Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for April 2019!!!

Lots more draft rumors floating around. Expect this to continue until the draft on Thursday. The Cards are said to be listening to offers to move down in the draft. (Unlikely, but who knows.) There are lots of rumors of the Colts and Eagles wanting the same player and since the Eagles draft 25 and the Colts 26 some are expecting the Colts to hop in front of the Eagles. Others think the Eagles may try to move up to make it harder for the Colts to jump in front of them. Oddly no one seems to agree on which player both teams want. Some say it's a defensive end, others say a defensive tackle, or one of two (or more) wide receivers.

The Giants are being linked to pretty nearly every QB in the draft despite Gettleman insisting they're not taking a QB high in the draft. The Jets have all but put a "For Sale" sign on their third overall pick and seem very interested in moving back out of the early chaos and grabbing extra picks.

This is going to be a very interesting week.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I haven't heard anything about the Colts trading up in the draft. No one knows if they will draft a WR or go defense. The rumors are more frequent as draft day approaches.

Ballard is having a press conference at noon today. Maybe he'll give some signs on what he plans on doing, or maybe we won't learn a thing until Thursday.

I still think Arizona is taking Kyler Murray. Would be very surprised if they don't.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

Another day, another new batch of rumors. Some are now predicting the Raiders do something totally unexpected with their fourth overall pick. That's kind of hard as they've been mocked with pretty much every player in the draft at one point or another. What's unexpected? Drafting a kicker or punter fourth overall? That's about the only thing that hasn't been predicted by someone.

You're starting to hear questions now about Kyler Murray. He was late to several practices. He doesn't know the offense he played in very well. He's not especially sharp on the white board, etc.. It's all the normal BS that goes on with guys likely to go high in the draft in an effort to excuse why a team doesn't pick them and to hope other teams believe it and the guy drops to them. I still think he's going first overall to the Cardinals.

Mock drafts have been especially random this year. The Eagles draft 25th and about fifty players have been mocked to them, many of which made no sense at all. The good news is for those doing the many, many mock drafts, they're bound to have gotten one of the ten thousand or so they've done right.

Pretty much every team is now listening to trade offers to move up or down and weighing their options. Teams in the middle to back of the first round probably aren't getting a lot of calls as no one knows who will be available there. Let a guy start to slip though and their phones will start to ring. Those teams are likely making calls to see if they can move up a few spots, and just to see what it would cost to move up quite a few slots.

Reports now indicate Bryce Love has stiffness in his surgically repaired knee which may move him back a bit more in the draft. I still think he's a bargain anywhere from the third round on. If you can afford to sit him for a year to get him right, he's likely the steal of the draft.

I have no clue what the Eagles will do. The latest rumors have them back on the hunt for Josh Jacobs, but also a wide receiver, defensive tackle,  defensive end, offensive lineman and defensive back. About the only player they don't have the Eagles drafting are tight ends, kickers, and quarterbacks. (Though truth be told if one of those two top tight ends is still there at 25, they might just draft the kid anyway.) The "experts" will proclaim that they were right on who the Eagles would draft, simply because they have us drafting everyone. One of their many, many guesses had to be right.

The Redskins are being tied to Josh Rosen again now. Some are now saying Rosen will go for a third round pick instead of a first. I doubt he'd go that low, but who knows? At some point it makes sense for the Cards to keep him as a backup rather than just unload him for nothing. They have Brett Hundley as their backup now, but Rosen could likely beat him out if they keep Rosen around.

Just two days to go now until the draft kicks off. If there's to be a big trade up, expect it to go down today or tomorrow as teams moving up will want time to be sure the guy they're moving up for will still be there and is ready. The best and final offers to move up are likely to be on the table today or tomorrow and we could see some movement. It'll be fun to watch.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Reports are in that the Colts are interested in DE Frank Clark. The Jets and Chiefs have also apparently shown interest. Seattle would want some draft picks in return, so how much are the Colts willing to give up to acquire him?  I have no idea if Ballard would do this; he didn't give any details in his press conference.

I expect some surprises this Thursday. No matter what the Colts do, there will be some unhappy people.

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Nothing on the Redskin front...other than Bruce Allen is in hiding...#FireBruceAllen tweeters may have something to do with it.  Doug Williams had a press conference and all he basically said was more chance of the team trading down than trading up......

DE Matt Ioanndis signed a multi-year extension which was a smart and good move for a change.  Last season, Ioannidis recorded career highs in total tackles (32), solo tackles (23) and sacks (7.5)

@gardenman 

Interesting discussion on Golic & Wingo Show...it seems Donovan McNabb's comments about Wentz created a stir and this irked OT Lane Johnson... who referred to McNabb as a snake...in his tweet.

@donovanjmcnabb 🐍 🐍 🐍 🐍 🐍 🐍...and you wonder why nobody respects you when you come back!!!!

Which resulted in McNabb in covering up his tracks and trying to clarify what he meant....

McNabb  “Maybe people just didn’t like it because it’s coming from me or I answered a question from one of the talents on the radio the way you didn’t agree with. If that’s how you feel, I’m sorry you feel that way. It’s the nature of the game.  For those of you who misread, didn’t understand, were confused or just didn’t like my comments let me clarify it for you. Let me start by saying there’s no beef,riff or ill-will toward @cj_wentz or the @Eagles . My comments were strictly based off of experience and understanding

All McNabb needed to say is a key to the Eagles' success is for Wentz to stay healthy, which wouldnt have offended anyone...but that's McNabb for ya...If I recall he divided up his own locker room back in his playing days....

Never was a McNabb fan...(one of the worst decisions Redskins made getting him when his playing days and skills were already done)....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

Yeah, McNabb's not a very popular guy in the Eagles' locker room. The Eagles players are getting tired of people taking shots at Wentz and are fighting back these days. Lane Johnson is assuming the lead in defending Wentz.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Frank Clark is going to the Chiefs in return for  first round and third round 2019 draft picks, and a second round 2020 draft pick. He will most likely replace Justin Houston. 

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

That was kind of a pricey move for the Chiefs. Not just the draft picks, but the five year deal they signed him to. I always get nervous about why a team is willing to give up a guy who plays well. It's not like you can find guys like that everyplace. For the Seahawks to be willing to let him go always worries me. What do they know that makes him expendable? Whatever it is, they were willing to let him go and not willing to pay him what the Chiefs are paying him. Have the Chiefs just made a very expensive five year blunder? We'll have to see.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I'm glad that the Colts didn't get Clark, after all. I wouldn't like the idea of giving up all those draft picks plus over 100 million for five years.

I read that Clark got in trouble for domestic abuse while he was in college. I don't know details, but he's been clean since then. Salary cap was most likely the reason Seattle traded him. Especially after Wison's huge contract.

SPURT, so people still want Bruce Allen fired? Maybe they should be careful what they wish for; don't know who would replace him.

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

A local reporter called around to his NFL sources to try and get a feel for what will happen in the draft. They pretty much all shrugged and said, "Who knows?" This is arguably the most uncertain draft we've seen. No one seems to have a good feel for what's going to happen. Will quarterbacks go high, or will they slide back? People with good contacts with multiple teams have no clue what will happen. It should be fun to watch.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!