Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for February 2017!!!

Jerry Jones likes to do the unconventional. He's talked up Romo a lot in recent weeks and said on several occasions that the team was built for Tony Romo. He's talked about getting a "war daddy" top tier defensive end who could eat up two blockers as a priority. There aren't a lot of those guys floating around out there. About the only way he could even concievably move up from 28 to first in the draft would be by packaging some very valuable assets. Arguably his most valuable asset right now is Dak Prescott.

Tony looked really good in the limited action he had in that regular season finale. Jerry has said he's got another three years or so of football in him. They'll need a new backup no matter what and Josh McCown who the Cowboys love is now available. I just have a suspicion that in the back of Jerry Jones' mind is the idea of saddling up behind Tony Romo one more time with McCown as the backup should Romo fall, and pick up another kid later in the draft as the new Dak and hope to get lucky twice.

We'll have to see what happens, but if the Cowboys make a huge trade and move up to that first overall pick, you heard it here first. It just has a Jerry Jones kind of feel to it.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Super Contributor

G-Man -  That might be what Jerry has in mind,  but I think Stephen has a lot of influence now,  and  could change JJ' s  way of thinking on that.  Also  Jason could chime in.

ROSIE ..... What are your thoughts??   I  wouldn't trust that Tony could hold up to the rigor very long.  Too much of a risk!

Honored Contributor

@Txblond wrote:

G-Man -  That might be what Jerry has in mind,  but I think Stephen has a lot of influence now,  and  could change JJ' s  way of thinking on that.  Also  Jason could chime in.

ROSIE ..... What are your thoughts??   I  wouldn't trust that Tony could hold up to the rigor very long.  Too much of a risk!

It'll be interesting to see what kind of rumors pop up between now and the draft, but the Browns have recently said that they're not totally locked in on Myles Garrett. which is their way of telling other teams, "If you've got the right deal, we'll listen."

Jerry Jones is a big wheeler dealer who loves Romo and seems reluctant to let him go. I don't know. My gut says JJ got frustrated last year in the draft when he couldn't get any of the quarterbacks he wanted when other teams kept hopping ahead of him. (The Eagles to get Wentz. The Broncos to get Lynch. The Raiders to get Connor Cook.) The Cowboys pretty much defaulted to Dak Prescott because nearly everyone else was gone. If they've got a similar grade on another QB in this draft, JJ might just think they can get another Prescott.

Charlie Casserly thinks the Browns will trade their twelfth pick in the first round to get Garoppolo from the Patriots. I'm not so sure of that. Garoppolo really hasn't played all that much (two starts.) With Dak you've got 16 full games to judge him by. I think if the Browns had the chance to pick up Dak Prescott, and two first round picks with a second or two thrown in, they might just make that move. Jerry Jones loves McCown and tried to trade for him, but he's now available as a backup and they could try drafting another kid in a later round to replace Dak. 

If JJ really feels that Romo has three to five years of solid QB play left in him, I just don't see him letting him go. With Dez and Jason Witten getting up there a bit and Jerry's unending cap problems that he keeps pushing back a year or two further making it an even bigger issue down the road, he might just opt to make the big move, get a monster defensive player in Myles Garrett and hope for the best down the road.

Mock drafts have quarterbacks going all over the place this year. My gut says the top three (Deshaun Watson, Mitch Trubisky, and DeShone Kizer) will all go in the top ten picks of the draft. With the Browns, Bears, Jags, Jets, Bills and Niners, all desperately needing a QB, and limited free agent options and only two obvious real trade options (Garoppolo and McCarron) I think the QB's will disappear fairly quickly. Some mock drafts don't have all three going in the first round. I think they'll all be gone in the top ten picks.

I'm pretty sure a few teams will reach out to the Browns to offer them a solution to their quarterback problems. I could see the Redskins offering up Kirk Cousins since Scott McCloughan their GM doesn't ever want to pay a QB more than $20 million and Cousins will make $24 million this year under the tag and $34+ million next year if they tag him again. The Redskins have Colt McCoy and Nate Sudfeld (6' 6", 235 lbs, and a good arm, but inconsistent) as spare QB's they could use if they flush Cousins and getting a JJ Watt type player in exchange isn't a bad tradeoff. Sudfeld is a guy who with the right coaching and some playing time could turn into a stud. (Or a dud, you just never know.) McCloughan drafted Sudfeld though so he apparently has some hopes for the kid.

I think teams have seen the impact Joey Bosa had once he finally got on the field for the Chargers last year (10.5 sacks 41 tackles, one forced fumble all in just twelve games) and the thought of what a Myles Garrett could do for their defense has them all dreaming of a way to go up and get him. Guys like him don't fall too far in the draft, so if a team wants a guy like that, they've got to go up and get him. Jadeveon Clowney's bounce back this year has teams salivating over the prospect of getting a disruptive defensive end.

There are two NFC East teams with a quarterback situation that would allow them to trade a good, young, somewhat proven quarterback, to move up to get a Garrett and still potentially field a competent team in the Redskins and Cowboys. The Cowboys have Romo and likely McCown while the Redskins have McCoy and Sudfeld in reserve. I think the Browns might value Prescott more than Cousins (largely due to the contract situation and long term cost) and I would almost be more surprised if one of those two teams didn't at least try to make the move up to get Garrett. 

It makes some sense for both teams. Defensive ends tend to have long careers and can be incredibly disruptive. Good ones are hard to find. Myles Garrett is generally regarded as a once a decade type guy. The price to get him would be high, but it's doable. We'll have to see what happens.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

blondie, my thoughts are that this is all making my head spin and I don't want to talk about it anymore. LOL  But, I've been doing some reading and I've changed my tune a little. Gardenman's opinion about trading Dak is shared by others. Give you credit for calling it first Gardenman, should it happen, since I read it here first.

I still don't think we'll trade Dak, but best to consider the possibility rather than go into shock IF it happens.  Another interesting thought is that we start Romo next season. At best, he may have two years left if he stays healthy, but should he go down or play badly, we have Dak.  Now I wouldn't mind that one bit except for the fact that  we'd have two good QB's while our defense is still lacking.

Going to be interesting

Super Contributor

Rosie  -  I don't  think Dak will want to be a backup.   Why fix it if it's not broken is my motto.  Just don't trust Romo's health!  Surely we can find a good pass rusher, either in free agency or draft.  Prescott and Elliott are a great team.    We shall see.....O.K.......don't want your head to spin anymore-  LOL

Trusted Contributor

LOL.blondie.   Older I get, the easier I spin.

Trusted Contributor

Oh, forgot to mention.  Little Romo #3 is due in August.

A sign that Romo will be in Texas come August?

Esteemed Contributor

I won't even attempt to figure out what the Cowboys plan on doing in free agency. I'm glad I don't have the responsibility Jerry Jones has.

The Colts have released lineman D'Qwell Jackson. He was one of their better players a couple years ago, but his production had decreased this past season. He was suspended the last four games for PED violation, so those factors made him expendable. He is also 33 years old, and Ballard has indicated that he wants to go with younger players.

The media has been saying that the Colts should target Melvin Ingram, who is set to become a free agent. I don't know if they're interested, but it's something to watch for.

The Giants released Victor Cruz and Rashad Jennings. There are reports that the Broncos might be interested in Cruz. I think that he hasn't been the same since his injury, so not sure how that would work out.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

Victor Cruz had a torn patella tendon and that's typically a two year injury to rebound all the way. He's likely to be pretty productive next year for a team as it's now been two years since he tore it. He's a pure slot receiver and not so much a wide out though. He's also getting a bit older, so he'd be best on a team ready to compete now that's needing a slot receiver.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

It's tagging day! Today is the first day teams can officially place the various franchise tags on players. Now it doesn't mean a whole lot other than as a sign that the team really doesn't want to lose the guy, but it helps to refine the picture a bit on who will, and who won't be free agents.

Teams have a choice of tags. There's the exclusive franchise tag which means no one else can even talk to the guy. The team has to pay the guy the average of the top highest five players at that position from last year or 120% of his previous year's salary, whichever is greater. This gets pretty expensive pretty quickly for the higher paid players around the league.

Then there's the non-exclusive tag. Here the player can negotiate with any team around the league, but the original team has the right to match any offer he receives. The payday here is typically a bit lower in that it's the average of the top five highest paid players at that position over the previous five years, or 120% of the previous year's contract, whichever is higher. If the original team opts to not match the offer they would get two first round draft picks as compensation. (Which is why you pretty much never hear of a team signing such a guy. That's a steep price to pay to sign a guy.)

And finally there's the transition tag,. The transition tag guarantees the player the average of the top ten players at his position last year, or 120% of his last year's salary, whichever is greater. Other teams can negotiate with the player, but the original team once again has the right to match the offer. If they refuse to match the offer, there's no compensation and the guy just joins the new team.

Players have several options if they find themselves tagged. They can sign it immediately (which is what Kirk Cousins did last year) and that locks it in so the team can't withdraw the offer. 

Teams can and do withdraw the franchise tag designation some years (Josh Norman being a recent example) so signing it immediately prevents that. Some teams like to tag a player and then let free agency largely play out, then withdraw the tag and with most of the free agency money spent and other free agents signed to fill roster holes elsewhere the player has less negotiating power. 

A tagged player can still negotiate a new contract up until July 15th (or so) and sign it, but after that date, they're locked into the franchise tag number.

Teams will typically work like mad to sign a guy to a long term contract quickly as tagging them repeatedly gets very expensive. Kirk Cousins will be making around $24 million this year if he plays under the tag and if they tag him again next year it'll be more like $34 million. 

I'm pretty sure the Eagles won't tag anyone. The only free agent of note is Bennie Logan and he'd be overpaid if tagged. They might put a transition tag on him, bu tI doubt it.

There's been some speculation that the Redskins could use a tag other than the exclusive tag on Kirk Cousins to gauge interest in him around the league. (They believe his value is in the $15-$18 million  a year range.) Since they'd have the right to match any offer he got that could give them a lower cost way to get him signed to a long term deal as it's likely no other team would sign him for the $24 million he'll make this year or the $34 million he'd make next year under the exclusive tag. Kirk has no real need to sign a long term deal with the Redskins considerng the paydays he's pretty much guaranteed now. Anything that pays him less than $58 million over the next two years (that's an average of $29 million a year) would be a pay cut for him and it would be kind of silly to sign such a deal and he and his agent know it.

If the Redskins were to tag him in such a manner that Kirk could test the market, he'd likely find that his market value around the league tops out at $20 million a year (at most) and not the $29 million he'll be averaging by playing under the tag. Now even if a team offers him a $20 million a year deal, he'd likely say no, and play under the tag instead where he'll make $24 million this year and $34 million if tagged again next year. He's got a whole lot more control over his future than is ideal for the Redskins.

Over the next two weeks we'll see some players tagged and off the free agent market. Some of those guys will then sign new contracts and have the tag withdrawn. Guys nearly certain to be tagged include LeVeon Bell of the Steelers, Chandler Jones of the Cards, Eric Berry of the Chiefs, Kawann Short of the Panthers, and Kirk Cousins of the Redskins. 

Lots of guys are on the bubble including Jason PIerre Paul of the Giants, Terrelle Pryor of the Browns, AJ Bouye of the Texans, and lots, lots more. We won't know who the free agents will be until the tagging period ends. A few of those who get tagged may ultimately have the tag revoked and be turned loose after the initial wave of signings is done, like Josh Norman last year.

Some teams pretty much have to spend a lot in free agency due to the fact that they have a lot of unused salary cap space. The new CBA forces teams to spend 95% of the cap on player salaries in any given year. Teams like the Browns with over $100 million in cap space have a lot of money they have to spend. Rookie contracts are a set value these days so they'll eat about ten million of that, but that's still a lot of money they have to spend.

Some teams like the Cowboys are already over the cap by $11+ million and have to cut that much in salary just to break even. Then they've got to free up millions more to pay their rookies before they can even think about signing free agents. So we've got cash rich teams like the Browns and Niners and cash poor teams like the Cowboys all needing new players, and players all looking to cash in. This next month or so looks to be pretty busy around the NFL.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!