Trusted Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for July 2017!!!

@gardenman

Thanks for the welcome! As you can see from my tiny number of posts, I definitely read here more than I write! 

I hope Wentz will do better with the acquisition of receivers like Torrey Smith. Certainly wish him well. Nick Foles had that one spectacular year where he set records, etc. so was thinking if he could get that kind of performance level back he might outshine Wentz.

As to the Kirk Cousins drama, read yesterday that the Rams might be interested in a trade whereby Goff would be exchanged along with some others for Cousins. 

I, too, think it is ludicrous for Snyder to be so petty that he would worry more about his decision-making being possibly questioned rather than doing what is best for the team. That article I mentioned thought the same but acknowledged that this IS Dan Snyder! ( Sorry for the CAPS - can't figure out how to do italics for emphasis!) But if he is that insecure that he would try and keep Cousins and Kyle Shanahan apart simply because he fears that it would make HIM look bad if they proved to be a winning combo, then he really needs to just sell the team to someone who will do what is best for the Redskins!

Will be interesting to see how it all plays out!

And, Go Eagles!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@yellowBeetle

Welcome YELLOWBEETLE!  I am a longtime Redskin fan (even though I have never lived in the DC/MD/VA area, I actually live in Texas of all places---I picked the Redskins because of the coaches/players versus my location---could not stand the braggert Tex Schramm and didn't like a lot of the Cowboy players---the Redskins were a bit of an underdog too)..Today's technology makes it so easy to keep up with an out of state team....not so in the olden days I subscribed to newspapers/magazines, and a friend would tape the Redskin TV shows and send me info and Redskin gear.......

...Yes Snyder and Vinny Cerato DESTROYED what JKC and Joe Gibbs built..............yet I remain loyal to my Redskins (and gee look what the Cowboy fans have to put up with as well with "coach" and meddler Jerrah Jones, and those poor Brown's fans)............Of course it helps to be a fan of an NBA team that is considered one of the best run organization in all of sports with high quality players, a contankerous coach in Popovich, and an invisible owner---totally OPPOSITE of the Redskins--MY NBA SPURS-I think that's how I survive the Redskins and their drama and mismanagement---LOL!!!

As far as the whole Cousins fiasco---I take anything I read in the Post with a grain of salt---their hatred of Snyder and the team is well known---so they tend to color stories in a certain light and perspective.  Yep, Bruce Allen certainly BOTCHED the Cousins thing up BIG TIME and in the end it might even cost him his job --- being the son of George Allen can only take you so far!  I don't get it that Snyder has thrown millions and millions away on bad choices---RGIII, Albert Haynesworth, and Coach Spurrier is probably having a wonderful life thanks to his few months on a DC golf course and devoting little time to the team...........So what the hold up is with Cousins I just don't know, wouldnt be the first time the team overpaid for a player, but this is a QB, and QBs are in short supply!!!....I dont think starting from scratch is the answer---even if you got a top draft pick and picked one of the top college QB's it's still a gamble whether it will all work out.....and then there's always an injury waiting to happen.  Just par from the course at Redskin Park and I thought they were finally going in the right direction too!!!  The clock continues to tick..........Woman Frustrated 🏈 🏈😠

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It will be interesting to watch the young QB Prescott with the Cowboys and see if he has a sophomore slump.....and let's see how Wentz does....some personnel people think he's a belove average QB....but time will certainly tell who is right!!!  And is Eli winding up his career in NY he didnt have a very good performance last season but much of it is do to his Oline.....The NFC East is an interesting division to watch!!!  Our rivalries are the best in the league!!!  

With all this being said how the heck did PFT rate the Redskins #25 in their Power Rankings.....I mean come on---yes they lost Garcon/DJack who wanted too much money for their age, but the Redskin offense still has plenty of fire power and a decent O line, the defense has been upgraded a bit (more work to do in this area, but they should improve).....but gee I think the Redskins are better than that ranking (I have them pictured as a .500 or perhaps slightly below team---7-9)............Of course PFT hates the nickname and has a vendetta with them for that.........here's their rankings so far.....:

32 Jets

31 Browns

30 Bears

29 49ers

28 Jaguars

27 Rams 

26 Colts -what do you think of this @teganslaw

25 Redskins

To me the Redskins should be ranked higher than the Bills, Saints (oh BTW Brees wants more money-they can never get a defense), Vikings, Cardinals are a big question mark, Chargers, Bengals,  Panthers, and I think the Eagles are in the same classification as the Redskins the Eagles have their weaknesses too....I think an 18th or 17th ranking is more realistic.............

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

@Spurt

Hi SPURT! 

Thanks for the welcome!

I think that is neat that someone from Texas is a Redskins fan! When I lived in the DC area would occasionally see people wearing Cowboys shirts! 

Growing up in suburban DC I was an avid Redskins fan. Loved them. And I still enjoy hearing the song "Hail to the Redskins" after they score! But once Dan Snyder took over it has been a true fiasco, imo. How many coaches has he gone through - seven or eight? I have lost count! And there have been at least 15 or more starting QBs since 1999. I have absolutely nothing against the players - or coaches. But Snyder has almost ruined what was a truly great football franchise. And this latest drama with Cousins is just another example of his total incompetence.

So when we relocated to suburban Philadelphia it was not too hard to switch allegiance to the Eagles! Of course they have had some difficulties of late with Chip Kelly, etc. - so glad he was replaced!  Hopefully Wentz (or Foles) will step up this season  now that they have a bunch of new receivers like Torrey Smith.  

Dak Prescott was lots of fun to watch last season together with RB Ezekial Elliott. (sp?) And Eli and Co. have always been entertaining too. I agree that the NFL East is the best to watch!

Thanks again for your very nice post!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@yellowBeetle wrote:

@Spurt

Hi SPURT! 

Thanks for the welcome!

I think that is neat that someone from Texas is a Redskins fan! When I lived in the DC area would occasionally see people wearing Cowboys shirts! 

Growing up in suburban DC I was an avid Redskins fan. Loved them. And I still enjoy hearing the song "Hail to the Redskins" after they score! But once Dan Snyder took over it has been a true fiasco, imo. How many coaches has he gone through - seven or eight? I have lost count! And there have been at least 15 or more starting QBs since 1999. I have absolutely nothing against the players - or coaches. But Snyder has almost ruined what was a truly great football franchise. And this latest drama with Cousins is just another example of his total incompetence.

So when we relocated to suburban Philadelphia it was not too hard to switch allegiance to the Eagles! Of course they have had some difficulties of late with Chip Kelly, etc. - so glad he was replaced!  Hopefully Wentz (or Foles) will step up this season  now that they have a bunch of new receivers like Torrey Smith.  

Dak Prescott was lots of fun to watch last season together with RB Ezekial Elliott. (sp?) And Eli and Co. have always been entertaining too. I agree that the NFL East is the best to watch!

Thanks again for your very nice post!

@yellowBeetle

And thank you!  BTW my sister is a NY Giant fan ......so we have a lot of fun with some good natured teasing............she loves loves loves her Eli, and thinks Odell Beckham Jr is a spoiled brat----LOL!!! 

NFL training camps will be opening very soon-I cant wait for the season to start---even if its preseason  --Woman Very Happy

Trusted Contributor

@Spurt

I, too, can't wait! Our first pre-season game is August 10 against the Packers. And, our Eagles will meet your Redskins for their first game of the 2017 regular season on September 10!

Esteemed Contributor

The Colts ranking should be higher than 26; it should be in the top 20. This isn't the Grigson era; Ballard has done well in getting good, solid players. Though it needs to be seen how this works out, I like the names already chosen. The O-line and defense looks to be much improved. 

That being said, Andrew Luck hasn't thrown in practice yet. There is no set timetable for his return. That was the main reason the Colts were listed at 26, according to PFT;   everything seems to rest on Luck. Maybe the team is just being cautious and Luck is doing well. At least that's what I hope. 

BTW, welcome to the forum, Yellowbeetle! As you probably figured out, I'm a Colts fan. But I think the NFC East is one of the more entertaining divisions. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

The Colts ranking should be higher than 26; it should be in the top 20. This isn't the Grigson era; Ballard has done well in getting good, solid players. Though it needs to be seen how this works out, I like the names already chosen. The O-line and defense looks to be much improved. 

That being said, Andrew Luck hasn't thrown in practice yet. There is no set timetable for his return. That was the main reason the Colts were listed at 26, according to PFT;   everything seems to rest on Luck. Maybe the team is just being cautious and Luck is doing well. At least that's what I hope. 

BTW, welcome to the forum, Yellowbeetle! As you probably figured out, I'm a Colts fan. But I think the NFC East is one of the more entertaining divisions. 

@teganslaw 

I agree with you, I think the Colts are just being cautious about Andrew's injury...........they want to make sure he's 100% for the season................

Looks like a suspension is possible for the Cowboy's Zeke Elliott....

Trusted Contributor

@teganslaw

Thanks for the welcome!

Have always really liked and admired Andrew Luck. Hopefully his shoulder surgery recovery will allow him to be able to throw again soon!

Trusted Contributor

Rather than suspend one player at a time, lets just make it easy and

suspsend the whole dang Cowboy team for the first four games.  I'm

so sick of the drama year after year.  If only we had a team full

of Witten like players I could read/hear the news without my blood

pressure rising. 

WELCOME yellowbeetle. I don't much care for the team you root for,

but love your username. Especially the "yellow" part.  Smiley Happy