Honored Contributor

NFL News and Notes for April 2018!!!

April will be a pretty crazy month in the old NFL. Teams will start to gather for the first of the OTA's with the teams with new coaches getting a bit of a headstart. Then the rest of the league will join in.

The free agency feeding frenzy has now died down with most of the top free agents already signed.  If you haven't signed by now, chances are you'll get a chance after the draft as teams that needed someone at your position missed out and now need you. 

Speaking of the draft, expect lots of teams maneuvering for a better draft position heading into the draft. Player agents are praying their kids don't do anything stupid just before the draft. By now the kids entering the draft are just sick of the whole thing. Since their college season ended they've been coached up for the combine, interviews, and team visits and just want to get back to doing real football stuff.

By the end of the month we'll know how many quarterbacks went in the first round of the draft. The poor kids are now being dissected and any flaw now gets amplified a thousand times over. "That second game in his freshman year he missed a wide open receiver. Do we really want to risk our pick on a kid who missed a pass like that?" It gets a bit crazy this time of year.

At the end of the draft you'll hear the same thing from pretty much every team. "We were shocked to find him dropping to us at (insert number of pick here.) We had him rated as a much higher ranked player. We're just thrilled to have the kid." That's all BS and they know it, but it's expected so they all deliver it. 

Some interesting TV coming up in April for those of us with Amazon Prime. Their "All or Nothing" series returns with both a college and pro version. The college version follows John Harbaugh's Michigan Wolverines, while the pro version follows the Dallas Cowboys. The first two seasons of "All or Nothing" were very good and I have high hopes for these two new seasons of it.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for April 2018!!!

As a New York Giant fan, I'm eagerly awaiting the draft. I'm wondering if they will select a quarterback ( I hope so ) or .Barkley or someone else. The draft is fun. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1

I think the Giants will take a quarterback, probably Sam Darnold if the Browns don't take him.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenmanwrote:

@QVCkitty1

I think the Giants will take a quarterback, probably Sam Darnold if the Browns don't take him.

That is what I'm hoping for.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well we lost Will Compton to the Titans....he was a good decent  linebacker...he was an undrafted free agent and  starter in 2015 and 2016 and then he got hurt and was used as a backup in 2017

Did anyone see where Fox now wants Joe Buck & Troy Aikman to work Thursday games.......in other words Fox wants them to do double duty....and this creates a problem for Buck who also does baseball games in the fall too........

@teganslaw

I saw where Colts TE Erik Swoope signed an Exclusive Rights Tender....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

The Browns are continuing to bring in every quarterback in the draft for interviews. Interesting. I wonder if they're considering trading out of one and dropping to two (Giants) or three (Jets) and still get a QB? How far could they drop and still get a guy they like? Do the Broncos want to move up to one from five? The Cards or Bills? Does another team covet Barkley or Chubb and wants to move up for them? I would assume the Browns know which quarterback they want at one by now. It's not that hard. They've been studying the kids in this draft for years now. They have their college game film, they've already interviewed them at the Senior Bowl, combine and pro days. I'm wondering if the Bills are dangling those two first round picks plus a bit more to move up to one? The Browns could still grab a quarterback at four and get two more starters later. Don't be shocked to see the Browns trade that first overall pick.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

The Colts' TE position has gotten competitive: Jack Doyle; Eric Ebron. Eric Swoope.  Doyle has been very good and Swoope was coming into his own until he got injured. He should be back this season. Despite his troubles in Detroit, Ebron has made significant strides with that team. Reich plans on utilizing several of the TE's like he did in Philadelphia.

Off topic: Philadelphia has another winner in Villanova. Congratulations to them! The city might get tired of so much celebrating. Woman LOL

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

The Eagles signed linebacker Paul Worrilow to a contract today. They're really stocking up on depth at linebacker and cornerback. Those were the two weaker parts of the Eagles' defense last year. The good news is we don't have to draft either position thanks to the trades and signings. About the only position where we could use a body or two is at tight end. We're two and three deep just about everywhere else. The Eagles will likely grab a tight end, offensive lineman, safety, and defensive end in the draft to give them future flexibility. We've got some higher priced guys on the lines and at safety, so some cheaper replacements for the next few years would help with the salary cap.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@teganslawwrote:

The Colts' TE position has gotten competitive: Jack Doyle; Eric Ebron. Eric Swoope.  Doyle has been very good and Swoope was coming into his own until he got injured. He should be back this season. Despite his troubles in Detroit, Ebron has made significant strides with that team. Reich plans on utilizing several of the TE's like he did in Philadelphia.

Off topic: Philadelphia has another winner in Villanova. Congratulations to them! The city might get tired of so much celebrating. Woman LOL

@teganslaw

Yep Philly may soon be known as the CITY OF CHAMPIONS!!!   Even the lowly NBA 76ers have won 10 games in a row..............

Can my Redsins get one of your TEs....Jordan Reed is good at both running & catching the ball---but he gets hurt too often...we really need to replace him and move on,,,,,but the team is thinking that Reed and Smith would work as a good tandem together and elevate each other's game....But Reed cant seem to stay on the field..............

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

The Rams traded their first round pick for Brandin Cooks of the Patriots. Interesting. The Rams seem to be all in on winning this year.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!