Honored Contributor

NFL News and Notes for February 2018!!!

[ Edited ]

With the Super Bowl now behind us it's time to get back to our normal monthly news and notes format for the off season. This will be a very busy off season. We're likely to see lots of changes at the QB position. We already know the Chiefs and Redskins will have new starters. Buffalo, Denver, Arizona, NY Jets, and Cleveland at least will have new QB's. Lots of other teams could join them.

Lots of new coaches will be taking over teams. Baltimore seems to be making the classic mistake of telling the world they considered firing their coach this year, but decided not to. That seldom works out well.

Lots of good kids coming out in the draft this year. Expect quarterbacks to go early and often. Saquon Barkley will be a name I'll be watching. He's likely to go in the top five. A lot of people last year had him going to the Eagles, but that's unlikely unless the Eagles move Foles and get a top five pick in return. Adding Barkley would make the Eagles indefensible. I could see the Broncos trading for Foles, giving the Eagles that fifth pick in the first round. Some people have Barkley going first or second overall, so he could be gone by that fifth pick, but that could be interesting to watch.

Teams are already looking at the free agents to see who they'd like to pick up and at what price. Kirk Cousins will be the big name to watch. The Vikings need someone to play QB but all three of their guys are free agents.r

The NFL season never really ends.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for February 2018!!!

@gardenman  I sure was impressed with Foles during the Superbowl!  It will be interesting to see if the Eagles keep him.......I think he deserves to be a starter somewhere.  The Browns (here in Cleveland) could use him, but I don't think he could do as well here since he wouldn't have that great Eagles team to back him up (and catch the ball).  If I were a good QB, I'd be mortified if I got drafted by, or traded to the Browns!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

key upcoming dates for 2018:

Feb. 20: First day teams can designate franchise players.

Feb. 27-March 5: NFL scouting combine, Indianapolis

March 12-14: Three-day nontampering negotiating window with free agents

March 14: The start of free agency and the new league year

March 25-28: Annual league meetings, Orlando, Fla.

April 16: Teams with returning head coaches can begin offseason workout programs

Mid-April: Release of NFL regular-season schedules

April 26-28: NFL draft, Dallas

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

Some analysts have the Colts taking Saquon Barkley at #3, while others think the Colts will go for Chubb. The team needs defensive players first, so I'd be surprised if they draft Barkley. It's all theory, anyway. 

The other person killed along with Colts' linebacker Edwin Jackson was an Uber driver named Monroe. Jackson had gotten sick while being transported by Monroe, so they stopped by the side of the road, where a drunk driver hit them. The driver had no license and gave the authorites a false name. He is currently being held in jail while prosecutors are determining what charges to file against him. Sad situation.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think the Eagles are a perfect example of how vitally important this period is for a team. Look what Howie Roseman did last year putting together this Super Bowl winning team! It is staggering to see the names of players who were not even with the Eagles a year ago!!

These are just some of the Eagles who were added at some point last year....

MVP QB Nick Foles

LeGarrette Blount

Corey Clement

Alshon Jeffery

Torrey Smith

Jay Ajaii

Chris Long

Derek Barnett

There were others too....

But it is just amazing that a team that was 7-9 the previous year could then win the Super Bowl the following season!! 

What a difference a year makes!!!Woman Wink

Respected Contributor

@yellowBeetle  I admit to not being an Eagles follower previously, but I really wanted to see them beat NE.  I soooooo enjoyed that game!  They put forth a tremendous effort to accomplish what they did, and they truly deserve that trophy!  I ache to have a home team like that, but the Browns are, and have been, such a mess for a long time.......some of us have lost the faith.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

The Eagles knew at the end of last season what they had in Wentz, and were determined to surround him with talent. They started out by signing every out of work offensive lineman they could find. I believe we had 19 on the 90 man roster heading into the OTA's with 12 of them with starting experience.

Wide receiver was the next target with Torrey Smith and Alshon Jeffery being picked up. They then picked up Mack Hollins and Shelton Gibson in the draft. Running back was the big void, but they signed Corey Clement as an undrafted free agent, then signed Legarrette Blount, before making the trade for Ajayi. The Eagles went from a team with very little offensive talent to one that could play with anyone. It was a heck of a transformation. Then they patched the holes on defense and we were on our way.

We've got some very, very talented kids now about ready to step in, we'll be adding a few more. We've already signed a bunch of guys to future contracts who have potential, and the talent looks even better for 2018. I'm not sure we'll target anyone in free agency unless a real bargain appears. (Suh?) We'll add more talent in the draft, and barring a disaster, should be in good shape for 2018. It's a bit early for that 'dynasty' word to get tossed out, but the future looks bright for the Eagles.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

wrote:

@yellowBeetle  I admit to not being an Eagles follower previously, but I really wanted to see them beat NE.  I soooooo enjoyed that game!  They put forth a tremendous effort to accomplish what they did, and they truly deserve that trophy!  I ache to have a home team like that, but the Browns are, and have been, such a mess for a long time.......some of us have lost the faith.

@2blonde

Thank you for supporting the Eagles!!Woman Happy This is their first Super Bowl win, which makes it that much sweeter!

I truly think it just takes the right combo of talent coming together and "clicking"....which the Eagles proved is possible with their remarkable turnaround in one year from having a lackluster 7-9 disappointing season to then winning the Super Bowl in the following year! The Eagles show it can be done rather quickly! 

So if the Browns can get a really good QB and support him with some great weapons, then it can happen! And of course having a good defense, special teams unit, etc. is needed, too. Woman Wink 

But it will happen for Cleveland! Woman Happy

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@yellowBeetle  I appreciate your vote of confidence in Cleveland.  The fans here have always stood behind the team, but at the end of last season (winless), was the first time I saw people leaving the stadium and throwing their Browns jackets on the ground.  I can't say I blame them, though.  We really thought they would win some games last year.  Yes, they have a mostly rookie young team, but I saw way too many dropped balls, offsides, and sacks.......even for a high school team.

It appears maybe the owner has decided to invest some real money in the team this year and not trade away or waste their draft picks.  They have hired some experienced management.  I'm still holding out hope!

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

It's official: Josh McDaniels is now Indy's HC. He will be introduced in a press conference Wednesday. All the rumors about him backing out and staying with NE can finally be put to rest. I don't know the terms of the contract; that might be stated later. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain