Honored Contributor

NFL News and Notes for February 2024: The Super Bowl Edition!!!

One more game and we put a bow on the 2023 NFL season! The Niners and Chiefs battle it out for the Super Bowl. This has been the season of dropped passes. Both the Ravens and Lions largely lost their playoff games due to dropped passes. The Chiefs led the league in dropped passes this season, so they've been ahead of the trend all year. If things hold true to form, the loser of the Super Bowl will be whoever drops the fewest passes. Or maybe the most? Dropping passes somehow got the Chiefs to the Super Bowl, so who knows?

In other news around the league, two teams are still lost in the wilderness searching for someone, anyone, to be their new head coach. The Seahawks and Commanders insist they have a plan and they're just being thorough. The problem is that while they're being thorough, the better assistant coaches and coordinators are being signed by other teams. And six other teams have signed new head coaches, taking those guys out of the pool. The water in the pool is getting pretty shallow at this point and neither team is likely to have the best possible staff as a result.

There are still "name" guys out there for a head coaching job, but even if you hire one of them, will they be able to find competent assistants this late in the hiring cycle? Dan Quinn is reportedly married to Chip Kelly as his OC, kind of a buy one get one free, only expensive, as neither coach will come cheap. (Jim Harbaugh signed for a reported $16 million a year to be the Chargers' new head coach. Quinn will likely be in that neighborhood.) Chip will likely bring much of his UCLA staff with him on the offensive side of the ball minimizing the problem of finding good assistants. Quinn is planning to poach guys from the Cowboys staff, which will have the Cowboys probing the muck at the bottom of the coaching pool hoping to find a diamond or two there to replace the guys Quinn takes away. Dan Quinn is in a good spot now as both of the remaining teams (Commanders and Seahawks) seem to want him. It's not like there are a lot of better options left.

And speaking of the Cowboys, Jerry Jones had some interesting things to say. One quote in particular caught my eye. While talking about the Cowboys being "all in" on winning in 2024 he said, "It will be going all in on different people than you've done in the past." Different people? What the heck does that mean? Does he want to trade away/cut Dak and replace him with Trey Lance? Was he talking about Dan Quinn and the defensive staff? Someone else?

The Cowboys are in all kinds of cap trouble and need some cap space just to re-sign the guys they need back and sign draft picks. They don't have a lot of wriggle room for "different people" unless they flush some of their more expensive guys and their most expensive guy is Dak. It's going to be an interesting offseason for the Cowboys.

The Eagles continue to build out their new coaching staff. Two former Seahawks have joined on the defensive side with Clint Hurtt and Karl Scott joining the defensive staff. Clint Hurtt is a literal mountain of a man whose move to the East Coast may shift the orbit of the planet. There's a photo of him holding a phone talking to one of the Seahawks draft picks last year and it looks like he's holding a dollhouse phone with how small it looks in his hand. He played the d-line in Miami before getting injured and turning to coaching. I'm guessing very few players talk back to him. Well, not if they want to live.

Lots of rumors of other coaches from around the league joining the Eagles, but nothing has been said officially just yet. The Eagles like to keep coach signings secret for quite a bit. If I remember correctly, they didn't identify all of the new coaches last year until the OTAs started. The reporters covering the team figured out who many of them were from who was nearby and using Eagles' credentials at the Combine and college all-star events. Kellen Moore is reportedly bringing a few guys with him from the Chargers. (Who I still automatically think of as being in San Diego. It may be a few more years before I think of them as the LA Chargers.) We should learn more about the new coaching staff in the coming days/weeks.

For thirty of the thirty-two teams, we're now well into the offseason and a whole new year of football. The final two still have a few more weeks to go before they transition to 2024. Neither team seems likely to lose a major coach though, which is

great for them as the pool to replace any coach they lose is getting very shallow.

I'm kind of surprised we haven't heard Chief's defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo's name mentioned more as a potential head coach. He's been a head coach before and has done a good job in KC. Whichever team misses out on Dan Quinn, assuming one or the other signs Dan Quinn, might pull a Hail Mary and say Spagnuolo was their guy all along and sign him. "Yeah, that's who we wanted all along. All of the other interviews were just for fun." Probably not true, but it would sound better than, "Everyone else was gone and we needed someone." 

Just one more game and we're on to 2024! 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for February 2024: The Super Bowl Edition!!!

@gardenman As a born and bred Southern Californian (living in WA now) it's in my DNA to intensely dislike any SF team! So I root for anyone playing them. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman 

Check this out, Jerry Jones says that he doesn't rule out hiring Bill Belichick eventually -----I guess McCarthy's seat is already "warm" even before the season starts! And you think how would this work considering two strong personalities ---remember Jerry did a similar thing when he hired Bill Parcells!---Parcells Press Conferences were hilarious  Cat Very Happy......Beli's Press Conferences would be more of the one word answer type...lol

Oh, here's another rumor about Bill Belichick, he's on the Eagle's radar !!!!.....If things go poorly for Sirianni, Bill might be their replacement....which could also mean a bidding war between the Eagles and Cowboys for Bill's services .

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw 

Well Doppio, the prognosticator, got both games right last week, and some extra treats for his efforts Cat LOL

For the Super Bowl he's selected the Chiefs Helmet | Roblox Item - Rolimon's

Doppio could very well be right, I don't like the way the 49ers played during that Lion's game, now Purdy started hitting his stride in the second half, but it was more the Lion's gambling on 4th down that got the 49ers back in the game.  I was impressed with the way the Chief's defense played, the players love playing for DC Spagnuolo---like @gardenman I'm surprised he hasn't gotten Head Coaching consideration. BUT my heart belongs to SF over the Chiefs for the trophy.....I like Purdy and crazy George Kittle....and 49er G  Spencer Burford is from right here in SA Wagner High School! GO 49ers!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

Well, I think we all know the game on Sunday will be a snooze fest.  The Pro Bowl used to be entertaining, but, it's just another media event now.  No reason to play hard and risk  jury.

As for the Super Bowl........too much hype.  I'm looking forward to seeing the Clydesdale commercial!!!  Ticket prices are outrageous.   Hope they schedule a decent officiating crew.

Esteemed Contributor

One article said that Super Bowl prices cost more this year because of the location being in Las Vegas. It must be an expensive place to host. 

I'll be watching the Pro Bowl. Quenton Nelson is a starter. C Ryan Kelly, DE DeForest Buckner and Gardner Minshew are listed as alternatives. 

The media is still carrying on about the pre game issues among Kelce, Mahomes and Tucker. I think it's "much ado about nothing." Put the altercation in the past and concentrate on the Super Bowl. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not planning to watch the Pro Bowl ... Yawn!

Sooo, who's hosting a Super Bowl Party and what's on the menu?

It's just gonna be Hubby and me, but I always stir up a platter of Buffalo Wings, a Veggie Platter, Mac & Cheese, and either some Ribs or a pot of Chili, along with the usual Chips, Soda and a homemade Cake or Pie.

Honored Contributor

And then there was one. The Seahawks are signing Ravens defensive coordinator Mike Macdonald to a six year deal to be their new head coach. That leaves one job open.

The Commander's are the last to find a coach. Will it be Dan Quinn? Kind of a win/win for the Commander's as it also weakens the Cowboys. In a fun twist, the Cowboys might then hire former Commander's coach Ron Rivera to replace Quinn. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@LavernLuvsShoes wrote:

Not planning to watch the Pro Bowl ... Yawn!

Sooo, who's hosting a Super Bowl Party and what's on the menu?

It's just gonna be Hubby and me, but I always stir up a platter of Buffalo Wings, a Veggie Platter, Mac & Cheese, and either some Ribs or a pot of Chili, along with the usual Chips, Soda and a homemade Cake or Pie.

@LavernLuvsShoes 

WOW! Your menu sounds great!!!! No one is really excited about this year's Super Bowl so it maybe just 4 of us....and it will probably just be something simple like picking up a pizza.......

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

And then there was one. The Seahawks are signing Ravens defensive coordinator Mike Macdonald to a six year deal to be their new head coach. That leaves one job open.

The Commander's are the last to find a coach. Will it be Dan Quinn? Kind of a win/win for the Commander's as it also weakens the Cowboys. In a fun twist, the Cowboys might then hire former Commander's coach Ron Rivera to replace Quinn. 

@gardenman @PARedbird 

Hmmmph......Washington was too slow, maybe a bit too cautious......I wanted MacD......Well it could be Quinn or someone outside the box, like Aaron Glenn which I wouldn't be happy about....I do know they are keeping current GM, Martin Mahew, in SOME capacity...sorta of in a transitional capacity, someone that knows the players on the current roster......

One thing positive about Dan Quinn when he was head coach in Atlanta in 2017 he invited Spurs GM RC Buford to attend Falcon's Training Camp. Buford met Falcons GM Dimitroff at a conference years ago and developed a tight bond with both Dimitroff and Quinn. The Spur's Buford even attended Falcons games in Atlanta and Tampa and Dimitroff, Quinn, and Buford "picked each others brains" and exchanged ideas....The Falcons went to the Super Bowl in 2016 but lost to the Patriots....The Spurs won NBA Championships in 1999, 2003, 2005, 2007, and 2014.... The Spurs plan for continued success was disrupted when cornerstone Kawhi Leonard deserted the team and headed to the Clippers at the urging of his Uncle Dennis and Kawhi hasn't won anymore Championships either.......Now we got Wemby and he needs time to adjust to the NBA...STAY TUNED