Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for April 2017!!!

@gardenman @teganslaw

I kept looking on Sports and didnt see this thread..... I thought everyone took a siesta until the NFL draft---LOL

I think the NFL got the idea of rotating the draft from the NBA who have been doing it for years......although the top NBA teams never get a chance for it because we are too far down in the draft.(they thought would the fans on those team even bother to care--NBA draft much different than the NFL--lot less interest and hoopla---after the #1 and #2 players are picked it becomes uninteresting...)...or in the case of my Spurs, trading it away, or drafting a European player and keeping him in Europe until he learns the fundamentals before they put him on the regular roster....or perhaps the developmental league team....

I think once Romo gets into broadcasting and sees and feels no more wear and tear and pain on the body and more family time....I think it would be a really unique situation for him to jump back into a uniform and play QB..............

@gardenman

So did you see this.................LOL!!!!...

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/04/redskins-fan-dale-earnhardt-jr-philadelphia-eagles-car-paint-scheme

@teganslaw

The mock drafts are interesting but I don't think beyond the first couple of picks nothing the "experts" mocked have ever worked out................Having said that I like some of the Redskin possible selections in latest mocks.....ILB from Alabama Rueben Foster (Nick Saban has them ready for the pros).......and Daniel Jeremiah with NFL Network has us taking a DE ...Hason Reddick Temple  Reddick can play off the line of scrimmage on run downs and rush off the edge on passing downs. He is an elite athlete who has really helped himself during the postseason.

Yep, the Texans inability for get a decent QB in the offseason could open the door for the Colts and other teams.....The Colts have a good one in Andrew...the QBs seem to be getting scarcer and scarcer....which makes me all the more mad that the Redskins didnt get the long term deal with Cousins locked in LAST YEAR before applying the tag....Woman Frustrated.........Are the Colts putting Chuck on the hot seat this year??? Ive seen some positive comments on what your team has done in free agency....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

The Cowboys lost a lot of their defense to free agency. They're going to need a really good draft. Plugging in five, six, seven new starters isn't easy.

@gardenman @yellowrose

And best news of all for non-Cowboy fans is we hope Stephen Jones leaves all the draftingand personnel moves to Jerry Jones.....looking for a backup QB, Mr. Jones Johnny Manziel is on line 1-he's saying he's a heck of a lot better than what ya currently got....and think of all the Texas A&M alumni that would flock to the Cowboy games..definitely sounds like a good example of  Jerry move.........Woman Wink

@yellowrose

When Tony Romo took the broadcasting job, did you think Tony Romo not mentioning Coach Jason Garrett in his goodbye speech was saying a lot about his QB/Coach relationship or nothing at all......there have been specualtion on both sides of the fence...........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

I heard that the Raiders might also be interested in Sherman. It sounds like a trade will be happening; am following the story to see where he ends up. 

SPURT, I saw that Washington signed ILB Zach Brown. Good signing; I was hoping the Colts might end up with him, so congrats on your team being the one. 

@teganslaw

My Redskins may have lost some weaponry on offense (I really wish the team could have somehow kept Pierre Garcon).....but defense is more of a priority and it looks like Zach will help our pitiful defense a solid selection.....not sure about the others though....will have to see....  

Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

The Patriots are really making a splash this off season. I'm wondering if maybe Brady and Belichick are both planning to step aside soon and they're trying to go out with a bang.

@gardenman

Brady is still playing beyond his years, but some of the other players on the roster are getting long in the tooth.....look how the Chiefs were able to get to Brady....and what REAL weapons does he have.....and their defense could use an upgrade....  I think all the changes are just a way of them staying in contention....  OR it could be as you say and Beli is ready to throw in the towel....but what would he do with the rest of his life???  try a new team????  college????...doesnt seem like a candidate for the broadcasting booth doing color commentary???.....or perhaps he could go to rock concerts (he does that in the offseason).....???????????????

Honored Contributor

@Spurt @I think the Eagles car has a nice look to it. I'm sure Dale Junior may not be thrilled, but those things happen.

The Eagles got some bad news when Beau Allen tore a pec while working out recently. He'll be out until sometime in September. We've got decent depth at defensive tackle though, so as long as he's the only one that drops, we should be okay.

Christian McCaffrey is really climbing on a lot of the mock drafts now. Some have him going eight now. Before the combine and interviews most had him graded as a second round pick. He's done everything right since the draft season kicked off and likely made himself a lot of money.

It's sounding like Joe Mixon's interviewing isn't going as well. A lot of evaluators have him as the best back, but his personal issues have him sliding back in the draft. He could end up like Vontaze Burfict and talk his way all the way out of the draft.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

SPURT, I don't know about Pagano being on the "hot seat" this season. Chris Ballard has said that he has confidence in Pagano, and Irsay hasn't said anything , so far. It seems that Grigson was the problem, but if the Colts miss the playoffs once again, things could change. My guess is that they'll wait and see how it all works out. Ballard has made some good signings, and there is still the draft coming up. Everything will become more clear when the season actually starts

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

The Cowboys lost a lot of their defense to free agency. They're going to need a really good draft. Plugging in five, six, seven new starters isn't easy.

@gardenman @yellowrose

And best news of all for non-Cowboy fans is we hope Stephen Jones leaves all the draftingand personnel moves to Jerry Jones.....looking for a backup QB, Mr. Jones Johnny Manziel is on line 1-he's saying he's a heck of a lot better than what ya currently got....and think of all the Texas A&M alumni that would flock to the Cowboy games..definitely sounds like a good example of  Jerry move.........Woman Wink

@yellowrose

When Tony Romo took the broadcasting job, did you think Tony Romo not mentioning Coach Jason Garrett in his goodbye speech was saying a lot about his QB/Coach relationship or nothing at all......there have been specualtion on both sides of the fence...........

@Spurt Romo apparently got a bit ticked last year when it became apparent that some of the coaches and players had switched their allegiance to Dak and were part of team Dak instead of team Romo. Reportedly there were players and coaches he no longer talked to as the season went on. It sounds like the Dallas locker room was pretty divided towards the end of the season. If Dak gets off to a bad start this year those divisions could reappear and become a big problem.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

In a somewhat surprising move, the Eagles signed quarterback Matt McGloin to a contract. I'm not sure we'll keep three quarterbacks this year, but we've got three on the roster now. That backup QB battle could get kind of interesting now.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

@gardenman @yellowrose

@yellowrose

@Spurt Romo apparently got a bit ticked last year when it became apparent that some of the coaches and players had switched their allegiance to Dak and were part of team Dak instead of team Romo. Reportedly there were players and coaches he no longer talked to as the season went on. It sounds like the Dallas locker room was pretty divided towards the end of the season. If Dak gets off to a bad start this year those divisions could reappear and become a big problem.

@gardenman

Interesting.....even though our local sports guys are focused on Cowboys where NFL is concerned and I didnt hear anything at all about the divided locker room between coaches and some players....of course 2 of the local channel's sports guys I refuse to watch....they are real homers and rah rah kinda guys for both Cowboys & Spurs...I prefer the more realistic reports the good along with the bad and thankfully 2 guys Don Harris & Davd Chancellor give unbiased reports....I even wrote David and asked if he was perhaps a Redskin fan because awhile back when the Cowboys were struggling he was always negative when it came to the Cowboys--he sent me a response that he was actually a long time Cowboy fan but he was going to be an accurate journalist.....

Well Jerry might have released Romo, but NBA Mav's owner, Mark Cuban, is having Romo sit on the Mavs bench for their last game on Tuesday....and the Mavs will do some kind of special honor for him.....

Well gee are the Eagles stockpiling QBs for future trade bait perhaps.....?????????????

So @gardenman  do you plan to make the trip and attend the draft in Philly?

Honored Contributor

@Spurt I'd been considering attending the draft, but my new job is from noon to 8:30 PM so there's no real time to get there. It sounds like it'll be pretty crowded there. Philly is already closing streets and preparing the area. Getting there and getting away afterwards will be a struggle. I'll just watch on TV and follow on Twitter instead.

I was surprised to hear that McGloin was available. I didn't remember him being a free agent, but apparently he was. I would have thought he'd be highly valued as a number two, but we got him cheap as a three. He could be trade bait down the road. Foles could be also. Both guys will get a lot of preseason reps and whichever one looks the best will likely be the backup and the other guy will likely be shopped.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!