Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for June 2017!!!

Shoulder injuries for quarterbacks are one of those scary situations. They really abuse their shoulders, so you want to be sure they're really ready before you start having them throw. He'll likely be monitored closely throughout camp and limited to a certain number of throws a day with days off every now and then. It's a tricky balancing act between making sure the shoulder is strong, but not abused. Cam Newton will be handled the same way. Both may start the season a bit rusty, but towards the end of the year they should rally and start to play better.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw wrote:

Former Colts TE Dwayne Allen seems to be struggling in NE. He is having trouble getting on the same page with Brady. Allen has had too many dropped passes, and Belichick has shouted at him that "This isn't Indy; these drops matter!" I thought that was kind of funny: NE demands excellence and Indy doesn't? Belichick just being Belichick, I guess.  Anyway, Allen needs to get it together by opening day or he'll be benched or cut.

He had the same problems in Indy with dropped passes; why did NE think that would change?

Andrew Luck hasn't thrown a pass yet in OTA's. There is no timetable for his return. The preseason starts in two months, so this could be a concern. They say that rehab is going OK, but they don't want to rush it. Maybe they're just being extra cautious so Luck doesn't reinjure himself. I hope it's nothing more than that.

@teganslaw

Maybe Beli arrogantly thought it was just a matter of coaching to get Allen to correct the dropped passing problem.....but looks like he found out it wasn't an Indy problem at all and won't admit his coaching nor Brady at QB didnt help Allen .............

I think the Colts will be overly cautious and not trying to bring Andrew back too soon.......

Here's an interesting article about QB rankings---

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/05/nfl-quarterback-rankings-tiers-elite-joe-flacco-tom-brady-andrew-luc...

Luck is ranked in Tier 1 and Tier 2. They said Colts struggles had nothing to do with Luck, it had to do with no line or running game and outdated offense, but still managed career highs in completion percentage and .yards per attempt and high QBR rating all the while dealing with a bad shoulder!... Really Eli is Tier 2???????

Capt Kirk is ranked in Tier 3-franchise guys based on abiliity and not the tag............and interesting that Dak Prescott is listed in this same category....the way some people talk you'd think he was the second coming of Troy Aikman..........Surprisingly Derek Carr is in this category....I would put him in Tier 2........he has that something special very Brett Favre like...........

Sorry @gardenman  not many impressed with Wentz---Tier 4 below average..............One analyst said he barely made it to Tier 4,(they didnt llike his mechanics and fielld vision) while another predicted he would move up a tier by the end of 2017......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Some positive news regarding the Redskins/Cousins negotiations...Cousin's agent and the team are actually meeting and talking......Bruce Allen feels they should get a long term deal done if not by the July 15th deadline, then certainly after the end of the season....I don't think this is necessarily good news but Snyder has stepped into the picture as well on the matter of seeing that they get Kirk signed long term, and usually what Snyder wants, he gets......However, if the deal waits until the end of the season and Cousins has a good year, that could mean a demand for an even higher salary and more leverage for Cousins.....stay tuned!  

Speaking of dropped passes...........my sis is livid that OBJ wants to re-negotiate his contract (I pointed out 44 WRs make more than OBJ who has better stats)  She responded that she saw a lot of dropped passes.......checking his stats he played one less game in 2015 than in 2016 and his stats were SLIGHTLY down......receiving targets were up, but who else did Eli have to throw to last season, but total receiving yards were down 1450 vs 1367 (with one more game in 2016),  his receiving yards per reception were slightly down 15.1 vs 13.5 , longest reception is down 87 vs 75, TDs were down 13 vs 10, 1st downs off by 2 67 vs 65....yes defenses concentrated on OBJ with few other options at WR....but one wonders if part of the problem is OBJ's temper tantrums on the field and sidelines!   

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt.

Wentz is an interesting guy. He's a gunslinger and gunslingers tend not to get high ratings, but win. He'll make the iffy throw and trust his receiver to make the play. Sam Bradford is more the 'safety first' type QB. Carson will make a lot of big plays, but he'll also trust his receivers too much a few times and get burned, but I love that mentality. I hated to see Bradford look downfield, see a receiver breaking open, set, then decide to check down. Carson doesn't check down unless his guys are blanketed. And not even then sometimes. He'll throw more picks than some QB's, but he'll also make some amazing throws into impossibly small windows.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

SPURT: that was an interesting article  I consider Luck in the elite class (admitting some bias here), because he still managed to make all those plays and have a high qb rating with a bad offensive line. Imagine if he would have had help? The statistics might have been off the charts. He hasn't won a Superbowl, but I'm not counting that.

Report Gil Brandt has listed some top QB-WR combos he figures could do well in 2017. Among those are Carson Wentz and Alshon Jeffery. He expects Jeffery to contribute much to Philly.

Kirk Cousins and Terrelle Pryor are also listed. Brandt mentioned that Pryor could get up to 1500 yards.

The NFL wil be fun to watch this year with al the changes and new players.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

SPURT: that was an interesting article  I consider Luck in the elite class (admitting some bias here), because he still managed to make all those plays and have a high qb rating with a bad offensive line. Imagine if he would have had help? The statistics might have been off the charts. He hasn't won a Superbowl, but I'm not counting that.

Report Gil Brandt has listed some top QB-WR combos he figures could do well in 2017. Among those are Carson Wentz and Alshon Jeffery. He expects Jeffery to contribute much to Philly.

Kirk Cousins and Terrelle Pryor are also listed. Brandt mentioned that Pryor could get up to 1500 yards.

The NFL wil be fun to watch this year with al the changes and new players.

@teganslaw

I think season should be lots of fun, and perhaps there will be some surprises along the way.............

I dont understand why the Redskins got criticized for not re-signing Garcon and DJack....but due to their age and the money they wanted most doubted that this would happen, in the best case scenario they'd re-sign reliable Garcon....but he wanted too much money when the team had to upgrade our entire defense....Redskins didnt have extra money to spend so it made sense, as much as I would've like to have kept Garcon....and DJack missed a lot of games with minor injuries too....Pryor, last year's pick--Doctson, and a bigger role for young Crowder (he can play inside and outside) should still give Kirk a lot of options along with TE Reed and a decent running game and decent Oline........That's my vent! 

Coach Gruden says he has no concerns about Swearinger's character....and looking forward to seeing him practice in pads........

RB Rob Kelley has lost weight and has seen imrovement in his game... (guess they will have to dump his nickname of "fat Rob".....................

Honored Contributor

The Carson Wentz/Alshon Jeffrey pairing has gotten a ton of attention here in the Philly market. They've even gone so far as to graph each of their best routes and impressively enough both of their charts were nearly identical. Carson Wentz was most prolific last year on the routes that Alshon Jeffrey was the most prolific on. Those two seem to be a match made in heaven and Jeffrey made a circus catch on Thursday with a one handed grab of a ball in the back corner of the endzone and still got both of his feet down in bounds.

They've also compared the most successful routes of Jeffrey to the least successful defense by Josh Norman and found out that Alshon is best on the routes that Josh is worst at defending, so that matchup could be fun to watch. There's a lot of optimism in the Philly market about the coming season right now. The big thing with Jeffrey is keeping him healthy. The Sports Science guys in Philly are pretty good at that however, so with any luck we'll keep him healthy most of the year.

Little Donnell Pumphrey is also catching a lot of eyes in the OTA's. He's offically a running back but has been taking many of his reps as a wide receiver in the slot. He figures to be a wildcard matchup for defenses this year. By going with a two back set with Pumphrey as one of the backs paired with either LeGarrette Blount, the 250 lb wrecking ball, or Darren Sproles another small, fast back/receiver, you can give defenses all kinds of headaches. If defenses cheat the safeties up to stop Blount you can send Pumphrey out on a linebacker and there's no linebacker in the league who can match him speed wise. If the defense stays in a base defense with Sproles and Pumphrey in the game both can split out as receivers and you've suddenly got five receivers against four DB's. If they go to a nickel defense and you've got Blount in the backfield he can punish the smaller defenders on runs.

The reports out of the Eagles camp so far are all very optimistic. The new guys are looking good and everything sounds promising. Training camp opens the last week of July, so we'll start learning more then, but Derek Barnett is beating our best offensive tackles on a fairly routine basis, the new players we drafted, with one exception, the receiver Shelton Gibson who's been dropping way too many balls, are all getting raves from the players and coaches. 

The only real question mark is still the cornerback position, but Rasul Douglas our third round pick has been stepping into a starting role and more than holding his own so far. Sidney Jones, our second round pick recovering from the torn Achilles may also be available from mid-season on. Patrick Robinson has come in intent on proving the skeptics wrong about him and we've got Jalen Mills who impressed the coaches last year. 

This is about as deep an Eagles team as I can remember seeing. Oddly enough one of the more impressive guys in camp so far has been Matt McGloin who may be out-playing Nick Foles for that backup role. We're even three deep at quarterback in a league where a lot of teams barely have one competent starter.

It's almost like the stars all aligned for the Eagles this year. We needed wide receiver help but had little cap space. The league decided receivers weren't worth as much as they were being paid which dropped the price of a top of the line guy like Jeffrey down to where the Eagles could afford him. Chance Warmack, a 'sure thing' offensive linemen in the draft a few years ago is given up on by Tennessee and comes to Philly to reunite with his college coach who's convinced he can get him playing at a high level again. We've got two backup quarterbacks with playing experience. We were able to pick up a top 100 player in LeGarrette Blunt for next to nothing. Our kids are all looking good and we were able to both fill a need and get the best available player in most rounds.

It'll be fun to see what happens when the games start to matter, but right now there's reason for optimism in Philly.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Patriots Super Bowl ring, biggest one ever made. 283 diamonds for the 28-3 comeback.

Honestly I think the ring is pretty hideous, but I'd take the stones..

DB_siCyXsAEKOkA.jpg

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

Patriots Super Bowl ring, biggest one ever made. 283 diamonds for the 28-3 comeback.

Honestly I think the ring is pretty hideous, but I'd take the stones..

DB_siCyXsAEKOkA.jpg

Super Bowl rings are many things, tasteful isn't one of them. It's not the worst I've seen though.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Josh Norman will have some help in the secondary this year so let's see how the battles this year go with Alshon Jeffery should be interesting..............

Good article about Swearinger and why so many teams..............

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/31587/redskins-safety-d-j-swearinger-says-he-...

According to NFL Shop for May 2017, Marshawn Lynch's Raiders jersey took down the No. 1 spot, surpassing Tom Brady. And in case that wasn't awesome enough, Raider Nation showed up in a monster way across the board, as the team had three jerseys rank in the top 15.

1. Marshawn Lynch, Oakland Raiders
  2. Tom Brady, New England Patriots
  3. Dak Prescott, Dallas Cowboys
  4. Ezekiel Elliott, Dallas Cowboys
  5. Deshaun Watson, Houston Texans
  6. Derek Carr, Oakland Raiders
  7. Odell Beckham Jr, New York Giants
  8. Carson Wentz, Philadelphia Eagles
  9. Julio Jones, Atlanta Falcons
  10. Rob Gronkowski, New England Patriots
  11. James Conner, Pittsburgh Steelers
  12. Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay Packers
  13. Matthew Stafford, Detroit Lions
  14. Antonio Brown, Pittsburgh Steelers
  15. Khalil Mack, Oakland Raiders