Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for April 2019!!!

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw wrote:

I'm glad that the Colts didn't get Clark, after all. I wouldn't like the idea of giving up all those draft picks plus over 100 million for five years.

I read that Clark got in trouble for domestic abuse while he was in college. I don't know details, but he's been clean since then. Salary cap was most likely the reason Seattle traded him. Especially after Wison's huge contract.

SPURT, so people still want Bruce Allen fired? Maybe they should be careful what they wish for; don't know who would replace him.

@teganslaw 

Yep, fan wrath has really been directed at Bruce....his draft picks have actually been pretty good last couple years so much better than Vinny Cerrato...ARRRGgghhh....But where Bruce fails is free agency....failing to re-sign good players like Trent Murphy, the way he handled Kirk Cousins ---all he did was drive the price of his contract up, no word on Scherff's extension,  failing to land high quality FAs....Then the major mistake of Alex Smith...too old, overpaid, and they also lost Fuller in the deal...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Here's some awful news....

Colt McCoy was seen last month in a cast, and it was reported he needed a second surgery on his leg. Now McCoy will miss OTAs for the first time in his Redskins career due to a  third procedure on his leg.

“What happened was when he had the injury we were aggressive trying to get him back on the field so fast we didn’t give it time enough to heal the right way so they went back in and did a small procedure to make sure that thing is on track to be full strength by the season,” Gruden explained at the NFL League Meetings in Arizona last month.

Now, McCoy has undergone another minor procedure on his leg, his third since the December injury, though the source maintains he could be back in Ashburn as soon as next week.

The Redskins traded for Keenum and have been linked to every QB in this draft, and one from last year's. Colt McCoy could easily be the odd man out after draft weekend.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Having had far too much recent experience with a broken leg (different bone than McCoy's though) they likely went with internal fixation (plate and screws) and found the healing was either inadequate, or too slow. The second surgery was likely to add bone grafts which are typically 60% successful in the first graft attempt and can speed up healing. The third surgery is a bad omen. That implies that at least one graft failed and with each repeated graft the odds of a successful outcome decreases. My surgeon said the odds of a graft working go from about 60% to 30% to 15% decreasing by 50% with each successive surgery. I suspect his bone is healing, but they're trying to speed it up so he's ready for the season, but it doesn't look like that'll happen.

I'm now around sixteen months in, and the four cortices just bridged in February and the fracture line is just now healing. If I was a professional athlete I still wouldn't be cleared to play. Probably still six months to a year before my femur is fully mended and I'd be cleared to play. Teams want a bone fully healed before they put an athlete back on the field.

It's possible his two surgeries were for something more trivial, like a loose screw that was causing irritation, but it sounds more like a bone graft to me and with each successive try, the odds get worse. In time his leg will likely heal, but it could take a while and he probably won't be ready for the start of the season.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

It sounds like a lot of teams are fishing for more draft picks by dangling their vets out there on the market. Patrick Peterson, the Cards corner is the latest name added to the mix. Jadeveon Clowney's name has been floating around for a while also. A lot of teams don't have the cap room to take on one of those guys, but expect to see some more movement in the next 48 hours or so.

What will be the asking price for those guys? God only knows. The Texans gave Clowney a restricted free agency tag though so for two first round picks you could just sign him and not have to trade. That would imply his trade price would be less than two first round picks. Why give up more than that if you can sign him for less?

Peterson was reportedly going to the Chiefs, then they traded for Frank Clark instead, so I'm assuming his price included one of the picks the Chiefs traded away to get Clark. You don't often get teh chance to get a 28 year old pro bowl starting cornerback, so he's an interesting option for a lot of teams.

The Steelers are trying to hammer out a new deal with Roethlisberger. They want it done before the draft. Interesting timing as they were one of the teams rumored to be looking at QB's in the draft. I suspect they're hoping to sign Ben for a lower than $35 million a year deal and if they can't then maybe look at the young QB's. These next 36 hours or so are going to be pretty crazy.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

wooooohooooo JTUCK remains a raven for at least four more years.

4 year contract extension......highest paid kicker EVER in the nfl.

$23.05 million and includes $12.5 million fully guaranteed in the first two years and an $8 million signing bonus.

bet he is singing a happy song today!  Smiley Wink

jtuck.jpg

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

That's some serious money by kickers' standards. He should be very happy. 

The Steelers extended Roethlisberger, but no word on the price just yet. I'd guess somewhere in the $30-$32 million range. I doubt that he'd get $35 million. The Steelers will be an interesting team to watch this year. Losing Brown and Bell will hurt them a bit and everyone else but the Bengals in their division has gotten better.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

The current hot draft rumor is that the Redskins and Giants both want QB Daniel Jones and the Redskins are trying to move into the top five to get him ahead of the Giants. Daniel Jones is said to be an Eli Manning clone, but lacking Eli's charisma. (Eli has charisma?) That could be entertaining to watch those two clubs competing for the guy.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Roethlisberger's new deal is for two years at $63 million which puts him right at $31.5 million per year. About what was expected. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

wooooohooooo JTUCK remains a raven for at least four more years.

4 year contract extension......highest paid kicker EVER in the nfl.

$23.05 million and includes $12.5 million fully guaranteed in the first two years and an $8 million signing bonus.

bet he is singing a happy song today!  Smiley Wink

jtuck.jpg

@sunshine45 

That's good news!!!!  YAY JTUCK!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

The current hot draft rumor is that the Redskins and Giants both want QB Daniel Jones and the Redskins are trying to move into the top five to get him ahead of the Giants. Daniel Jones is said to be an Eli Manning clone, but lacking Eli's charisma. (Eli has charisma?) That could be entertaining to watch those two clubs competing for the guy.

@gardenman 

LOL...so true.....Who even knew Eli has charisma....😆

I heard Redskins QB pick if available was Dwayne Haskins......If we give up a lot to get him its gonna be a big mistake... Woman Sad