Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for July 2017!!!

@Spurt

Gratz was a guy who had a shot at getting the starting job at corner, but never showed anything all spring. Dane Evans is a camp arm. A guy brought in just to keep the other QB's from getting too arm tired.  We've got Carson Wentz, Nick Foles and Matt McGloin as the big three, but if you just use those guys, they'll all end up with a dead arm by the time camp is done. Teams run a lot of plays with 90 players and you don't want to have the arm falling off your starting QB before the season starts, so you bring in a camp arm to work with the lesser guys who likely won't make the roster while your higher level guys mostly work with the top receivers.This lets you give your big three guys a day off to rest their arm also. They may each throw a hundred passes a day in camp. If you don't have an extra arm there to give them a break, you can end up with QB's with dead arms.

As to Pagano, it's not always a conscious thing for the players. They don't necessarily think, "The coach isn't respected by the owner, so I don't have to listen to him." But subconscously it registers and when they're a bit tired, or nicked, they may just ease off a teeny bit and there's not much of a difference between winning and losing in this league. Just backing off a tick can make a win into a loss. You never want the players to even think there's a lack of confidence in the staff. That's why coaches with mediocre records get contract extensions early. The ownership wants the players to believe in the coaching staff. New Orleans and the Colts all but fired each of their head coaches this year and the players will have noticed that. There is no illusion that the ownership supports the staff. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out, but if I was betting, I'd bet that both teams will have an off year and neither of those head coaches will be with that team next year..

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman

Perhaps the Eagles wanted another "arm" in camp, but why Dane Evans??????

My view of the coach vs the Organization makes the actual organization look bad if they keep on a coach they don't like nor respect.....it sends a message that perhaps the owner and front office arent really concerned about winning and therefore, are just maintaining the status quo....OR.... if they are keep a coach, but making him a lame duck, that also sends a message about the owner and the organization and sends a message to player's whose contracts are coming up (they say GET ME OUTTA HERE!) and impacts signing free agents too..(who won't even consider playing for that team)......

And the Cowboys ALL PRISON TEAM continues with Luckywhitehead was arrested for shoplifting!!! (I guess he wasn't so lucky---LOL)!  His story is rather interesting:

Whitehead’s initial arrest took place on 6/22/17 according to TMZ. At that time, he was accused of taking less than $200 worth of items from a convenience store.

On July 6, Whitehead failed to show up at Prince William County Court for an appearance related to the June 22 arrest, and a warrant was issued for his arrest. He will now also face a charge of failure to appear in court. 

It’s been an odd offseason for Whitehead, who  last week that his dog, Bltiz, had been taken and was being held for  ransom, Whitehead, who was in Florida when the dog was stolen, along with a couple of pairs of shoes and some bags, said initially that the unknown robbers demanded $10,000 for the return of his dog.

He said the man calling from an unknown phone number asked: "How much does the dog mean to you?" and said that if Whitehead wanted his dog returned, "You got to cut a check." Whitehead said at first he wasn't sure whether the situation was a "sick joke." He said he refused to write a check for $10,000, but he agreed to pay an undisclosed amount of cash after making sure the dog was OK. then said a day later that his dog had been returned. 

Whitehead has an uphill battle to make the Cowboys’ roster, and off-field distractions won’t help.

@teganslaw  It appears the Colts are being cautious with Andrew Luck he will be on the physically unable to perform list when camp starts,  although he has started throwing footballs again, and can come off the list at anytime, is progressing well and should be ready for the regular season! 

@gardenman....what's this the Eagles are crossing sports lines and signed a Canadian rugby player as a tightend...Adam Zaruba....and the Eagles continue to look for a CB..............interesting!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt

The Whitehead incident is looking a bit messy for the Cowboys. They've cut him, but it now turns out he may not have done the crime.

The corner situation in Philly is interesting. Jalen Mills was a late round pick last year who the staff loves. We've got Patrick Robinson likely manning the other corner spot. We've got Aaron Grymes, a CFL guy who almost made the team last year before getting injured. We signed another CFL corner this year. We've got CJ Smith a kid from ND State who impressed last summer, and then the two draft picks this year. We've got a lot of 'guys' at corner, but are any of them "the guys"?

Adam Zaruba is a bit of a beast. He's big, strong, and fast. I'm not sure he isn't a project for the future, but the kid is an athletic beast. The key for him will be route running. Defenses love to re-route tight ends and how he adapts to that will determine if he makes the roster. He can't break off a route if a linebacker gets in the way. He's 6'-5" and 265 lbs and fast. I suspect he'll be a practice squad player at best, but he'll be interesting to watch.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Luck being on the PUP list is probably more of a cautionary thing. His rehab is coming along well, according to Pagano, and Luck should be ready to play when the season starts. He most likely will be out during preseason. Why have him play in meaningless games ? The main idea is to get him healthy.

The bad news is that Colts safety, Clayton Geathers, had neck surgery and will miss the first 6 games of the season, maybe more.

Defensive end, Langford, is also on the PUP list, but there's a good chance that he can play in the season opener.

The Cowboys are entertaining. Something is always going on with them and Jerry Jones. It must be frustrating for their fans, though.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

The PUP list for Luck is kind of intriguing. He can't practice while on PUP, but even without throwing he could practice taking the drops, making handoffs, reading the defense, and doing everything but throwing the ball. By putting him on PUP they take him completely off the field. That field time is pretty valuable.

So why put Luck on PUP? If he goes through the whole preseason on PUP the Colts could keep him on the PUP list for the first six weeks of the regular season. If they truly believe he'll be ready week one, he'd likely be active and going through the motions of being a QB. I think they're worried he won't be ready and they're being extra cautious, but they're costing him valuable practice time. It's an intriguing situation and there's lots of time in the preseason for him to get practice time in, but every day of practice he misses makes him a bit less prepared. It'll be interesting to see how long they keep him on PUP.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Lucky was going to be cut eventually.  He's had issues, not to mention

he had as many fumbles as he had catches.

Not sorry to see him go.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw wrote:

Luck being on the PUP list is probably more of a cautionary thing. His rehab is coming along well, according to Pagano, and Luck should be ready to play when the season starts. He most likely will be out during preseason. Why have him play in meaningless games ? The main idea is to get him healthy.

The bad news is that Colts safety, Clayton Geathers, had neck surgery and will miss the first 6 games of the season, maybe more.

Defensive end, Langford, is also on the PUP list, but there's a good chance that he can play in the season opener.

The Cowboys are entertaining. Something is always going on with them and Jerry Jones. It must be frustrating for their fans, though.

@teganslaw

I think Luck will be fine and will be ready for your season opener against the Rams.....Too bad about Geathers that neck injury stuff can be tricky ..

As I said many times, Jerry Jones makes Snyder seem "normal"....Woman LOL  Such a "fun" team....and some of our local sportscasters are far enough away from Dallas that they can give us a realistic picture of the team instead of looking at them through rose colored glasses (at least for 3 of the sportscasters that is)................

@teganslaw @gardenman  and anyone else interested..........

Well Cousin will be playing QB for my Redskins .(for purposes here, I'm disregarding the forced relationship ---this situation it is what it is Woman Frustrated) let's move on---the team had solid performances at mini camps and OTAs........Capt Kirk and his new WRs seem to be in sync, the running game looks improved, even if Matt Jones departs from the team, TE's and Oline are good, and look for better adjustments when it comes to the Red Zone.....With the departure of OC Sean McVay, QB Coach Matt Cavanaugh is listed as the OC, but look for Jay Gruden to be more involved with the play calling too (and some hope he doesnt forget the running game)....

The defense is still a work in progress ....it appears it will take a couple more drafts for the team to really contend, but Zach Brown at LB should be a big improvement,  and rookie LB Ryan Anderson has been impressive, Jonathon Allen hasnt really had a chance to show his stuff since there is no hitting, but everyone is looking forward to seeing him when the coaches turn him loose in preseason. It will take time for new DB coach Greg Munsky to get his unit to gel.....And the Redskins still need more D linemen and safety help and an ILB.....but the team is closing the gap...........

Overall expectations remain at 7-9 by most analysts.........considering the schedule I go along with this 

More info coming out about hiring former Redskin QB, Doug Williams, as Senior VP of Personnel, he said he didnt want to be a GM because he wanted to concentrate on players and not all the non-football duties that come with the GM title, BUT he still has as much power as he would as GM...........interesting......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@yellowrose wrote:

Lucky was going to be cut eventually.  He's had issues, not to mention

he had as many fumbles as he had catches.

Not sorry to see him go.

@yellowrose

I think he needs to change his name..............Smiley LOL  But he is "lucky" in that all charges were dropped against him and the warrant has been rescinded so he is eligble to be claimed on waivers..........Redskins please NO! 

Trusted Contributor

spurt, what sportcasters have rose colored glasses on with the Cowboys?

Definitely NOT in Dallas.  The ones I watch tell it like it is and

can be almost brutal, especially my favorite Dale Hansen.

Jerry Jones does not like Dale at all, and the feeling is mutual.

I just love my Dale, and agree with him most of the time.

Good luck to Lucky.  Maybe he'll learn how to run north/south

in kickoffs rather than east/west......and how to protect the ball.

Football 101

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@yellowrose wrote:

spurt, what sportcasters have rose colored glasses on with the Cowboys?

Definitely NOT in Dallas.  The ones I watch tell it like it is and

can be almost brutal, especially my favorite Dale Hansen.

Jerry Jones does not like Dale at all, and the feeling is mutual.

I just love my Dale, and agree with him most of the time.

Good luck to Lucky.  Maybe he'll learn how to run north/south

in kickoffs rather than east/west......and how to protect the ball.

Football 101

@yellowrose

I was talking about those in my fair city............  Gregg Simmons, Larry Ramirez with our ABC affiliate and  Joe Reinagel of our CBS affiliate ---these guys just love, love, love, their Cowboys and they will never ever utter a discouraging word about them--they downright worship them, it's NAUSEATING!  They'd kiss Jerry Jones's boots if he asked... Smiley Wink 

Now the NBC Affliate Sports Team---Don Harris, David Chancellor do a good job with balanced honest reporting ---with them it's the good, the bad and the ugly on the Cowboys..........I even emailed David Chancellor to ask who his NFL team was because his reports on the Cowboys were so negative---surprisingly he wrote back and told me he was actually a long time but honest Cowboy fan---LOL!!!  

I'm with you---- I like those that tell it like it is..........and hey I'd probably like Dale too ---Woman Very Happy  And for the record I like honest Redskin reporters that I read and listen to on the internet and APP...............

BTW the Lucky Whitehead release is being looked at by the NFL Players Association----