Esteemed Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for August 2022!!!

The 49ers need to do something soon. Jimmy G will need time to study the new playbook if he goes to another team. It looks like the Rams are out since Stafford says his elbow is sore, but not serious. 

OBJ has reportedly been in talks with the Colts. One of the reports is by a "reliable source." unnamed, of course. The Colts community, Stampede Blue, hasn't mentioned this, so I take it as a rumor right now. Interesting if it would happen.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman 

Well GARDENMAN, your old coach, D. Vermeil did not break down and cry during his HOF speech.....

I didnt know it was Redskin TO BE coach, George Allen that gave Vermeil his first shot at coaching, which was with special teams.....Allen was a biggie regarding special teamsand one of the first coaches to recognize their importance....So if it wasnt for Allen no Eagles Super Bowl in the future with Vermeil as head coach...he did cry back then....😉😄

BTW great book on Allen, "Fifth Quarter" written by his daughter, Jennifer, a writer and one time contributor to the NFL broadcasts...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AuntG wrote:

I already heard a Super Bowl pick (the Bills). Some of those sportscasters  like to rush things.

@AuntG 

And all this hype for the JETS JETS JETS....the media needs to remember, hey folks this IS the Jets that havent been relevant since Joe Namath back in 1968....Namath who is now known for his Medicare commercials....😄

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman @teganslaw 

Rivera said that Carson will defintely play in the pre-season game against the Panthers...Riveras old team.

An interesting question was asked "Who Is The Face Of Washington's Team?"

Carson is a new comer, Chase is coming off an injury, Jon Allen a possibility, they even listed Punter Tress Way..But so far fans voted for Terry..thats who I voted for😁 My other guy, Tress Way got 9 votes 😄

Ryan Kerrigan said he's interested in coaching so he's been sticking around practice working with the defense.....

FZhG4T7WIAUAHBF.jpg

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

I already heard a Super Bowl pick (the Bills). Some of those sportscasters  like to rush things.

@AuntG 

And all this hype for the JETS JETS JETS....the media needs to remember, hey folks this IS the Jets that havent been relevant since Joe Namath back in 1968....Namath who is now known for his Medicare commercials....😄

The Jets will be better, but the AFC East is tough. The Bills and Dolphins should both be very good. The Patriots are always good. The Jets could be much better and still finish fourth in the east.

I think the NYC sports media just wants a team they can be positive about. Brian Daboll made it clear to the media the other day that it won't be the Giants. They're in year one of what will be a three to five year rebuild.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

@AuntG 

The Jets will be better, but the AFC East is tough. The Bills and Dolphins should both be very good. The Patriots are always good. The Jets could be much better and still finish fourth in the east.

I think the NYC sports media just wants a team they can be positive about. Brian Daboll made it clear to the media the other day that it won't be the Giants. They're in year one of what will be a three to five year rebuild.

@gardenman 

Yep, its just the TV market the Jets are in....And yes, the Jets will be better but thats a tough road to climb with all those tough talent stacked teams in the AFC ...................

Tough year for my sis and her team, those Giants....and bad news that they lost their rookie, Olineman, McKethan for the season....And they also lost a safety , Belton, with a broken collar bone...

Esteemed Contributor

Every year football seems to lose players in training camp.  In earlier posts Gardenman has listed the reasons he thinks that is happening, but I guess things haven't changed much. The Giants and Bears are two teams who have had bad luck.

@Spurt , I've been reading that Wentz is struggling in training camp. Is this true or are the articles exaggerating? There has been so much negativity about Wentz that I don't know what to believe anymore. Some writers seem to dislike him no matter what. 

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw wrote:

Every year football seems to lose players in training camp.  In earlier posts Gardenman has listed the reasons he thinks that is happening, but I guess things haven't changed much. The Giants and Bears are two teams who have had bad luck.

@Spurt , I've been reading that Wentz is struggling in training camp. Is this true or are the articles exaggerating? There has been so much negativity about Wentz that I don't know what to believe anymore. Some writers seem to dislike him no matter what. 

@teganslaw 

Yep, @gardenman is spot on about the injuries.....

From what I'm reading Wentz's performances have been a mixed bag---yes he's been inaccurate on some throws (too far in front or over player's head)  but then he will make a spectacular throw---and coaches and fans have been impressed with his arm strength, part of problem is continuing to develop a rhythm with receivers and learning a brand new offense---And remember Terry was out and even missed mini camp, and practices while he worked out his contract extension, a couple of players were pulled due to hamstrings...and OC Turner is putting in plays to throw more to the RBs, then some starters have been in and out and used cautiously that are recovering from last year's injuries.....Terry said that he, Dotson, and Wentz are going to be working out even more after practice to keep working on timing......Rivera said he's not concerned afterall Wentz is in a new system and adjusting to new players ---protection, timing etc etc 

Fans gave a nice round of applause to players as they came onto the practice field including Wentz...the only one that was booed was DC Del Rio who made those political remarks and was fined.....SMH!

Honored Contributor

Quarterback accuracy is tough to judge. "The quarterback overthrew the receiver!" Or did the receiver cut the route short and make it look like the QB overthrew him? "The QB underthrew the receiver!"  Or did the receiver run the route long and make the QB look bad?

If you give any NFL-level QB a stationary target at a known range, they'll hit it nine times out of ten. (Or more.) Hitting a moving target is much more of a challenge though and especially when you don't know exactly where that target will be.

In the West Coast offense, routes are designed to be run precisely. The receiver is expected to be in this spot at this time. That's when and where the QB will throw the ball. If the WR isn't there, the QB looks bad even though he did everything perfectly. It's a timing and rhythm offense. If the timing is off, if the route isn't run precisely, then the QB looks bad. 

Defensive coaches know how to disrupt the timing and rhythm of West Coast offense and put defenders in the lanes where a receiver has to run. They'll bump the receiver at the line to try and throw off the timing. They know if they can disrupt the rhythm and timing just a bit, it makes the offense sputter. 

Things happen fast on a football field. A fast receiver is covering ten yards in a little over a second. If the timing gets disrupted by a tenth of a second or more, then the QB will look inaccurate as the ball will be behind or too far in front of the receiver. If the receiver has to cut a route short or run it long due to a defender being in his lane, the ball will appear underthrown or overthrown. The QB may be throwing the ball exactly where it's supposed to be when it's supposed to be there, but if the receiver isn't there the QB takes the blame.

The Giants will be interesting to watch this year as they've decided to let their receivers freelance. (Or so they said in the earlier OTAs. They may have had a change of heart about that.) I don't care how good your QB is, if he doesn't know where the receivers will be, he's going to look bad. The Giants apparently had decided to let the receivers do whatever they want as long as they got open. They might as well just kill Daniel Jones now if that's how they're planning to run the offense this year. If the QB has no idea where a receiver will be, he's doomed.

The Eagles had a good practice last night. AJ Brown continues to impress everyone who sees him. He's big, fast, and tough. Jalen Hurts had fun running through the defense last night as the Eagles threw more RPOs into the mix. The defense had looked very good all through camp and Hurts had them spinning in circles last night. Everyone says he looks faster than before. 

Our first preseason game is Friday, so we'll see how things go then. I don't think we'll see much of the starters.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Colts final day of practice: Stephon Gilmore was a star. He was running routes and making plays. 

Isaiah Rodgers looked good as well as Kwity Paye. 

The offense was sloppy the last day. Ryan was 9-14 with passes, along with dropped balls from some receivers. The QB and receivers couldn't get on the same page. Jonathon Taylor got into the endzone a couple times. Overall, defense was good, offense was off, and TEs need some more work. 

Matt Rhule is being criticized. Rishard Higgins scored a touchdown and celebrated in the endzone. Rhule didn't like the celebration and made the players run drills as punishment. A sportswriter mentioned that Rhule should be given some slack because with the Panthers' record, he's not used to seeing many touchdowns. Woman LOL

Mark Twain