Esteemed Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for June 2018!!!

Mychal Kendricks signed a one year contract with the Browns. Quite a difference going from a Superbowl team to the basement. It looks like Cleveland is doing much to improve, so I don't expect them to be as bad as last season. There were a few games they nearly won, but mistakes happened. It's not easy to lose every game; the odds of repeating a winless season are too high. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

Cleveland's managed to only win one game in two years. That's danged near impossible. I'm surprised Kendricks signed there. I thought San Francisco was a more likely landing spot. They'd had interest in him recently and are an up and coming team. There was also talk of him joining his brother in Minnesota. Cleveland? Well, they are an NFL team, I guess. I'm just not convinced they have an NFL coaching staff. They're in a tough division with Baltimore, Pittsburgh and Cincy. (Well, maybe not Cincy.) Still they're likely the fouth best team, at best, of those four.

Kendrick's is a good linebacker if all you ask him to do is stop the run and rush the passer. It's when you have him try to cover a receiver that his game implodes. He's got some sort of a mental block where he lets the receiver run past him, then chases from behind. That's not an especially effective technique. He really gets lost in pass coverage. That's why the Eagles only had him on the field for about twenty percent of the plays. If it's a running play, or he's to blitz the quarterback, he's pretty darn effective. If you want him to cover a back, tight end, or slot receiver, well, forget it.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman @sunshine45

We know about the Ravens kicker, Justin Tucker singing ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Puet0J3o68I

But hold on, the Eagles have their own song bird with Offensive Lineman, Ian Park....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe_4ml_eef0

Maybe they should have a "singoff"..................

P.S.GARDENMEN Ian doesnt look very big for a lineman...He's listed as 6'4" 305 ....but he looks thinner and smaller than that....Joe Jacoby was 6'7" 295 in his playing days....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw @gardenman

And Coach Hue Jackson had to follow up on that old saying and a bet "go jump in the lake".....  And I bet Browns fans said that OFTEN....  I think their poor standing has to do with an awful front office and bad coaching.....they dont draft or sign  good players and on rare occasions when they do, they dont seem to put the players in the best position to win....  Joe Thomas was a rare commodity for them, and now he's retired....  They had a good draft, lets see if they can win a few games for the sake of Brown's fans......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt

Yeah, Ian Park is a bit smallish now, but he's likely a practice squad guy this year. He'll get a year of coaching, a year in a pro weight room, a year with a good nutritionist, and likely compete for a roster spot next year. If all heck breaks loose and a few offensive starters get dinged, he could make the roster this year, but he's probably not really ready to play this year. Young offensive linemen going up against the Eagles' defensive line are going to get killed. Ian Park versus Fletcher Cox is an enormous mismatch, so the Eagles will try to avoid that matchup for the kid. He'll need a year or two before he's truly ready to take on a real NFL defensive lineman.

The Eagles are three and four deep at every o-line spot right now, so there's lots of competition. I think of the kids, that Jordan Mailata might have the best chance of sticking. He's the 6'-8" mountain of a man/former rugby player. I think the Eagles view him as an interesting weapon in addition to a reserve offensive lineman. His rugby videos show him dragging four and five guys down the field, and I think we'll see him from time to time as a fullback in goal line situations. There aren't a lot of linebackers or safeties who want to (or can) tackle a 345 lb guy like him. The guy's an amazing athlete. He's raw as can be, but man, the potential of the guy is very high. As a fullback at the goalline, he could even run a pass route and use his height to great advantage. If you're a 6'-0" corner and you find Mailata opposite you, good luck. You can't outphysical a 6'-8" 345 lb guy. Try it and you'll bounce off the kid. If the pass is thrown high enough, you can't defend it without a stepladder. The potential of the kid is enormous. He's pretty quick at a 5.12 forty also. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

just putting this much of it here......i am sure you have all heard about the eagles DC visit being "cancelled" by the host.

“There are a lot of people on the team that have plenty of different views. The men and women that wanted to go should’ve been able to go. It’s a cowardly act to cancel the celebration because the majority of the people don’t want to see you. To make it about the anthem is foolish,” Smith added.

- torrey smith

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Over a thousand fans were to attend the event, but then the majority of the players decided they weren't going. Fewer than ten players were apparently going to attend which is an absurdly small number. Those fans who were to attend are not especially happy with the team right now. Visiting the White House isn't a punishment, it's a reward. It's not an endorsement of the person in the house, but a chance for a once in a lifetime event. They've now stolen that from a thousand plus fans who'd planned to be there. I suspect many of the players will ultimately regret this decision.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

Over a thousand fans were to attend the event, but then the majority of the players decided they weren't going. Fewer than ten players were apparently going to attend which is an absurdly small number. Those fans who were to attend are not especially happy with the team right now. Visiting the White House isn't a punishment, it's a reward. It's not an endorsement of the person in the house, but a chance for a once in a lifetime event. They've now stolen that from a thousand plus fans who'd planned to be there. I suspect many of the players will ultimately regret this decision.

@gardenman

Very well said. Having grown up in suburban Washington DC and visited the WH as a tourist numerous times, I think the Eagles and owner Lurie made a dreadful miscalculation. The WH is a symbol ... the "people's house." Whoever is occupying it at any given time should not be the issue. To be invited into the WH is a supreme honor, and for most, a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I am very disappointed in those who chose not to attend ... but mostly in Lurie. He is old enough to understand that in a case like this there should be a separation of sports and politics. I feel he should have done more to explain to his players that there is a time and a place for protest ... but this was not it. The thousand plus fans who had planned to attend have a right to be upset with the team. 

Trusted Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

just putting this much of it here......i am sure you have all heard about the eagles DC visit being "cancelled" by the host.

“There are a lot of people on the team that have plenty of different views. The men and women that wanted to go should’ve been able to go. It’s a cowardly act to cancel the celebration because the majority of the people don’t want to see you. To make it about the anthem is foolish,” Smith added.

- torrey smith

Absolutely right.  If the current occupant didn't have his temper tantrum because all the kids didn't come to his party then the fans would have had their celebration.  

Esteemed Contributor

I heard that fans are still welcome at the White House, just not the team. There will be an honor ceremony, but with no Eagles. Fans should be able to attend. 

I'm not sure the team will regret the decision. Many players have strong feelings about this and Lurie might not have been able to change their minds. 

No matter, I'm not giving up my football because of what players decide to do. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain