Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for August 2020!!!

False positive tests are going to be a big issue. They're occurring a lot, and can really play havoc. I think some labs may be having contamination issues. The PCR testing looks for tiny amounts of DNA/RNA and then multiplies it multiple times, so even just a little contamination can be a big problem. With sports gambling now legal, a lab tech who wanted to make some easy money could, in theory, contaminate multiple samples from one team and have half the team in isolation and off the field. A bet made before the positive tests were known could earn a tech a lot of cash.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

False positive tests are going to be a big issue. They're occurring a lot, and can really play havoc. I think some labs may be having contamination issues. The PCR testing looks for tiny amounts of DNA/RNA and then multiplies it multiple times, so even just a little contamination can be a big problem. With sports gambling now legal, a lab tech who wanted to make some easy money could, in theory, contaminate multiple samples from one team and have half the team in isolation and off the field. A bet made before the positive tests were known could earn a tech a lot of cash.

@gardenman 

WOW! You bring up some excellent points ....there could end up being a lot of corruption going on behind the scenes.... especially if someone can make a lot of money on the side....😮  And if I was the competition I would hire someone to keep a close eye on the Patriots!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

@gardenman 

WOW! You bring up some excellent points ....there could end up being a lot of corruption going on behind the scenes.... especially if someone can make a lot of money on the side....😮  And if I was the competition I would hire someone to keep a close eye on the Patriots!

Yeah, there's potential for all kinds of chaos if the lab knows which tests they're handling. Contaminate ten tests for a team and get false positives with those guys forced to sit and the odds of that team winning go way down. It'll be an interesting scenario to keep an eye on.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

I don't think there is going to be anything "Super" about the

Super bowl this season - if there is even a game.

May come down to the last two healthiest teams rather than the last two best teams.

If Texans can stay virus free, could be their year to sneak in and get that first ring.

Honored Contributor

New WR Coach Hostler wants to see more out of Terry McLaurin. Hostler made it clear that McLaurin will be their No.1 receiver moving forward, but he wants to see McLaurin grow in the new challenge. He wants McLaurin to expand his route tree and be more comfortable with moving around the field. "For him to keep growing, the ability for him to move around, expand his route tree, challenge defenders inside and out," he said, "that is where the growth is going to happen and that is where he needs to grow."

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

Terry McLaurin is probably the best receiver on Washington team. He should get the most snaps.

Cynthia Frelund listed all teams in order of their RB strength. She uses computer models and analytics to determine this. The top five teams are: 

1. Cleveland

2. Baltimore

3. Indianapolis

4 San Francisco

5. New Orleans

I was surprised at this list. I didn't think the Colts would be so high. BTW, Dallas is #12  and NYG #9.  Philadelpha, #22, Washington #32. I don't know the details on what statistics Frelund used, but there has to be a number of issues.

The deadline for opting out has closed, and 66 total have done so. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

The RB strength by Cynthia Frelund is a bit odd. You could make a reasonable argument that the Redskins have the most talent at RB with Adrian Peterson, Guice, and Bryce Love. If healthy, the big if, they're as good and deep as any team in the league.

Terry McLaurin made his money last year by just running by guys. Teams figure that out pretty quickly and can shut it down. On his deep catches against the Eagles last year, our safety bit on the eye candy routes in front of them and left him alone against a slower corner. They made it too easy for him. Assuming teams learned from last year's mistakes, he'll need more balance this year to be successful.

Only one Eagle opted out and that was Marquise Goodwin the wide receiver. It was probably a smart tactical move for him. He was iffy on making the roster with DeSean Jackson, Alshon Jeffery, JJ Arcega-Whiteside, Jalen Reagor, Greg Ward, all ahead of him and two more drafted kids in Hightower and Quez Watkins along with some undrafted guys and guys from last year's practice squad. The salary cap situation makes it very unlikely DeSean or Alshon will be back next year at their current salaries, so he could default into the solid veteran role next year. Goodwin's big asset is speed, but the kids are really fast also. I'm not sure he'd have made the roster this year, but next year might be a better shot for him.

The Eagles defensive backs seem pretty happy with new DB coach Marquand Manuel and Darius Slay coming to Philly. They want opposing teams to fear them as much as they fear the Eagles defensive line. That hasn't been the case in recent years. Communication breakdowns and a lack of discipline made the DB play look substandard.

It'll be interesting to see how Ronald Darby plays at cornerback for the WFTs. When the Eagles played the Redskins last year the Redskins targeted Darby in both games and had success against him. You don't typically see teams sign a guy they picked on as a free agent. Did they see correctible flaws in his play that they think they can fix? Were they just desperate for a guy? We'll have to see what happens there. When I rewatched those games, it was obvious they were targeting Darby. You don't generally sign a guy you picked on.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman @teganslaw 

Cynthia is on a crusade with analytics.... 

All this analytic stuff came from MLB and Im not a fan ....the jury seems to be out whether it evens translates to the NFL....Look at Cleveland they are a real proponent of analytics, but has it really produced results for their team yet????....and the talent is there too....

And its based on last year's statistics!!! Are they even  still relevant with FA moves, coaching changes, has competition within the Division gotten stronger or weaker....what about health???? You can plug all the stats you want into a computer but there's other factors to consider too....If the WFT RBs can stay healthy the RB position looks STRONG certainly NOT last in the NFL?!?!?!?!?!?......Im not saying this just because my team is listed LAST (y'all know Im a realistic fan).....its just if players are injured of course they arent going to generate much data to work with in the stat department....and no consideration for new coaches, new schemes either in her data!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw  @gardenman 

Here's an interesting observation someone made, NONE of the NFL QBS opted out.....Im sure all the defensive players are saying....that proves it....no one can come near QBs anymore (social distancing has certainly been adhered to even before the pandemic Smiley Wink )

Honored Contributor

If the WFT gets solid performance from any one of their top four RBs (Peterson, Guice, Love, McKissic) and their OC isn't a braindead moron, they should be a top fifteen, maybe top ten running team. Rivera's a defensive minded head coach and those guys love to run the ball. It's easier to find run blocking o-linemen than pass blockers. They've got Haskins as an unproven passer, and somewhat iffy wide receivers with God only knows who at tight end. They'll be looking to run the ball a lot in 2020. The Titans proved you can still run and win in the NFL last year. Unless the WFT fall way behind early, they'll be running a lot this year.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!