Trusted Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for April 2021!!!

@gardenman wrote:

Have fun exploring Philly. The historic district is pretty impressive. I had an old doc at Tenth and Chestnut so I was in that area fairly frequently. You've got the Betsy Ross house, Ben Franklin's house, Elfreth's Alley (which is featured in my novel "Annie's Gift.") Lancaster is pretty nice also. If you've got pets, That Pet Place in Lancaster should be added to your tour. It's one of the world's largest pet stores. If you venture a bit farther south into QVC territory you've got Longwood Gardens, Winterthur, Baldwin's Book Barn. (A used book store in an old barn. Very impressive place. Lot of cats to pet as you browse the books. A bit scary if you happen to be there in the middle of a bad thunderstorm as I was once.) And of course, QVC itself. There's lots of interesting stuff to see and do in the area. 

@gardenman 

Thanks so much! We have not been to That Pet Place in Lancaster but will be sure to check it out! Our cat "Mr. Whiskers" says to say thank you!😉 We love Winterthur, the nearby Nemours Estate and Hagley Museum, and Longwood Gardens. Baldwin's Book Barn is a fave of ours, too...but have not been there in a thunderstorm!😉 And we really enjoy the historic area in Philadelphia including the Betsy Ross house, etc. That is so interesting about your novel featuring Elfreth's Alley! We have lived here almost ten years and have driven by the enormous QVC complex but I never have taken the tour...and with Covid they probably are not giving them now. This is such a beautiful area and so rich in history! We love living here!!! And now we are on our way to Valley Forge!😉

Again, enjoy the draft...hopefully Howie will give us some great players!😊

Honored Contributor

@yellowBeetle wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

Have fun exploring Philly. The historic district is pretty impressive. I had an old doc at Tenth and Chestnut so I was in that area fairly frequently. You've got the Betsy Ross house, Ben Franklin's house, Elfreth's Alley (which is featured in my novel "Annie's Gift.") Lancaster is pretty nice also. If you've got pets, That Pet Place in Lancaster should be added to your tour. It's one of the world's largest pet stores. If you venture a bit farther south into QVC territory you've got Longwood Gardens, Winterthur, Baldwin's Book Barn. (A used book store in an old barn. Very impressive place. Lot of cats to pet as you browse the books. A bit scary if you happen to be there in the middle of a bad thunderstorm as I was once.) And of course, QVC itself. There's lots of interesting stuff to see and do in the area. 

@gardenman 

Thanks so much! We have not been to That Pet Place in Lancaster but will be sure to check it out! Our cat "Mr. Whiskers" says to say thank you!😉 We love Winterthur, the nearby Nemours Estate and Hagley Museum, and Longwood Gardens. Baldwin's Book Barn is a fave of ours, too...but have not been there in a thunderstorm!😉 And we really enjoy the historic area in Philadelphia including the Betsy Ross house, etc. That is so interesting about your novel featuring Elfreth's Alley! We have lived here almost ten years and have driven by the enormous QVC complex but I never have taken the tour...and with Covid they probably are not giving them now. This is such a beautiful area and so rich in history! We love living here!!! And now we are on our way to Valley Forge!😉

Again, enjoy the draft...hopefully Howie will give us some great players!😊

@yellowBeetle 

Say hello to Mr. Whiskers for me too.....😺

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@yellowBeetle wrote:

@gardenman @Spurt @teganslaw

This will likely be a slow week leading up to the draft with little "real" info being shared by any team. But that's OK as we only have to wait until Thursday night!!!😉

As to who the Eagles will draft, I have no idea with Howie at the helm!😉 But we have a gazillion picks, so hopefully we will get lots of help in the areas where we need it... which unfortunately is in every area!😉

So I had already decided to take a break from posting about football until fall once the draft was over...but I have decided to start my "away time" today! Here in the Philly area we are looking at a gorgeous stretch of days through Wednesday with temps climbing from the 60s to the 70s to the 80s by mid-week! My husband is going to take off from work for 3 days starting tomorrow...and beginning today we are going to play like we are "tourists"! With Covid we have not gone out to many places over the past year. But now we are both fully vaccinated, including the post 2-week waiting period. So we are going to wear our masks and still socially distance where necessary and visit some of the places we have missed...downtown Philly with Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, Museum of Art, etc.; Valley Forge Park; the Amish country up around Lancaster, PA; and our favorite Delaware beaches!😊

Enjoy the draft!!! See you in September!!!😊

@yellowBeetle 

ENJOY!!!! That sounds like fun playing "tourists"....My friends and I like to do that from time to time.... and of course, we have to check up on the OFFICIAL Alamo cat, Bella....

download (1).jpg

Playing with the official Davy Crockett hat in the gift shop....

𝓑𝓮𝓵𝓵𝓪 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓐𝓵𝓪𝓶𝓸 𝓒𝓪𝓽 🐈 on Twitter: "Playing with my Davy  Crock-cat hat! 👒😺You can buy your own (and a 2016 Fiesta medal) at the  Meowlamo gift shop. https://t.co/VuzmCsynQC"

The weather here is supposed to be 90 for a few days and then cool a little down to the 80's.....

@Spurt 

Thanks so much!! Hope the WFT makes some good draft picks!!😊 

And hopefully Rivera will keep Danny Boy from meddling too much!!😉

See you in the falll!😊

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well the WFT made a good decision last year when they cut Derrius Guice after the August 2020 assualt ....and now there's more incidents that have come to light....He's been stricken from LSU's record books and barred from all LSU's athletic programs...

Ya never know about people...he seemed like a nice young man, he stayed away from from drugs and alcohol despite coming from a rough neighborhood, treated fans to the movies, bought his mom a car......Yet, there were rumors about his character during the draft process, now we know they were true...Sounds like he has serious mental issues and hope he gets some help. He blew an opportunity to really change his life and make something of himself.....SMH

@gardenman 

Bite your tongue about Kellen Mond....I dont want my hometown guy going to the Cowboys as a QB backup....ANY TEAM but the Cowboys....😣😐

BTW in an interview with Mike Florio from PFT, Mike asked Kellen growing up in SA neutral territory in between the Cowboys and the Texans who was his favorite team growing up....Kellen said he didn't have a favorite TEAM, but his favorite player was Andre Johnson .......  GOOD ANSWER! 😁

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

I always felt an unexplainable connection to Tinkerbell....and now I know why.

She's a DC Fan.  Love her even more now.  Woman Happy

I'm hoping to see a lot of Gilbert in preseason.  Of the 3, I think he showed

the most promise, given what little time they had on field.

have fun with your exploring Philly trip @yellowBeetle 

I know Pittsburgh pretty well, but the only exploring I've done in

Philly has been in the airport.  I'd like to visit the garden show that

I've heard about. From the pictures, it looks beautiful.

Wishing everyone a good week ahead.

Esteemed Contributor

Antoine Bethea is a good choice to announce the draft pick for the Colts; I've always liked him. 

I've never been to Philadelphia, and it sounds like an interesting city. When I lived in Houston, took a trip to San Antonio. It's beautiful, and I loved the Riverwalk. However, the Alamo seemed small; I expected more out of it. As hyped up as it is, I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be. Maybe I was being too critical...or maybe the history surrounding the Alamo is more meaningful than the actual building. 

Four more days until the draft! My husband doesn't like sports and can't understand why I get so excited about this. He's tried watching football and wonders why men are all chasing after a ball. (his words.) He just isn't interested so he finds other things to do while I'm watching this. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw wrote:

Antoine Bethea is a good choice to announce the draft pick for the Colts; I've always liked him. 

I've never been to Philadelphia, and it sounds like an interesting city. When I lived in Houston, took a trip to San Antonio. It's beautiful, and I loved the Riverwalk. However, the Alamo seemed small; I expected more out of it. As hyped up as it is, I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be. Maybe I was being too critical...or maybe the history surrounding the Alamo is more meaningful than the actual building. 

Four more days until the draft! My husband doesn't like sports and can't understand why I get so excited about this. He's tried watching football and wonders why men are all chasing after a ball. (his words.) He just isn't interested so he finds other things to do while I'm watching this. 

@teganslaw 

Your right, the Alamo is nothing like the Pee Wee Herman movie..and contrary to the movie, there is no basement!!! ......LOL.

Pee-wee's Big Adventure (9/10) Movie CLIP - The Alamo Tour (1985) HD -  YouTube

The New York Times Proves That It Does Not Remember the Alamo | ArtSlut

As it stood all these many years the most fascinating thing was the Jim Bowie knife and of course "the official Alamo cat" (cats do have a history and one was at the original battle too). But they are now working on an expansion and construction is going on as we speak, they are adding a museum, two mission era structures (the church and long barracks) and additional exhibits and items  ( there was an archaeological dig and they found other historic artifacts) ......Singer Phil Collins also donated some historic items he purchased that were from the Alamo.....(he said he's always been fascinated with it's history)......

There's the usual tourist traps here--Sea World, and Fiesta Texas Amusement Park...The other historic missions are interesting...as is the Spanish Governor's home...to get a real taste of the city and attractions people need to explore beyond the downtown historic area and attend one of the  many festivals...the Strawberry Festival went on as planned this spring, but I think Cinco De Mayo was canceled....Fiesta has been moved from the spring to June this year because of Covid...but everyones complaining its too darn HOT in June...dont know about the Folklife Festival and whether its been canceled, and and it's Wurstfest in October in New Braunfels (located outside SA) and I hope the Holiday Christmas Parade and festivities will be a "go"........... 

Interesting that your husband isnt a sports fan....glad my sister and youngest brother are....(although we all cheer for different NFL teams---me-WFT, sister-Giants, brother-Rams---but we all love the Spurs, but they are a very interesting but very young team and may not make the playoffs....)

@gardenman 

I would love to visit Philly some day....but how do the citizens treat "touristas"....and I would be sure NOT to wear a WFT t-shirt.... 😉

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman  @Spurt  @teganslaw  @yellowrose 

Just a quick follow-up!😉

Valley Forge was beautiful! Highly recommend it to anyone visiting Philly! It felt so good to do something like that, that we have not done since Covid began.😊 We were very cautious this past year, being in our 60s...rarely went out and my husband worked from home. And thankfully we did not get Covid. But now with both of us vaccinated, we feel like kids in a candy store! Before Covid we would take the commuter train into Philly from our home in the suburbs at least once a month to sightsee. And several times a year we would go places like Valley Forge and the Amish Country. The Delaware beaches are easily doable for day-trips, but we did not go at all last year. And the nearby Dupont homes and museums like Winterthur and Hagley and Nemours were places we visited on a regular basis before Covid. So anyway, today was our first such outing since being vaccinated and it felt wonderful!!!😊😊

@yellowrose Thanks for the well-wishes! I have not yet been to the annual flower show but I always watch the local TV specials they have every year about it. It is something I want to do and maybe this will be the year! It is usually held inside during March or April but because of Covid it will be held outside this year in June.😊

@teganslaw I had to laugh about your husband and his not understanding your interest in the draft as my husband feels the same way!😉 He does watch football...but not nearly as much as I do...and he is definitely not caught up in the excitement over the draft in the way I am! Luckily my son is interested, so we talk and email about who SF will take as their QB, what crazy thing will Howie do with the Eagles, etc.😉

@Spurt Mr. Whiskers waves hello to you and your kitties! 😺 And my husband is originally from Dallas TX...lived there as a child... and has fond memories of visiting San Antonio and the Alamo.😊 I have never been to Texas but hope to go one of these days. I think you would love Philly...but no, do not wear a WFT shirt!😉

@gardenman Some other places we love to go in Philly are Penn's Landing, Reading Terminal, the Rodin Museum, and South Philly to get a cheesesteak at Pat's!😉 And we also enjoy walking around the sports complex area and seeing Lincoln Financial Field up close! Have never been to a game...but it is fun just looking at it! 

So again...hope everyone enjoys the draft...and then it will be just a little more than four months until the new season starts!!! See you all then!😊

Honored Contributor

@yellowrose 

The Philadelphia Flower Show is beautiful, but a fantasy far more than a reality. It's a great testament to the skill of the growers who can force plants into flower for a narrow ten-day window, but any of their show gardens in the real world would look vastly different. They'll have a garden with crocus, daffodils, iris, roses, dahlias, mums all blooming at the same time in a riot of color. The thing is, in the real world, they don't all flower at the same time. The best part of the flower show is the sales area where vendors from all over the country bring their plants and goods. 

I have this dream of a "real world" flower show where everything is outdoors and in the weather. Open it on the first day of Spring and let it run until the end of the growing season. Then maybe reopen it for a Christmas display. Imagine a massive area (several hundred acres) filled with gardens by garden designers, landscapers, landscape architects, nurseries, seed companies, plant growers, etc. all showing their products and skills that's open the whole gardening season in the real world. Something like the Chelsea Flower Show (also outdoors) only more permanent. The same growers can keep the garden from year to year and make whatever changes they want from year to year. I picture it as a Disney World for gardeners.

@Spurt 

Philly is like most places. There are places you definitely don't want to be. But by and large, it's a safe enough place. If you hear dirt bikes, four-wheelers, or the sort coming, duck into whatever building is nearby as Philly has thugs who will ride through the touristy parts of town on their bikes and grab purses, smartphones, wallets, whatever they can grab and then take off. The good news is they don't sneak up on you. If you hear them coming, duck into a nearby building until they've passed. With all of the alleys and narrow areas that bikes can get through and cars can't they can make their getaway with ease and the police can't catch them. And they travel in groups so if you try to fight them, others in the group will attack you. It's becoming a major type of crime in many big cities.

And back to the draft. There's lots of chatter now of the Eagles bundling Zach Ertz and the third or fourth-round pick along with pick twelve to move up and get "their guy" whoever that is. I suspect this rumor is coming from Ertz's agent who was given permission to seek a trade partner. The most likely trade partners would be the Panthers or Broncos. Most people still feel the Broncos want a QB though, so they may not be looking to trade back. I don't see an Ertz, 12th pick, and later pick or picks being enough to zoom up to four with Atlanta. If they wanted a tight end they'd just draft Pitts. If Pitts and Chase are both gone it's possible the Dolphins could be the buyers moving Philly back up to six again. That would be interesting. Would we give back the 2022 first-round pick we got from the Dolphins for moving back to move back up? We'll have to see. 

Teams seem to be getting a better feel for who's going where. There seems to be a growing consensus that Pitts goes fourth to Atlanta. They're willing to trade out of four, but the price is ridiculous according to those in the know. At five there's still some debate between o-line and Chase. Word is they're looking at who might be available later and using that to decide which way to go. There are fewer quality o-linemen than receivers in this draft, so they're likely to go o-line if that's true. They can get a good receiver later in the draft. The Dolphins want either Chase or Pitts and if both are gone they'll put pick number six up for sale, but they won't want to move down too far. Another QB could go at six. At seven you've got the Lions. They're looking to trade down and one of the top five QBs should still be available, so they're likely to find a buyer. If they don't find a buyer, I'm hearing Micah Parsons name more and more with the Lions. (Or possibly a cornerback.) At eight you've got the Panthers who could take a QB if they want competition for Darnold, but they may not want competition for Darnold. At nine the Broncos will almost certainly take a QB if one is still hanging around. Parsons is another name you're hearing here a bit. The Cowboys have all but been penciled in for Patrick Surtain. The Giants seem to be tilting towards the top defensive end. (The Cowboys may try to grab the guy first though.) The Eagles still seem focused on either a corner or wide receiver and my gut says Jaylen Waddle is the guy.

It's going to be an interesting week. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman 

Another blow to the Cowboy's defense, Sean Lee announced his retirement....despite his injuries he was an impact player on the Cowboy's D.....and the defense looked WORSE when he wasnt on the field....So another hole to fill.....

ESPN has the WFT picking LB Jamin Davis in their latest mock draft....