Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for August 2017!!!

@Spurt wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

Uh oh! Ryan Tannehill left Dolphins practice with a no contact leg injury. That's typically either an ACL or Achilles, either of which would end his season. That may get Kaepernick another phone call. Tannehill is coming back from a torn ACL and is wearing a brace on his left knee. 

@gardenman

Poor Dolphins...............  RGIII is still available too...............

They're now saying there's no damage to the knee, which is good, but Tannehill wants a second opinion, which is odd. "You're fine!" 

"I want a second opinion."

I kind of get the impression Tannehill thinks the knee feels wrong and how it feels is typically a bigger indicator of a problem than how it looks on an exam. He had the partial tear last year and opted for stem cell injections to try and heal the tear rather than have it repaired surgically. I get the impression he thinks something is wrong now. We'll have to see what develops, but most players don't want a second opinion when they're told they're fine.

I kind of suspect his knee feels loose. If I was betting I'd bet that partial tear lengthened the ACL and even if it's 'healed' it's longer/looser than before and feels unstable to him. I'd almost bet that he'll get it surgically fixed in the off season to tighten the knee up again.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

The Cardinals looked good on that first drive. The Cowboys defensive backs, not so good. They allowed three passes for fifty seven yards. Not ideal.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

It was good to see the Cardinals come out and play with some emotion and passion last night. They looked like they wanted to play football which is a big improvement over last year.

Dallas ended up winning, but there should be concern in Dallas over how Blaine Gabbert was able to carve up their secondary (11-14 for 185 yards.) 

Watching that Cowboys secondary each week through the preseason will be interesting. They'd better improve each week or the Cowboys could have to score a ton of points each week to win. Little to no real pass rush and a porous secondary in a passing league is a recipe for disaster. That Cowboy offense can score a lot of points, but they may have to score a lot of points until the defense finds its footing.

The big fear in Dallas should be if there's enough talent in that back half of the Cowboy defense. If the talent isn't there, they could be in for a long season. Scheme can only do so much. You still need talented players to execute the scheme and the Cowboys let a lot of pretty talented guys leave this offseason. That Cowboys secondary will need to improve on last night's performance each week.

You can get by with a lesser secondary if you've got a vicious pass rush, but the Cowboys don't. Giving any quarterback four or five seconds in an undisturbed pocket gives the offense a huge advantage. That was Blaine Gabbert picking them apart last night. In five weeks they'll be going againt Eli Manning and Odell Beckham Junior and the rest of the Giants receivers. They need to have that defensive backfield come together and find a pass rush before that game or it could get ugly.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A couple of notes from Redskins camp---

In a spirited two-minute drill, the offense moved the ball to the 6-yard line with 20 seconds left on the clock. The defense applied pressure on quarterback Kirk Cousins, who then forced a pass over the middle that was tipped. Corner Josh Norman then made a diving interception as the defense celebrated.

"Mr. 24 million, up top!" A fan shouted that to quarterback Kirk Cousins after a throw underneath in a seven-on-seven drill. Cousins smiled at him. On the next play, Cousins connected deep to receiver Terrelle Pryor, drawing great applause. Cousins then sprinted over to the fan and slapped hands with him several times hard. And that fired up the crowd even more.

@teganslaw

I keep hearing real concern over Andrew's shoulder, so what's the deal?  Is it fake news or are the Colts just being cautious?   I heard the Colts are making some adjustments on the O line to protect the QB and in particular they've zeroed in on this becautse the Colts go against JJ Watt twice a year....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

It was good to see the Cardinals come out and play with some emotion and passion last night. They looked like they wanted to play football which is a big improvement over last year.

Dallas ended up winning, but there should be concern in Dallas over how Blaine Gabbert was able to carve up their secondary (11-14 for 185 yards.) 

Watching that Cowboys secondary each week through the preseason will be interesting. They'd better improve each week or the Cowboys could have to score a ton of points each week to win. Little to no real pass rush and a porous secondary in a passing league is a recipe for disaster. That Cowboy offense can score a lot of points, but they may have to score a lot of points until the defense finds its footing.

The big fear in Dallas should be if there's enough talent in that back half of the Cowboy defense. If the talent isn't there, they could be in for a long season. Scheme can only do so much. You still need talented players to execute the scheme and the Cowboys let a lot of pretty talented guys leave this offseason. That Cowboys secondary will need to improve on last night's performance each week.

You can get by with a lesser secondary if you've got a vicious pass rush, but the Cowboys don't. Giving any quarterback four or five seconds in an undisturbed pocket gives the offense a huge advantage. That was Blaine Gabbert picking them apart last night. In five weeks they'll be going againt Eli Manning and Odell Beckham Junior and the rest of the Giants receivers. They need to have that defensive backfield come together and find a pass rush before that game or it could get ugly.

@gardenman

Well Trevor was dealt bad field position, and/or the coach called a lot of running plays while he was in......but he did show his mobility and had a couple of good passes........

Interesting game and I think the Cowboys are going to be in trouble defensively.......Anyone else find it odd what Jerry said about the Zeke investigation --- the league isn't investigating the domestic violence incident---instead its the other occurrences.....but more and more looks like the consensus appears to be 2 game suspensions for conduct determential to the league............it couldve been 6 games for domestic violence...........We'll see....they said perhaps decision will be reached next week...........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@yellowrose wrote:

Will be putting out my full size flags today This year I'm adding

in spotlights and blue string lights. Got 3 new garden flags

to place here and there. Won't mention my other Cowboy

decor - you all may think I'm nuts.  LOL

@yellowrose

There is no shame in having team memorabilia/decor!  I don't think your nuts, I do question your choice of teams though --your better than that "all suspension team" -Woman Wink Woman LOL

I dont have a lot of Redskins stuff---a Redskin mascot, a Redskin Beanie Baby, a Redskin penant and someone gave me Redskin salt and pepper shakers for Christmas, and a Redskin thermo mug and some coffee mugs.................

Esteemed Contributor

Pagano has said that Luck is making progress and doing well, no more details. There are "rumblings" that Luck could start the regular season on the PUP list. If that happens, he coud miss up to the first six games. But that's not official, and the Colts aren't saying for sure. I'm thinking that Luck's health is a day to day thing, no one knows anything for sure, and they don't want to get anyone's hopes up.  It's been reported that the Colts have confidence in Tolzien, so who knows what is going on? 

On the positive side: Vontae Davis is having one of the best training camps ever. ILB Antonio Morrison (who had an off year last season), looks to be improving  and could be in line as a starter. 

Marlon Mack hasn't practiced much, but the Colts like what they've seen. Mack would be the third running back behind Gore and Turbin. 

Yelowrose: nothing wrong with having Cowboy decor.  It shows your team pride. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Trusted Contributor

WHEW....thank goodness for preseason.  Gives me time to work up to sitting

in front of the TV for so many hours. And last night was just a 3 hour preview -

another few weeks and those hours will triple on a Sunday.

BTW, LOVE my new TV.  I feel as if I could walk right into the screen.  Maybe

that's on the horizon for the future of technology.  Smiley Happy

As for the game, no, the Dallas defense wasn't good, but I expected that.

We still pulled out a win.  No need to hit the panic button, we'll get it 

together and be fine.

thanks tegan, I certaintly do have team pride, as I'm sure we all do.

Happy Weekend Everyone!

Honored Contributor

Jay Cutler may be unretiring and becoming a Dolphin. It's looking more and more like Tannehill may need ACL  surgery. My suspicion is that his partial tear lengthened his ACL and while the stem cells filled in the damaged parts, they didn't shrink it back to the pre-tear size. The tear got filled in, but the ligament was now too loose even though it was fixed.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@yellowrose wrote:

WHEW....thank goodness for preseason.  Gives me time to work up to sitting

in front of the TV for so many hours. And last night was just a 3 hour preview -

another few weeks and those hours will triple on a Sunday.

BTW, LOVE my new TV.  I feel as if I could walk right into the screen.  Maybe

that's on the horizon for the future of technology.  Smiley Happy

As for the game, no, the Dallas defense wasn't good, but I expected that.

We still pulled out a win.  No need to hit the panic button, we'll get it 

together and be fine.

thanks tegan, I certaintly do have team pride, as I'm sure we all do.

Happy Weekend Everyone!

@yellowrose

I'm glad that you enjoyed the game on your new TV---Woman Very Happy