Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for February 2019!!!

@gardenman

Did you see this?  

Eagles’ apparent tag-and-trade plan for Nick Foles would violate the CBA

Yes, the Eagles have the right under the rules to tag Foles. But unless they truly intend to employ Foles at the amount of the tag for 2019, they’re abusing the rules. Is that how the Eagles should be showing gratitude to the quarterback who delivered the team’s only Super Bowl championship?

A question Foles and his agents should be asking now, as the Eagles finalize their strategy. With so many people seemingly accepting the idea that the Eagles have every right to tag and trade Foles, the sooner Foles and his agents make sure everyone realizes that: (1) the strategy isn’t appropriate; and (2) Foles will fight it, the more likely the Eagles will possibly decide to do the right thing and let Foles hit the open market.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt

Yeah, the tag and trade option would be chancy, at best, based on the CBA. I don't think that will happen. I think there was a narrow window in which the Eagles picked up the option and before Nick bought back his free agency where a trade could have gone down, but didn't. And, truth be told, there's not much of a difference between trading Nick for a third round pick and picking up a third round compensatory pick. The compensatory pick would be at the tail end of the third round as opposed to higher, but it's still a third round pick.

If they tag Nick, the Eagles have to adjust for his $25+ million one year salary which would be a bit of a challenge. You just can't pay a backup QB $25 million. If they do tag Nick, it'll be an indication they're looking to trade Wentz instead of Nick. I don't see that happening, but it's possible. Now, bear in mind the Eagles are still high on Nate Sudfeld also. If they think Nate could be their QB of the future and they could keep Foles for one more year and work Nate in, then trading Wentz might be more of an option, but I don't think that's likely.

If the Eagles put Wentz on the market (and they'd do it very quietly) they could almost certainly get multiple first round picks and other compensation. The Raiders would be the ideal trade partner. You could likely get their fourth overall pick in this year's draft, one of their later first round picks (24 or 27) in this year's draft, and a few additional picks in later rounds. (Maybe even Derek Carr thrown in.) I just don't see the Eagles doing that however.

There just aren't a lot of guys out there who can do what Wentz does. He's one of those once in a decade kind of guys from a talent and football smarts standpoint. His injury history is a bit of a concern, but you can live with that. Could you win with a Foles/Sudfeld based team? Sure. Maybe not as much, maybe not as easily, but you could win games. Would those extra draft picks help you out now. Sure. But, this team doesn't have many gaping holes. It's not like they need three quality starters out of the draft.

I suspect Nick will just wander off to the highest bidder that has a shot at winning and take his money and the Eagles will get a compensatory third round pick next year. We'll know more in a couple of weeks as the franchise tags get played, but I don't see the Eagles tagging Nick. If they do, it's because someone's knocked their socks off with an offer for Wentz and Carson's going to be traded. That would rock Philly pretty dramatically.

But hey, anything's possible. You just never know what will happen. Most GM's will tell you anyone's available for the right price. What's the right price for Carson Wentz? It would be insanely high. but desperate teams make desperate moves sometimes.

Why would the Eagles even consider trading Wentz? Salary cap room would be near the top of the list. He'll be a $30-$35 million a year guy, maybe more, when he signs a new deal. If they could extend Sudfeld for half that ($17 million a year for five years) and get a similar level of play, then a trade wouldn't be out of the question. Nick Foles isn't a Wentz, but he leads this team to wins. Could Sudfeld do the same? Maybe. Could you use the picks you'd get from a Wentz trade to make a stronger team that could compensate for Wentz's absence? Maybe. 

My gut is the Eagles just let Foles walk and stick with Carson as the QB with Nate Sudfeld as the backup, but we'll see what happens. There's talk of the Eagles putting a second round tender on Sudfeld to be sure they keep him. That may not be enough. Jon Defillippo, the new OC of the Dolphins loved Sudfeld when he was Philly's QB coach. Three or four hours before every home game he'd get Nate and some practice squad guys out on the field and have them play an entire offensive game to get Nate some experience. When he went to Minnesota he raved about Sudfeld and how good he was as a QB. The Dolphins have a hole at QB with Tannehill likely leaving. Would it be worth it for them to spend a second round pick on Sudfeld and make him their starter? Possibly. There are higher risks out there than Sudfeld.

Who knows what will happen in the next few weeks. Sudfeld could be the starter in Miami. Foles could be starting for the Giants. Wentz could be traded to the Raiders and Derek Carr could be the new Eagles QB. Anything's possible. This has the feel of a crazier than normal offseason. Sudfeld going back to DC wouldn't shock me. The Redskins would likely prefer not to give up a second round pick to get him, but it's a possible move for them. this is one of the crazier offseasons we've seen for a while and there are lots of pieces in motion and I'm not sure anyone knows how it will all shake out. Maybe no one goes anywhere. Maybe the Dolphins stick with Tannehill, the Giants with Eli, and the old QB's all stay in place one mroe year. Mabye the market for Foles won't exist and he'll come back as the backup in Philly again. You just don't know what will happen.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman

Good analysis, and yep we really dont know what is going on behind the scenes with the team's GM and brain trust...

Todd Mc Shay put out his latest mock, 2.0----They consider any trades in this mock.

Despite QBs Drew Lock and Daniel Jones sitting there at #15, McShay has the Redskins taking a play-making wide receiver. Marquise Brown WR Oklahoma.  Id rather have an O-Lineman, but the good ones were gone early in the first round.  This pick makes sense because Crowder is UFA and Richardsons injury will take 6-8 months for recovery....Doctson has been a disappointment

Todd has Eagles taking DT Dexter Lawrence, Clemson, he comes with baggage In December, Lawrence was among three Clemson players suspended for failing a drug test. The NCAA found trace amounts of ostarine in Lawrence's sample – Ostarine is a performance-enhancer which is listed on the NCAA banned substance list.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

The Colts hired Klayton Adams as assistant offensive coach and Howard Mudd as senior offensive assistant. I don't know much about Adams, but Mudd is a good hire. He was with the Colts during the Peyton Manning era, and brings expereince and knowlege to the team.. They must have offered a nice deal to get him out of retirement. 

Guard Matt Slauson has announced his retirement. He missed part of 2018 season due to a neck injury, so I don't blame him for call it quits. That's nothing to mess around with. Wishing him the best of luck.

I haven't been following mock drafts, so I don't know who Indy would target. As far as free agent pass rushers, Jadaveon Clowney and Trey Flowers are two top ones. Both would demand mucho money, so I doubt that Indy would get them. 

I would go for Braden Smith, as I think he's low risk and could produce. SPURT, you have mentioned that he tends to disappear at times, but I'm willing to chance that. Another player I'd like is Za'darius Smith of the Ravens. I don't think he'd be as expensive and is a solid performer. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw

Preston Smith may play better with newcoaches and a team like the Colts that's going to be a contender...

McShay has the Colts taking 

Indianapolis Colts: Trayvon Mullen, CB, Clemson...and the commentary---

Indy could use a receiver, but the secondary is a bigger need. Mullen, a long and lean corner, had four interceptions over the past two seasons with the Tigers and would help shore up the Colts' middle-of-the-road pass defense.

Honored Contributor

The Eagles typically take linemen (mostly defensive) in the first round, but this is a deep draft in defensive linemen, and the Eagles could line up and play well with the guys they have now, barring injuries. With the draft being deep in the d-line, I think the Eagles will look elsewhere early and pick up a d-lineman or two later. If the top running back is still on the board, they may draft a runner. Offensive line is a possibility, but I doubt that any first round caliber guys fall to 25. Wide receiver is a possibility and oddly enough, so is quarterback. There was a bit of chatter about the Eagles targeting Lamar Jackson last year before they traded the pick to Baltimore. They had a lot of interest in him. If a kid is still hanging around at 25, they could grab him to groom him.

A lot of people have the Eagles grabbing a DB, but most of our issues at DB last year were injury related. We're pretty deep at DB if they stay reasonably healthy. We had 18 (I think) different starters at DB last season due to injuries. Linebacker is a weakness. Typically though the Eagles don't use a first round pick on a linebacker. My gut keeps coming back to running back. It's the biggest roster hole right now and unless we sign a name guy in free agency, I could see us grabbing a good runningback. 

Free agency will shuffle all the mock drafts around a bit. Teams will fill holes with free agents coming, and new holes will appear from free agents leaving. The early mock drafts will look laughable in a few weeks and new ones will emerge.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

In my last post I meant Preston Smith; not Braden. The Colts already have Braden. 

The Colts can use a receiver, but it's not the most pressing issue. WR Ryan Grant and Dontrelle Inman will be free agents, so it depends on what happens. I hope they can keep Inman.  Grant has been injured and, when healthy, made some nice plays, but overall hasn't performed as expected. 

The Falcons are releasing K Matt Bryant. Maybe cap issues, I don't know the reasoning behind it, as he's been very good. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

The Falcons seem to feel their losing season was due to team chemistry and they're wasting no time flushing out the guys they don't want. They cut Robert Alford (already signed by the Cards) and defensive end Brooks Reed. The Matt Bryant cut was a bit odd though. Kickers aren't usually a team chemistry type issue and he was 20 for 21 on field goals in 2018. He was dinged up a bit with various injuries, but he's been pretty steady for them.

Kirk Cousins is now looking forward to 2019. He's got some serious fence-mending to do though. That sideline tantrum he threw with his receiver was not smart. Those kind of antics can poison a guy who's supposed to be the team leader. If the receiver screws up, you let the receiving coach deal with it. You pat the receiver on the back and tell him it's going to be okay and to be ready when you go back on the field. You don't spend five minutes diagramming the route he was supposed to run in mid-air. That's distracting you from what you should be focused on and distracting the team. If I was betting, I'd bet Kirk has a worse 2019 than he had 2018. If he hasn't already lost the team, he's likely on a very, very sort leash.

Baltimore's talking about building the team around Lamar Jackson with complementary players to suit his style of play. That's smart if you can keep a backup (RGIII) who has the same style of play, but potentially really bad if Jackson gets hurt and you don't have a complementary backup. Skewing an offense to one player's skill set is a high risk enterprise. Not many quarterbacks survive a full season in the NFL. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

The Falcons seem to feel their losing season was due to team chemistry and they're wasting no time flushing out the guys they don't want. They cut Robert Alford (already signed by the Cards) and defensive end Brooks Reed. The Matt Bryant cut was a bit odd though. Kickers aren't usually a team chemistry type issue and he was 20 for 21 on field goals in 2018. He was dinged up a bit with various injuries, but he's been pretty steady for them.

Kirk Cousins is now looking forward to 2019. He's got some serious fence-mending to do though. That sideline tantrum he threw with his receiver was not smart. Those kind of antics can poison a guy who's supposed to be the team leader. If the receiver screws up, you let the receiving coach deal with it. You pat the receiver on the back and tell him it's going to be okay and to be ready when you go back on the field. You don't spend five minutes diagramming the route he was supposed to run in mid-air. That's distracting you from what you should be focused on and distracting the team. If I was betting, I'd bet Kirk has a worse 2019 than he had 2018. If he hasn't already lost the team, he's likely on a very, very sort leash.

Baltimore's talking about building the team around Lamar Jackson with complementary players to suit his style of play. That's smart if you can keep a backup (RGIII) who has the same style of play, but potentially really bad if Jackson gets hurt and you don't have a complementary backup. Skewing an offense to one player's skill set is a high risk enterprise. Not many quarterbacks survive a full season in the NFL. 

@gardenman 

Yeh, that whole Kirk/Thielen scenario was bizarre ....and ESPN said it wasnt the first time Thielen made comments and expressed his unhappiness and frustrations with the offense, he had been unhappy with the Seahawks game too....I think Thielen just got fed up.....And Kirk didn't want to take the blame nor responsibility for it, afterall he got all that money, but not delivering, fans were mad the offense seemed to have been better under Case Keenum.(Keenum had better stats in his last year with the Vikings)  Kirk has even more pressure on him in 2019 to deliver, and Thielen a top WR in the NFL, is one player Kirk shouldn't alienate. From the stories he shared, Thielen is well liked by his teammates too, and Kirk doesn't want nor need to divide the locker room.  I think sometimes Kirk is more concerned about not taking a hit, or throwing an interception than the moving the team down the field to win....

In the case of Cousins, Bruce Allen faced a real dilemma, Kirk always seemed to underperform in key situations and there were reports of finger pointing in the Redskin's locker room too, but the Redskins thought maybe it was due to injuries on offense. They thought he would realize his potential with a healthy team, but did he merit the cap hit, and could a cheaper option do just as well????  The Vikings thought with a better receiving corp and a better scheme Kirk could be a really good QB.  The Vikings got their man, now time will tell...but not looking good for either Kirk, Vikings, nor Redskins....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The best name in all of sports....Jim Bob Cooter---has been hired by the Jets---YAY!

This just in....Prescott expects the Cowboys to “pay what’s deserved” and makes it clear he expects to be paid more than Patriots quarterback Tom Brady who has a team-friendly deal that paid him $15 million in 2018.

Marvin Lewis has a new career ---He will be in the NFL Network broadcast booth for Sunday night’s game between the Salt Lake Stallions and Arizona Hotshots of the Alliance of American Football.

Bengal fans had some funny and interesting comments:

*The coach whose catch phrase was, “I see better than I hear,” will now be heard and not seen during a football game. Interesting.

*I’m a Bengals fan.

He will say “you know” over 150 times.
 He will say “so forth” over 100 times.
 He will do a lot of giggling.
 He will say “that’s a good thing” over 50 times.

*Marvin is a nice guy, but he has no personality what so ever. Don’t see how he can be effective in the booth unless he has another side we never saw.

*prediction… he will call games for 15 years and will never call a playoff game

*Is he going to bring in Hue to be his side-kick?

*How does this guy keep getting jobs?
 He’s a bad HC, keeps his job for 15 years
 He has zero personality, put him in the broadcast booth.
 20 years from now he’ll get a job as a fashion designer.

(P.S. Ask me if I'm excited about the AAF....NO,NO,NO--been there,done that...) Nice to see former NFL players affiliated with the league--Moose Johnson, Hines Ward, Troy Polamau-- @teganslaw  Bill Polian is one of the founders