Esteemed Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for April 2021!!!

Jim Schwartz has some kind of assistant work with the Titans, but no clear title. It's like a consultant a few days a week. That might change later. 

There still is no answer as to why Watson needed so many therapists. And it's never about the money. (like anyone believes that.) 

Why is Mac Jones now in the top 5 when earlier he was further down in the draft? Something must have happened from watching his tapes, since that is a dramatic change. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

I think Mac Jones' elevation is more due to teams being scared of Trey Lance's inexperience and Justin Fields coming from Ohio State. Granted, you pretty much have to go back to Joe Namath to find a QB from Alabama who went on to be a star in the NFL, but at least they have one. And then there's Tua and Hurts more recently who might still be good.

Ignoring the fact that Jones was surrounded by some world-class receivers while in college (two of whom will likely go in the top fifteen of this draft) and a lot of really good athletes, and that might have inflated his stats just the teensiest bit, might come back to bite the Niners. 

All QBs are a gamble in the draft. Last year every team was pining for Tua. The Dolphins got him and may already be looking to move on.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

If ESPN's Adam Schefter is correct, it seems that Kyle Shanahan really, really likes Mac Jones! It was Schefter who first put it out in the media that Shanahan had moved up to #3 to get Mac Jones. And there is a strong history between Schefter and the Shanahan family. They are very close friends from Schefter's days in Denver when Mike Shanahan was with the Broncos. Schefter wrote a book with Mike Shanahan..."Think Like a Champion"... that can be seen over Schefter's right shoulder in his TV appearances from his office! I have the book...my son picked it up for me in a "used book sale" a few years ago! It actually was a very good book about Mike Shanahan's philosophy on what it takes to succeed! (The book jacket is green with a picture of Mike Shanahan at the top of the spine!😉)

But some think it could be a trick by Schefter to mislead people into thinking Kyle wants Jones. However there really does not seem to be any reason or benefit in doing that.

Instead the thinking seems to be that Kyle Shanahan really likes pocket passers like Kirk Cousins and Matt Ryan. And of the five top QBs, only Mac Jones fits that style. So as some analyst said just this morning, it only takes one team to be interested in a player! Many in the NFL may be shaking their heads in disbelief at the idea of Mac Jones going at #3 before Justin Fields and Trey Lance! But if Kyle wants him, then that is all that matters!😉 

Honored Contributor

The Eagles woke up today and decided to sign a few more players. Running back Jordan Howard is back again as is Vikings linebacker Eric Wilson. A couple of low-cost, potentially high-return moves.

Nate Sudfeld has signed with the Niners to be their rookie QB tutor. A role I'd have rather have him serve in Philly than Flacco. He'll be a good tutor/mentor for whoever gets drafted third by the Niners.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

The Eagles' wide receivers are either going to love or hate Nick Sirianni. He sat down for a film session with one of the Eagle's media staffers and went into great detail on how he wants routes run. "No banana routes!" was a recurring theme. (A banana route is a route where the receiver basically just curves his way to the endpoint of the route instead of making a sharp cut.) Nick wants routes run exactly like they're drawn on the board. You go straight down the field then plant your foot and make a ninety-degree cut away from the defender and go.

In the West Coast/Doug Pederson style of offense, it doesn't truly matter how a route is run as long as the receiver is in the right place at the right time. The QB is throwing the ball to a specific spot at a specific time. The receiver's job is to simply be there at the right time, And that can work pretty well when everyone's on the same page. When you have no real practice time and every receiver gets injured, that tends to fail rather badly. A receiver could be a tenth of a second slow and the ball's too far out in front of them. They may arrive a tenth or two late and the ball's behind them. They may cut the route short and the ball's overthrown. They may run the route longer and the ball's underthrown. Some receivers get a bit lazy too and focus too much on just getting there and not on how they get there. Getting there with a defender draped all over you isn't good.

In Nick's system, the QB sees the receiver come open and then throws the ball. It's less timing and rhythm-based. It requires the receiver to be able to do his job though. There's less room for free-styling. They need to run a route in a very specific manner. Everything's set up to get a specific receiver open by using other receivers to clear out the area. If a defensive player doesn't follow the guy clearing out an area, then that guy's open and you get a big play down the field. It's very hard for a defense to cheat on a system like Nick's. But, and this is a big but, the receivers have to buy in. They have to run their routes right and not just go through the motions.

There's no more ending up in the right place at the right time. You still need that in general, but you also need to get there in the right manner. If the route calls for you to make a sharp ninety-degree cut at twelve yards, you make that sharp ninety-degree cut at twelve yards. Defenders are then reacting to what you do and they're going to be a tick slower. When you just arc your way (banana route) to where the ball should be, the defender just follows along and is in a position to make a play. 

It'll be fun to see how well the receivers buy into what Nick is selling. They need to start doing the right things in practice then carry that into games. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman @yellowBeetle @teganslaw

Well the Cowboys have signed a TE. It's none other than former WFT Jeremy Sprinkle. He brings his sub par blocking, stone cold hands and inability to recover fumbles to Frisco TX 😆😆😆
Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

Eagles WR Jalen Reagor was recently interviewed by the Bleacher Report's Adam Lefkoe and gave a glowing opinion of Eagles QB Jalen Hurts. Reagor said that Hurts is a natural-born leader who immediately took command of the team last season in those last four games. He said Hurts has an aura about him in the huddle that commands respect from the other players. He said Hurts was the same hard-worker both before he replaced Wentz and after. Reagor sounds really excited about the upcoming season.

And on ESPN's "Get Up" this morning they played some of the Reagor interview and had a panel discussion about Jalen Hurts. The unanimous projection from all four in the group was that Hurts will be a real success and will be the future franchise QB of the team. They think Hurts and Sirianni will surprise people this season and do much better than many are projecting. They acknowledged that the Eagles are in a rebuilding mode...but they said that they expect good things from the duo of Sirianni and Hurts!

Esteemed Contributor

Jeremy Sprinkle worked out for the Colts. I guess we dodged that one, glad that he didn't sign with Indy..  I read that he was involved in a shoplifting incident while in college and was suspended for awhile.

I would be surprised if Garoppolo stays with SF. The team now has Josh Rosen, Sudfeld and will be drafting another QB. It sounds like they plan on moving on from Jimmy G. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

Yeah, Jimmy G is a goner. It's just a question of to which team and at what price. They want a first for him, but I don't see that happening. My best guess would be a third this year with a conditional pick next year.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman @yellowBeetle 

I think all NFC East fans should take the time to send a THANK YOU card to Jerry Jones for being the GM of the Cowboys......I think we all appreciate the decisions he makes for his team..😉..For example, despite all the holes on the Cowboys defense, Jerry has become "infatuated" with TE Kyle Pitts....and contemplating moving up to get him which might mean moving up to #5 or #4 which will carry a steep price.....SMH!!!!  Even the Cowboy fans are puzzled and are saying the team needs defense and needs to rebuild the o-line....And the Bengals sit at #5 and they may be open for business....and if the Falcons arent interested in getting a QB this year, they could listen to offers too....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”