Trusted Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for February 2018!!!

wrote:

@yellowBeetle  I appreciate your vote of confidence in Cleveland.  The fans here have always stood behind the team, but at the end of last season (winless), was the first time I saw people leaving the stadium and throwing their Browns jackets on the ground.  I can't say I blame them, though.  We really thought they would win some games last year.  Yes, they have a mostly rookie young team, but I saw way too many dropped balls, offsides, and sacks.......even for a high school team.

It appears maybe the owner has decided to invest some real money in the team this year and not trade away or waste their draft picks.  They have hired some experienced management.  I'm still holding out hope!

@2blonde

I can certainly understand that what happened this season in Cleveland would be a real downer for the fans......

It does sound encouraging, though, about the owner's upcoming actions......

Best of luck for a turnaround 2018 season!!!Woman Happy

Trusted Contributor

Was just reading about the parade on Thursday in Philly for the Eagles! They are expecting over one million to attend! Will start at 11:00 and at 2:00 there will be a ceremony on the iconic steps at the Philadelphia Art Museum. 

I'm not wild about huge crowds so will be watching from the comfort of my family room sofa!Woman Wink Will DVR it so my husband can see some of it later after work. Our local stations will cover it as will the NFL Network (for at least part of it).

Should really be something! One of the organizers said the city has been planning this for over 40 years!!Woman Happy

Go Eagles!!!

Honored Contributor

wrote:

It's official: Josh McDaniels is now Indy's HC. He will be introduced in a press conference Wednesday. All the rumors about him backing out and staying with NE can finally be put to rest. I don't know the terms of the contract; that might be stated later. 

Now he did back out. Staying in New England. Kraft allegedly sweetened his contract .

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Honored Contributor

I would guess McDaniels might have been told he will be top head coach candidate when Belichick retires.

Josh was not successful in Denver, and has had Tom all these years. He's a completely unproven commodity outside the Pats system. And who would hire him now after what he did to the Colts? New England is his future option. 

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Honored Contributor

New England is now his only option. Talk about burning bridges. He'd already hired a bunch of assistants who were already working in the Colt's offices. What happens to them now? I suspect they're not very happy with him.

The Colts have handled things about as badly as humanly possible. Last year they made it clear that they were keeping Pagano simply because it was too late to change coaches by the time they'd hired their new GM. This year they thought they had a top young assistant all queued up, only to have him stab them in the back. All of the top prospects have now been hired, you've got a bunch of assistant coaches signed to contracts who you may now have to fire if whoever you hire as the new head coach can't work with them. It's a bad situation all the way around.

Maybe Belichick is planning to walk away this year? McDaniels is creating lots of trouble for lots of people with this move. Now the Colts have to settle for a head coach instead of getting a prime pick. The psychological impact on the team with this move is huge. Players have to buy into what a head coach is selling, and whoever the Colts head coach will be, will have a tough job selling his message.

So the Colts still don't know if Luck's shoulder is good. They have no head coach. They've got a partial coaching staff that may, or may not, hang around. Top assistants have already been signed around the league. This is about as bad as things can be for a team this early in the off season. The good news is it's early in the off season. If they can find the right head coach and he can assemble a competent staff, they might come out okay, but it's kind of a longshot.

I think Sean Payton is still unsigned, but he claims he'll remain a Saint. The Colts may reach out to see if they can pry him away. The Saints aren't truly married to Payton since they tried to trade him last year, but jeez. Now the Colts are in desperation mode and Payton may be their best option. These next few days are going to be interesting.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

The Colts forums are exploding with the news about McDaniels backing out. To say that people are upset is an understatement. Someone mentioned that the situation  should be called  #coachgate. Why did the Colts announce his hiring if he didn't sign anything? The team made it sound like it was done deal. They already hired assistant coaches, and now McDaniels backs out. Colts fans don't like the Patriots anyway, and this just adds to the distrust. I think that both sides are to blame; Indy's future is on the line, and they can't even do this right? 

Is it true that Belichick is planning to reiire? That maybe McDaniels will be the head coach of NE soon. and that's why he turned down Indy. 

I didn't need to start the day hearing about this. Hopefully, they will find a good candidate for HC.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw

A lot the Patriots did this past off season had me thinking they were pushing all their chips in to win in 2017. I speculated then that Brady, Belichick, or both might be leaving after this season. They made moves they don't typically make. They pretty much bet the team on winning the Super Bowl this year. Now that they've lost, we could see Belichick stepping aside. That would explain McDaniels backing out of the Colts' job to take over the Patriots' job.

That Patriots' job isn't looking all that great right now. They have no heir apparent young QB after trading away Garoppolo. Brady's challenging to work with. They'll likely win enough to avoid a high pick to get a good young QB. The Patriot dynasty could be collapsing pretty quickly.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

As to Josh McDaniels' very unprofessional and tacky move, I agree with some analysts from the NFL Network who are saying that in the long run, this may turn out to be the best outcome for the Colts.

The gist is if McDaniels was this wishy-washy and obviously someone whose heart was not in this Colts' job, then good riddance. And also, he was a total bust in Denver in his short stint there as a head coach. 

The feeling is that Kraft and Belichick must have assured him that he would be the heir apparent to Bill when he retires. But the thinking is that there is no ironclad guarantee as to when Belichick will retire...or that they will actually then put McDaniels in that job when he does.

One thing is almost certain...McDaniels will never be hired by another team! Who could ever trust him?

Honored Contributor

In a quirky bit of news out of DC, the Redskins may still put the franchise tag on Kirk Cousins, and then try to trade him. Yeah, sure. That'll go over well with the players. The Redskins could then control his rights until they decided to cut him loose. There is one tiny little hiccup to that plan. Cousins could sign the tag and be guaranteed the $34 million from the Redskins. He could hurt them rather badly by doing that if he chose to do so. The Redskins thinking is, "He's got value and we can get something for him by tagging him and trading him! If no one trades for him, we can just rescind the tag." But if Cousins signs the tag, then the Redskins are on the hook for the $ 34 million and once signed, the tag can't be rescinded. If they end up with both Cousins and Alex Smith on the roster, those two QB's would eat a third (or so) of their salary cap. That's not good.

Someone needs to go into that Redskins' front office and shake things up. They're largely cornering the market in bone-headed moves and tagging Cousins yet again might just be their biggest goof.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

wrote:

The Colts forums are exploding with the news about McDaniels backing out. To say that people are upset is an understatement. Someone mentioned that the situation  should be called  #coachgate. Why did the Colts announce his hiring if he didn't sign anything? The team made it sound like it was done deal. They already hired assistant coaches, and now McDaniels backs out. Colts fans don't like the Patriots anyway, and this just adds to the distrust. I think that both sides are to blame; Indy's future is on the line, and they can't even do this right? 

Is it true that Belichick is planning to reiire? That maybe McDaniels will be the head coach of NE soon. and that's why he turned down Indy. 

I didn't need to start the day hearing about this. Hopefully, they will find a good candidate for HC.

@teganslaw

The way the Colts got jolted that was just awful, and now the Colts are stuck with assistants that McDaniels hired.....The Patriots have struck again with what I think was rather a devious and conniving thing to do...Why didnt Kraft and the Patriots try to retain McDaniels BEFORE McDaniels had hired assistants..and to me those contracts of the assistants should have been able to be voided if McDaniels backed out!!!!!......

Now the Colts are left in a bind....most of the good HC candidates have been signed and the Combine is quickly coming up and the Colts dont have a HC....and who would want to work with Assistants they didnt have a say in hiring????  It just adds fuel to the fire why ALL NFL fans HATE the Patriots!!!!  

So sorry Colt fans.......Those in the NFC thouht Jerry Jones was conniving, but he looks like a saint compared to Kraft and the Patriots..........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”