Honored Contributor

NFL News and Notes for February 2021!!!

With the Super Bowl now behind us, sadly another dud of a game, and the season officially over, it's time to switch back to the monthly format. This promises to be one of the more active offseasons we've ever seen, especially on the QB front. We've already had Stafford and Goff, switch teams. Carson Wentz is reportedly all but gone from Philly.

Maybe watching Mahomes struggle behind a makeshift o-line will have the Eagles brass rethinking that move though? They gave Carson no o-line support this year with a constantly shifting cast of characters, many of whom were not NFL caliber players. Mahomes and the Chiefs had two weeks to get their line issues fixed and they were just down two starters, not four. Carson was down four starters much of the year and often shuffling guys from week to week and even mid-game. Mahomes was only sacked three times in the Super Bowl, Wentz was sacked fifty times over twelve games and was under constant pressure. The Eagles used a total of fourteen o-linemen this season with two starters being lost before the season even started. When you're starting your fourteenth offensive lineman, you've got issues. The Chiefs were simply starting their seventh. Ha! We blew past them on that!

To give some idea of how crazy this offseason will be, reportedly multiple teams have contacted the Seahawks to see if they'd be willing to trade Russell Wilson. (They wouldn't be willing at all.) We are likely to see an unprecedented shuffling of quarterbacks this year. Between trades, free agency, and the draft, maybe half the teams will be starting a new QB in 2021.

Dallas is in their perennial "Do we pay Dak or not?" mode. Their only problem this year is they're paying him or he leaves. The franchise tag is no longer a bargain for them. He'll get $37.7 million this year if they tag him, If they tag him again next year his price soars to over $50 million a year. They've reportedly simply dusted off the $35 million a year offer that Dak refused last year and hope he'll sign it this year. Why would he sign for $2.7 million less than he'll get anyway? They're going to have to come up to more like $40 million a year and four years if they're going to sign him. If they don't then next year the price will rise even more with a $50+ million franchise tag as their only real option. They had a chance to sign him to an extension three years ago at the going market rate and decided to make him play out his deal. That was a very bad decision on their part.

Teams like the Patriots, Jaguars, Jets, Panthers, Saints, Dolphins, Bears, and more have immediate concerns at the QB position. Teams like the Steelers and Seahawks have long-term issues where they'll need one in a year or two. There's more demand than supply at the QB position this offseason and that's good for guys who don't really deserve another shot but will get it anyway simply because a team needs someone at QB.

February is typically a catch your breath type month before free agency kicks off in March and the draft in April. There will be no breath-catching this month. Everyone's still in full stride and searching high and low for a QB. It's going to be interesting.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for February 2021!!!

"Dud" of a game?  Were we watching the same Super Bowl?

Honored Contributor

The latest Carson Wentz trade rumor has the Colts hopping back into the bidding war. The Colts said no to two first-round picks, but now the price seems to be one first-round pick, one later pick (I'm hearing a third) and a player, and the Colts seem willing to talk again at that price point. The Bears were rumored to have offered their first-round pick, Nick Foles, and running back Tarik Cohen. When Tarik Cohen heard his name was being mentioned he reportedly reached out to the Bears and got assurances he wouldn't be traded. They're now reportedly offering a draft pick instead of him.

Carolina and the Patriots are still being unusually quiet in this bidding war, at least publicly, but I suspect they're talking behind the scenes. I wouldn't rule out the WFT either. I'm not sure how Wentz fits into their culture, but he's arguably the best QB option left on the market. I suspect more than a few teams are letting things sort out then they'll come in with what they hope is a winning offer at the very end and steal Wentz away. For now, the Bears and Colts seem to be the leaders in the race for Wentz.

Officially, the Eagles are saying they're keeping Wentz and they're just listening to offers. That's probably a lie now. You don't let this go on this long without truly intending to deal the guy. You'll listen to anyone offering anything for a player, but if the offer isn't there, you stamp the flames out quickly and let it die. The Eagles are more fanning the flames.

The Colts have been trying to play it cool. "We're interested, but at the right price." They then moved on to the "Yeah, not so much at that price." Now they're more into the "You know, we've been thinking. Maybe the price isn't that bad."

I'm pretty sure the Eagles have a list of teams that want them to call them back and let them know their best offer before they finalize a deal.

I still think trading Wentz is a big mistake, but it is what it is. We'll have to see how it all plays out.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@gardenman. I agree with you, the game was a dud.  I told my son earlier in the day that, no matter what, Brady will win.  Yes, he played well, and yes, the officials helped him (as usual).  After the 3rd TD I changed the channel.

As for Carson, who knows.  IMO, Howie has way too much input.  Most of our draft picks don't do well and certain veterans don't play well.  DeJack for example,  or Nelson. I also think Howie favors certain players, such as JP.  The Birds have kept too many good players slip away.  Ertz should have already been resigned.  The O line was pretty pathetic this past season.  Injuries played a big part, but, the next man up theory only works when the team has backups to put in.

For now it's a wait to see what happens while the sports writers keep coming up with more possibilities. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman @teganslaw @yellowBeetle @Lonestarbabe @sunshine45 

@gardenman  Thank you for posting the weekly NFLi 2020 Season Threads---as always you do a GREAT job!! 👏👏...And thanks to the contributors 

Now its we start what will be a very interesting "off season" before we get into serious Draft Mode...hmmmm... wonder if the NFL will use the same Draft format as last year and will be going virtually to  the homes of coaches and GMs...I rather liked it that way......  Who could forget Brian's Belichick's dog sitting at the computer and apparently making the draft selections for the Patriots....😄😉🐶 and Kliff Kingbury's luxious home complete with a grand view outside his floor-to-ceiling windows: a firepit embedded in a manicured outdoor courtyard beside a swimming pool, with palm trees and mountains nearby........And the draftees mostly at their homes surrounded by family and friends......How many liked the format.....?!?!?!?!?

The salary cap is rumored to be 180-181 milll in 2021.......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

@Zhills 

you must be a brady fan OR a TB fan......or both.

i think for many of the rest of us, the game was definitely a dud. speaking for myself, i like seeing a well played, close game, with lots of exitement, and good action. it had pretty much none of that for me.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

@Spurt 

Yes I also enjoyed the virtual approach last year! My favorite backdrop was Mike Zimmer's beautiful family room...it looked like a gorgeous hunting lodge!😉

As to what will happen here in Philly with Carson Wentz...

A new poll is out today that says a whopping 83% of Eagle fans want to see Wentz traded. I am in that group. I just do not think Wentz will do well here. If he gets a fresh start in a new city, I believe that he will  play great again. But here in Philadelphia, it just seems that Wentz is not happy, as he knows the vast majority of fans prefer Hurts.

A report this morning from a trusted local sports writer says that the sudden shift last week where Wentz let it be known via leaks to Adam Schefter that he wanted out, came about after new coach Nick Sirianni said there would be a competition between Wentz and Hurts to determine the starter. Apparently Wentz did not like that. And this same reporter confirmed other earlier stories that there has been lots of tension in the locker room, with many players describing Wentz as being difficult to get along with and describing him as a "diva". But again, hopefully in a new city and setting with a new team, Wentz could make a fresh start.

So the question is...who will take Wentz? Hopefully either the Bears or Colts will work out a deal. Both have coaches who really like Wentz and believe in him. I have said this before, but my hope is that we will get Foles back in a trade with the Bears! He would be a great backup to Hurts, as well as a terrific mentor. And the locker room loves Foles...as do the fans!

It will be an interesting period to see what happens!

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Zhills wrote:

@Zhills 

i think for many of the rest of us, the game was definitely a dud. speaking for myself, i like seeing a well played, close game, with lots of exitement, and good action. it had pretty much none of that for me.

@sunshine45  Yes, she must be. She'll learn not to post on the sports forum unless she starts her own thread. Don't want any of 'those' fans on this one.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Zhills wrote:

@Zhills 

@sunshine45  Yes, she must be. She'll learn not to post on the sports forum unless she starts her own thread. Don't want any of 'those' fans on this one.

@proudlyfromNJ 

Smiley LOL

did i sound that bad? if i did i apologize.

LOL, the only people i have spoken with or read comments from that said that the game was good are either brady fans, TB fans, or belichick haters in general. i dont think that the game lived up to its hype. OG goat versus Little goat.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

i am not sure just why WENTZ is so wanted anywhere?

i find him to be overrated and unreliable in general.

i dont blame eagles fans for wanting him gone.