Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for July 2017!!!

I suspect the biggest issue for the Cowboys will be the nine new starters. That's a lot of new guys to integrate into the team. Dak can be as good, or better, but he's just one guy. The odds of finding nine new guys who are as good, or better than the guys they're replacing are pretty long. The challenge of finding better players is pretty daunting. Finding nine new starters with limited cap space and lower draft picks is going to require a lot of luck for the Cowboys. Maybe they did, but we'll start finding out in September. If those two new starters on the o-line are whiffing on blocks, then Elliot looks mortal and Dak may not last the whole year.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

I just had a superbowl thought.  Of course I want my Cowboys to be one of the

two teams playing,  but if not.....

Texans VS Eagles.  

Two teams that have never won a SB.

Good game, huh?

Not a predication...I don't think.  But could be my 6th sense

kickin' in.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@yellowrose wrote:

I just had a superbowl thought.  Of course I want my Cowboys to be one of the

two teams playing,  but if not.....

Texans VS Eagles.  

Two teams that have never won a SB.

Good game, huh?

Not a predication...I don't think.  But could be my 6th sense

kickin' in.

@yellowrose

I wouldn't mind seeing JJ Watt get a Super Bowl ring, but I think the Texans need to find a permanent starting QB first........but ya never know what can happen.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

Just realized I don't even know who the starting QB is for the Texans.

Savage? Watson? Somebody else?

Honored Contributor

@yellowrose

That is a good question on who the Texans QB will be---more than likely Tom Savage, unless they decide to throw the rookie Watson in or whether they will be content to let him sit and learn before they throw him to the wolves.........................

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I have a suspicion that Brandon Weeden may end up starting for the Texans. I think the Texans offensive strategy this year will be to avoid the big mistake and trust the defense to win games for them. If you're a QB for the Texans this summer, your number one priority should be to not throw interceptions. Play a safe game. Check it down if there's a contested receiver. Don't turn the ball over. If you can pull that off, you have a good shot at staying in the game and being the starter.

The strength of the Texans is their defense. If the QB can get them seventeen points a game, and the offense will likely be playing with a short field fairly often, so that may not be that hard, then the Texans can win a lot of ball games. With JJ Watt on one side of that defensive lline and Clowney on the other, they've got a dominant unit that can terrorize any offense.

Weeden has the experience and has played decently when given the chance. He's a game manager and that's pretty much what the Texans need this year. It could be Savage, or they could take their chances with DeShaun Watson, but don't rule out Weeden sneaking in there too.

I suspect a lot will depend on how Watson handles the team and how the vets respond to him. If they rally around him, then he could be starting week one like Wentz did last year for the Eagles. When Doug Pederson saw guys like Jason Peters listening to Wentz and following him, it made the move easy for the Eagles. If the vets are telling the kid to shut up and go sit on the bench, then he likely won't be the starter for a bit.

I think that AFC South will come down to Tennessee and the Texans.  I've got a bad feeling that the Colts won't play for Pagano this year knowing he was almost gone in 2016. When the ownership makes it clear they don't have faith in the head coach and almost fire him, it's generally bad for that team the next year. I wouldn't be surprised to see Chuck Pagano fired week ten to twelve this year. Cutting the legs out from under a head coach is seldom a good thing for an organization. When a team openly talks about possibly firing the coach, they kill the coach and might as well fire him. It's very rare when a coach in Pagano's position rallies the team around him and wins.

Jacksonville has a ton of talent, but do they have a quarterback? Blake Bortles is their Kryptonite. If he plays well, they could be a contender. If he doesn't, they'll have to find one someplace. Tom Coughlin will add a bit of intensity to their front office. We'll have to see how that translates to the field.

I expect the Texans to take the South, but Tennessee may give them a run for the money. Jacksonville has a very talented roster and could contend. The Colts are moving in the right direction from a personnel standpoint, but the uncertainty the ownership showed in Pagano (reaching out to the Saints about trading for Sean Payton) is not a good sign.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman  I  think your right, the Titans are primed to make a playoff run....they've slowly been putting the pieces together,  their QB has adapted well to become a pocket passer....and they have a good defense.....................

And it looks like Dez has strayed from the path into making everyone think he's matured....he got fined by the Cowboys for showing up late to conditioning test and physical........(Dez claimed sinus infection and headace so he stayed in Lufkin, but team said he should've informed the coaches)............animated-smileys-rolleyes-10.gif

PFT rates Giants as #9 in power ranking.............they like the addition of Marshall, but the Giants once again failed to address their offensive line........and DT Hankins left for the Colts......

Esteemed Contributor

I've always heard that the Colts players like Chuck Pagano; it was Grigson who was the problem. However, Irsay was thinking about trading Pagano for Sean Payton, so who knows what that was about? If the Colts don't win the AFC South or make the playoffs this year, Pagano could very well be gone. 

I don't see the team refusing to pay for Pagano; I think that most of them want to make the playoffs. They won't be tanking the season like the Jets and will do their best to have a winning record. I'll find out later if i'm wrong.

The only way the Titans will win the AFC South or be in the playoffs IMO is if they can beat Indy, which they haven't done for several years. If they can do that, I might consider them  a legitimate playoff team. Have to see what they do with their new talent.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

The big key for the Titans will be how quickly Corey Davis, their new wide receiver, can adapt to the pro game. If he can come in and contribute on a high level from day one, the Titans could be a handful for every team in the AFC South. Most teams were very high on him in the draft, but rookie receivers tend to be boom or bust in their first year. The Titans need him to be a boom player year one. They also need to get another big year out of DeMarco Murray.

If Corey Davis is so-so to average, then teams will cheat safeties up to take away the running game.If Davis is good to great, then that won't take place as often and will open up the running game. 

The Titans have a good starting group right now, but depth could also be an issue. They're still likely a year or two away from having great depth at some positions. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw

I think the players will play hard for Chuck, I think who they didnt like was the former GM, maybe Irsay..............

@gardenman

So Eagles cut CB Gratz and went with a QB of all things, Dane Evans (sounds like an actor on a Masterpiece Theater Show).........an erractic passer off a play action offense.....a Jet's reject?????

And folks this interesting there seems to be a big ridge getting bigger between QB Russ Wilson and the defense and Richard Sherman........interesting!

And now Zeke Elliott's accuser speaks out against him........looks more and more like suspension for Zeke!.Of course Jerry Jones believes .....guess who....STAY TUNED!