Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for June 2017!!!

@Spurt

Lots of whispers/rumors that the Redskins and Cousins won't reach a deal. This could just be gamesmanship by the agent to try and squeeze out every last penny, but there seems to be some trust issues involved also. This could put the Redskins in an awkward spot. Do they bring Cousins to camp or try to move him?

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman

The reliable Redskin Reporters cant believe what they are hearing from the national media regarding Cousins---could be more fake news. Cousins will play another year on the Franchise Tag and if they cant get a deal don it could be the Transition Tag (or at that point there could be a trade involving draft picks and the 49ers).....JMHO

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt

It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out. There's a lot of gamesmanship going on. The Redskins have been talking up Colt McCoy and Nate Sudfeld, so they're trying to put pressure on Cousins. The chatter that Cousins won't sign is likely coming from his agent or his camp to put pressure on the Redskins. 

I think the Redskins want this resolved in some manner before the start of camp. My gut says they'll either sign Cousins or trade him away before camp starts. If they don't sign him, I've got to think they'll try to move him. Rumor has it he'll be looking for $30 million next year if he's not signed this year.

I could see the Redskins trading away Cousins and letting McCoy and Sudfeld fight it out for the starting role. If those guys falter there's always Kaepernick sitting out there and looking for a spot. These next four weeks are going to be pretty interesting.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman

There are some people that aren't sold on Cousins in that front offic (the comment floating around that he hit his ceiling---and perhaps those naysayers want to see how he performs without Pierre Garcon and DJack and see how he does with the taller and younger receivers.  Coach Gruden and owner Dan Snyder like him, and so does Doug Williams, dont know what their head scouts and other personnel people think and even Bruce Allen (and he could lose his job over this whole fiasco)......

Yep the teams and the agents play a game........The team talks up the backups, and the agent holds firm on an outrageous salary, but Cousins does holds all the cards!!!!  I just wish players/agents would also take into account the team's needs and areas that still require improvement......if Cousin's wants to get a big paycheck but be on one of the lousy teams (49ers and Rams and follow his former coaches) be my guest, see how Drew Brees likes his team's record these days.....(Brees takes all the salary cap space and leaves little for them to be able to sign some legit defense........

I dont like Colin K...............he is just a slightly better RGIII and we saw how well that style of QB fit in with Gruden's offensive schemes............

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt

It's probably not a bad time to head to one of the NFC West teams if you're Cousins. The Cards appear to be well past their peak. That just leaves the Seahawks at the top and they've looked a bit vulnerable in recent years. The Cards need  some long term answers at QB and WR on offense. Losing Calais Campbell will really hurt them also. The Rams have bet their future on Jared Goff who may or may not be a good bet. I could see the Niners sneak up and surprise a few people this year if they get a QB. Brian Hoyer and Matt Barkley are not the answers to the QB situation in SF. 

If you're the Redskins do you even bring Cousins back for this year if he won't sign an extension, or do you move on now? Every day, every camp session will have reporters asking about Cousins and his mindset heading into the season. Coaches hate distractions and that will be a huge distraction. The players will get sick of talking about it. The coaches wil get annoyed being asked about it every day. If you know he's gone after the season no matter what, do you unload him now? 

That's largely the issue the Eagles have with Jordan Matthews. They know they won't be able to re-sign him at the price he's asking for, so they've made it clear he's available if anyone's interested. Oddly enough no one's all that interested in paying a slot receiver number one receiver money so he's still on the roster. The Eagles think it's smarter to move him and get something now rather than lose him and get nothing.

The Redskins could get a compensatory pick if they lose Cousins in free agency, but those picks start at the end of the third round. If they can get a better offer now, it might make sense to move him now. FInd out what you've got in Sudfeld and McCoy and give them the training camp reps instead of Cousins. I suspect it would take a first round pick to pry Cousins away from the Redskins, but the Niners would likely be looking to use their first round pick next year on a QB anyway so it's kind of a wash for them. If they get Cousins that first round pick could end up being a mid first round pick. If they don't get Cousins that first round pick will likely be a high first round pick.

These next three or four weeks will be pretty darn interesting to watch play out. Both sides are playing a game of chicken and one side or the other will likely have to yield. At this moment, I think the Niners have the better hand of cards. The Redskins have largely backed themselves into a corner with no good way out.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

And the wildcard in the Eagles receiver hunt is now gone. The Eagles waived Dorial Green Beckham. The kid has the physical traits to dominate, but his head/heart aren't in the game. Last year there were whispers that he was more interested in the Philly nightlife than the playbook, but the team brought him back for one more chance, but his showing this spring was anything but impressive. Someone else will give him a shot and maybe he'll wake up, but you hate to see a guy with his talent just waste it.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!