Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for April 2018!!!

@gardenman

I was surprised at the low grades for some of the teams 

49ers--Jimmy G and Lynch's drafting, Kyle's coaching thy should be higher ranked......

If the Texans are healthy especially DeShaun Watson they are going to be a force.......

I think the Broncos will be re-energized under Case Keenum...and with his new teammate Von Miller and the D will be pumped..........

I agree the Seahawks are ranked way too high....about the only thing they have going for them is Russell Wilson....

I'd drop the Ravens and Lions down some slots....

The Falcons strategy has been to be fast and quick on defense, but they are too small, and can be over powered,  , and does that Instagram deletion mean Julio will be traded????  That will hurt them on offense.........So Id maybe move them up perhaps 3 slots......

The Pack has too many holes on defense and not enough weapons for Rodgers.....

Young QB taking over for the Chiefs.....I think he needs more time....Id move the Falcons to the Chiefs slot #9

You never know how Cam is going to react both on and off the field.......

And the Steelers--- will Leveon Bell hold out---and their D needs somework........

The Saints want to win NOW and they almost got to the Super Bowl last season............Id move them up for sure!

The vikings---lets see how fast Capt Kirk adapts to his new teammates and coach.............

You can never count the Patriots out......

The Rams made a lot of moves in free agency....and had a good draft, Goff might be even better....they are another team looking to get to the Super Bowl.......and want it BAD!!!

The Eagles are in a position to repeat BUT--they were lucky about injuries (even with Wentz's injury, Foles performed admirably).....But what will happen if Foles starts the season, plays well....will Pederson bench Foles in favor of Wentz???  Or proceed with the mantra....if its not broken dont fix it and continue with Foles....and what does that mean for the future????

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt

The Eagles got hit a lot with injuries, but persevered. I think it was week one when Ronald Darby, our starting cornerback, dislocated his ankle. Darren Sproles then broke his arm and tore his ACL both on one play. Jason Peters then tore his ACL. Carson Wentz tore his ACL. Our middle linebacker Jordan Hicks injured his ankle week one or two, but played with it before tearing his achilles. Our special teams ace tore his ACL. We lost our placekicker (Caleb Sturgis) to injury and had to replace him with Jake Elliott. Lane Johnson missed a couple of games with a concussion. Our backup middle linebacker went down. Alshon Jeffery played all season with a torn rotator cuff.

There aren't many teams that could lose their starting quarterback, left tackle, middle linebacker, placekicker, running back, special teams ace, and more and not just survive, but thrive. It was a remarkable year. I think there were just a handfull of starters who played every game. Brandon Brooks and Jason Kelce on offense may have been the only two offensive linemen to start every game. Alshon played every game but played them all with a torn rotator cuff. This was just a weird year in that the backups came in and the team didn't miss a beat.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

@Spurt  Are you sure you’re not my sister?! Lol! Between you and her I’m going to finally learn some football! 

Thanks for the most interesting post. 😺

Honored Contributor

Teams are starting to flush the older vets off their roster now that they've drafted kids to play those spots. The Redskins cut loose defensive tackle Terrell McClain after drafting a pair of defensive tackles. We'll see lots of similar roster moves take place over the next few weeks/months once teams get a chance to see their kids in action. Out with the old and in with the new. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Interesting. The Eagles have now also invited Rutgers quarterback Kyle Bolin to participate in a rookie minicamp tryout. That gives us six quarterbacks hanging around the locker room. You typically want four for training camp and we've now got six. At most we'll carry three quarterbacks on the final roster and those three seem pretty well set in Wentz, Foles and Sudfeld. 

You don't typically go heavy on quarterbacks as they don't get hurt in training camp since no one is allowed to hit them. Even if you go heavy, you might have five guys. Six is a lot. Wentz is now running, which means he can do pretty much everything he needs to do. We've seen him throwing the ball so he can participate in at least limited football activities. Reps Wentz can't do should go to Foles and Sudfeld so they're ready if need be, so what do you do with the other three guys?

It's not like you can practice all day long any more. The CBA limits practice time, so when do the three kids get a chance to do anything? Will they just use the kids for the OTA's that the vets don't need? See how they do, then keep one for camp? It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman

As far as Redskin WRs ............

Crowder is a Smurf type WR--he has good hands and is reliable slot receiver, good quickness and run after catch, good jumping ability....probably the best WR we had......

I will have to wait and see how Richardson does

Most of the WR corp is just average.....that is why we had to rely on TE's Vernon Davis and Jordan Reed (when healthy) and RB Chris Thomposn could catch as well as run ...sadly he got injured too....

Doctson sat out his first year due to injury, so he just started to get his feet wet last year, he is tall and fast so we will see how he develops in what is his actual 2nd year.......

I dont know if we'd want Dez they are trying to build a certain type of team....with guys that have a good work etchic, play hard and love the game, and work as a true team...Dez doesnt fit into that mold...... 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt

Dez might be a better fit than you think. I came away somewhat impressed by him after watching him on "All or Nothing." He's got a real passion for the game, was generally loved by his teammates ( or so it appeared) and was far more of a team player than we're led to believe. There's one scene where Dez is on the sidelines talking to the coaches and Dak holding up two fingers and the TV announcers say he's complaining about only having two balls thrown to him, but he's actually telling them that he's facing double coverage. I was never a Dez fan, but I'm not so sure his passion for the game isn't misinterpreted much of the time.

He'd be a big target for the Redskins if they were to sign him. He's a big, physical receiver who had too many drops last year, but if the price is right, could be a big help.

As to Dallas, it looks like they're losing their number one and two receivers from last year in Dez and Jason Witten. They're going kind of small at receiver. (One creative poster had photoshopped the three small receivers sitting atop one another's shoulder with the caption saying all they needed was Dez's jersey and they could be him.) Dak Prescott is many things, but accuracy is not his strong suit. He's losing two receivers with big catch radiuses and replacing them with smaller guys. That's likely to hurt his stats this year. Dez and Witten could reach out and snag an errant pass. The new guys, not so much. Dak's going to have to get more accurate, which will likely mean more short passes, and that will let defenders anticipate the short throw and jump routes.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!