Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for April 2019!!!

Well now, that's confusing. The Eagles restructured Zach Ertz's contract to free up another $5+ million in cap space, giving them over $27 million in cap space now. Why? Free agency is largely done and there's no $27 million a year free agent left out there. Are they planning to trade for a high priced player? Who? Are they building cap room to sign Wentz to an extension? Teams need about $7 million to sign draft picks, so that still leaves about $20 million in free money. They have around $15 million in cap space next year already so if they roll over the $20 million from this year and add it to that, they'll have the $35 million for a Wentz extension. I think that makes the most sense.

Howie Roseman, the Eagles GM always has a plan, but no one but Howie seems to know what it is. Is the money for Wentz? Other guys who would become free agents? An existing free agent or free agents? Is there a blockbuster trade in the works? It'll be interesting to see. Von Miller will be a free agent in 2020 and there was some short-lived talk of a Nick Foles for Von Miller trade earlier. Maybe the Broncos have agreed to trade him to the Eagles for draft picks to help them move up in the draft and the Eagles are freeing up cap space to sign him to a longer term deal? I don't know. We'll have to see what happens.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

A month ago the Eagles said that a contract extension for Wentz was"highly unlikely" in 2019. Unless that's changed, the extra salary cap money could be for 2020. Eventually, we'll find out.

I don't understand the rumors about Rosen going to Washington. The team just signed Case Keenum, so it wouldn't make sense for them to move Keenum and get Rosen. Colt McCoy should be healthy by September. Wouldn't Washington have larger needs than a QB?

On GMF weekend, Casserly's mock draft had the Colts choosing WR A.J. Brown. He had the Eagles moving up to get a lineman, Roy Little. Washington drafted DE Clelin Ferrell.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw 

The Redskins have a longterm need at QB. Case Keenum and Colt McCoy have never shown that they're "the guy." Maybe one of them can be, but they haven't shown it yet. Getting a young guy at QB is likely a priority for the Redskins. With Keenum and McCoy the Redskins are likely to win six games a year keeping them from a top five pick and away from a top tier QB in the draft. If they keep drafting between twelve and twenty, the odds of a great QB coming are slim. Josh Rosen is a top tier guy, some said the best QB in last year's draft. If the price isn't too high, getting him could be a big win. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw wrote:

A month ago the Eagles said that a contract extension for Wentz was"highly unlikely" in 2019. Unless that's changed, the extra salary cap money could be for 2020. Eventually, we'll find out.

I don't understand the rumors about Rosen going to Washington. The team just signed Case Keenum, so it wouldn't make sense for them to move Keenum and get Rosen. Colt McCoy should be healthy by September. Wouldn't Washington have larger needs than a QB?

On GMF weekend, Casserly's mock draft had the Colts choosing WR A.J. Brown. He had the Eagles moving up to get a lineman, Roy Little. Washington drafted DE Clelin Ferrell.

@teganslaw 

The Rosen rumors could be just a smoke screen.....OR.....Bruce Allen finally woke up and realized even if Alex Smith was healthy he's not a long term solution, and will turn 35 in May... Case is just a backup.......Although Gruden has always liked McCoy he's 32 and oft injured and contract is up for 2020......BUT your right the Redskins have a lot of needs and need to replace FAs they lost......I hope they dont get Rosen.....I would do what Cass suggested, trade down, grab a couple of extra picks...get some young studs at positions they need and grab a QB in a later round.....

@gardenman @teganslaw 

But what I'm concerned about if Redskins give up a lot to get Rosen (Redskins need every draft pick they  have)...Redskins  still need some OL to protect the QB, a guard and backup LT , and we need OL to make holes for AP and Guice. And who would Rosen throw to?  Trey Quinn and first round bust Doctson doesnt exactly strike fear into the hearts of opponents....and then there's our talented but oft injured TE...Woman Frustrated  Our offense is a mess and not a good environment to throw in a young QB as a starter, later round QB would be fine to groom...Yep we will wind up in the middle of pack again, but with cap mess created by Smith...all we can do...JMHO

And on the D side we need someone to help partner with Ryan "Sharknado star" HeartKerrigan,  since they let Smith go, edge rusher and safety are also on the shopping list......Kerrigan himself is getting up there...good draft to possibly look for an heir apparent....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Mock drafts are all over the place with the Eagles pick at 25. The good news is we don't need a starter. Whoever gets drafted there will, at most, be a rotational player, barring injuries.

We've invested heavily in wide receivers lately. As of this moment we've got twelve on the ninety man roster and eleven of them have NFL experience. The one who doesn't played in the CFL. They've also had eight rookie wide receivers in for interviews at the Senior Bowl, combine, or private workouts. That seems to be more of a priority for the Eagles front office than one would assume. Could they draft a wide receiver in the first round? Possibly. A few of the mock drafts have picked up on the Eagles interest there and are now having them pick a receiver.

I think d-linemen are still more likely, but once again there's already good depth on the roster there. Lots of mock drafts have them taking a corner, but I don't see that. Injuries hit that positon hard last year, but we found good guys to play the corner roles despite an insane amount of injuries. We had thirteen different guys start at cornerback in eighteen games. That's just an absurd number. We're so deep at cornerback that several are likely to be moved to safety to see how they perform.

Offensive line could be a target, but the five starters should all be back along with the top backups. We're three deep in starting caliber tight ends. We've got a bushel basket of runningbacks, no superstar perhaps, but lots of competent guys. Quarterback? Maybe, but likely in later rounds. We don't have a "star" linebacker, but this defense is more built around competency in the linebacker position. Stay in your gap, make the tackle or get the right drop.  The defense is not built to showcase a linebacker.

This could be one of those rare drafts where they don't care what position a player plays, they'll just take whoever is truly top rated on their board at the time regardless of his fit on the roster.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh oh....

The Eagles' Jalen Mills was arrested for fighting with NBA player Devin Robinson in an altercation that sent Devin to a hospital. The two got into a street fight.  

The 6-foot-0, 191-pound Mills was arrested for disorderly affray. The 6-foot-8, 200-pound Robinson was arrested as well but was taken to the hospital, not to jail. It is unclear how seriously he was injured.  The Wizards released a statement they would not be extending a qualifying offer to him for the 2019-2020 season.

Mills, a seventh-round draft pick on 2016, enters the final year of his rookie deal, at a salary of just over $2 million. The league has jurisdiction over any potential punishment under the Personal Conduct Policy; however, the Eagles could choose to move on from him.

The Eagles regularly defended Mills last season over criticism of his play. He eventually was lost for the season with a foot injury.

Looks like this street fight will cost both of them their respective jobs...unless the Eagles think Mills is worth it...but I have a feeling Mills will be released too...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I don't think it will hurt Jalen Mills at all. All indications are that the other guy started the fight and Mills acted in self-defense. Reportedly the basketball player Robinson (who was much bigger and taller) was angry that Mills was in a DC area club when he didn't play in DC. (Oddly enough professional athletes are allowed to travel wherever they want in the offseason and many have homes near where they grew up.) Some reports indicate that Robinson followed Mills as he left the club and provoked the fight.

Robinson started the fight and Mills ended it. Jalen Mill's fine was set at $35, which tells you something. There is no court date in this case as the fine alone is considered the punishment. Even the NFL rules don't require a player to stand helpless while being attacked. In this case it appears Mills was attacked and simply fought back and won. We'll see if more details come out later, but early indications are that Mills didn't start the fight, but ended it. By the way, I believe Jalen Mills is still in a walking boot for his foot injury, so not only did Robinson attack a smaller man, he attacked a smaller man who was already injured and still ended up in the hospital as a result.

In all likelihood there is surveillance footage of the fight that will help resolve what happened, but no one seems to be treating it very seriously. A $35 fine is minuscule and tells you how seriously the police and prosecutors feel about the altercation. I'd be very surprised if the Eagles did anything at all. This seems like a lot of nothing.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Word is that the Eagles brought in defensive tackle Ed Oliver from the University of Houston for a meet and greet that didn't go well and they've now removed him from their draft board completely. Kind of stupid on his part if it's true. (And it may not be.) You're in town for one day and talking to people who want to pay you millions of dollars, so smile, nod your head, sound intelligent, and don't be a jerk. We saw Vontaze Burfict go from a sure thing first round pick to falling completely out of the draft a few years back due to bad meet and greets. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

There are some interesting trade rumors starting to pop up with defensive ends. Frank Clark of the Seahawks has been mentioned a bit. And, oddly enough, a Philly Eagle writer has heard whispers of Jadeveon Clowney coming to Philly. That could explain the increased cap space. Clowney's been franchise tagged and reportedly he and the Texans are far apart on a long term deal. The Eagles have freed up $27+ million in cap space for some reason. Could it be Clowney? Any trade would likely be contingent on getting Clowney signed to a long term deal and that would likely be in the $20 million a year ballpark. The math works, but I'm not so sure about the logic. With Brandon Graham and Derek Barnett the Eagles have solid starters at defensive end, and pretty good depth behind them. Adding Clowney wouldn't hurt anything, but at what price?

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Just an extra note on Clowney. The Texans used the non-exclusive tag on him which means a team could sign him, then the Texans could match the offer, or get two first round picks as compensation. Would it be worth it for the Eagles to give up two first round picks for Clowney? Maybe they've got a deal in place with Clowney, but would prefer a trade for lesser future compensation? The non-exclusive tag can let a cash rich team frontload a contract with lots of early cash that another team might not be able to match. This could bear some watching. Drafting late this year (25th) and likely late next year, makes two first round picks a bit less expensive to give up to get a guy like Clowney.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!