Honored Contributor

NFL News and Notes for July 2020!!!

Are you ready for some football? Things should (God willing) start to heat up this month as training camps open up. It'll be a bit different from a "normal" training camp as players undergo routine testing for Covid-19. Hopefully, things will go smoothly and we'll get some real football to talk about.

Lots of interesting things to follow as camps open up. How does Brady look as a Buc? How does Cam look as a Patriot? How are the rookies looking? It should be a pretty eventful month.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for July 2020!!!

Interesting. There's a rumor that OBJ could be a Patriot by the end of the year. It's OBJ, he's been rumored to be traded to everyone at one time or another, but still, it could be an interesting move. I think pretty much everyone assumes Cam Newton will be the starter in New England this year, assuming he's healthy. Getting an OBJ to team up with him could be a power move. The Patriots are going to be an interesting team to watch as will the Buccaneers. 

Brady will want to prove he can lead another team to victory while Belichick will want to prove he can win without Brady. Cam Newton vastly improves Belichick's odds of proving just that. Moving from one former league MVP to another isn't a bad move. When the guy you're moving to is younger, faster, and more powerful, it helps a bit.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

The NFL cancelled week 1 and 4 of the preseason. The Colts were suppose to play the Eagles week 1, so that's out. Week 4 was with the Bengals. 

Chiefs DE Chris Jones wants a long term deal worth 20 million or he'll sit out the season. He was tagged in March, and has a contract worth about 17 million, but figures that he's worth at least 20 million. Maybe he will change his mind if this proves not to work. Le'Veon Bell tried the same tactic and ended up losing more money. I wouldn't automatically choose the Chiefs for another Superbowl yet. Too much could happen. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yep, things will heat up literally and figuratively......temps here expected to be near 100 next few days...and heating up for the NFL in the coming weeks ahead.... LOTS of interesting storylines (and Im NOT talking about the virus)......and teams to watch too.....AND YES I'M READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL!!!!

And Jerry Jones now has 14 days and counting to make a decision on Dak.....The tag number for QBs in 2021 is 37.7 mill..... Why has Jerry been so quiet, not only on Dak but everything thats going on....he usually doesnt hesitate to make his feelings known on anything and everything.....hmmmmmm...WEIRD!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I think Jerry Jones saw how quickly people turned on Drew Brees and doesn't want to come under a similar attack. He needs his players to play for him and some might not be as willing were he to go against the narrative.  And on these issues JJ typically goes against the narrative.

The Cowboys and Dak are interesting. Had they done the right thing and renegotiated his contract as early as possible, they'd likely be paying him around $25-$30 million a year. Now Dak can hold out for however much he wants and the Cowboys have few options other than paying him. They vastly underpaid him for four years, so now he wants to make up for that. Their only real way out is to tag him next year with the tag that lets other teams negotiate a deal that the Cowboys could then match, but Dak could simply not negotiate with anyone else and take the $37+ million he'd get under the tag and look for another 20% increase the next year ($45-ish million?).  To say the Cowboys screwed up with Dak's contract is a huge understatement. His price tag will only go up.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well people are trying to put pressure on Snyder to change the Redskin name--(even though Snyder states that the name was chosen in 1933 to honor Native Americans in general and the coach and four players at that time who were Native American; and that in 1971 coach George Allen consulted with the Red Cloud Indian Fund on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation when designing the logo.[146] )--😡 

What is a tad humorous is leading the crusade is ProFootball Talks Mike Florio---  checking out the Florio surname it seems Florio is connected to "the mob", extortion, and there was even a charge of murder.....Okay Florio CHANGE YOUR NAME! 😡 (outlined in the book, brotherhood of blood)

And another voice pushing for a name change is Tony Dungy....one of the Redskin fans looked up the meaning.... Dungy (adj) .....of, like, or soiled with dung; filthy; vile  YOU go first Tony!!!!!!!

And Redskin fans were asking are they going to make the Vikings, Raiders & Buccaneers change their name afterall they were known for pillaging and assaulting women!!!!  

And teams with animal mascots---that means the Eagles, Colts, Lions, Jaguars, Falcons, Seahawks, Rams, Cardinals, Bears, Panthers, Bengals, Ravens, Broncos, Dolphins,  Buffalo Bills....PETA and animal groups will be demanding name changes too......

Pretty soon NFL teams will be referred to as team #1, #2, #3.....all the way to #32.... Smiley Sad

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

In an effort to be "socially conscious" the Philly papers now refer to the Redskins as "the Washington team." God forbid they offend anyone by calling the team by their name. You can't say or do anything these days without offending someone. I'm more of the belief that people have to develop a thicker skin and just laugh stuff off. I can understand Native Americans not liking being represented by a team that plays like the Redskins have in recent years, but the team name hurts no one. 

Funny how no one seems bothered by the Chiefs. Winning cures all ills, including social injuries apparently.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I've thought about the Chiefs, Atlanta Braves, Cleveland Indians, etc. Why aren't people upset with their names? Couldn't Cowboys be bad, since they are connected to the wild west. 

Since people want statues of Lincoln and Washingon removed, maybe the team should change their name  from WASHINGTON. After all, wasn't he a bad person, and with all the corruption in the capitol, it should be replaced. But then some of the states would have to change, and so on. It's neverending. 

I like Tony Dungy, but don't always agree with him. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw 

Add in the Florida State Seminoles, USC Trojans (how dare they name themselves after people who kept slaves!) and countless other college teams. Some people just look for something to be upset about and to get attention. If the biggest trauma in your life is the name of a football team, then you're living one heck of a good life. If you feel the biggest issue facing the country is the name of a football team then you're living with your head in the sand. 

The guy who sucker-punched Dallas Goedert now claims he was the real victim. He says that he and his friends had been at a different bar, and Dallas and nine of his friends had been harassing them over their choice of music so they left that bar and headed to another one. Dallas and his nine friends then followed them to that bar and singled out the smallest of them to harass. (Sure, just ignore the video of the guy getting in Goedert's face and Dallas simply grabbing him by the shoulders and guiding him away from the bar before the attacker charged out of nowhere and clubbed Goedert.) The sucker-puncher is upset that Geodert's friends and the bar bouncer then roughed him up after he knocked Goedert out. Yeah. You rush up and sucker-punch a guy and you're the real victim when his friends rough you up after you knock him out. Suffice to say it's not the best defense.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@teganslaw 

Add in the Florida State Seminoles, USC Trojans (how dare they name themselves after people who kept slaves!) and countless other college teams. Some people just look for something to be upset about and to get attention. If the biggest trauma in your life is the name of a football team, then you're living one heck of a good life. If you feel the biggest issue facing the country is the name of a football team then you're living with your head in the sand. 

The guy who sucker-punched Dallas Goedert now claims he was the real victim. He says that he and his friends had been at a different bar, and Dallas and nine of his friends had been harassing them over their choice of music so they left that bar and headed to another one. Dallas and his nine friends then followed them to that bar and singled out the smallest of them to harass. (Sure, just ignore the video of the guy getting in Goedert's face and Dallas simply grabbing him by the shoulders and guiding him away from the bar before the attacker charged out of nowhere and clubbed Goedert.) The sucker-puncher is upset that Geodert's friends and the bar bouncer then roughed him up after he knocked Goedert out. Yeah. You rush up and sucker-punch a guy and you're the real victim when his friends rough you up after you knock him out. Suffice to say it's not the best defense.

@gardenman  @teganslaw 

The Redskin fans dont even do the "tomahawk chop" which some found offensive that the Chiefs do....

So if everyone calls them Washington, I thought Washington was offensive.....I guess they will have to rename the District and also the State!!! 

Its just as crazy as those proposing that instead of Columbus that the Italian Americans (which my maternal grandparents are) replace those statues with one of Chef Boyardee----And in Tennessee replacing Andrew Jackson with one of Dolly Parton---THIS WORLD HAS GONE MAD!!! 

The Seminoles said they like FSU keeping their name, otherwise they said, their people would be forgotten!!!....FSU even has a guy dressed in Seminole Native American apparel complete with war paint and throwing a lighted spear at the 50 yd line to start the game....

That guy that sucker punched Dallas Goedert is an IDIOT!!!