Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for February 2018!!!

@Spurtwrote:

It looks like the NFL "official" coverage of the draft will be on Fox which will be a simulcast from the NFL Network, but ESPN will also televise it on its own.......

It will be in Dallas this year and I'm guessing the crowd will not be into it as much as the Philly fans were and 70,000 fans were in attendance the first night........

A lot of Philly fans are planning to fly to Dallas to take over the draft, like they took over the two games in LA and the Super Bowl. They tend to believe the league stole the draft from Philly after our impressive showing, so they're going to Dallas to steal it back and show the league that they can move the draft from Philly, but they can't take Philly out of the draft. Expect a very large group of Eagle fans in Dallas for the draft.

I'm expecting a very interesting first round of the draft. You've got a bunch of teams that desperately need a QB who won't have gotten one in free agency, fighting it out over the kids in the draft. I expect multiple trades (the Colts and second Browns picks, three and four, are likely to be highly coveted) with Arizona, Denver, the Jets and likely a surprise team or two trying to manuever into one of those slots.

I keep hearing that the Jets will do whatever it takes to land Cousins and if they do, then that could knock them out of the QB lottery, but bump Arizona up. Going from the teens to the top five is expensive, but the Rams did it to get Goff, so it's doable. The Rams traded two firsts, two seconds, and two thirds to get Goff, but they seem pretty happy about that now. The Cards might have to do something similar if they've got their eyes on a specific guy.

I expect to see A J McCarron and Nick Foles both get moved, simply because they'll be in that much demand. Foles to the Broncos or Cards makes some sense. McCarron to the Browns almost happened at the trade deadline, but could be resurrected. These next few weeks/months will be interesting.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@teganslawwrote:

Safety Su'a Cravens has been reinstated in the NFL.  What are the chances that Washington would sign him again?

WR Tyrell Wiliams is a restricted free agent, and several Colts fans would like Indy to sign him, if he's available. Since former Chargers' OC Nick Sirianni is now with Indy, he could bring Williams with him. I would like to get Williams, but haven't seen any news about that. So far it's just speculation and wishing on the side of Colts fans.

Su'a Cravens big issue is his teammates in DC. A lot of them don't want him back. They consider him a quitter who hurt the team by walking away. His agent is doing damage control by blaming concussions and saying he's okay now, but any locker room is going to be wary of the guy and likely a tad hostile towards him. About the worst thing you can call an NFL player is a quitter, and lots of guys have called him that.a

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenmanwrote:

@teganslawwrote:

Safety Su'a Cravens has been reinstated in the NFL.  What are the chances that Washington would sign him again?

WR Tyrell Wiliams is a restricted free agent, and several Colts fans would like Indy to sign him, if he's available. Since former Chargers' OC Nick Sirianni is now with Indy, he could bring Williams with him. I would like to get Williams, but haven't seen any news about that. So far it's just speculation and wishing on the side of Colts fans.

Su'a Cravens big issue is his teammates in DC. A lot of them don't want him back. They consider him a quitter who hurt the team by walking away. His agent is doing damage control by blaming concussions and saying he's okay now, but any locker room is going to be wary of the guy and likely a tad hostile towards him. About the worst thing you can call an NFL player is a quitter, and lots of guys have called him that.a

@teganslaw @gardenman

From what I been hearin about Su'a Cravens it doesnt sound like the Redskins want him back.....they are trying to create a culture of "real football guys" --guys that love the game...one thing you can say about the team is despite all the injuries (and some guys even toughed it out and played hurt) they didnt quit......and Su'a has already shown football doesnt mean that much to him....who knows when he'd take plays off etc .......and teammates have spoken out and dont want him back....Of course with Bruce Allen in charge ya never know.....Woman Frustrated

One thing about this QB shortage had me thinking that the NFL really needs a Developmental League like the NBA has which is different from baseball)...that way at least they could take the college QBs and teach them to be an NFL QB and also develop other positions as well......The colleges are concerned about winning and they are going to play the way they can be successful, since thats what brings in tons of money to the colleges....so they dont care if its hurting the NFL if they prefer the option game....and maybe some of these kids would bypass college and jump right into the NFL Developmental League..... 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I think part of the quarterback shortage is caused by a lack of coaching at the pro level. Most teams have one quarterback coach and he's often only focused on the starter. The Eagles had seven coaches working with the quarterbacks, and before Wentz's injury, when Sudfeld was inactive, they'd have Sudfeld on the field for 45 minutes pre-game going through everything he'd do in a game situation. He joked that it was easier playing against the Cowboys than his normal routine. 

When you look at Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota, they haven't really progressed much. There are a lot of guys in the league with the arm talent to be a good quarterback, but they never get the coaching they need. The Eagles have voluntary work with lots of their younger players after the team practices, and that's very helpful when you need those guys to play.

No quarterback on the Eagles roster will say he didn't get the coaching he needed. We've got two plus coaches for each quarterback. That's without including Doug Pederson or Frank Reich who also coached up the quarterbacks. That level of coaching can help fix mechanical issues and get the quarterback's thought processes working properly.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Interesting. A J McCarron will be a free agent this year after winning his grievance. That will make him a fairly rich quarterback. The Bengals were hoping he had one more year under contract, but the arbitrator ruled otherwise. Now the Bengals need a backup and McCarron gets a shot to be a starter.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I didn't know that A.J. McCarron had filed a grievance against his team. I had to look up the story on the NFL website.

Former Colts player Vontae Davis has been cleared  to play and is visiting the Bills. There will be some teams interested in him, but it won't be Indy. He was very good a few years ago, but lost productivity due to injuries. Also, he didn't leave the team on positive terms: he criticized the way Pagano coached and felt disrespected. I won't be surprised to see him land elsewhere, though.

Joe Thomas is lobbying for Kirk Cousins to join Cleveland. Don't know how that will work since Cousins wants to be on a contender.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

The Browns have the personnel and cap space to be competitive with a good QB and a good draft. I'm just not confident in the coaching staff. It's not easy to go 1-31 over two seasons. If I'm Kirk Cousins, that staff would have to really sell me that they were competent. As a fan, I just don't see that staff as being competent.

In fact, the coaches on most of the teams vying for Cousins aren't especially reassuring. The Cards, Broncos, Jets, Browns, and Giants have new/unproven staffs. The Jags and Bills might be the best coached options. The talent level around the league is pretty even, but coaching makes a big difference. Hue Jackson has shown me nothing as the Browns coach.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman

WOW-7 coaches for QBS---WOW most teams arent going to pay for 7 coaches just for a QB .....these are the teams that caused the NFL to institute a minimum cap amount that HAS to be spent.....But the league could share the cost of a developmental league....and the city/town where they are located could chip in also........

One thing about the Redskins golden era was that Jack Kent Cooke was the owner and he paid the assistants more than what teams paid for head coaches.....thats why they stayed with the team instead of taking a head coaching job elsewhere.....

With Snyder he used to pay a ton for free agents that didnt work out....but I think he's saving some money for a new stadium he wants......complete with moat that can be used for surfing??!??!!?!?!?!?!?.......Woman Frustrated..

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenmanwrote:

The Browns have the personnel and cap space to be competitive with a good QB and a good draft. I'm just not confident in the coaching staff. It's not easy to go 1-31 over two seasons. If I'm Kirk Cousins, that staff would have to really sell me that they were competent. As a fan, I just don't see that staff as being competent.

In fact, the coaches on most of the teams vying for Cousins aren't especially reassuring. The Cards, Broncos, Jets, Browns, and Giants have new/unproven staffs. The Jags and Bills might be the best coached options. The talent level around the league is pretty even, but coaching makes a big difference. Hue Jackson has shown me nothing as the Browns coach.

@ I just dont see Cousins going to NY....this is a guy that keeps a notebook for each prospective team with coaches, asst coaches, and key players listed....the Jets got rid of key players so they wouldnt have to pay them....and they arent famous for building a team around a QB....hence the state they are in now....they need more than a QB....think how long ago was there last Super Bowl....did Joe Namath wear a leather helmet ---LOL Smiley Wink 

BTW did you hear that the Browns are prepared to give Drew Brees an ENORMOUS offer if he'd be willing to come to the Browns............Brees impresses me as the type thats all about the money....thats why his team has suffered and hasn't been able to have a complete team....FINALLY they did this year and now his contract is up which is going to mean the team will have to restructure contracts or get rid of some players....back to square one...........I dont think he'd go to the Browns though.........

Honored Contributor

@Spurt

Officially the Eagles had around 25 coaches, but they also have other guys who are working as apprentices/interns, or something, so the real number of coaches is closer to forty to fifty. Eagles players get lots of coaching and it shows.

Drew Brees to the Browns seems a bit crazy. He's a short term solution and they need a long term answer at QB.

Cousins to the Jets could happen. The Jets need a QB and started out strong last year. The reports I hear have him most likely going to the Jets or Broncos. I think the Cards might jump in also. The Bills would be a long shot option, but you never know. The Jets have made it known they want Cousins and will pay whatever it takes. 

Those first few days of free agency could be pretty crazy. I suspect lots of discussions have taken place already and teams have a general guideline of what it'll take to sign a guy.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!