Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for February 2018!!!

[ Edited ]

@yellowBeetlewrote:

@Spurtwrote:

@yellowBeetle

LOL at the Post! 

One of the local columnist said one of the best things he saw at the draft party where the draftees were introduced at Redskin Park was there was no Snyder welcoming the draft picks and giving a speech and showing the 3 Super Bowl Trophies and bragging about the team....Snyder sat quietly in the back and didnt speak at all...and then the columnist said....now if he'd move his seat TOTALLY out of the building........Woman LOLWoman LOL   But let me tell you if you lived in Texas...Snyder is better than Jerrah Jones Smiley Happy

Since Bruce is the son of the revered coach George Allen, Snyder will probably never get rid of Bruce.....SIGH.......Woman Frustrated.  Maybe keeping him busy with Snyders dream of a new stadium will keep him away from the decision making.........

@Spurt

Hey there, 

Funny story in your post about Snyder! And yes, I agree that compared to Jerry Jones, Snyder seems rather mild! Woman Wink

Part of my dislike of Snyder stems from some stories about him that have nothing to do with football. One involved his mansion in Potomac, Md. His estate backs up to the Potomac river. All of the homes along that stretch have large trees at the back of their properties, where the land then steeply drops down to the river...and somehow they are legally forbidden to cut down those trees. But that did not stop Snyder. He had his trees cut down which of course left a gaping hole. He took a lot of heat for it but paid the fine. Just an example of him wanting what he wants. One other episode involved a power outage after a brush with a hurricane. It was in 2003 I think ... most of the DC area lost power ... some for days. Potomac was among those especially hard hit. Snyder had multiple non-electric  generators that he used to light up every single room of his house. While others were lighting candles, people said Snyder's home looked like a gigantic XMAS tree with lights blazing from top to bottom. Did not endear him to his neighbors!

I know those are kind of petty things...but just symbolize why he is not highly thought of by many in the DC area. He also is notorious for charging people through the roof for things at the stadium, etc.

But Bruce Allen is a total dud and dolt. And you are right...Snyder revered Bruce's dad so he will never get rid of Bruce!  

@yellowBeetle

Those kind of stories about Snyder you dont get to hear unless you live in the area, thanks for sharing...I would have been very mad about those trees too........

At least he was a Redskin fan growing up---- I was afraid when John Cooke sold the team after his dad died that the team was going to be sold to some NY Real Estate Mogul that also submitted a strong bid............YIKES!  .

There was a good book about Jerry Jones called "Jerry Jones King Of The Cowboys".....talked about many of his escapades 

As far as overpriced stadium food....that happens for all sport team's.stadium, but at least some upgrade the type of food you get for your money........Even what my NBA Spurs charge... ...but that has more to do with the contract of the company they use to run the concession stands and restaurants in the stadium. There was a big fight between the concession companies when it was time to renew the stadium contract...Of course NBA stadiums are so much smaller than the NFL....I will tell you the Texans concession offerings are very good.  But Dallas's not so great.....one time we went to a game in Dallas and it was freezing cold and of course the stadium at that time had a whole in the roof...and we wanted something hot to drink and they actually ran out of hot chocolate and coffee...............

We have a good NBA owner they do so much in and for the community, so we are spoiled here, but now the Holts are getting a divorce so no one knows how this will impact the team....if they will sell it or keep it. Right now his wife, Julia is running things, attends league meetings etc, but basically she lets the basketball people do their thing......and thats what her husband did too he turned the running of the team over to her 2 years ago...........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslawwrote:

Gardenman, it's interesting that your posts mention Saquon Barkley going to the Eagles. I have a feeling that he will be drafted by another team before the Eagles turn...unless they trade up to get a higher draft spot. I haven't heard about that; have the Eagles' draft place changed?

I think that Cousins would be a good fit for Minnesota. He would have some high quality players surrounding him.

Chicago is releasing backup qb Mike Glennon. Trubisky is their starter, and they feel they no longer need Glennon. After signing Glennon to such a large contract, I didn't see that coming.

@teganslaw

I wonder who Trubisky's backup is going to be....hmmmm????  Well Glennon got his money....and look at Osweiler...terrible QB and what the Texans paid him.($37 mill was guaranteed just from the Texans and Browns paid 16 mill to cut ties with him)..........of course look what happened with my team and RGIII and what we gave up.....Woman Frustrated

Yep, I agree, unless the Eagles make a big trade and move up Barkley is going to be gone....he's one of the prize selections in this year's draft....Some say the Giants are eyeing him....but that could be a smoke screen to cover who they really want...they could go QB to bring in an heir apparent to Eli........Some mocks show Cleveland grabbing Barkley at #4............

Good news the Broncos have expressed an interest interest in a trade for Su'a Cravens

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt

Thks so much for that last post! Interesting about the Spurs, etc. And the over-priced food, drinks, etc. everywhere!

Yes, that is definitely a plus that Dan Snyder grew up being a Redskins fan! I really think part of the problem is that he loves the team so, so much that he is not patient enough to give it the time necessary to recapture those glory days of the 1980s into the 1991 season. He has always seemed to be looking for the quick fix, either through a new coach or some big-name player. When good things don't happen right away he then tends to get antsy and restless and moves on to another quick fix.... 

It is a very good sign, imo, that he did not pull the plug on Gruden. And maybe this Alex Smith move will actually work out. 

I still have a love of the Redskins! Grew up a fan...it gets in your blood! But we have become so disillusioned with Snyder since he took over in 1999... and later with Allen. We had actually switched over to being Eagles fans shortly after Snyder took over after seeing his methods. And then moving to the Philly area later just sealed it for us! But when I hear "Hail to the Redskins" I still smile!!Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@yellowBeetlewrote:

@Spurt

Thks so much for that last post! Interesting about the Spurs, etc. And the over-priced food, drinks, etc. everywhere!

Yes, that is definitely a plus that Dan Snyder grew up being a Redskins fan! I really think part of the problem is that he loves the team so, so much that he is not patient enough to give it the time necessary to recapture those glory days of the 1980s into the 1991 season. He has always seemed to be looking for the quick fix, either through a new coach or some big-name player. When good things don't happen right away he then tends to get antsy and restless and moves on to another quick fix.... 

It is a very good sign, imo, that he did not pull the plug on Gruden. And maybe this Alex Smith move will actually work out. 

I still have a love of the Redskins! Grew up a fan...it gets in your blood! But we have become so disallusioned with Snyder since he took over in 1999... and later with Allen. We had actually switched over to being Eagles fans shortly after Snyder took over after seeing his methods. And then moving to the Philly area later just sealed it for us! But when I hear "Hail to the Redskins" I still smile!!Woman Happy

@yellowBeetle

I can understand why you switched to the Eagles because of Snyder...its sad to see how far the Redskins have fallen from the glory days of Cooke & Gibbs to what they are now.....There are many Cowboy fans that have switched allegiance to a different team all because of Jerry Jones, so you are not alone in your sentiments for a reason to switch teams......At work when the season starts the company designates a day where you can wear NFL jerseys or t-shirts and they even bring in tailgate food for lunch....I was shocked to see jerseys of so many different teams...oh there are a few die hard Cowboy fans and I do receive a few sarcastic comments from them....Woman Tongue  Im glad we get to work from home most of the time... LOL! 

Well we will wait and see how Alex does at QB...and Im glad Snyder kept Gruden...I think Snyders too used to his business deals and when he wants something to happen it gets done, not so much with the NFL takes time to build.............And for old times sake Im sending you an HTTR Smiley Wink ..

Hey theres a twitter topic trending #FIREBRUCEALLEN ....Woman LOL

I liked Doug Williams interview at the combine....he said that he can't even recall the talk of tagging Cousins had come up in the meetings...he said that is something the media ran with....but he did say yes they could do it, but he doubts it....he said the Redskins might be active in free agency and go for the best player available in the draft...depending on what happens with the team's own free agents........

Nice chatting with you.

Trusted Contributor

@Spurt

I like that twitter topic about firing Bruce Allen!!Woman Happy

HTTR!! Woman Wink

So nice chatting with you, too!

Enjoy!!

Honored Contributor

Just a quick note about over-priced stadium food. In Philly something like 60-80% of the price goes to the city as a tax. The same is true of the parking fees. The city makes far more money than those running the concessions.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenmanwrote:

Just a quick note about over-priced stadium food. In Philly something like 60-80% of the price goes to the city as a tax. The same is true of the parking fees. The city makes far more money than those running the concessions.

@gardenman  @yellowBeetle

The Spurs play at the AT&T Center which is located in the county not the city....But the Alamodome (we were to build it and the NFL would come so said Mayor Henry Cisneros--but it never happened---Jacksonville got "our team" and it was hinted none other than Jerry Jones gave the committee a few discouraging words about putting a team here.

(another reason to hate Jerrah)..... Jerry Jones didnt want to split the Texas NFL pie 3 ways, he already split it with the Texans....

This was interesting what happened with the Alamodome and the concession contract went up for bids.  No NFL team but the Alamodome is basically now used for NCAA Men and  Women's Regional and Final Four basketball, UTSA football, Valero Alamo Bowl, music concerts, MLB exhibition games, International exhibition Soccer games, high school football regional playoffs, conventions, home shows, etc etc was awarded to 2 vendors one of which is from Philly....

In March 2016, two new vendors will soon take over the concessions contract at the Alamodome, with plans to bring more local fare to the arena’s food and drink menus.

The City Council on Thursday awarded the arena’s $105 million, 15-year concessions contract to a joint venture between Savor, a Philadelphia-based boutique food service company, and local Black Tie Affairs Catering.

The new team, which takes over in March, unseated Aramark Corp, which has been the Alamodome’s food vendor since it opened in 1993.  It’s expected to generate $7 million in gross revenue a year, with $2.8 million of that going to the city. Texas Fine Foods was also a bidder. 

Savor and Black Tie Affairs have recruited hometown restaurants such as Los Barrios, Earl Abel’s and The Big Bib barbeque restaurant to set up shop in the arena, said Richard Ojeda, Black Tie’s owner. They plan to sell sausage from Kiolbassa Provision Co., beer from Alamo Beer Co., spirits from Rebecca Creek Distillery and a selection of wines from the Fredericksburg area.

“Our hot sauce, our chili con queso is not coming from cans, it’s not coming from New York,” Ojeda said. “It’s coming from San Antonio.”

The concessions switch is part of an overhaul of the 65,000-seat sports and entertainment complex, which soon will begin a $42 million renovation to replace its concessions stands, double the width of its concourse, upgrade its video screens and renovate its locker rooms, among other changes which will be completed November 2017. 

That explains everything....No wonder Aramark food was awful--canned chili on hot dogs and taco salads, and nachos........and Earl Abels...no one goes to that restaurant but 80 yr olds in an incorporated suburb called Alamo Heights (many ritzy homes there) .....never heard of that barbeque place either.......Now Fredricksburg, TX  does have good wine....Los Barrios is a good Mexican restaurant....