Trusted Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for April 2021!!!

@Spurt wrote:

@gardenman @yellowBeetle 

I think all NFC East fans should take the time to send a THANK YOU card to Jerry Jones for being the GM of the Cowboys......I think we all appreciate the decisions he makes for his team..😉..For example, despite all the holes on the Cowboys defense, Jerry has become "infatuated" with TE Kyle Pitts....and contemplating moving up to get him which might mean moving up to #5 or #4 which will carry a steep price.....SMH!!!!  Even the Cowboy fans are puzzled and are saying the team needs defense and needs to rebuild the o-line....And the Bengals sit at #5 and they maybe open for business....and if the Falcons arent interested in getting a QB this year, they could listen to offers too....

@Spurt 

Yes I heard that story too about Jerry being "infatuated" with TE Kyle Pitts! Former Cowboy Marcus Spears...who I love to watch on ESPN because he is so funny...said that he could understand a team wanting Pitts, who many say is one of the top draft prospects. But Spears emphatically and hilariously pointed out with lots of eye-rolling and shaking of his head, lol, how he thought Jerry was crazy! He said that Dallas  desperately needs help with their defense. He and others were talking about how several years ago Jerry became smitten with Johnny Manziel and had to be talked out of that draft move. But it will be interesting to see if Jerry gets his way.😉

Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

I was just reading that. JJ still has the vision of what his old Super Bowl teams were and is constantly trying to recreate that. Kyle Pitts becomes his new Jay Novacek/Jason Witten. He'd be a good addition to the Cowboys roster (or any roster for that matter) but offense isn't their issue. Defense is. Well, the lack of a defense to be more precise.

That defensive depth chart of theirs doesn't inspire confidence. Trevon Diggs may be their best overall defender right now. And he's kind of hot and cold. Demarcus Lawrence has not lived up to his new contract and he's their best defensive lineman. Kwity Paye could likely earn the starting job were the Cowboys to draft him. Linebacker is "interesting." Leighton Vander Esch, on the rare occasion he's not injured, can be a good player. Jaylon Smith has disappointed and the Cowboys openly speculated on replacing him this offseason. They're talking about sliding free agent Keanu Neal from safety to linebacker. That's not always the easiest transition to make.

Dan Quinn is their new defensive coordinator after being fired as head coach of the Falcons. A job he got largely due to his work in Seattle with the Legion of Boom. But did the Legion of Boom make Dan Quinn or did Dan Quinn make the Legion of Boom? You may have noticed that Atlanta's defense never reached the heights that Seattle's did. He had some great defensive players while in Seattle. He didn't have them in Atlanta. He doesn't have them in Dallas. Can he patch together an effective defense out of players who are borderline starters in the league? History says, probably not.

Give any coach Richard Sherman, Kam Chancellor, Earl Thomas, Byron Maxwell, and Brandon Browner in their prime and that coach is going to look pretty darn good. Dan Quinn doesn't exactly have those guys in Dallas. Heck, he doesn't have the quality of players he had while in Atlanta. They could add a few guys in the draft this year that could help. Or they could trade half their draft to get a tight end they don't really need. What to do? What to do?

I'm not sure Kyle Pitts gets past Atlanta right now. I kind of think they see him as the next Tony Gonzalez. If the Cowboys truly want him they have to offer enough for Atlanta to walk away. What could they offer? One of the four TEs (Jarwin, Schultz) they already have under contract? Maybe add in pending free agent Michael Gallup and next year's first? Is Pitts worth that? Eh, who knows?

I expect Atlanta to be listening to all kinds of offers for that fourth slot in the draft. It's very, very valuable. Some teams may want Ja'Marr Chase. Others might want Penei Sewell, QB to be named later, or another o-lineman.  

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Pete Schrager's 1.0 mock draft has the Falcons trading places with Patriots and NE taking Justin Fields. 

Eagles: Jaylen Waddle

WFT: Trevon Moehrig

Colts: Jaycee Horn 

In an unusual move he has the Bucs drafting QB Davis Mills. Does he know something no one else knows? Like Tom Brady maybe retiring in a year or so. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

Davis Mills is a Stanford player, and right or wrong, they're typically regarded as being smarter players. The second and third tier guys like Mills, Trask, Mond, and others, could end up being better than the top five in a year or two. Mac Jones played with top-tier talent around him. The same could be said for Justin Fields and Trevor Lawrence to some extent. Were they good because of the players around them, or did they elevate the players around them?

If you like Mills, Trask, Mond, or one of the other, grabbing them at the back of the first round gives you five years of control over them, while drafting them later only gives you four years. That fifth year team option on first-round picks is pretty important with quarterbacks. With guys now making $40 million or so a year, getting a cheaper kid for a fifth year can be smarter. You could see a couple of those guys get grabbed late.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

I'm still hearing lots of chatter about the Eagles hanging around outside of the Texans' offices with a basket full of first-round picks in the hope that the Texans opt to move on from DeShaun Watson. I'm not so sure how great of an idea that is. It's not like we're a great team that just needs a good QB. I'd rather roll with Hurts for a year or two and see what he does while we improve the supporting cast. We're not a Super Bowl team by just adding Watson.

We'll know about the apparent credibility of the claims against Watson in the very near future as the courts have ruled that they must refile and disclose their names or the cases will be dismissed. Their lawyer insists now he was planning to release their names anyway. (Yeah, sure he was. That's why he fought it in court.) Once the names go public we'll learn how many are truly licensed/trained massage therapists and how many are workers in "massage parlors" who make housecalls. My suspicion is way more are the latter. We'll see in the next few days as they refile using their real names.

It's "interesting" that they all chose to use the same lawyer. I'm fairly confident there are a few hundred/thousand lawyers in the Houston area who would gladly file a sexual assault claim against a multimillion-dollar athlete if there was a reasonable chance of victory, but all of these women chose the same guy. Why? It's an interesting question. There are over 75,000 lawyers in Texas with a decent number of them in Houston, yet every "victim" of DeShaun Watson's has chosen the same lawyer. Eh, okay. That's something of a big old red flag to me, but whatever.

Surely one or more of these professional massage therapists could find another attorney to represent her in her charges? Did all of the other attorneys in Houston say they didn't want their share of a likely multimillion-dollar settlement? Sure they did. Who needs that kind of money? Not a lawyer, that's for sure. Nope. They'll let good old Rusty have all of the money instead of trying to get their share. (Yeah, sure they would.) 

There are a whole lot of red flags in these charges that have me seriously doubting the credibility of the charges. We'll know more over the coming days as either the charges are dropped or the names get named. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman 

I heard that A&M's QB Mond or ND QB Trey Lance would be good later round QB picks to sit and learn and be "groomed" behind Fitzpatrick....(no pun intended 😄)

In a surprise move TE Thaddeus Moss (son of Randy) was released by the WFT..... fans were expecting good things from him this year, but it appears that his injury and also  better talent is available in this year's draft and the team made the decision to move on.....some analysts said he was not starting material and thats what the team needs!

Prime areas of need that keep coming up are ---

TE, LB, OL, FS, WR...depth at DE with Kerrigan likely to move on...and we need a LS...8 draft picks this year....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman @yellowBeetle 

I heard that rumor too about the Eagles and Watson....  and I agree with your analysis of Watson's "situation"...ITA, too many odd things going on with these court cases.....But would the Eagles really take a chance considering there could be forthcoming punishment and/or suspension by the NFL ???, And what would the backlash be from the vocal Philly fans if they made the move, especially considering today's "social culture"......

And you hit the nail on the head regarding Lawyers in Texas....you just have no idea....Lawyers from all over Texas rule our State TV and radio airwaves, even billboards and any other medium they can put their name on.....they are on practically every channel, national, and cable (the only channels they dont have commercials on are TCM and the Christian channels)...........Its just a plethora of these lawyers trying to add to their millions.....Woman Frustrated  Nice little paychecks too...they show the results of some of their successful cases and the legal beagles get half of the large settlements (3 mill on a 6 mill settlement, 2 mill is their share on another case, 4 million and so on).....So considering all the ads for lawyers in Texas, its interesting that all these "plantiffs" went to the same lawyer at the same time.....🤔 Then again, why did Watson even put himself in that situation in the first place......some NFL and broadcasting careers have been ruined with this sort of thing....but guys never learn...SMH!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

The Eagles fans aren't thrilled with the idea of getting Watson. Many are just blindly accepting that Watson is guilty. They don't see the red flags in this case that I see. And there are a lot of red flags in this case. Everyone using the same lawyer is a really big red flag. 

I'd prefer to ride with Hurts for a year or two and build a better roster around the QB. If Hurts succeeds, great. If not then we'll likely be drafting high for the foreseeable future and can get someone else. The Texans were only 4-12 last year so it's not like Watson lifted them to great heights. 

Putting himself into this position makes you kind of question his intelligence and judgment a bit. It's not hard to avoid situations like this. I'd prefer not to get him. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@yellowBeetle wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@gardenman @yellowBeetle 

I think all NFC East fans should take the time to send a THANK YOU card to Jerry Jones for being the GM of the Cowboys......I think we all appreciate the decisions he makes for his team..😉..For example, despite all the holes on the Cowboys defense, Jerry has become "infatuated" with TE Kyle Pitts....and contemplating moving up to get him which might mean moving up to #5 or #4 which will carry a steep price.....SMH!!!!  Even the Cowboy fans are puzzled and are saying the team needs defense and needs to rebuild the o-line....And the Bengals sit at #5 and they maybe open for business....and if the Falcons arent interested in getting a QB this year, they could listen to offers too....

@Spurt 

Yes I heard that story too about Jerry being "infatuated" with TE Kyle Pitts! Former Cowboy Marcus Spears...who I love to watch on ESPN because he is so funny...said that he could understand a team wanting Pitts, who many say is one of the top draft prospects. But Spears emphatically and hilariously pointed out with lots of eye-rolling and shaking of his head, lol, how he thought Jerry was crazy! He said that Dallas  desperately needs help with their defense. He and others were talking about how several years ago Jerry became smitten with Johnny Manziel and had to be talked out of that draft move. But it will be interesting to see if Jerry gets his way.😉

@yellowBeetle 

Oh what couldve been---If only Jerry hadn't listened to his son, Stephen and decided to draft Johnny Manziel....😄

Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@Spurt 

The Eagles fans aren't thrilled with the idea of getting Watson. Many are just blindly accepting that Watson is guilty. They don't see the red flags in this case that I see. And there are a lot of red flags in this case. Everyone using the same lawyer is a really big red flag. 

I'd prefer to ride with Hurts for a year or two and build a better roster around the QB. If Hurts succeeds, great. If not then we'll likely be drafting high for the foreseeable future and can get someone else. The Texans were only 4-12 last year so it's not like Watson lifted them to great heights. 

Putting himself into this position makes you kind of question his intelligence and judgment a bit. It's not hard to avoid situations like this. I'd prefer not to get him. 

@gardenman 

👍