Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for April 2019!!!

[ Edited ]
This from Twitter:

Hoghaven

You will hear the Redskins linked to just about every trade scenario between now and draft. Was told this a.m. they don’t feel they can afford to part w early picks. Also, they haven’t discussed Rosen.

But remember... it’s #lyingseason

Daniel Jeremiah

@MoveTheSticks

What I've heard in last 24 hours:
Redskins moving up for Haskins
Redskins moving up for Jones
Giants moving up for Lock
Giants taking Jones at 17
Titans taking Lock
Bengals taking Haskins
Bengals not taking QB
Lions trade back and take QB

Owner Daniel Snyder may or may not be heavily influencing what the Washington Redskins plan to do for Thursday’s draft. 

106.7 The Fan’s Grant Paulsen tweeted a team source told him that Snyder has “taken over the first round of the draft” for the Redskins — amid other rumors that the team is exploring a trade into the top five of the draft. 

But team spokesman Tony Wyllie told Paulsen that “any person saying Dan Snyder has taken over the team’s first round decision making is ‘categorically false.’” 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

It's day one of the NFL draft! All the lying and subterfuge about who is targeting who finally ends tonight. Then we get the lying about the guy every team drafted being either the top guy, or one of the top guys on their board and they were shocked he was there when they made their pick. Every team will end tonight (or early tomorrow morning depending on how fast things go) giving the impression the guy they drafted will eventually end up in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. In truth, about half will be out of the league in five years or less. Maybe five or six guys drafted will turn into really good pros. Another five or six will be average starters. Another four or five will hang around because the GM who drafted him won't want to admit he wasted a pick.

The reporters with good sources around the league all seem a bit lost on who goes where. The top five picks seem likely to be Kyler Murray, Nick Bosa, Quinnen Williams, Ed Oliver and Josh Allen, but no one knows in what order, and it's possible one or more of them could slide back if teams get desperate to move up for a QB.

The Redskins pretty much have to find a quarterback or two someplace just to have quarterbacks for training camp. With McCoy having had a third surgery on his broken leg, his availability is questionable, at best. Case Keenum is pretty much all they have and you need three or four guys for camp. 

It's going to be an interesting draft. Some are saying only one running back (Josh Jacobs) and one wide reciever (Marquise 'Hollywood' Brown) will go in the first round. Some have four quarterbacks going in the top ten picks, some have only two going in the whole first round.

Lots and lots of rumors and lies will be flying around today. The training camp rosters will be pretty much set come Monday as the undrafted free agents get signed. Then some teams will flush out their scouts and personnel staff and replace them.

Those first rookie camps will fire up in early May at which point some coaches will really start to hate their front office staff for drafting/signing idiots who can't play at the NFL level. Other staffs will be surprised to find how quickly and well their kids are fitting in and adapting to the league. The 2019 season pretty much starts now, and things get fun.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Justin Tucker deserves this kind of money. He has helped me out many times in fantasy.

Another rumor I've heard is NE trading up for a WR or TE. I don't know which team they would trade with, though.

The Colts could either go WR or defense. They need a WR to accommodate Hilton since Funchess is only a year deal. Also DE and pass rush are needs. Justin Houston signing did help a lot, though.

I'm wondering why Greedy Williams is hardly listed in the mock drafts. Is there some kind of health concern? I've heard that Montez Sweat could still be in the first round, as his heart problem isn't that serious and can be managed.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

What I've heard about Greedy Williams is that teams are concerned about his tackling and ability to handle press man coverage against bigger NFL receivers. He's 6'-2" but only 187 pounds. Some seem to feel he'll be tossed aside like a rag doll by NFL receivers. He apparently wasn't an especially enthusiastic tackler in college either and going up against bigger, faster NFL players won't improve his tackling any. He's good in coverage, but if he's not physical enough and can't tackle, he's not a great option. The good news is those things can be fixed. An NFL weight and fitness prgoram can add twenty pounds of muscle pretty quickly. Tackling is as much about desire as anything and coaches can motivate a guy sometimes.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, the Redskins need a QB but so many other holes to fill...I dont them to give away the farm...never has worked ....I just see and hope the Redskins stay at 15 to get their QB and keep their remaining draft picks......Haskins will be gone so maybe Jones, Lock, Grier, Finley.....We also need a WR...they let Crowder walk, and need an edge rusher, TE, LB, CB, safety....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I still wonder about Jadeveon Clowney possibly coming to Philly. Chris Long hasn't committed to coming back in 2019 and says he wants to see how the defensive end spot is filled out in Philly. Does he know something? I don't see him being worried too much about beating out a rookie. The starters will likely be Brandon Graham and Derek Barnett with Vinny Curry and Chris Long backing them up and rotating in. Chris Long is better than Vinny Curry. He'd be better than a rookie. Why not commit? Does he think, maybe know, the Eagles are targeting Clowney? I don't know, but it makes me wonder. Chris Long is a rotational guy now and not a full time starter. It's been his role since he signed in Philly. He's the third best defensive end in Philly and with Brandon Graham getting rotated inside on passing downs he'd play a lot. But, if Clowney came, he'd then be fourth best and see his playing time decrease. We'll find out more tonight, but I suspect something might be going on there.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

In a depth related move the Eagles resigned Timmy Jernigan again. That makes drafting a defensive tackle a bit less likely. That makes it a bit more likely that the Eagles go offense early in the draft.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Patrick Mahomes is jinxed he will be on the Madden Cover!!!!

What channel y'all watching?

Im going traditional---ESPN Trey Wingo, Mel, and Todd, Todd, Todd.....and Lou Riddick....

Honored Contributor

The Chiefs have likely lost Tyreek Hill. There's a recording of him and his child's mother talking about how he broke his son's arm and also warning her that she should be terrified of him also. If the Chiefs don't cut him loose, the league will suspend him anyway, so there's not a lot for the Chiefs to lose by cutting him loose.

I'll be watching the draft on ESPN and switching to ABC during commercials on ESPN. (Assuming they don't synchronize their commercials.)

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Twitter is absolutely killing the Giants for drafting Daniel Jones. Polling shows 86% disapprove of the pick. The Giants seemed to prefer him due to the Manning ties, but that's an odd reason to draft a guy. Offensive line is slipping a bit. There may be some pretty talented o-linemen around pretty late in the first.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!