Esteemed Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for August 2015!!!!

Robert Mathis and OL Donald Thomas have both been placed on PUP list during spring training. Mathis has been coming well with his rehab, but according to Pagano, they're taking his health day to day. Mathis' achilles injury was bad, and Pagano doesn't want to rush into anything that could possibly reinjure Mathis. It's not clear when Mathis will be ready to play; hopefully, when the season starts. In the meantime, Pagano isn't taking any chances.

Thomas hasn't played for awhile because of injury, but not sure how things are going with him.

Frank Gore and Andre Johnson have looked good in practice.

The Colts are working on a contract extention for T.Y. Hilton. He is in the final year of his rookie contract, and there is a lot of speculation on what will happen. The drafting of WR Phillip Dorsett has made some fans wonder if he will replace Hilton. I don't think the Colts want to let Hilton go; he has been one of their best players. But anything can happen in the NFL, so waiting to see how Hilton's contract works out.

SPURT, have you or your sister seen the DirecTV commercial with "bad comedian" Eli Manning? Another DirecTV commercial features Tony Romo as "arts and craftsy" Tony Romo, and Andrew Luck playing "hide and seek" with cats while advertising NFL Sunday Ticket. I find all those commercials entertaining.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@redwingsgal wrote:

Wasn't  Chip known for his temper in college??  I could be mistaken, but seems like I remember him blowing up on the sidelines and at practice.  And that was college kids. 

Correct me if I am wrong

About the only time I've heard of Chip blowing up in college was the year his kids got themselves into all kinds of trouble. His starting quarterback (Massoli?) got kicked off the team for some infraction then Chip laid down the law and was as angry as any of his players had ever seen him. Then, of course, Kiko Alonso got in trouble right after that. Suffice to say the team saw a new level of heat from Chip after that, as Kiko then got shelved. Now, several of the guys who felt Kelly's wrath (Kiko, Josh Huff and others) love him and are thrilled to play for him.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

SPURT. The Chip Kelly stuff is all BS in my opinion. Players around the league are generally very, very willing to come and play under him. DeMarco Murray took less money to come to Philly. Ryan Matthews also ignored other offers to sign here.

I laughed when DeSean Jackson said he couldn't be covered. If you give him a free release, he's a tough guy to cover, but if you get your hands on him at the line of scrimmage, he's mediocre at best. Disrupt him at the line of scrimmage and DeSean is very, very likely to quit his route.

I have to assume the Giants are close with Eli. With Russell Wilson and Cam Newton getting deals done, the framework should be there for a deal for Eli.

The Eagles are reportedly working on a short-term extension for Sam Bradford. If they sign him, expect it to be a one to two year extension for around $15 million a year with incentives.

@gardenman  Hey GARDEMAN, I knew you would get a kick out of DeSean's comment .....LOL, maybe that's why Gruden said that they were going to feature Pierre Garcon more....LOL!!!! 

That stuff about Chip sounds like the media is trying to create a controversey that isn't there......kinda like what the Washington Post does with Dan Snyder and the Redskins.......

I heard about the Sam Bradford contract extension on Mike and Mike---Greenberg & Cris Carter thought that was a good thing for the Eagles to do!!!!  Sam just needs to stay on the field.......

I was glad my favorite Redskins, Ryan Kerrigan, got a contract extension.....I wonder if he also got an extension to appear in the next Sharknado movie.....no one delivered their one line better than Kerrigan in the control room...LOL!!!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw wrote:

Robert Mathis and OL Donald Thomas have both been placed on PUP list during spring training. Mathis has been coming well with his rehab, but according to Pagano, they're taking his health day to day. Mathis' achilles injury was bad, and Pagano doesn't want to rush into anything that could possibly reinjure Mathis. It's not clear when Mathis will be ready to play; hopefully, when the season starts. In the meantime, Pagano isn't taking any chances.

Thomas hasn't played for awhile because of injury, but not sure how things are going with him.

Frank Gore and Andre Johnson have looked good in practice.

The Colts are working on a contract extention for T.Y. Hilton. He is in the final year of his rookie contract, and there is a lot of speculation on what will happen. The drafting of WR Phillip Dorsett has made some fans wonder if he will replace Hilton. I don't think the Colts want to let Hilton go; he has been one of their best players. But anything can happen in the NFL, so waiting to see how Hilton's contract works out.

SPURT, have you or your sister seen the DirecTV commercial with "bad comedian" Eli Manning? Another DirecTV commercial features Tony Romo as "arts and craftsy" Tony Romo, and Andrew Luck playing "hide and seek" with cats while advertising NFL Sunday Ticket. I find all those commercials entertaining.

@teganslaw  Hey TEGAN......When the Eli and the bad comedian tv spot came out I found a link to the commercial and emailed it to my sis.....she said she had seen it and what a fine "actor" is....LOL!!!!!!!   I haven't seen the Andrew Luck, nor even the Tony Romo commercials....DirectTV does a good job with their commercials and NFL players......I'm surprised I haven't seen the Tony Romo one, since my city is supposed to be "cowboy country"....Cat Frustrated.......Of course maybe my cable company is blocking those commericals since they don't want folks switch to Direc TV or gettng the Sunday Ticket......

I hope Mathis and Thomas are well and ready to go by the time the regular season starts......BTW who is your favorite Colt?  Is it Andrew?  Or someone else?

I didn't know my favorite Redskin, Ryan Kerrigan, is an Indiana boy, he's from Muncie.....he does funny local commercials too that the Redskin Blogs always post.......And the REAL commercials that are BIG HITS are the ones the Spurs do for a grocery store chain here....very funny!!!! 

I'm going to have to record the Hall Of Fame Induction ceremonies, since a friend is having a birthday and instead of celebrating during the week she wanted to wait until the weekend to celebrate....As much as I love the NFL, I do have my priorities, she's a good friend and has helped me out so many times, so I certainly want to be there to celebrate "another year closer to retirement" as she likes to put it.....Since I'm recording it, I can fast forward it if those speeches get a little too long....LOL!!!!!  But I will be watching that first preseason game Sunday----I don't care if it's only preseason---IT'S FOOTBALL!!!  Smiley Happy 

I'm working from home today and have the NFL Network on and they have Andrew Luck's press conference on....he always has such a nice smile......he seems happy....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Just some more info on Chip. There's a story out today featuring running back Kenjon Barner who played for Chip in Oregon and is trying to make the roster here.

When Kenjon was a freshman he was a bit of a mess. He skipped classes and wasn't very focused. He got a call one day while he was sleeping in rather than going to an early class and his adviser asked where he was as Chip Kelly had dropped by the class Kenjon was supposed to be in and wanted to know where Kenjon was. He got dressed and ran over to the class to find Chip waiting for him outside.

Chip sat him down and talked with him about what a great opportunity he had in getting a college education and how he'd hate to see him waste that opportunity. Kenyon wised up and got his degree and loves Chip. He says he doesn't understand why the guys who leave are saying the things they say, but he's adamant that Chip isn't racist or biased in any way other than wanting the best players (both in terms of talent and scheme fit) and he hasn't changed.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

SPURT, Andrew Luck is my favorite Colts player. I was a fan of him ever since he was drafted, and he has exceeded all expectations.

Several years ago, my favorite Colts players were Peyton Manning and Jeff Saturday. I still like Peyton, but couldn't abandon the Colts team because of one player. I'm glad to see Jeff Saturday doing well on ESPN.

Latest news is that Robert Mathis won't be ready to play until at least October. Then how effective will he be when he does return? Only time will tell.

I saw the DirecTV commercials on youtube. The only one I've seen on Dish Network was the Eli Manning commercial.

I might not watch the Hall of Fame ceremony, but will definitely watch the game.

SPURT, have fun at your friend's birthday party!

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

DeSean Jackson separated his shoulder today when he fell into a blocking sled after catching a pass. He'll likely be out two to three weeks, maybe more. It's kind of funny that the blocking sled was even near the field. On the video, as De Sean is lying there writhing in pain, a Redskins staffer comes over and moves the blocking sled out of the way. I'm guessing that should have been done earlier and the Redskins may now have an opening for a new equipment guy.

The Eagles lost Kilo Alonso to a concussion for a few days. He should be okay though. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Aldon Smith of the Niners just got cut after being arrested for another DUI, hit and run, and vandalism. No doubt the news has Jerry Jones racing to San Francisco to add Aldon to his collection of felons. The Cowboys look like they're trying to be the old Raiders and have snatched up every bad guy in the league. 

Aldon might even be too radioactive for JJ right now though. As long as they can keep JJ from watching Aldon on film, or talking to him or his agent, then the Cowboys might be able to avoid yet another felon. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

Typical Jerry Jones

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Honored Contributor

The first game of the 2015 pre-season kicks off tonight with the Steelers playing the Vikings. I'll be watching the Steelers defense to see how they're using Brandon Boykin who we traded to them last week. It'll be interesting to see if they're just using him as the slot corner or if they give him a chance on the outside. Boykin's wanted to start on the outside, but the Eagles were concerned about his size (reportedly 5' 10" but realistically more like 5' 8") against bigger receivers.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!