Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for February 2019!!!

Randy Gregory of the Cowboys has been suspended indefinitely. That could complicate life for the Cowboys. They probably can't afford to risk losing Demarcus Lawrence in free agency now, so they'll likely have to tag him.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

some off the field NFL entertainment news.......

Ravens Lamar Jackson on Saturday teamed with New Orleans Saints wide receiver Michael Thomas, Pittsburgh Steelers defensive end Cameron Heyward, New England Patriots cornerback Stephon Gilmore and Denver Broncos outside linebacker Bradley Chubb to compete on “Celebrity Family Feud.”

Their competition? Just some guys in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

The show will air sometime during the summer.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-ravens-lamar-jackson-family-feud-20190226-story.htm...

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Lots of news out of Dallas recently. Gregory's suspension has the Cowboys increasing the pace of negotiations with Demarcus Lawrence to get him signed to a long term deal. Lawrence has said he won't sign the franchise tag and would follow Le'Veon Bell's example and sit out the whole year if necessary. With Gregory likely gone all of 2019 and possibly beyond, and Lawrence threatening to sit, the Cowboys are backed into a bit of a corner. They've pretty much got to give him what he wants, or let him walk and replace him. They need to figure out if it's possible before the free agents get picked over. If they tag him, they'll retain his rights, but if he sits the tag does them no good. They can negotiate with him into July if they tag him. But, suppose he won't yield and sits out the year. The top free agents and the draft options will be gone by July leaving a big hole on their line. The Cowboys need to either sign him, or let him walk in free agency and be ready to sign a replacement. This isn't something they can dawdle on a lot. Time is not on their side.

Stephen Jones said they're planning a new contract for Ezekiel Elliott that will use Gurley's $57+ million deal as a starting point. I expect Elliott to get $15-$20 million a year, maybe more with somewhere around $50 million guaranteed. Then they've got to resign Dak Prescott who'll want to be the highest paid Cowboy. Cap management has never been a Jerry Jones strong suit, and it looks like the Cowboys may be spending themselves back into trouble with lots of really big contracts coming up.

It's great to reward your top guys, but with the salary cap there are times you have to let guys walk rather than overpay them. If you overpay too many guys it means you have to underpay the rest. Jerry's never willing to let one of "his guys" walk. There are times you have to be willing to let a guy go. Demarcus Lawrence is a perfect test case. There are lots of competent defensive ends in free agency that the Cowboys could sign for less than Lawrence. Do they overpay Lawrence or let him walk? It'll be fun to see.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman 

There was a quote from Stephen Jones that not only Garrett but everyone's "back is against the wall"....my question was does that include Jerry as GM????....It should.....

Gregory is an absolute mess...yes, lots of teams sign players with questionable character and personal issues, but this guy is OUT OF THE BOX....and Adam Schefter just stated Cowboys are going to "stand by Gregory"....because of his sack production...the Cowboys are crazy as Gregory....SMH

And the Cowboys got more "good news" DT David Irvin is under evaluation for suspension ....he's a FA and Schefter said the Cowboys will release him.

And the Cowboys plan to part ways with WR Cole Beasley and go with Hearns.....Beasley made comments about not getting the ball enough last season (and he was right).... before they got Cooper, Beasley seemed to be their most reliable option after Witten retired....And some said Beasley would be a good fit for the Lions especially with Jones coming off a knee injury.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

some off the field NFL entertainment news.......

Ravens Lamar Jackson on Saturday teamed with New Orleans Saints wide receiver Michael Thomas, Pittsburgh Steelers defensive end Cameron Heyward, New England Patriots cornerback Stephon Gilmore and Denver Broncos outside linebacker Bradley Chubb to compete on “Celebrity Family Feud.”

Their competition? Just some guys in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

The show will air sometime during the summer.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-ravens-lamar-jackson-family-feud-20190226-story.htm...

@sunshine45 

Ill be watching....Woman Very Happy

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw 

I heard the contract with Indy for the Combine will expire in 2020 and the NFL will need to make a decision on whether to extend it.  Teams like the set up and convenience how everything is conveniently located....However, the Combine is being viewed as a prize possession now and some teams are trying to grab it away from Indy, in particular LA...but some bemoan the logistics which wouldnt be convenient at all!....I am so tired of sports leagues dissing the "small markets" and favoring LA which isn't even a sports town....its all about their TV market...but it's a turnoff for the rest of the country from a time zone issue, and a negative feeling from fans in the rest of the team's markets about LA's favoritism.....Hasn't worked out very well for LA, the NBA, and the Lakers...theNBA's best player cant save that franchise and it looks like they wont make the playoffs and ratings are down...Thoughts on Indy and the Combine?

Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

Letting Beasley walk is probably a bad idea. He's been the safety valve for Dak in recent seasons. You can't keep throwing away Dak's best/favorite receivers (Witten, Dez, and now Beasley) and get the best out of Dak. You want to build around a young QB, not tear everything down around him.

That Cowboys d-line is starting to look a tad thin. If nothing else, they need a few bodies to fill it out. If they lose Lawrence, they'll really need some help.It looks to me like they're doing what I suggested earlier and that's making their best and final offer to Lawrence and seeing what happens. If he takes it, great. If not, you leave it on the table for him but let him test free agency with the knowledge that you'll have that offer available for whoever takes it first once the free agent signing period formally opens. He can test his value in the legal tampering period, but the Cowboys will be looking at a Clowney, Dee Ford, and whoever else fits their scheme while he's out testing the water. If one of those guys agrees to join the Cowboys at that offer or less, the door closes on Lawrence.

With so many good defensive linemen in free agency and a d-line heavy draft this year, I just don't see the value in over-paying a guy. Tagging Lawrence locks you into paying him $20-$23 million this year. He's good, but not that good. I think my top offer would be in the $17.5 million range and leave it at that.

The NFL is really focused on LA these days. From what I understand NFL Media (NFL Network, NFL.com, NFL app, NFL Redzone) headquarters will be located in the new stadium in LA and everyone will work out of there. For them, moving the combine to LA in 2020 makes sense. Lots of hotels, good medical facilities for player testing, opportunities for players to get in trouble which will tell you a lot about the guy's character, and much of the league media offices there makes life easier for them.

I'm not sure the Combine is something you can rotate easily from year to year like the draft. You want the medical testing those guys go through fairly standardized so results stay consistent from year to year. Some things like ultrasound results can vary wildly depending on where they're administered. You need a gazillion hotel rooms available for the teams, players, agents, and media. It would be tricky to move from year to year. I'd prefer it to stay in Indy, but odds are it won't. I know a local reporter was complaining last year that his hotel room was over thirty minutes away.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

The combine will most likely be in Indianapolis in 2020; after that it could change, and L.A. seems the preferred choice.

One of the major concerns about the move is the connection the combine has to IU Health. (Indiana University Health.) They would have to decide who would take over that part. Logistics would be a problem, since everything is so far apart. I don't like the move, but the NFL doesn't care about convenience or familiarity. They follow the $$$$$. The NFL thinks that L.A. would be good market. If they move there, I think it could be permanent since it would be too complicated to move to a different city every year. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

Lots of press conferences going on today at and about the combine. Poor Josh Rosen isn't going to be reassured by the news from the Cards. They say he's their QB "for now." Not exactly reassuring for Josh.

Things aren't a whole lot better for Eli Manning. Shurmur said he's their QB, as he's done since the end of the season, but Gettleman, the Giants GM wasn't quite as sure about it. 

These press conferences are typically a bit painful as the GM's and coaches talk a lot, but say nothing. Those participating on both sides go out of their way to say nothing.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Its been announced that the Eagles will let Foles walk and head into free agency and will not tag him