Trusted Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes/March 2018!!

@gardenmanwrote:

@yellowBeetlewrote:

I think the Eagles are very lucky to have three very good and talented QBs!!

Wentz had a truly phenomenal season that was sadly cut short. Everyone is looking forward to his return!

Foles really stepped up ... and became the MVP of the Super Bowl! So glad that Doug Pederson said this week that Foles is very happy staying on with the Eagles...and that it is a "safe bet" he will be there in September.

And Sudfeld looks very promising!

So if Wentz cannot start right away, Foles will be there...with Sudfeld as his back-up. And then as soon as Wentz is 100%, he will take over again. The Eagles are in an enviable position with their three terrific QBs!

I don't think there's any team in the league with a better quarterback situation. Two proven starters and a highly valued younger guy, is a pretty good spot to be in. Foles will be a free agent in 2019. Sudfeld will be a free agent in 2020. Chances are the Eagles will be looking for another young guy in next year's draft. They did interview Lamar Jackson at the combine, so if he falls to 32 (very unlikely, but you never know) the Eagles might get tempted to grab him this year. I don't think they would, but you never know.

@gardenman

I agree ... can't think of any other team with three such talented QBs. I like your idea of the Eagles taking Lamar Jackson if he is still available...or maybe Mason Rudolph. But have a hunch they will both be gone before the Eagles get to pick! 

If the Eagles do not go with a QB, what position do you think they will prefer to get at #32 and beyond? Frankly, I have no clue! As you have written, the team is so strong and has such depth. But Howie Roseman is a genius at personnel decisions, so we can be sure their picks will be well thought-out!

Honored Contributor

@yellowBeetle

My best guess for the Eagles first round pick would be safety, defensive end, offensive tackle, or tight end. They need to find cheaper options at safety, defensive end, and offensive tackle. Jason Peters, Brandon Graham, Rodney McLeod, and Malcolm Jenkins are all pretty pricey guys who may need to go in 2019 or 2020 to free up money for Wentz. If you can get a cheap kid for five years with pick 32 for one of those spots, it would be smart. 

Tight end is a position where we're short a body. We've got a couple of guys on the practice squad who could step up, but a more talented kid might be safer.

I also wouldn't rule out running back. A lot depends on what they truly think of Corey Clement and Wendell Smallwood. Both have shown flashes, Clement more than Smallwood, but does the team truly believe in them? We also have Donnell Pumphrey who sat out all last year with a hamstring issue, but is the all-time leader in rushing yards in division one college football with 6,405 yards rushing over his four year college career. Jay Ajayi still has a year in his contract also, so the need at running back isn't huge, but if the right guy is there, who knows.

If a talented quarterback like a Lamar Jackson were to fall to 32, I could see the Eagles grabbing him. They'll more likely sign an undrafted kid as a camp arm and then maybe keep him on the practice squad to work with him.

Linebacker is an option and arguably a need, but the Eagles almost never draft a linebacker in the first round.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Well running backs continue to be the running theme (pardon the pun) for the Redskins in the draft....one reporter said, " You could ask Williams about the weather and inevitably he might say, “It’s cold outside. I can’t do anything about that, but I can fix the running back position!”

They are looking for someone that can run with power and patience, something last year's pick Samaje Perine failed to live up to....But someone that could fall to the Redskins at 13 is  Derrius Guice, from LSU. They could probably trade back and still get him. The Redskins plan to meet with him before his pro-day April 4.  Another prospect is RB Nick Chubb from Georgia.............  Other players Washington would like to see fall to 13 include safety Derwin James, safety/corner Minkah Fitzpatrick and of course the one many mocks having them pick, defensive lineman Vita Vea

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

@gardenmanwrote:

@yellowBeetle

My best guess for the Eagles first round pick would be safety, defensive end, offensive tackle, or tight end. They need to find cheaper options at safety, defensive end, and offensive tackle. Jason Peters, Brandon Graham, Rodney McLeod, and Malcolm Jenkins are all pretty pricey guys who may need to go in 2019 or 2020 to free up money for Wentz. If you can get a cheap kid for five years with pick 32 for one of those spots, it would be smart. 

Tight end is a position where we're short a body. We've got a couple of guys on the practice squad who could step up, but a more talented kid might be safer.

I also wouldn't rule out running back. A lot depends on what they truly think of Corey Clement and Wendell Smallwood. Both have shown flashes, Clement more than Smallwood, but does the team truly believe in them? We also have Donnell Pumphrey who sat out all last year with a hamstring issue, but is the all-time leader in rushing yards in division one college football with 6,405 yards rushing over his four year college career. Jay Ajayi still has a year in his contract also, so the need at running back isn't huge, but if the right guy is there, who knows.

If a talented quarterback like a Lamar Jackson were to fall to 32, I could see the Eagles grabbing him. They'll more likely sign an undrafted kid as a camp arm and then maybe keep him on the practice squad to work with him.

Linebacker is an option and arguably a need, but the Eagles almost never draft a linebacker in the first round.

@gardenman

Thanks for that in-depth assessment! 

I watch these various draft shows on the NFL Network and hear lots of names bandied about ... so based on your projected position needs, I'll toss out a name for each!Woman Happy

Safety...Armani Watts from Texas A&M...kind of a hot and cold player...but when he is good, he is supposed to be really good!

DE...Sam Hubbard, Ohio State... he could go sooner than 32nd

OT...Orlando Brown, Oklahoma...he did terribly at the combine in his 40 yd dash but is still supposed to be very good!

TE...Dallas Goedert, South Dakota State...have heard him compared to both Zach Ertz and Trey Burton!

Read that the TE coach for the Eagles was at SD State looking at Dallas Goedert so I will bet on him!! 

Honored Contributor

@yellowBeetlewrote:

@gardenmanwrote:

@yellowBeetle

@gardenman

I watch these various draft shows on the NFL Network and hear lots of names bandied about ... so based on your projected position needs, I'll toss out a name for each!Woman Happy

Safety...Armani Watts from Texas A&M...kind of a hot and cold player...but when he is good, he is supposed to be really good!

OT...Orlando Brown, Oklahoma...he did terribly at the combine in his 40 yd dash but is still supposed to be very good!

TE...Dallas Goedert, South Dakota State...have heard him compared to both Zach Ertz and Trey Burton!

Read that the TE coach for the Eagles was at SD State looking at Dallas Goedert so I will bet on him!! 

@yellowBeetle

Ive been hearing TE Dallas Goedert being bandied about for the Eagles....but how would someone with the first name of DALLAS play in Philly---he'd probably have to change his name...LOL!  But they said his power added to the Eagles's other weapons and the combination would create a huge headache for opponent's defensive coordinators.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

@Spurtwrote:

@yellowBeetlewrote:

@gardenmanwrote:

@yellowBeetle

@gardenman

@yellowBeetle

Ive been hearing TE Dallas Goedert being bandied about for the Eagles....but how would someone with the first name of DALLAS play in Philly---he'd probably have to change his name...LOL!  But they said his power added to the Eagles's other weapons and the combination would create a huge headache for opponent's defensive coordinators.....

@Spurt

Woman Very Happy

I thought that, too, about his first name!! Maybe he could just go with his initials...D.G ! Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

I'm not sure the Eagles could draft a guy named Dallas in Dallas. It just feels wrong. Now, Mike Gesicki, the Penn State tight end has an Eagles' sounding name. "Yo, Gesicki! Nice catch! Here, have a beer!" Gesicki also has a good work ethic. In his first year at Penn State he was having hands issues, so he did everything possible to improve his hands, including catching three hundred balls a day in practice.

Some mock drafts have Mike Mcglinchey, the Notre Dame offensive tackle,  falling to the Eagles. I don't think he'll fall that far. He's got great technique and instincts, just needs to bulk up. He's 312 pounds, but he's 6'-8", so that frame needs more bulk. It's a lot easier to add bulk than teach technique and instincts. If he's there at 32 the Eagles might sprint to turn in the card. The kid has great technique, but the bigger defensive ends can bull rush him a bit. Get his weight up to 335-340 and he'd be a beast. Adding bulk is relatively easy given NFL nutritionists and trainers.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw @yellowBeetle @gardenman @sunshine45

Image result for easter bunny and american football clip art

Trusted Contributor

@gardenmanwrote:

I'm not sure the Eagles could draft a guy named Dallas in Dallas. It just feels wrong. Now, Mike Gesicki, the Penn State tight end has an Eagles' sounding name. "Yo, Gesicki! Nice catch! Here, have a beer!" Gesicki also has a good work ethic. In his first year at Penn State he was having hands issues, so he did everything possible to improve his hands, including catching three hundred balls a day in practice.

Some mock drafts have Mike Mcglinchey, the Notre Dame offensive tackle,  falling to the Eagles. I don't think he'll fall that far. He's got great technique and instincts, just needs to bulk up. He's 312 pounds, but he's 6'-8", so that frame needs more bulk. It's a lot easier to add bulk than teach technique and instincts. If he's there at 32 the Eagles might sprint to turn in the card. The kid has great technique, but the bigger defensive ends can bull rush him a bit. Get his weight up to 335-340 and he'd be a beast. Adding bulk is relatively easy given NFL nutritionists and trainers.

@gardenman

So funny about "Yo, Gesicki..."Cat Wink 

Have heard that McGlinchey is Matt Ryan's cousin and went to the same William Penn Charter HS! 

Both of those sound good!

Trusted Contributor

Happy Easter to @gardenman, @Spurt, @teganslaw, @sunshine45, and all others who read and post here!