Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for April 2019!!!

@gardenman 

Yep, C Ross Pierschbacher Alabama got mixed reviews but I think the Redskins selected him due to his versatility....he played both LG and C along the line and will provide good depth.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

Gardenman, Hassan Ridgeway had great potential, but never lived up to expectations. He missed some games last season due to injury. He made some nice plays when healthy, but wasn't outstanding. Never got in trouble or had off the field issues. Maybe he just didn't fit the defensive scheme. The Eagles apparently saw something in him, so it's possible that he can get a new start in Philly. The Colts took G Javon Patterson from Ole Miss at pick 246. 

Their last picks were Gerri Green DE Miss State and Jackson Barton OT, Utah. The last ones seem to provide depth for the team. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Several analysts said the Redskins got a steal in WR Kelvin Harmon....Gruden says Harmon and McLaurin are both very versatile and can run lots of different route combinations

And G Wes Martin looks like an old time HOG..I hope he plays like one......LOL

D5MLLHHWsAEvsw6.jpg

D.J. from NFL Network really liked Redskins pick of CB Jimmy Moreland...

Gruden really likes how the defense is shaping up....Gruden says he didn’t really understand why ILB Cole Holcomb wasn’t more widely heralded. He had major production (100 picks 3 straight years) and tested through the roof. He's really excited about him.

Gruden says drafting of Bryce Love no reflection on Derrius Guice. They just liked Love's explosive playmaking.  (RB Chris Thompson coming off own injury)

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw 

Thanks for the info on Hassan Ridgeway. I'm guessing he's a bit of an introvert as there's next to no information on him online. Most of the time when you do a search for a guy you get tons of stuff including interviews from college, the bowl games, the combine, even high school, but there's none of that with Ridgeway. Once you get past his stats and predraft evaluation, he's a ghost. Given his size, strength and experience, he might make a good rotational piece in Philly. With Cox, Jernigan and Malik Jackson ahead of him, he shouldn't be called on too much, but could be helpful.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

And with the draft behind us and the undrafted free agents largely signed to deals, that ends the offseason roster rebuilding for another year. Somewhere in that mix of ninety guys now on your team's roster are the fifty-three who will make the opening day roster and likely the ten who will make up your practice squad. Oh, a player or two here and there will get shuffled around, but by and large roster shuffling is now done. What you've got is what you've got. Of those ninety guys, twenty-seven will find themselves out of a job and re-evaluating their future come the fall.

The Eagles came out of the draft with more depth than anything. They could have started the season without adding anyone, but got lots of good depth and future players in the draft. Running back Miles Sanders has the best chance of seeing serious playing time this year. Running backs can transition to the NFL without a lot of trouble. Wide receiver JJ Arcega-Whiteside will likely get a few plays a game and might contribute on special teams. Offensive tackle Andre Dillard and defensive end Shareef Miller will likely not see the field much, if at all this year as they adapt to the NFL. Quarterback Clayton Thorson will only see the field in the preseason, barring massive injuries and might end up on the practice squad. Next year those guys will likely be slotted for a bigger role.

Focusing on the NFC East for a bit, the Giants got their QB of the future, but Gettleman says he could sit for three years behind Eli. (Seriously?) They spent most of the rest of the draft on the defense with a couple of DB's being the only players likely to be immediate contributors. Their defensive linemen will likely need a year or two to become valued contributors and even the DB's will need to adjust to the NFL.

The Cowboys got little in the way of immediate help unless they know something about Ezekiel Elliott that the rest of us don't. They did draft two running backs to back him up. The safety they drafted in the sixth round and their fifth round corner are the only guys you could legitimately see being an impact player this year, but a sixth round safety typically is a sixth round safety for a reason. The same is true of a fifth round corner. They'll likely have to start one or more of their rookie defensive linemen, but they tend to be more of a hindrance than a help early in their careers.

The Redskins likely got the most immediate help in Dwayne Haskins. I expect him to be starting early, if not week one. There's a good chance that Terry McLaurin their third round wide receiver will be starting with him. Watching who gets the reps in the OTA's and training camp will tell us a lot. Haskins will need every rep he can get, but do the coaches give them to him or give them to Case Keenum instead? Reportedly the Redskins coaches weren't thrilled with Haskins and would have preferred an alternative pick at QB. Do they defy upper management and go ahead with Keenum (or McCoy if his leg ever heals,) or plug in Haskins right away? I'd plug in Haskins right away, but that's just me. Case Keenum has been around long enough that he doesn't absolutely need lots of reps. He'd be better with more reps, but he shouldn't need them.

Has the draft altered the makeup of the NFC East in a serious way? Not really. The Redskins likely came away the most improved immediately, at least on paper. The Eagles, Giants and Cowboys got guys who could help them in the future but are unlikely to be key contributors this coming season.

The AFC East might actually be competitive this year. Buffalo has been quietly building a bit of a powerhouse. If Josh Allen is the real deal at QB (and that's still a bit iffy) then they could cause trouble for the Patriots. The Jets are a bit better. The Dolphins, well, they did get Josh Rosen, but poor Josh will be playing in his seventh offensive system in the last five years. (Or is it the eighth in the last six years?) Talk about a kid with a scrambled brain. If he could develop amnesia it would be the best thing in the world for him. It takes two to three years to learn one system and he's got seven or eight floating around in his head without ever fully learning any one of them. It's the perfect formula to destroy a kid QB. Young quarterbacks need stability and he hasn't had it. Probably ninety percent of being a QB is based in the head and his head is so scrambled that he's in big trouble. Going to a Pittsburgh, New England, or Green Bay where he could have a few years to fully learn just one system behind a veteran QB would have been ideal for him.

The Chiefs should be announcing the cutting of Tyreek Hill at any tme. I'd have done it as soon as the audio tape of him came out, but they apparently wanted to wait until after the draft. There's no way they can keep him on the roster and hope this blows over.

Expect the Eagles to make a move of some sort with defensive end Chris Long. He's pretty much told them he wants to be a starting defensive end playing all three downs and the Eagles prefer a rotation. He was likely the fourth or fifth defensive end in the rotation and he wants more playing time. The Eagles could cut him, trade him, or he could opt to retire, but I think he still wants to play. I suspect the Eagles will try to trade him to an AFC team if possible. If cut, the Cowboys would likely want to grab him and that would be bad for the Eagles.

Expect lots of front office moves over the next few days as scouts, GM's, player personnel staff get fired and new ones hired. Their job for the 2019 season is largely done and now's the time teams move on to find new guys.

We've got about a month and half now for teams to figure out how their roster really looks before the summer vacations and training camps start. Some teams will go into that vacation time confident that they'll be ready to compete. Some will have a miserable vacation wondering how they'll piece together a team that could compete. There's not a lot to do now but coach up what you've got and hope for the best. Big roster moves are harder to make now and teams pretty much have what they have, for better or worse.

Don't expect a lot of honesty from any team however. They'll all insist, at least publicly, that they've filled their holes and this is the best team they've ever seen. Privately the coaches may be refreshing their resumes knowing they're doomed, but publicly they'll echo the company line. 

The draftniks now all turn their attention to the 2020 draft and who will be the top pick and which team is most likely to earn that top pick. My top contenders for teams earning that first overall pick next year would be Arizona, Tampa, the Giants, and possibly the Panthers, depending on Cam Newton's shoulder. All of those teams are playing in tough divisions where beating the top teams will be a challenge. Arizona faces the Seahawks, Rams and Niners who are all good. Tampa and the Panthers face the Saints and Falcons. The Falcons may not be good, but who knows? The Giants face the Eagles, Cowboys and Redskins. The Raiders and Bengals could lose their way to that first overall pick also.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Reports are out that the Colts are signing former Broncos QB Chad Kelly. He spent a year on injured reserve and was arrested later for criminal trespassing. That's when the Broncos cut him, and he's been out of football since.

I don't understand this signing, if it's true. That doesn't sound like Ballard, as he doesn't usually go for players with off the field issues. Maybe Kelly has been in rehab and changed, but how effective would he be when he hasn't played?  Unless he would go the practice squad. I don't know details yet.

Eagles' VP of Football Operations, Howie Roseman, is confident in  Hassan Ridgeway's ability. He thinks that Ridgeway will fit in with the Eagle's system, and will use him in rotation. It sounds like Roseman has been planning this move for awhile. Hopefully, Ridgeway can stay healthy.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

Chad Kelly was pretty highly thought of for a while, then the trespassing charge cost him his shot with the Broncos. Apparently the Colts had been talking with him for several weeks and likely did a thorough background check on him. At this point he's more of a camp arm for them than anything, but he's got four months to prove to them that he's changed. The time off shouldn't be an issue as long as he's in shape. It can even be an advantage. Players coming back after being forced to watch from the outside often come back with a better understanding of the game than they had while playing.

As you said, Howie Roseman reportedly had been trying to get Hassan Ridgeway from the Colts for some time. One report had his interest going back two years or more. Apparently the Eagles' scouts and coaches love the guy. He's one more option for that defensive tackle rotation of the Eagles. I haven't watched the Colts defense much, but in general there are two ways defensive coaches want defensive tackles to play. In most of the league they want the DT to occupy the center/guard and contain them so the defensive ends and linebackers are free to make plays. If the DT fails to occupy/contain the center/guard the defense breaks down. Jim Schwartz of the Eagles wants his defensive tackles to attack and penetrate and make plays themselves. My best guess is the Colts defense is a contain and occupy type, but Ridgeway was more interested in attacking and penetrating which is why he didn't see the field as much. It made him a bad fit for the Colts, but perfect for the Eagles. We'll have to see how he does this year.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Ugh! The Dolphins' GM is already talking about drafting a QB next year. That's insanely dumb. You just got Josh Rosen, don't poison him this quickly. What they should be saying is: "We got our franchise QB. Josh is the man. We need to put the pieces in place around him, but he's our guy." Build him up. Show him you've got confidence in him and believe in him. (Even if you don't.) The guy's been on your team what? Two days? And you're already talking about replacing him next year? Talk about a short honeymoon. If he's not your guy you can still draft the next guy next year, but don't deflate Josh this quickly. Tell anyone and everyone how great he is and how happy you are you got him.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

Ugh! The Dolphins' GM is already talking about drafting a QB next year. That's insanely dumb. You just got Josh Rosen, don't poison him this quickly. What they should be saying is: "We got our franchise QB. Josh is the man. We need to put the pieces in place around him, but he's our guy." Build him up. Show him you've got confidence in him and believe in him. (Even if you don't.) The guy's been on your team what? Two days? And you're already talking about replacing him next year? Talk about a short honeymoon. If he's not your guy you can still draft the next guy next year, but don't deflate Josh this quickly. Tell anyone and everyone how great he is and how happy you are you got him.

@gardenman 

Some of these NFL GM's are just idiots.....SMH.  And poor Rosen he's been so classy the way he has conducted himself throughout this Cardinal fiasco....even congratulated Murray and wished him success...I thought he found a home with the Dolphins...now this...Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

Yeah, it's about as stupid a thing as you can do as a GM. You just got the kid. Build him up. Reinforce him. You liked him enough to give up a second and fifth round pick to get him, so don't tear him down. You want everyone rallying behind the kid. You want the coaching staff to buy into the kid. You want the players to buy into the kid. You want fans buying his jersey. Instead you've already got him looking over his shoulder.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!