Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for August 2022!!!

I have never tried to dress one of my cats in a uniform. Some silly nonsense about my not healing in time for the regular season from all of the bites/clawing. Our old Golden Retriever loved to wear her Eagles Jersey though.

photo37.jpg

That's an old, old photo now. Probably 32-ish years? She was a pup then and lived to be fourteen. She died when Lizzie was young and Lizzie's now 19. So, my best guesstimate is that was around 32 years ago?

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

Jimmy G to the Giants has been rumored for a bit but doesn't really make a lot of sense. He's a pocket passer who lives on the check downs. Brain Daboll's system requires a mobile QB. He's expensive and the Giants don't have a lot of cap room. He'd be an upgrade in terms of talent, but do you change your system to fit the QB?

We'll have to see. I suspect the Giants' rumors are being used as leverage to try and squeeze more from a real suitor. 

@gardenman 

I think my sister would love to have Jimmy G, but he'd get killed unless Eli taught him the Eli "fetal position" to protect himself....Jimmy wouldnt have a decent oline nor many weapons on offense....

Yeah. The Giants have a competent o-line this year, but not a good one. A competent o-line is a big step forward for them from where they've been. 

If you look at what the Giants are doing, spending picks this year on both lines, bringing in competent starters, signing Tyrod Taylor to a two-year deal, not picking up the fifth-year option on Daniel Jones, etc.. They're building for the future. They're going to draft a kid QB next year, use Taylor as a bridge QB and ease the kid in. They'll be hoping Saquon bounces back, but you can always find a competent RB. They're setting the stage for what's to come. And it's not Jimmy G. He's older, expensive, a different style of QB, fragile, and would cost picks to acquire. It just doesn't fit. 

Could it happen? Sure. Who knows what madness lurks in NFL GM's minds? Maybe Schoen has always loved Jimmy G and thinks he deserves another shot. Who knows? From the outside, it looks absurd, but you never know what will happen. Daniel Jones hasn't looked impressive from what I've heard, so maybe they're thinking "What can it hurt?" Maybe the Niners will pick up part of Jimmy G's contract? Maybe it's like the deal the Texans and Browns made a few years back with Brock Osweiler where the Niners will send Jimmy G and a pick just to get him off their books? 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I like the photos of cats and dogs in NFL jerseys and helmets. My cat, Simone, would look cute in a Colts jersey, but I would end up with injuries if I tried that. 

SPURT, you have some tuxedo cats, is that one of your cats in a Cowboys jersey? Woman LOL

I'm looking forward to the HOF game Thursday. Both teams have new rosters, so we'll get to see what they're like. Next week starts preseason.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

I have never tried to dress one of my cats in a uniform. Some silly nonsense about my not healing in time for the regular season from all of the bites/clawing. Our old Golden Retriever loved to wear her Eagles Jersey though.

photo37.jpg

That's an old, old photo now. Probably 32-ish years? She was a pup then and lived to be fourteen. She died when Lizzie was young and Lizzie's now 19. So, my best guesstimate is that was around 32 years ago?

@gardenman @teganslaw 

Awww ...what a cute pup!  Goldens are my FAVORITE dog breed....some friends always had Goldens, such sweet dispostions...

Yep, know what you mean about dressing up cats in anything for that matter!!!  I wonder how these people got the cats to wear the jerseys or helments....Maybe they used that new spray that vets use to calm cat's nerves, or maybe a strong dose of cat ****** 😸Gee, mine wont even wear a festive collar at Christmas.....

Now my sister had a cat named Padme (named after the Star War's princess) she was an unusual cat and enjoyed dressing up----whether it be for Christmas, Easter, Fiesta, or the 4th of July.....She passed away about 6 yrs ago......She also had both a NY Giant and a Spurs jersey she'd wear on game day.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

I like the photos of cats and dogs in NFL jerseys and helmets. My cat, Simone, would look cute in a Colts jersey, but I would end up with injuries if I tried that. 

SPURT, you have some tuxedo cats, is that one of your cats in a Cowboys jersey? Woman LOL

I'm looking forward to the HOF game Thursday. Both teams have new rosters, so we'll get to see what they're like. Next week starts preseason.

@teganslaw 

I do have 2 Tuxedo cats...but NOPE that Tuxedo is NOT one of my cats---no way would I ever put my cat in a Cowboy jersey!!!! 😸  

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

The Cowboys' depth at WR just got a lot more shallow. James Washington went down with a suspected Jones' fracture. That's a two-plus month injury generally. He had to be carted off and could be gone longer. Julio Jones is no longer out there, so the Cowboys will need to find another receiver.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

The Cowboys are saying James Washington will be out 6-10 weeks. That's a pretty optimistic outlook. Most of the things I've read put the recovery time at two to four months, which would be eight to sixteen weeks. And that's just for healing, not getting back into football shape. And then there's the matter of confidence in the foot. As a receiver, you must trust your feet. I'm not sure he'll be able to. At least not for a while. When you make that hard cut on a recently broken foot, it messes with your head. You ease off and don't stress it too much. You don't want to break it again. 

The Cowboys are apt to go out shopping for a spare WR now. There are still some "name" guys out there. The problem is that there's a reason those guys are still out there, and it's not because they're too good. They all have issues of one sort or another. And the Cowboys won't be able to sign a guy cheap. Everyone knows how desperate things are getting in Dallas with the wide receiver spot. 

Eagles' rookie Jordan Davis continues to impress everyone. When players talk about him they all comment on his size, strength, and speed. He's been manhandling a lot of the guys going against him. Eagles' rookie center Cam Jurgens held his own against him, but he's been about the only one of the backups who can handle the kid. The linebackers are fun to watch talk about the kid. Their eyes light up when they see how many blockers he absorbs leaving them free to flow to the ball uinimpeded.

The Deebo Samuel contract has some trickiness in it, as expected. There's at least one void year lowering his cap hit this year. Their top 51 cap number now stands at $1.5 million, but they need 53 players on the roster and the practice squad guys so they've got to do something with Jimmy G before too long. Their cap space for everyone on the roster now is $28+ million over the cap. They need to flush Jimmy's $25.5 million pretty soon.

As camps go on, his value goes down. I'm pretty sure they know the Seahawks are just waiting to pounce on him and they're going to make them wait as long as possible to get him. That's kind of tacky and doesn't resonate well around the league with other players. As a rule, players don't like being held hostage and that's what the Niners are doing with Jimmy G. If you're a free agent and you have a choice between going to a team that treats you well and one that holds you as a hostage, you're more inclined to go to the team that treats you well.

The Niners might think a starter will go down somewhere, but Jimmy G isn't Aaron Rodgers and even if a starter drops, teams might be more inclined to look elsewhere for a new starter. They need to accept reality and let the kid go. If he goes to Seattle, so be it. You don't want to look scared of him and that's how they look now. It's not a good look. Send him off, wish him well, and pray you beat him when you play them. Andy Reid traded Donovan McNabb to the then Redskins knowing we'd play him twice a year. You just send the guy on his way.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman 

One of the WORST trades that the Redskins ever made was getting McNabb,  ---McNabb was old and his talent was waning and Andy Reid was smart enough to get that deal done...plus McNabb was starting to divide the Eagles locker room too...McNabb relished the idea of playing his former team twice and "making them pay"...........🙄

That IDIOT Bruce Allen was the Redskins GM, so many HORRIBLE decisions in Allen's tenure...Mike Shanahan was the Redskins coach, but Mike did not sign off on this deal (smart man) rumor was they did not get along and Mike ended up benching McNabb who had more INTS than TDs......Fansided agreed with me this trade was a DISASTER!!!....

Yep, the Cowboys are in trouble with that injury.....

Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

Eagles' fans weren't thrilled with trading McNabb to the Redskins. Why help a rival? It worked out though.

The Niners need to do the right thing with jimmy G and let him go. If he ends up in Seattle, so be it. They feel Trey Lance is the better option so let your guy face their guy and see who's right. Holding him hostage is just a bad look. It's not a huge cap hit to let him walk. I think it's less than $1.5 million in dead cap. Just let him go and see what happens. Every day they hold him hostage is one less day he can be learning a new system and getting ready to play. It's not a good look for an organization to hold a guy you don't want hostage to try and keep him for a rival.

Yeah, the Cowboys had WR issues to start with after losing Cooper and Cedrick Wilson. Michael Gallup's ACL recovery will keep him sidelined. Ceedee Lamb is looking around the WR room and wondering, "Where is everyone?" Dak will be wondering that as he's sitting in the pocket. They've got some issues there to deal with.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

The Dolphins got a good spanking for tampering with Brady and Sean Payton. They lose their 2023 first and 2024 third round picks. A fine, some suspensions and more.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!