Esteemed Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for July 2018!!!

@brandiwine  Another Steeler's fan here!

Honored Contributor

@brandiwine Every year we wonder if this is Ben's last season. Rumor is - in light of the information now available about repeated concussions - his wife wants him to quit. Can't say I blame her.

Esteemed Contributor

Who needs soap operas when there are the Dallas Cowboys? Jerry Jones and the 'boys are quite entertaining. 

During the Colts' training camp, WR Deon Cain has stood out. If things continue the way they've been going, Cain could very well be a steal for the Colts.  He has talent and is fitting in well with the team. It's amazing that he wasn't drafted until the 6th round.T Y Hilton is still the #1 receiver, but with Moncrief having trouble staying healthy, Cain could prove to be an asset. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw  

Saw that Andrew Luck has looked really good in practices!!!   And the Colts were named as a team that was sure to improve this season........

Oh great....just what my Redskins did NOT need....Daron Payne suffered an ankle injury and will be out 2-3 weeks, Jay Gruden said he will be ready for the start of the season....(JMHO-but a rookie needs that practice!) Woman Frustrated Woman Sad

Alex Smith is really showing leadership---After one catch on a crossing route by Josh Doctson, QB Alex Smith walked over to him and told him, "Great catch. Great catch." Then they chatted for a couple minutes. Later, Doctson said of Smith: "After every pass... he'll come to me or he'll come to the other receivers and he'll talk about what he saw and what he liked about that. That's a little different for me and I like it. Just make sure we're on the same page and we're flipping the page at the same time."

Here's some good news--TE Jordan Reed ran three routes and caught two passes in 7-on-7 work Saturday. Reed, who had surgery on both big toes this offseason, planted and cut well; one of the catches required him to dive. Also, right tackle Morgan Moses, recovering from ankle surgery, took some snaps in full-team work.

And the soap opera continues............... the NFL has put a gag order on Jerry Jones and told him to quit talking about the anthem policy.............

Observors have said that Wentz is looking really good in practice .... he's throwing and trusting that plant leg.....

They are saying there are questions about the Eagle's linebackers with Hicks coming back after an achilles injury, and Walker who had an ACL in 2016, and FA LB Corey Nelson hasn't stood out......

Bought the Foles book this weekend but havent started reading it yet.....
Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt

The Eagles linebacker situation is a bit iffy. We've got two really good starters in Bradham and Hicks, with a few kids behind them who have potential. The Eagles were in a nickel with only two linebackers on the field more than 70% of the snaps last year, so if we've got two solid linebackers, we're set. Corey Graham is likely thinking too much and not reacting yet. We'll see what happens as he gets more used to the system and can just cut loose and play.

Wentz is amazing. When we first saw him in the OTA's he was pretty much back to normal. The Eagles are holding him out of the preseason games, bur I don't expect him to be rusty.

Word out of Eagles camp is that everything's looking good so far. A few guys have gotten dinged, but nothing too serious which is nice.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@teganslaw  

Saw that Andrew Luck has looked really good in practices!!!   And the Colts were named as a team that was sure to improve this season........

Oh great....just what my Redskins did NOT need....Daron Payne suffered an ankle injury and will be out 2-3 weeks, Jay Gruden said he will be ready for the start of the season....(JMHO-but a rookie needs that practice!) Woman Frustrated Woman Sad

Alex Smith is really showing leadership---After one catch on a crossing route by Josh Doctson, QB Alex Smith walked over to him and told him, "Great catch. Great catch." Then they chatted for a couple minutes. Later, Doctson said of Smith: "After every pass... he'll come to me or he'll come to the other receivers and he'll talk about what he saw and what he liked about that. That's a little different for me and I like it. Just make sure we're on the same page and we're flipping the page at the same time."

Here's some good news--TE Jordan Reed ran three routes and caught two passes in 7-on-7 work Saturday. Reed, who had surgery on both big toes this offseason, planted and cut well; one of the catches required him to dive. Also, right tackle Morgan Moses, recovering from ankle surgery, took some snaps in full-team work.

And the soap opera continues............... the NFL has put a gag order on Jerry Jones and told him to quit talking about the anthem policy.............

Observors have said that Wentz is looking really good in practice .... he's throwing and trusting that plant leg.....

They are saying there are questions about the Eagle's linebackers with Hicks coming back after an achilles injury, and Walker who had an ACL in 2016, and FA LB Corey Nelson hasn't stood out......

Bought the Foles book this weekend but havent started reading it yet.....

@Spurt

I am looking forward to reading Foles' book, too! Hope you enjoy it!

Last week our local news interviewed Foles and honestly, he is the most humble, sincere,  level-headed, and unaffected person I have ever seen in sports!! He genuinely does not seem to care one iota if he is the starting QB on Sept. 6 or if he is on the bench as the back-up to Wentz. He says if he let himself be defined by a label like "starter or back-up" that that would not reflect well on him! And he truly means it by his demeanor ... or he is one heck of an actor!!Woman Happy I think that is why Philly has embraced him so much!! His jerseys are everywhere...he is a real-life super hero to fans of the Eagles!! 

Esteemed Contributor

Andrew Luck said that he feels better than he had in a long time. He mentioned that he still needs to prove things to himself, and he's ready for the season. He's been lighting things up at training camp. 

Nick Foles doesn't care if he remains a back up qb because that's not how he defines himself. He isn't into material things, and looks on each day as a gift. I've seen him in interviews and after reading the book, am impressed by him as person and athlete. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Trusted Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

Andrew Luck said that he feels better than he had in a long time. He mentioned that he still needs to prove things to himself, and he's ready for the season. He's been lighting things up at training camp. 

Nick Foles doesn't care if he remains a back up qb because that's not how he defines himself. He isn't into material things, and looks on each day as a gift. I've seen him in interviews and after reading the book, am impressed by him as person and athlete. 

@teganslaw

Great news about Luck!

And you said it perfectly about Foles ... he truly is not into material things. Or "fame." He just wants to play football and do the best he can each day doing it! Such a good role model. He epitomizes the idea of "selflessness" ... his goal is simply to help the team. He is Wentz' biggest booster ... and understands that if healthy on Sept. 6, Wentz will be the starter. And Foles is 100% OK with that, which, imo, says so much! He was the MVP QB of the Super Bowl but for now is perfectly content to be the back-up! I think we know that he will eventually move on to another team, but the Eagles are very lucky to have him for this upcoming season! (You can tell I am a Foles' fan!!Woman Happy)