Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for August 2017!!!

A busy day in the NFL. The Bills made a couple of big moves. They traded away Sammy Watkins and a sixth round pick to the Rams and got back a second round pick nad cornerback EJ Gaines. They then traded their best corner, Ronald Darby, to the Eagles for a third round pick and Jordan Matthews. That helps to thin out the jumble of wide receivers in Philly and gives us a quality starting corner for a guy we likely couldn't resign at the end of the year anyway. Not a bad move. Darby has two years left on his deal. Reportedly this has been talked about since before the draft and on the back burner. Guys like Bryce Treggs and Shelton "oops I dropped it" Gibson have a better shot at staying on the Eagles roster now. We've got a ton of depth at wide receiver, so we could afford to lose Matthews. Giving up that third round pick will hurt a bit, but you've got to give something to get something.

The Bills look to be in rebuilding mode right now. They're stockpiling picks (two ones, two twos and now two threes) in next year's draft. Care to bet they're looking to make a move up to get a  new QB?

Jerry Jones is reportedly not happy with the NFL. He may get even less happy. Reportedly the six game suspension is for just that first domestic violence offense and doesn't incude his later actions. (Pulling open the blouse of the woman, speeding, bar fight, etc.) It's possible the league could tack on more suspensions depending on the outcome of those investigations.

Sammy Watkins to the Rams gives Jared Goff a legitmate home run hitter. Sammy's been dinged much of his time in Buffalo. If he can stay healthy, he's an AJ Green type of receiver. It looks like the Rams and Eagles are trying to surround their quarterbacks with as much talent as possible.

Getting Darby lets the Eagles relax a bit more at cornerback. That was the scary part of the defense and it just got a whole lot better.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Not surprisingly, Ryan Tannehill is going ahead with the ACL reconstruction surgery and is gone for the year. The stem cells and giving it time to heal approach did not work out so well for him. While it's likely the tear healed from the stem cells, the ACL was likely stretched out too far to provide the stability he needs. He had a healthy ACL, but it was no longer the shape it needed to be.

Joe Flacco will now sit out the full preseason slate of games and supposedly be ready for the regular season. My money would be on him missing a fair number of games this year and likely not finishing the season. Back injuries are never fun and with the pounding an NFL quarterback takes, and with cold weather coming, I just don't see him holding up. Maybe he can, but there are very few NFL quarterbacks playing with a bad back.

LeSean McCoy, the Bills runningback, wasn't exactly warm and friendly towards Jordan Matthews joining the Bills. The two played together in Philly in 2014, but McCoy made it clear in an interview that he'd far rather have Sammy Watkins over Jordan Matthews. "If you compare the two, it's obvious you can agree who is better." Okay then. So much for that freindly face in the Bills locker room. 

The Eagles on the other hand are dusting off the welcome mat for Ronald Darby. They're very happy to have him on the team. If Darby can perform at the level he did in his rookie seaosn, he'll be a keeper for the Eagles. Finding high quality cornerbacks is challenging and the Eagles have loaded up on a bunch of young ones now. If those guys pan out, the Eagles should be set for quite a few years.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

It looks like Tampa has learned a valuable, though expensive, lesson on not using a high draft pick on a kicker. They've now released Roberto Aguayo. He was the guy they traded up in the second round for last year to draft. They were convinced he'd be their reliable kicker for the next ten years. They were wrong. They're smart to bite the bullet and move on however. An unreliable kicker can just kill a team.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

I so agree with gardenman about the importance of having a reliable kicker. Tampa did the right thing.

My all-time favorite kicker was Mark Moseley back when he was with the Redskins in the late 1970s into the mid 1980s. He was so, so good!  

And one other note about a kicker...Justin Tucker, the kicker for the Ravens, has a really beautiful operatic voice! On Sunday Night Football last year they played a clip of Tucker singing "Ave Maria" and it was amazing! Both Cris Collingsworth and Al Michaels were shocked! 

Honored Contributor

@yellowBeetle wrote:

I so agree with gardenman about the importance of having a reliable kicker. Tampa did the right thing.

My all-time favorite kicker was Mark Moseley back when he was with the Redskins in the late 1970s into the mid 1980s. He was so, so good!  

And one other note about a kicker...Justin Tucker, the kicker for the Ravens, has a really beautiful operatic voice! On Sunday Night Football last year they played a clip of Tucker singing "Ave Maria" and it was amazing! Both Cris Collingsworth and Al Michaels were shocked! 

@yellowBeetle

Oh the memories.............MARK MOSELEY!!!  He was a good kicker and had a bit of a feisty personality too.............Heart

Yes the Raven's Justin Tucker has an AWESOME voice, our resident Raven fan, @sunshine45  posted a video of him singing last year and it was wonderful---such a talented guy! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well the Cowboys didnt look so good in their pre-season game either...........let's see the Redskins scored 3, Eagles 9, Cowboys 10, and Giants 12......  It looks like everyone in the NFC East  better hope and pray their starting QBs and WRs dont go down .with an injury........Even the BROWNS scored 20!!!

The Cowboys rested their starters but they better pray Dak stays healthy, not very impressed with their backups either QB or RB or WR..............

Well JJ's little brother, TJ, is off to a good start! 

Im glad the 49ers QB Barkley had a good showing, so they stick with him and move away from thinking about Cousins.....although Cousins better play better or the Redskins may not want to keep him at all....still he was only in for 2 series---STILL!!

Oh well, we will get a better feel for how teams are doing with the "dress rehearsal" 3rd preseason game...................

At least we get to see some NFL games today---YAY!!!  Lions/Colts and Seahawks/Chargers----

@teganslaw   I know the Colts won't be playing Andrew, but is th plan to rest most of the team's starters today?  

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

Final score: Detroit -24, Indy 10.  The Colts need to work more on their offense. They only had one 3rd down conversion the whole game (until they scored a touchdown on the final play.) 

Too many penalties! They had some nice drives that were called back because of penalties. That can't keep happening.

On the defense side, Safety T.J. Greene had some nice plays. He just came back from the injury list, and looked good. Hope he can stay healthy. 

Vontae Davis played a quarter, and Vinatieri played, otherwise it was all rookies. Good thing it's preseason. Maybe the team can get it together in a few weeks. 

Detroit back up quarterback, Rudock, did a good job. 

Next week Indy goes to Dallas. That should be interesting, considering neither team impressed this week. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Trusted Contributor

Dallas game wasn't exactly exciting, but heck it's preseason, time to look for

those diamonds in the rough. And I saw a few players that sparkled.  We just

need to see if they can sparkle when playing against the first strings.

Rico Gathers is a fun player to watch as is Taco.  My mind is drawing a blank

with other names that impressed.

Backup QB Moore is not impressing me at all. He looks uncomfortable.

Maybe the Rams defense was confusing him, I don't know.

Rush is the QB to watch. He looks much more in control than Moore.

I think if he had been the starter, Dallas would

had scored more points. 

Nice to see Ware in the Dallas booth.  I noticed he wasn't wearing his Denver superbowl ring.

On purpose???  I think so.  Classy move although it wouldn't had bothered

me to see him flashing it.  I'm happy for him.

Honored Contributor

The Bears claimed Roberto Aguayo off of waivers. I'm kind of surprised by that. He's been extremely inconsistent as a kicker and kicking in Chicago is not easy.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@yellowrose wrote:

Dallas game wasn't exactly exciting, but heck it's preseason, time to look for

those diamonds in the rough. And I saw a few players that sparkled.  We just

need to see if they can sparkle when playing against the first strings.

Rico Gathers is a fun player to watch as is Taco.  My mind is drawing a blank

with other names that impressed.

Backup QB Moore is not impressing me at all. He looks uncomfortable.

Maybe the Rams defense was confusing him, I don't know.

Rush is the QB to watch. He looks much more in control than Moore.

I think if he had been the starter, Dallas would

had scored more points. 

Nice to see Ware in the Dallas booth.  I noticed he wasn't wearing his Denver superbowl ring.

On purpose???  I think so.  Classy move although it wouldn't had bothered

me to see him flashing it.  I'm happy for him.

@yellowrose

I think Rush was the better QB too!  They talked about Taco a lot.........

We got the Dallas broadcast for the game here .....I think its kinda funny that Babe (the game analyst) played for the Redskins 1983-85, and then back again in 1987....and then went to the Cowboys in 1989.- 90 and then ended up as a local network analyst for the Cowboys............(he did play for the Chargers, Saints, and Chiefs too)...................