Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for February 2019!!!

@teganslaw wrote:

One analyst wrote that Irsay was being petty by saying that. I guess Irsay just doesn't like NE. There is a long thread on the Colts forum about whether Brady is the G.O.A.T. I didn't join the conversation; I really don't know who I'd consider the G.O.A.T. It depends on how you view it. 

I don't see how it would help the Eagles to franchise Foles. He'll end up with another team, anyway., most likely the Jaguars. Just let him become a free agent. 

@teganslaw 

I agree how can you assess who the player G.O.A.T is....The NFL game has changed over the years, what about the QBs who played when the league was less of a passing game and more emphasis on the running game and defense........

Why isn't the Redskins  "Slingin' Sammy" Baugh considered the G.O.A.T. He  played quarterback, but also played as a defensive back and punter.  (not even Tom Brady has done that).   He was also a coach(He coached the NY Titans and Houston Oilers)

Primarily known for his passing prowess, Sammy led the league in completion percentage seven times, passing yards four times, and an NFL record six times in passer rating. However, he was also known for his versatility—having the ability to play at a high level as a punter as well as a  DB. Throughout his career, he led the league in yards per punt five times, as well as yardage in 1943 a year in which he also led the league in defensive interceptions, with 11. His yards per punt of 51.4 during the 1940 season still stands as an NFL record as of 2018.

There's alo a case for Johnny Unitas, Joe Montana, Otto Graham, Peyton Manning, Brett Favre, Dan Marino, John Elway, Bart Starr.... etc etc etc...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@sunshine45

I know your crying over Flacco....but what do you think of Steelers imploding....first Bell and his contract, rumors of criticism and Tomlin losing the team, Big Ben's criticism of team mates, and now Antonio Brown wanting a trade....

@Spurt 

there are some people here that are already wanting to buy a flacco broncos jersey!

anytime there seems to be trouble in the steelers organization is a good day for baltimore fans. LOL we will see what happens. it is never good when there is so much trouble off of the field. luckily it is happening during the off season. lots of time for repairs.  of course, we never count out anyone in our division......well, the browns for a number of years.......but now, there may be a tough year ahead for everyone in our division.

there was some talk that the ravens might be interested in bell.....definitely heard some positive feedback about that. who knows though? it would definitely make for some interesting games.

@sunshine45 

WOW!!!  Raven fans buying Flacco Bronco jerseys....I didn't realize Flacco had such a following.....

With some free agent movements and then throw in the draft,  the 2019 NFL season should be a very interesting one indeed....We could see a change in power within the Divisions and Conferences....Its what makes the NFL fun....Woman Very Happy

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

Interesting. Kaepernick, Reid and the NFL have settled their case, but no word on how it was settled. I'm guessing the plaintiffs' lawyers didn't find a smoking gun in discovery and opted to encourage a settlement rather than go to trial. Both sides have a confidentiality agreement, so no word on what really happened.

Or it could be the opposite and the NFL didn't want their dirty laundry aired.

@JaneMarple 

i have no doubt about that!.....even before i read this article today.

https://www.businessinsider.com/colin-kaepernick-nfl-embarrassing-evidence-collusion-settlement-2019...

You may notice that they refer to "embarrassing evidence" not evidence of collusion. What could be embarrassing evidence? Payments to mistresses. Payments for support of out of wedlock children. Nude photographs sent or received. Emails expressing their love to one or more mistresses. Support for unpopular political candidates. No one is claiming they found evidence of collusion against Kaepernick or Reid, but once the courts allowed discovery through the owners' correspondence, "embarrassing" evidence was uncovered. Is it worth a couple million per team to keep such information hidden? Probably. And there's your settlement. If you read all of the stories and reports you will notice the evidence found is never said to be of collusion against Kaepernick or Reid, but is embarrassing. If the lawyers had found evidence of collusion, they'd be screaming about it from the mountaintops. Instead they found "embarrassing evidence" that the owners prefer to keep out of the public's eye. The lawyers used what they had to more or less blackmail the owners and force a settlement. It happens. Everyone's more or less happy and comes out ahead.

@gardenman  @sunshine45 @JaneMarple 

That really irks me that the settlement has probably nothing to do with the actual reason the case was filed, and more to do with "the dirt" Colin K's legal team dug up on NFL owner's (The National Enquirer's scoop with revealing photo's of Amazon's CEO is probably nothing compared to what skeleton's were found in the NFL's hierarchy closets)---Meanwhile Colin K will be flashing the victory sign that he "won", but I hope someone scrutinizes him and follows up to see how much he contributes to social injustice...it could backfire on him as the "hunter" becomes the "hunted"!!!!!  Many are seeing this as not so much about injustice in society and more about just a blackmail money grabbing scheme and sticking it to the owners---  nothing much to do with providing equality and justice for all citizens.

And what a sad sad reflection on society that some of America's wealthiest businessmen are without much decency and integrity but DO have so much to hide......FOR SHAME!!!

And the saddest thing of all is who is gonna be stuck taking the monetary hit.....certainty NOT the wealthy NFL owners, they'll pass this on to their season ticket holders, team sponsor's, TV networks.....who will pass it onto advertisers who will pass it on to ALL consumers who ultimately will be picking up the tab in the form of higher prices on products and/or services....So "thank you" Colin K and NFL..Certainly not a reason for the public to be happy....

Woman Surprised..Woman Mad Woman Frustrated Woman Tongue

Honored Contributor

When I think of the GOAT (Greatest Of All Time) I think of the guys who scared me the most. At linebacker it would be Lawrence Taylor. I never saw anyone do what he did. Running back would be Walter Payton. QB would be Brett Favre. Defensive end would be Reggie White. DB might be Deion Sanders. Safety would be Troy Polamalu with Brian Dawkins and Ed Reed right behind him. I tend to ignore stats and just focus on how scary guys were to go up against. Stats can vary wildly depending on the time and trends, but fear is a constant. The guys who scared me the most are my GOAT's.

This really looks like a volatile offseason. Some teams will stay good regardless, but we're apt to see lots of shuffling going on also. The Chiefs look like they'll be good for the foreseeable future. In the NFC East the Cowboys and Eagles look solid. I don't know what will happen in the NFC North. Detroit looks shakiest, but who knows. The Saints look pretty dominant in the NFC South. The NFC West looks good for everyone but Arizona. The AFC East belongs to the Patriots. The rest of the AFC is largely a crapshoot. Lots of shuffling will take place though with some hits and lots of misses. It's going to be fun to watch.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Kirk Cousins started a giveaway to Vikings fans for Twitter, and he asked what fans wanted. The choices were; #1 signed jersey, #2 signed mini helmet or #3 other.

It didn't go well; the most popular one was a jersey, but some fans had their own ideas what #3 should be.  They were saying to give away his contract, give himself to another team, give the city a winning team, you get the idea. 

It's funny, but I feel kind of bad for Cousins. Next time there's a giveaway, he should just choose something himself, not ask for input from the fans.  

Sunshine45, you're not following Flacco to Denver? I'm only kidding, but when Peyton Manning left, there were Colts fans who switched to the Broncos because of Manning. I don't know what they did when he retired. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

Kirk Cousins started a giveaway to Vikings fans for Twitter, and he asked what fans wanted. The choices were; #1 signed jersey, #2 signed mini helmet or #3 other.

It didn't go well; the most popular one was a jersey, but some fans had their own ideas what #3 should be.  They were saying to give away his contract, give himself to another team, give the city a winning team, you get the idea. 

It's funny, but I feel kind of bad for Cousins. Next time there's a giveaway, he should just choose something himself, not ask for input from the fans.  

Sunshine45, you're not following Flacco to Denver? I'm only kidding, but when Peyton Manning left, there were Colts fans who switched to the Broncos because of Manning. I don't know what they did when he retired. 

@teganslaw 

Poor Kirk he and his wife seem like such nice good hearted people. They do a lot of charity work. They are also animal lovers and fostered and adopted animals too.  But fans are looking for results and Kirk failed to produce......Kirk should know better than leaving himself open to allow fans to write their own suggestions ....that's never going to end well...

Honored Contributor

Kirk Cousins was perfectly set up to be the hero last year. He had a good team around him. A team that had made it to the NFC championship game the year before with a lesser quarterback. They had a final game against a rival in the Bears where if you win, you're in the playoffs and anything can happen. And he came up small. The Bears didn't have to win that game, but they cruised to a fairly easy win. Then he had the meltdown with his popular wide receiver that was nationally televised.

To say it was a disappointment would be an understatement. He's gone from the most sought after free agent in recent memory to a guy who may not even be on the team at the start of 2019 if you can believe some of the rumors. It's not a good situation for him right now. He really needs to put his head down and get to work on mending things. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

In an odd quirk, it turns out the Giants were going to trade OBJ  to the Patriots at the trading deadline last year, then they got to wondering why the Patriots were willing to give up as much as they were for OBJ, then decided to keep him since the Patriots thought he had that much value. It sounds like the Patriots called to ask what it would take to get him. The Giants asked for more than they thought anyone would pay. The Patriots said, "Fine. We'll do that deal." The Giants got rattled thinking the Patriots knew something they didn't and pulled back. If OBJ gets moved this offseason expect the Patriots to be players.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

The Patriots take chances on controversial players. OBJ, Josh Gordon, maybe they're the ones who will land Antonio Brown!

I don't know what the Giants were asking, but I don't think OBJ is worth that much. Injury problems, off the field activities (though he never go arrested.) I consider him to be overrated, but I'm not a coach, so NE must see things I don't. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I read the Steelers wont trade Brown to any AFC North or the Patriots.

Oh and he now wants to be called Mr Big Chest ,  or Big Catch. not AB.  I couldn't tell what he was saying.

Hes off his rocker, for real.