Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for July 2018!!!

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw

Glad to hear that Andrew is ready to go....!!!  I read that the Colt's O line is looking to be your team's best unit with a strong and deep unit of offensive linemen, the Colts drafting of Quenton Nelson and other upgrades that were made, signing of Austin Howard etc ---this should be good news for Andrew!!! 

Your D line was given kudos, they were a top rushing defense in 2017 And your GM was singing the praises of FA Denico Autry an acquisition from the Raiders who can play both DE and DT.  The pass rush has to be more reliable.....

Sad about the death of Tony Sparano--well liked and thought of around the league.....R.I.P. Tony!!

Johnn Manziel wasnt getting much playing time, but he didnt complain and has been patient....Now the Hamilton Tiger Cats have traded him to the Montreal Alouttes.  The Tiger Cats didnt have much need for a QB since their QB Maoli was playing well.....So Johnny should get more playing time.....Montreal had wanted Johnny for awhile....

On a local sports program last night they weren't singing high praises for the Cowboys WR corp.....They said the Cowboys are going to be relying on their running game and Zeke (they didnt mention that he better stay out of trouble or else that's really going to hurt the Cowboys)......They said Dak's play is going to be in the spotlight too and it will be interesting to see what the Cowboys plan for their passing game---are they going to use the short dink passes or will they let Dak air it out....STAY TUNED!!!.....Beasley will be a main target but who else is a good prospect to be a key target??!?!?!?!?......

I thought this was funny, with the need for the Cowboys to regroup and play well on the defensive side of the ball (and still holes that need to be filled) but it seems DE Tyrone Crawford is focusing on the more "important things" of the season, and took to Twitter to complain about his image on EA Sports and Madden..... (oh those Cowboys Woman LOL)

What is it about Cleveland teams.....in the NBA the Cavs lost LeBron as he moved on to LA.......

Now top Browns WR Josh Gordon won't be there at the start of camp to focus on "overall health and treatment" ...with his history some are speculating could this be related to drug problems.....the team said that Gordon has not been suspended...The NFL as "no comment" at this time....STAY TUNED!. 

Andy Reid doesnt plan to hold Patrick Mahomes back and wont restrict Patrick in anyway........ He wants him to play the way he played at Texas Tech.....

Reid said, “One thing that he is blessed with is he has good vision, so you don’t ever want to stifle that and put him in a box with that. Allow him to see. Is there going to be a hiccup here or there? Yeah, there’s going to be a hiccup here or there, but you don’t want to stifle that at all. We’ll see how that goes and monitor as it goes. We don’t miss much, but we’ll continue to teach.”

Reid was careful to praise former Chiefs quarterback  Alex Smith and Reid declined to compare the two players. “I would never get into one over the other, that’s just not where I am at,” Reid said. “Alex was phenomenal and will continue to be phenomenal. . . . We feel very lucky to have Pat and to be able to step in and watch him grow here. Let’s see how he does. He can’t be in any better place than with the Kansas City Chiefs and I know he’s fired up about that.”

Reid plans to use training camp to build on the progress Mahomes made during the offseason program.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Training camp starts Wednesday for the Eagles and I can't wait.

That Giants o-line could be a massive problem with Flowers playing out of his normal position and facing the best pass rushers. Eli tends to flop in the face of a rush and he'll likely be flopping a lot. I think too much blame was put on OBJ's injury. They were 0-4 before he got hurt.

I'm anxious to see how Alex Smith performs. I'm not sure we'll get a good read on him until midseason as it takes time to adjust to new receivers and a new system. He's got to adjust and then defenses will be adjusting to how he plays for Gruden. Around week 6-8 we'll start to know if he's an upgrade.

Cousins will be interesting to watch in Minnesota. They flushed some pretty good quarterbacks (Bradford, Keenum, Bridgewater) to get him. They think he'll be an upgrade and for his sake I hope they're right. If Bradford gets the Cards off to a 4-0 start and Keenum does the same for Denver, then Cousins will be on the hot seat.
Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I'm excited to see how the Colts perform this season. I'm so ready for football. 

John Dorsey is supporting Josh Gordon. Gordon said that it's part of his overall treatment and that he was good physically and mentally. I'm not sure exactly what is going on. but it looks like he'll be ready for the regular season. 

The Cowboys signed Allen Hurns and also have Terrence Williams, so one of these two could be a target along with Beasley. And Zeke better stay out of trouble. 

Nick Foles mentioned in his book that he is good friends with Alex Smith. I hope that Smith does does well in Washington. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw

The Cowboys are counting on Allen Hurns to step up and become their #1 WR....we will see.... 

Each year Jerry Jones holds a press conference at the start of camp. Do any other owners do this????? He said Jason Garrett was NOT on the hot seat (I guess its hard to find a puppet coach, right Jerry?)...And he said the Cowboys  havent talked to the Seahawks about Earl Thomas.....He doesnt care what rule the NFL comes up with on the anthem, if players arent on the field they will be fined.....

@gardenman  Heard that Wentz wont go on the PUP list but he will be limited during camp as he works his way back from injury.............

The Redskins sent Doctson for an MRI, this was a precautionary procedure, since he's had injury issues.....

LT Trent Williams, TE Jordan Reed, and RB Chris Thompson are all cleared to practice after suffering injuries last season....STAY HEALTHY GUYS!!!---PLEASE!!!

And the Redskins signed DB Prince Charles....that's right....but its Prince Charles Iworah.  Prince was drafted by the 49ers in 2016 in the 7th round.....He also played for the Chiefs......

The Redskins waived RB Keith Marshall he spent the last 2 seasons on IR, and was given an injury settlement..... 

Former Redskin CB Breeland is still trying to find a team....he will visit the Raiders and the Chiefs----Gee there seems to be a connection between the two "tribes" these days... 

@gardenman

Hope you are doing okay and healing.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt

I'm doing okay, but I'm not healing. I get a CAT scan at one today to see what's going on and then see my ortho doc on the eighth to decide what happens next. It looks like I ended last season with surgery and I may be starting this season the same way. I'm closing in on seven months with my never healing femur and it looks like I've still got a ways to go. Word of advice: Don't break your femur! I'm starting to understand why they shoot horses that break a leg. This is really getting tedious. Ah well, it is what it is.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@Spurt

I'm doing okay, but I'm not healing. I get a CAT scan at one today to see what's going on and then see my ortho doc on the eighth to decide what happens next. It looks like I ended last season with surgery and I may be starting this season the same way. I'm closing in on seven months with my never healing femur and it looks like I've still got a ways to go. Word of advice: Don't break your femur! I'm starting to understand why they shoot horses that break a leg. This is really getting tedious. Ah well, it is what it is.

@gardenman

So sorry to hear that....Hope our Ortho Doc can come up with a good solution.  Wishing you the best for a quick and speedy solution.....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Redskins backup quarterback Colt McCoy has signed a one-year contract extension for 2019 that is worth up to $7 million. McCoy is entering his fifth season with the 

Redskins.

A couple weeks ago Colt's wife gave birth to their third child and this was his message on Twitter with a true Texas message:

Colt McCoy

@ColtMcCoy

Baby #3 entered the world today... this one will probably be able to throw a football and ride bulls!! Psalm 127:3-5 🤘

REDSKIN CAMP HIGHLIGHTS:

Alex Smith used his legs often on bootlegs and also moving out of the pocket. He showed his accuracy and decision-making, too. On one 10-yard back-shoulder throw to receiver Josh Doctson, corner Josh Norman had it well-defended. But the ball arrived as soon as Doctson turned around. Norman had no chance.

Safety D.J. Swearinger did what many haven't done -- intercept Alex Smith during full-team work. He broke on a ball in traffic over the middle. A few plays later, Swearinger dove to break up a pass in the middle; his helmet flew off as he did so. Swearinger was animated as he left the field, slapping hands and shouting, "Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!" He topped that off by yelling, "Believe it!"

RB Derrius Guice took the bulk of the first team reps, but with two starters on the offensive line still sidelined (Trent Williams and Morgan Moses--they participated in limited practice since both are coming off injuries), the holes weren't always there. He did show some strong cuts and, even though they weren't in pads, you could see him wanting to seek out contact at the end of runs. One other rookie played a part in slowing him at times -- first-round nose tackle Daron Payne. He's a big fella and hard to move inside. He stuffed one hole moving laterally.  (This scenario made me think of the Giants and their weak o-line which isn't going to help their first round draft pick Barkley out at all)

Watching more of Derrius Guice, the Redskins seem to like using him as a pass catcher in the flat, where he has more room to operate and make the first defender miss. Even as he finishes plays and sprints upfield, he’s very cognizant of never running out of bounds. As a defensive back approaches, he purposefully spins or cuts back inside to get more yardage, little habits that indicate his physical style and aggressiveness to reach for more.

Redskins TE Jordan Reed says he's feeling "100 times better" after undergoing multiple surgeries to have a bone in each big toe removed.....(ARRRGHHH!!!)

Fifth-round pick Tim Settle appeared to have a strong practice Friday morning. He displayed strength vs. starting center Chase Roullier in full-team work, 

Honored Contributor

I am so happy my Redskins dont have any drama (oops I better knock on wood it's early yet--Woman LOL)......Anyway, the Cowboys are filled with drama as Dez engages in a Twitter war with the Cowboys: 

Bryant called out Stephen Jones, Travis Frederick and Sean Lee in a series of tweets Friday: 

SiriusXM NFL Radio trolled Bryant after an interview with Stephen Jones. Sirius tagged Bryant after the Cowboys executive vice president said of Dak Prescott, “Dak is working on his game and accuracy. He has to trust the system. I think that was tough last year with @DezBryant in his ear. I think he’ll have the year he had [his rookie year] if not better.”

It didn’t take Bryant long to respond on Twitter.

“Here we go with that scapegoat [expletive] .. i charged everything to the game and went the other way. y’all know what the real problem is .. don’t put it on me with that bull[expletive].. garbage [expletive] play calling.. Everybody lined up in the same spot for 17 weeks..”

The day Jerry Jones informed Bryant of his release, the receiver accused “Garrett’s guys” of working against him. He didn’t name names other than to refer to players who wear the captain’s “C.” Bryant named names Friday, accusing Frederick and Lee.

After a fan replied to Bryant’s tweet, suggesting Stephen Jones was clueless, Bryant said, “He’s not clueless.. Jerry was the only one who was clueless.. [expletive] was a planned to get me out ask Travis and my brother snake Lee I mean Sean Lee.”

Bryant later clarified his statement about Jerry Jones, saying, “I love Jerry just not the others.”

He also offered more on his accusation that Lee worked against him, writing, “Yea he suppose to been my brother .. we laughed talk about goals and stuff he sat right across from me in the locker room..never thought we had a problem.. I got cut.. he was the first to know.. I find out he was also behind it ******!!”

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I was impressed by Sean Lee in "All or Nothing." He seemed like a 'get to work' kind of guy who spent a lot of his time coaching while the coaches were just oddly dressed cheerleaders. In the previous seasons of "All or Nothing " you saw a lot of coaching. In the Cowboy season you saw almost none.

Dez wasn't bad, but the scenes of him and the other receivers in their room was one of them talking about commercials and non-football stuff. Maybe it was the editing, but I saw nothing to make me fear the Cowboys.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

@gardenman

First, my very, very best wishes to you for a successful resolution to your broken femur issue. Keep us posted.

Isn't it great how good Wentz is looking? When he came charging out onto the field the other day you could just see how eager he is to get back!! You have been predicting all along that he would be ready to start on September 6 and it is looking like you are probably right! 

@Spurt

There was a wonderful article this week in the WAPO about Alex Smith. The gist was that he is feeling very, very comfortable and confident ... and his teammates are feeling extremely upbeat and good about him. Looks like the Redskins may have found their QB!!

Under six weeks until the opening Thursday night game between the Eagles and Falcons ... can't wait!!Woman Happy