??

G-man,  sorry about your health problems, and hope you are doing better!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Txblond wrote:

Hey there Spurt -  Thanks for keeping me up-to-date on Jerry and the Boys.  I don't have to read the Sports page everyday.  LOL.   By the way,  when was the last time the Redskins won the Super Bowl , or even beat the Cowboys??

G-man,  sorry about your health problems, and hope you are doing better!

@Txblond

Oh you are very welcome Smiley Wink I probably get the same Cowboy news as you do..

But the purpose of the post is that Texas is such a FOOTBALL HOTBED where FOOTBALL is the KING of all sports and at ALL levels--from Pop Warner, to High School, to College to the NFL!!!.....And for the 2 NFL teams to be sinking in popularity in TEXAS is BIG NEWS! Whats wrong with all your fellow Boyz fans..???? .

I am a realistic Redskin fan and certainly popularity for my team has plummeted since Job Gibbs left, and fans don;t like our owner either --I think he ranks 2nd as most hated in the NFL (#1 is probably YKW Woman LOL) The Redskins last Super Bowl was back in 1992 (maybe the NHL caps broke the DC curse)....and there is no longer a waiting list for tickets......

But the DC area was never known as a FOOTBALL HOTBED except for the Joe Gibbs era at good old RFK.  Baseball seems to be the most popular sport right now in the MD/DC/VA area...(I think @yellowBeetle can back me up on this).

There are small signs the Redskins are starting to turn it around....but they have a ways to go...but at least Im not a band wagon jumper.......I stick with my team through thick and thin...but it looks like the Cowboy/Texan fans don't!...

Honored Contributor

The NFL alienated a substantial part of their base with the anthem protests. (Which achieved nothing but alienating a substantial part of their base.) I think that, and the timing of the poll, in the summer, are what lowered the view of the NFL. Take the same poll come November with both the Cowboys and Texans in the playoff hunt and the numbers would be vastly better.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I know  people who quit watching football because of all the protests. That didn't help the NFL at all. I think that could be the main reason that people look at the NFL unfavorably. 

Another factor could be how well the fans' team is doing. Some posters on the Colts forum gave up their season tickets because of the team's bad record. They figured that it was a waste to go to games just to see them lose. People sometimes tend to lose interest if the team isn't doing well, and break away. They only want winners. I don't feel that way; I'm staying with the Colts no matter what happens. Although I do complain about them when I feel they deserve it. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain