Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for April 2018!!!

@Spurt wrote:

@gardenman

What I had read on the draft is Fox is merely going to show what the NFL network is broadcasting......And to counter that move ESPN is going to broadcast their coverage on ABC in addition to ESPN..........

Dang! I would have preferred the other guys. 

That Masters event with the family members is the par three challenge and airs on ESPN at three (ET.) It's pretty fun to watch if you've got the time.

It sounds like things in LA with the Rams may not be ideal. Robert Quinn, who was traded to the Dolphins, seems happy with the trade and says he was suffocated in LA. That could be sour grapes at being traded, or it could indicate some issues in the locker room. They've been bringing in a lot of high profile guys and "suffocating" isn't the atmosphere you want.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@gardenman

What I had read on the draft is Fox is merely going to show what the NFL network is broadcasting......And to counter that move ESPN is going to broadcast their coverage on ABC in addition to ESPN..........

Dang! I would have preferred the other guys. 

That Masters event with the family members is the par three challenge and airs on ESPN at three (ET.) It's pretty fun to watch if you've got the time.

It sounds like things in LA with the Rams may not be ideal. Robert Quinn, who was traded to the Dolphins, seems happy with the trade and says he was suffocated in LA. That could be sour grapes at being traded, or it could indicate some issues in the locker room. They've been bringing in a lot of high profile guys and "suffocating" isn't the atmosphere you want.

@gardenman

The only one they are adding is Troy Aikman to the NFL Network gang and Joe Klatt also from Fox...It wouldve been much more fun and interesting to add Howie, Jimmy, and Terry!!! 

We will see have to wait and see how the free agent mix pans out for the Rams but I dont have a good feeling about it as egos want the spotlight to shine on them.....Better to build through the draft and have "the youngsters" grow as players together and then mix in a couple of free agents...................

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@gardenman

Heres an update from USA Today.....

The NFL said that the first three rounds of the draft will be simultaneously broadcast on ESPN, Fox and NFL Network, while the final four rounds April 28 will now be simulcast on ABC.

ESPN is also bringing College GameDay to the draft mix with an extensive pre-draft show and a college-centered program on ESPN2 that will give fans an alternative to the network's traditional draft show on ESPN.

"Fan interest in the NFL draft grows year after year," NFL chief media officer Brian Rolapp . "We are excited for the opportunity to meet that demand with expanded draft coverage including a record six television networks, while deepening the relationship with our trusted broadcast partners ESPN and Fox."

As part of the new broadcasting arrangement, Fox and NFL Network will simulcast the first three rounds of the draft on April 26 and April 27 with a joint broadcasting team. Fox analyst Troy Aikman will join Rich Eisen, Mike Mayock and Daniel Jeremiah of NFL Network for the first round broadcast, while Fox's Joel Klatt will contribute to the April 27 segment covering Rounds 2 and 3.

ESPN, meanwhile, will add college-centered draft programming on ESPN2 during the first round with its GameDay team, including Rece Davis, Lee Corso, Kirk Herbstreit, Desmond Howard and David Pollack. (Herbstreit will be part of ESPN2's pregame show but contribute to the network's primary draft coverage on ESPN.)

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

And here's a chart from the NFL network:

https://nflcommunications.com/Pages/NFL-Expanding-Coverage-of-the-2018-NFL-Draft-to-Include-Two-Broa...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

Jerry Jones had a championship team built by Jimmy Johnson. He was very annoyed that Jimmy got the credit instead of him and has been trying to prove that he can build a championship team too. The only real problem is he's just proven how good Jimmy was and how bad he's been. Once Jimmy's players were gone, the team has largely dropped out of Super Bowl contention.

@gardenman

What you said is so true....Jerry was jealous because Jimmy was the one that put together the team and coached them well.....After Jimmy left, why even Barry Switzer ran on the talent Jimmy put together, then the wheels fell off as Jerry got more involved in personnel moves and the draft....

A good book to get all the scoop and inside dirt of Jerry's purchase of the Cowboys and inside moves including Jerry's falling out with Jimmy and firing of Jimmy and hiring Switzer is Jerry Jones King Of The Cowboys......Highly recommend on all Redskin fan's reading lists ....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

just when i thought that the ravens were being pretty quiet, we go and sign RG3 for a year! some people are excited......they think it could light a fire under joe flacco. it was a BIG surprise to me!

http://www.wbaltv.com/article/rg3-to-become-a-baltimore-raven/19683577

we are one month closer to football!!!! my orioles have not had a good start, so i am already looking forward to football season. LOL

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt wrote:

@yellowBeetle wrote:

@Spurt

Hey there,

Just catching up on lots of posts! (Have been watching Masters golf coverage over on the Golf Channel...love this week of the Masters!)

That seems silly that FOX would want Joe Buck and Troy Aikman to call the Thursday night games in addition to the Sunday "game of the week!" Surely FOX has other capable people! It's like CBS with Jim Nantz....I really like him but he does football, the NCAA, and golf, including the Masters! 

Btw, last night Nantz called Philly the "City of Champions!" Woman Wink He also described the combo of the Philly area winning both the Super Bowl and the NCAA with Villanova a "Supernova!"

As to Jerry Jones....well, what can one say? It must be terribly frustrating for him to have started out with those Super Bowl wins back in the 1990s and then fall short for so many years. I agree that if they do not do well this year, the coach will most likely be the scapegoat. Jerry, imo, just wears too many hats...and most do not fit. I do think the Cowboys can still be a threat with Dak and Zeke. I know Dak did not do as well last year but personally I think he is very talented. And Zeke is a phenom...as long as he stays out of trouble. They have lots of talent...but are not close to the depth of the talent  of the Eagles, imo!

As to your Redskins, I think Alex Smith is much more talented than Kirk Cousins!! So it might turn out to be a very savvy move! 

@yellowBeetle

I like Jim Nantz....he made some very nice unsolicited comments about our city when he was here announcing the Final Four games ......I like what he said that Villanova  is SUPERNOVA---Woman Very Happy  they really use Nantz for everything....it must be that good announcers are hard to find..OR they pay him really well and make him earn every penny........

I will say this about golf....Id rather watch a golf tournament any day over baseball....I absolutely positively HATE baseball---just to boring for me....watch a pitcher...itch and scratch before they FINALLY pitch.....its just a cure for insomnia....I challenged the guys at work that were baseball fans and asked if they stayed awake for an entire game....their silence lead me to believe they couldnt!!!!....LOL

@Spurt

I so agree about baseball!! The only time I watch is for the World Series...and even then, not always. It just doesn't grab me! I'm married to a life-long, ardent St. Louis Cardinals fan...but even he doesn't watch many games...just keeps track of all of their stats!

Golf is so totally different from football, lol...but I love it! It can be edge of the seat exciting and high drama, imo! The different personalities are such fun, too. The Masters course at Augusta is so beautiful. And this year both Tiger and Phil are playing well so it will be interesting to see how they do against the younger ones like Jason Day, Rickie Fowler, Jordan Spieth,  Bubba Watson, and Rory McIlroy, etc. Rory is going for his career Grand Slam...has won the other three majors...but the Masters has always eluded him. Will be glued to the coverage all four days!! This is the Super Bowl of golf!!Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45

RG3 is a guy with enormous talent, but a fragile body. If he can stay healthy (and that's a huge if) he could be a very valuable guy for the Ravens. Flacco had some back trouble last year and back trouble has a bad habit of recurring. Having a solid backup is smart for Baltimore.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I was surprised by the Ravens signing RG3. That could be a good move for the team; hopefully, he can stay healthy. However,  I wonder if being out of football for several years wil have an effect.

SPURT, I didn't think that you'd agree to trading Kerrigan. It was just a thought. Woman LOL

The Rams considered trading for Beckham, but according to Ian Rappaport, the Giants wanted 2 first round draft picks for him. That, besides his high salary expectations, was too high a price to pay.

NE might be going for a quarterback in the draft. They also need a replacement for Solder.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

just when i thought that the ravens were being pretty quiet, we go and sign RG3 for a year! some people are excited......they think it could light a fire under joe flacco. it was a BIG surprise to me!

http://www.wbaltv.com/article/rg3-to-become-a-baltimore-raven/19683577

we are one month closer to football!!!! my orioles have not had a good start, so i am already looking forward to football season. LOL

@sunshine45

Oh SUNSHINE---NOT RGME....LOL!!!!  And his recent experiences haven't humbled him any either from the interviews Ive seen and read!!!!  

It has to be pretty bad that Browns signed Osweiler and released RGIII.....................

With his brief career with the Cleveland Browns his stats for 5 games 87 completions/147 attempts 59.2 pct, yds 886  TD 2, Interceptions 3, 190 rushing yds 2 TD fumbles 4

Id be praying Flacco stays healthy........GOOD LUCK!