Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for April 2018!!!

Here's the Redskins Undrafted Free agent signings-

• Simmie Cobbs, WR, Indiana
  • Micah Holder, WR, San Diego State
  • Ty McCulley, OL, CSU Pueblo
  • Sean Welsh, OL, Iowa
  • De'Mornay Pierson-El, WR, Nebraska
  • Matt Flanagan, TE, Pitt
  • Martez Carter, RB, Grambling
  • Timon Parris, OT, Stony Brook
  • Davon Durant, DL, Marshall 
  • Jerod Fernandez, LB, NC State
Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw

Yeah, but there are several Go Fund Me accounts set up to fund a name change for Dallas Goedert, so that may not be a long term problem. The preferred name so far is Phil.

By the way, I love watching Goedert's highlights. His ability to make one handed grabs is unlike anything I've seen. In college he had to have gloves custom made due to the size of his hands. They're officially XXXL sized. He snags anything with reach and anything that's not in orbit is pretty much in his reach. He catches with either hand too which is especially impressive. Teams talk about a receiver's catch radius, which is how far he can reach a ball. Goedert's 6'-5" has 34" arms and a 35" vertical jump. Basically he can go twelve feet up and bring down the ball. There aren't many defenders who can match that. It makes him an incredible red zone target. There's not a lot you can do to defend that.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@nrm  More info on Derrius.......more of the other side of the story......  

This is from Pro-Football Weekly by Eric Edholm 4/27/18 11:31PM

As the New England Patriots were on the clock Thursday night, the phone rang at the table in the green room where LSU RB Derrius Guice and his assembled camp were sitting. This, they thought, was the call they were waiting for:

On the other end: the Philadelphia Eagles. It appeared that Guice’s wait might end and that he might be the final pick of the first round. This was the player they appeared poised to take at that spot.

The Eagles’ plans changed quickly. A trade offer came in and they moved back to pick up much-needed Day 2 picks, trading with the Baltimore Ravens in the dramatic move up to get Lamar Jackson.

So Guice had to wait until Friday, and overnight questions and rumors alike swirled: Was there something going on? There was talk of a TMZ bombshell on the way. There were vague reports about a mysterious “incident” — one that may or may not have happened on a team visit. Even fake reports about Guice supposedly telling teams he would kneel during the anthem; those quickly were debunked.

But what actually was going on?

Guice was asked whether that alleged incident occurred when he visited with the Eagles — and he denied it: "My trip to the Eagles was great. There wasn't an altercation when I went. It was great. They were also like family. Me and Duce (Philadelphia's Assistant Head Coach and Running Back Coach, Duce Staley) have a great relationship."

A source at LSU was confident Guice would be a first-round pick and backed up Guice’s story on Staley: “Duce loves [Guice].” That person told us entering Thursday Guice’s camp felt that one of two teams were most likely to take him — the Seattle Seahawks or the Patriots.

Both teams went with running backs not named Guice. The Seahawks took San Diego State’s Rashaad Penny at No. 27, and Aztecs head coach Rocky Long went on radio Friday afternoon to say that he felt the Patriots would have taken Penny had the Seahawks not. Instead, the Patriots selected Georgia’s Sony Michel.

It appeared Guice was off their radars, despite both teams calling LSU in the days leading up to the draft and receiving even more assurances that Guice would pass their varying levels of character checks and balances.

No Seahawks. No Patriots. No Eagles.

And Guice waited even more — all the way until pick No. 59, when Washington finally ended the drama, even if the mystery hangs in the air. At that point, Guice and his family had slid away from the spotlight of AT&T Stadium to a local restaurant where they camped out for the longer-than-expected wait.

"It did surprise me because a lot of the things came out of nowhere and weren't true," Guice said on a conference call with Washington media. "I just didn't understand … why me? Out of all people? Because I'm great to everybody, I have a great personality and I just didn't understand why everything just hit so hard with me out of everybody."

Far more intriguing than how Guice fits into Jay Gruden’s backfield alongside Samaje Perine is this: What really scared teams off on him?

Sure, there were football warts. Guice had some fumbles in college and wasn’t nearly as productive in 2017 as he was in 2016, hindered by some knee and leg injuries. His third-down ability was a bit underdeveloped. Guice’s hard-running style might shorten his career on the back end.

But more likely, NFL teams were scared off by his immaturity. Sources say that Guice is “addicted to video games,” but as we were told by the same person: “That might be the best place for him to be, is at home playing video games. I think the world of Derrius."

In the background of all of this was Guice claiming on SiriusXM Radio that an NFL team’s official asked at the NFL scouting combine if he was gay and that another team asked if his mother "sells herself" — in other words, was she a prostitute? Guice since has told NFL teams that he was taken out of context, and the NFL’s investigation into the matter yielded no evidence of either question occurring.

Guice’s rough upbringing is a complex story. His father was murdered when he was 7, gunned down in a Denny’s restaurant. Guice grew up in a really bad corner of Baton Rouge. His brother was charged with attempted murder. NFL teams have said that they don’t consider Guice a bad person, but some were worried about him being prone to distractions once he received fame and a pro contract.

As one team told us: “We’re in a big city. There’s a lot of nightlife here. I don’t know if he’d be great for us. If he went to Cleveland or Pittsburgh or Green Bay or whatever, that might be his best hope.”

That’s vague, and it’s not clear if that person would endorse Guice landing in Washington D.C. or not. That’s immaterial now. He’ll get a chance to be the lead horse there and will face the Eagles team that passed up taking him (and passed Guice up again when they traded up in Round 2 to draft South Dakota State TE Dallas Goedert) twice a year for the foreseeable future. Guice’s preseason debut? That would be up in New England against the Patriots.

"We looked at the reports and talked to Derrius' agent and got a pretty good indication that we felt good about taking Derrius at that position," Gruden said. "Lucky to get him. This is a hard-nosed runner, plays hard, he can catch the football, he can pass protect, he's got good vision and a guy we really liked in the early rounds."

But not the first round. No team apparently did. Twenty-nine of them passed at least once, and in most cases twice.

"We got to know Derrius quite well. He's quite the character," Gruden said. "He's got a great personality, loves football and is going to be a great competitor for this football team. We know that.

"We felt like he fit in just fine. Love his talent. At the end of the day it's all about the skill set he has ... ."

Guice the competitor — and the runner he showed in 2016, outperforming Leonard Fournette that season — could be special. Add more motivation to his plate, plus a dose of humility after falling a full round past where he thought he would go, and it could be scary.

Said our LSU source, “When people ask what kind of competitor he is, my response is, ‘The guy could have gone anywhere else and gotten every carry for three years. He came to LSU because it was his dream, and he said he wanted to compete with Leonard [Fournette] every single day.’ That takes a special kind of person to do that.

“He’s a little immature, yeah, and he’s on social media a lot, but [he’s not immature] not when it comes to work. He’s a guy that … he’s still needs a little more maturing to do, as most 20- and 21-year olds do. Physically, he’s a man-child.”

As for the rumors that Guice’s troubles stemmed from drug use, the source denied that firmly.

“He’s never failed a drug test, and we test more than anybody in the country,” he said. “We kicked Tyrann Mathieu out of school, you know? [Derrius] never failed a drug test, never got in trouble for other off-field stuff.”

That was from early April, and that same source denied any reported incident that was being discussed — at the very minimum it didn’t happen on campus while he was a member of the Tigers’ team.

It’s very possible that most of that talk is not real and that teams just never got that warm, fuzzy feeling when meeting with him. Part of it is Guice’s fault. He fired his first agent, Fadde Mikhail, and hired a new agent, one who clearly was not ready for the stock fall or the rampant rumors spreading.

There were reports of Guice missing a team’s flight for a meeting, and that’s never a good look. But is it the kind of things that would drop a player that far? Something isn’t adding up.

"[He’s] not a bad person,” our LSU source said. “Some players are going to meet [NFL scouts] in person and devalue themselves because of the personality they have. I think Derrius is kind of the opposite of that … "

Washington feels like it struck gold. And maybe that’s so. But there are a few chapters of this story that feel like they’ve had the pages torn out. It will be interesting to see if we find those details out — or if it even matters at this point.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

The Colts added some UDFA s : LB Skai Moore from SC; WR Steve Ismael,  Syracuse; QB JT Barrett, Ohio State. 

The wide receiver position will be very competitive. Hilton is #! with Chester Rogers probably being 2. The others will have to try out for jobs to make the roster. 

They added another QB just to be safe. Suppose Luck isn't quite ready or there are some injuries. Don't like to think that, but I guess it pays to consider everything. 

Gardenman, Yellowbeetle: the Eagles roster looks good, but your team still has a Dallas who was named after the Cowboys. Bad karma? Or could prove to be some good luck. Only time will tell. Woman LOL

@teganslaw

With a name like Dallas....Woman Wink

Maybe he should just go by DG....

Or on the other hand, maybe it will get the players in a fighting mood each time they hear someone call out "Dallas!" Especially during the practice sessions before the two times they play the Cowboys!Woman Happy

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

One of the quirky things about Dallas, and cause for optimism, is that though his birth father named him Dallas after the Cowboys, his stepfather was a Packers fan and raised him as a Packer fan. The recent Cowboys/Packers history strongly favors the Packers. They've frustrated the heck out of the Cowboys in recent years. That could be a good omen for the Eagles.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

@Spurt Thanks so much for the post. Darrius has a big personality and loves to laugh and talk. He’s a 20 year old kid who likes to play video games. So now someone who needs their player drafted feels that they have to make up rumors about the most unlikely, yet more qualified player. It’s a shame that it happens but it does and I’m sure that Darrius hasn’t been the only player to meet that fate. 

I read an interesting article by Alex Hickey who interviewed Gabe Fertitta Darrius ‘ high school coach and mentor and father figure which was about the kid who fans and players know. Mr. Hickey writes for SEC Country. 

I also should mention that I know very little about pro football or much about the game itself unlike my family members who eat,sleep and breathe it. Bless their hearts, but I think I know a good player when I see one and what he does on the field seems to translate to off the field behavior. 

Thanks for letting me ramble on. 

Looking forward to your Thursday Q Talk post,as always! 

Honored Contributor

Pretty much every year one or more players get hit with late accusations of misconduct, undiagnosed injuries/medical conditions, criminal misdeeds, and the like. Last year it was Laremy Tunsil with the pot smoking video that got released just before the draft. This year it was Derrius Guice's turn. 

Who would do something like that? The list of suspects is very, very long. Rival agents who were turned down by Guice. Former teammates who want to be drafted before him, perhaps to win a bet. Teams looking to draft him in a later round. Rival players at the same position. "Friends" and family who are jealous. Agents representing other players at that position. Sports reporters who hold a grudge against the kid. And more.

All it takes is someone to say the right thing to the right person and a player can start to fall in the draft. Once the fall starts, a few more whispers can accelerate the fall until the kid's side of the story comes out. A good agent would be putting out this fire before it could build up any steam, but Guice's team was a bit slow to react. You want to be fighting back from the first hint that something's up. The Guice story was allowed to blossom however and no sources were ever named. It was all anonymously sourced and used to hurt the kid's draft stock.

In the grand scheme of things it won't matter in the long term. If Guice is a good player and a good person, this will all be forgotten. He'll make up any money lost in the fall. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

With the draft behind us and rosters more or less set, the focus now turns to coaching. Between now and July, teams will have to coach up these newly formed rosters. New players, whether draft picks, free agent signees, or traded players will have to learn a whole new system. Veteran players will be refreshing their knowledge. Ninety individuals will have to unite into a cohesive unit.

This is when personnel departments get overhauled. Scouts get hired and fired. GM's who are on shaky ground can get the boot. This is now cutdown season for NFL front offices. They've built the roster and now they're gone.

Some teams will quickly discover players who just don't fit. They'll get dropped and a new kid or veteran free agent will be brought in to replace them. Some teams will discover they have an embarrassment of riches at a position and their GM will try to find a way to profit from it.

Most coaching staffs will feel they have a legitimate shot at the playoffs this year. A belief that will soon end as they work more with their new players and start to see their flaws. Holes in the roster will become more and more apparent.  That kid who ran a fast forty in shorts may be tortoise-like with a helmet and pads on. Injuries will start to pop up. Some will linger far too long. Some will end a player's season.

July is the lull in the NFL season. OTA's end and there's a break before training camp. This is typically when the rogue players get in trouble. Failed drug tests get announced and suspensions handed down. Rookies with more money than they've ever had find new ways to get into trouble. Coaching staffs get their first, and last, real time off. Then come training camps.

Training camps are the litmus test for teams. The pads go on and teams get to truly see what they've got. On some teams the offense will dominate, on others the defense. Holes will become more and more apparent. Coaching staffs will start to plead with their front offices to find better players and GM's will be scrambling to find the diamonds in the rough. Any hope that a team will be a playoff team will soon vanish. Other teams will realize they're in good to great shape.

Our teams are largely what they'll be now, for better or worse. Some teams (the Rams for example) are betting it all on winning this year. Will they win that bet? We'll start finding out in September.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I didn't know the back story on Guice, only the negative news about him. This puts things in a better perspective. He's been through so much that I hope he does well with Washington.

Too funny about Gofundme accounts to change Dallas' name! I never heard about a Gofundme account for that reason. Of course, the preferred name would be Phil......

JJ Watt had a funny tweet during the draft. Something like: "Gotta love NFL fans. Thousands of people stand in a stadium to watch a guy read names off a paper." LOL. Actually, that's a good point.

Chris Ballard had a post draft interview and was asked about Dez Bryant possibly going to Indy. He mentioned that Bryant is a great player and then said "we'll see." That started  Indy fans thinking about Bryant as a Colt.. I don't see it happening; Bryant doesn't seem to fit Ballard's plans. The latest news is that Buffalo could be interested in him.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

Dez Bryant's an interesting guy. I just finished the new season of "All or Nothing" featuring the Cowboys, and Dez came off pretty good in that. (At least relative to my expectations.) He's a big, physical target with a big catch radius, who was playing with an inaccurate quarterback, but played hard. I came away more impressed with Dez after seeing that. He wasn't great, but he was average to above average as a receiver last year. He wouldn't be a horrible pickup for a team. He had 69 catches for 838 yards last year. That's not too bad.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!