Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for April 2018!!!

[ Edited ]

And in the opposite end of the spectrum the Redskins -----

Signed a one year deal with PhilTaylor whose comeback this past season ended with torn quadriceps in the third preseason game. He had played his way not only onto Washington's roster, but into the starting lineup at nose tackle. The Redskins had remained interested in retaining him, but for much of this offseason weren't sure if he planned to continue playing.

Because of various knee injuries, Taylor has not played in a regular-season game since Nov. 6, 2014. He recently posted a short video on Instagram of himself working out, signaling a desire to return.

Taylor, who will turn 30 on Saturday, showed promise as a first-round pick by Cleveland in 2011, starting every game. But that was the last season he played all 16 games. He was in Denver's camp in 2016 but suffered another knee injury and was placed on injured reserve.

The Redskins need to get a medical insurance company as a sponsor.......perfect fit!!!

And in the world of FANTASY FOOTBALL---Jerry Jones stated he doesn't see a huge gap between the Cowboys and the Eagles.  And he went to say, "“They’ve got a team that mirrors us in a lot of respects,” Jones said.

@gardenman@yellowBeetle  after those remarks the thread is all yours.... Smiley Wink

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

The Cowboys aren't a bad team but they've been bleeding talent the last few years while their established starters have gotten older. While the Eagles are two and even three deep at nearly every position, the Cowboys are only one player deep at many positions, and depth is a big problem for them. Dak Prescott regressed last year. They need him to step up this year. Ezekiel Elliott is one domestic assault from a lifetime ban, and I'm not optimistic that he'll stay out of trouble. 

Rod Marinelli, the Cowboys defensive coordinator, has been something of a miracle worker for the Cowboys. They've lost a ton of talent, but he's made the most of what's left. 

I don't think the Eagles mirror the current Cowboy team as much as they mirror the old Troy Aikman Cowboys. We've got a stud quarterback, a stud runner, a monster defense and good depth everywhere. JJ always seems to be trying to recreate those teams and he now sees the Eagles as being a team like those were. His current team doesn't mirror those old Cowboy teams all that much.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman

What is in that water in North Texas I did not see a mirror image between the 2018 Eagles and 2018 Cowboys....

Agree with your assesment ----

Dak did regress and deosnt resemble either Foles or Wentz at all....and as you said their "star" Zeke is another incident away from a suspension......and they have an aging player, but much beloved by Cowboy fans, Witten....that they still need as a key to their offense...Dez is showing his age, and lets see how their new guy does....

The defense was depleted and lots of holes there.........

If they don't do well I have a feeling Jason Garrett will be the scapegoat............

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

@Spurt

Hey there,

Just catching up on lots of posts! (Have been watching Masters golf coverage over on the Golf Channel...love this week of the Masters!)

That seems silly that FOX would want Joe Buck and Troy Aikman to call the Thursday night games in addition to the Sunday "game of the week!" Surely FOX has other capable people! It's like CBS with Jim Nantz....I really like him but he does football, the NCAA, and golf, including the Masters! 

Btw, last night Nantz called Philly the "City of Champions!" Woman Wink He also described the combo of the Philly area winning both the Super Bowl and the NCAA with Villanova a "Supernova!"

As to Jerry Jones....well, what can one say? It must be terribly frustrating for him to have started out with those Super Bowl wins back in the 1990s and then fall short for so many years. I agree that if they do not do well this year, the coach will most likely be the scapegoat. Jerry, imo, just wears too many hats...and most do not fit. I do think the Cowboys can still be a threat with Dak and Zeke. I know Dak did not do as well last year but personally I think he is very talented. And Zeke is a phenom...as long as he stays out of trouble. They have lots of talent...but are not close to the depth of the talent  of the Eagles, imo!

As to your Redskins, I think Alex Smith is much more talented than Kirk Cousins!! So it might turn out to be a very savvy move! 

Honored Contributor

Jerry Jones had a championship team built by Jimmy Johnson. He was very annoyed that Jimmy got the credit instead of him and has been trying to prove that he can build a championship team too. The only real problem is he's just proven how good Jimmy was and how bad he's been. Once Jimmy's players were gone, the team has largely dropped out of Super Bowl contention.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@teganslawwrote:

The Colts' TE position has gotten competitive: Jack Doyle; Eric Ebron. Eric Swoope.  Doyle has been very good and Swoope was coming into his own until he got injured. He should be back this season. Despite his troubles in Detroit, Ebron has made significant strides with that team. Reich plans on utilizing several of the TE's like he did in Philadelphia.

Off topic: Philadelphia has another winner in Villanova. Congratulations to them! The city might get tired of so much celebrating. Woman LOL

@teganslaw

Yep Philly may soon be known as the CITY OF CHAMPIONS!!!   Even the lowly NBA 76ers have won 10 games in a row..............

Can my Redsins get one of your TEs....Jordan Reed is good at both running & catching the ball---but he gets hurt too often...we really need to replace him and move on,,,,,but the team is thinking that Reed and Smith would work as a good tandem together and elevate each other's game....But Reed cant seem to stay on the field.............

For Doyle or Swoope, what would Indy get in return? Another draft pick or maybe Ryan Kerrigan? Seriously, Washington does need help at TE if Reed can't stay healthy. Vernon Davis is good, but I don't understand why the team didn;t use him much. Davis hardly got the ball in the past few games.

It sounds like Jerry Jones is reminiscing about  the past Cowboy teams. He needs to focus on the present and realize that they have some problems. Dallas has talented players, but they need more help.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@

@teganslaw wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@teganslawwrote:

The Colts' TE position has gotten competitive: Jack Doyle; Eric Ebron. Eric Swoope.  Doyle has been very good and Swoope was coming into his own until he got injured. He should be back this season. Despite his troubles in Detroit, Ebron has made significant strides with that team. Reich plans on utilizing several of the TE's like he did in Philadelphia.

Off topic: Philadelphia has another winner in Villanova. Congratulations to them! The city might get tired of so much celebrating. Woman LOL

@teganslaw

Yep Philly may soon be known as the CITY OF CHAMPIONS!!!   Even the lowly NBA 76ers have won 10 games in a row..............

Can my Redsins get one of your TEs....Jordan Reed is good at both running & catching the ball---but he gets hurt too often...we really need to replace him and move on,,,,,but the team is thinking that Reed and Smith would work as a good tandem together and elevate each other's game....But Reed cant seem to stay on the field.............

For Doyle or Swoope, what would Indy get in return? Another draft pick or maybe Ryan Kerrigan? Seriously, Washington does need help at TE if Reed can't stay healthy. Vernon Davis is good, but I don't understand why the team didn;t use him much. Davis hardly got the ball in the past few games.

It sounds like Jerry Jones is reminiscing about  the past Cowboy teams. He needs to focus on the present and realize that they have some problems. Dallas has talented players, but they need more help.

@teganslaw

NO TEGAN---Not Kerrigan my favorite Redskin and Sharknado "star"....  !!!!!  

Yep, some of the Redskin's play calling puzzled me. I realize Vernon is 34 and may not run as fast as other options, but he played well....perhaps it was Kirk that was given Vernon as an option if Crowder wasnt open, but he chose to do something else ....probably throw it at Doctson's ankles.....Woman Frustrated

Jerry Jones is living in the past of the Cowboys in their glory days of the 90's...wake up Jerry it's 2018 and the Cowboys arent "America's Team" anymore...........

Boy those Rams are making all kinds of deals to build that team into a Super Bowl Champ...But one word of caution getting a bunch of free agents together doesnt always work...(trust me the Redskins tried it for many years)....so we will have to wait and see how the pieces of the puzzle fit and if their personalities blend to create team chemistry.....I feel sorry for the Chargers that are going to be team on the outside looking in, in LA....I wonder if they will even half way fill that 10,000 seat soccer stadium..............

Honored Contributor

@yellowBeetle wrote:

@Spurt

Hey there,

Just catching up on lots of posts! (Have been watching Masters golf coverage over on the Golf Channel...love this week of the Masters!)

That seems silly that FOX would want Joe Buck and Troy Aikman to call the Thursday night games in addition to the Sunday "game of the week!" Surely FOX has other capable people! It's like CBS with Jim Nantz....I really like him but he does football, the NCAA, and golf, including the Masters! 

Btw, last night Nantz called Philly the "City of Champions!" Woman Wink He also described the combo of the Philly area winning both the Super Bowl and the NCAA with Villanova a "Supernova!"

As to Jerry Jones....well, what can one say? It must be terribly frustrating for him to have started out with those Super Bowl wins back in the 1990s and then fall short for so many years. I agree that if they do not do well this year, the coach will most likely be the scapegoat. Jerry, imo, just wears too many hats...and most do not fit. I do think the Cowboys can still be a threat with Dak and Zeke. I know Dak did not do as well last year but personally I think he is very talented. And Zeke is a phenom...as long as he stays out of trouble. They have lots of talent...but are not close to the depth of the talent  of the Eagles, imo!

As to your Redskins, I think Alex Smith is much more talented than Kirk Cousins!! So it might turn out to be a very savvy move! 

@yellowBeetle

I like Jim Nantz....he made some very nice unsolicited comments about our city when he was here announcing the Final Four games ......I like what he said that Villanova  is SUPERNOVA---Woman Very Happy  they really use Nantz for everything....it must be that good announcers are hard to find..OR they pay him really well and make him earn every penny........

I will say this about golf....Id rather watch a golf tournament any day over baseball....I absolutely positively HATE baseball---just to boring for me....watch a pitcher...itch and scratch before they FINALLY pitch.....its just a cure for insomnia....I challenged the guys at work that were baseball fans and asked if they stayed awake for an entire game....their silence lead me to believe they couldnt!!!!....LOL

Honored Contributor

Vernon Davis was probably the best offensive weapon the Redskins had last year. The dude can still play.

I have to check the Golf Channel. Typically on the Wednesday before the Masters they have an event where the pros and their familes get involved. It's kind of neat to see the pro hand a putter to their kid to finish a shot.

As to baseball, I tend to agree with the boring part. Nothing good happens when the other team is at bat. You can't steal the ball from them and hit a home run yourself. All you can do is try to prevent them from scoring. In football the defense can take the ball away and score, but they don't allow that in baseball. I tend to switch channels when the other team is at bat and forget to switch back.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think broadcasting two NFL games in a week is all that much of a stressor for an announcer. Baseball, hockey, and basketball announcers all do multiple games a week. A game on Thursday then a game on Sunday doesn't seem all that bad to me. The network could even schedule their Sunday game so it's reasonably close to the Thursday game to minimize travel.

It sounds like Fox will be covering the NFL draft this year as part of their new TV package. That could be interesting. Howie, Terry and Jimmy commenting live on the draft could be fun. That's my favorite pre-game show cast and if Fox puts them together for the draft coverage it could be pretty entertaining.  

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman

What I had read on the draft is Fox is merely going to show what the NFL network is broadcasting and mix it up adding just Troy Aikman from the Fox folks......And to counter that move ESPN is going to broadcast their coverage on ABC in addition to ESPN........Rather than monotone Troy it wouldve been more fun to throw Howie, Jimmy, and Terry in the mix......